Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on April 25, 2004
Wusthof's reputation for quality knives, coupled with easy cleaning, sold me on this kitchen shears.
Contrary to the description, no plastic cap or screw removal is involved... over the normal cutting range of motion, these function just like any other quality kitchen shears... but thanks to some very nice machining of the joint, they come apart if the blades are opened all the way to 90 degrees.
The bevel machined into the joint seems to clamp the blades together as the shears are reassembled, ensuring that the blades fit closely and cut well. The handle is comfortable and symmetrical, so it should fit left or right hand equally well.
Perhaps shears aren't quite so glamorous as forged knives, but this is a well thought-out product and well worth the price.
11 comment224 of 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2005
There's a recipe I do that requires me to butterfly a chicken - essentially cutting out the backbone. I've done it with cheaper German-made kitchen shears and it actually broke in my hand. This Wüsthof is a must have for this recipe - it works very well. And the clean up is really easy: just take it apart and wash. Simple, easy to clean, tough, and essential.
22 comments122 of 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2007
These replace an old pair of Fiskars shears, and it is useful to note a couple of differences between the Wusthof and Fiskars products. The Fiskars had a larger handle for the fingers and a smaller one for the thumb. The Wusthof is a totally symmetrical design, so it doesn't matter how you pick them up (nice when I am in a hurry) and left-handers can use them as easily as right-handers. Both come apart, but the Fiskars had a large and kind of awkward looking pivot while the Wusthof shears have a smaller and smooth joint - better because it doesn't catch on things when you cut and it won't trap dirt. I looked at a couple of other shears when I bought the Wusthof's. One pair had a bottle opener, and I was concerned this would catch on things and collect dirt. The Henckel Twinshear was certainly nice, but pretty pricey at $50.

The Wusthof shears are positively reviewed by America's Test Kitchen and this is deserved. They are a quality product. They are made of German Solingen steel, which is a high quality steel that holds an edge well. The blades have small serrations and there is a section near the pivot for cutting more difficult objects (e.g., chicken bones). They cut very well. To me,they are a good size - not too large or small. There is a pliers-like area below the handle that is intended to help with opening bottles. I have pretty large hands and find the shears fit comfortably.

These shears come apart easily for cleaning and, as other reviewers noted, the pivot joint is beveled to tighten the blades as they slide together. One reviewer noted that they are dishwasher-safe. I was always told that you don't want to put cutting blades in the dishwasher because it diminishes the tempering of the steel. Wusthof recommends hand-washing and I will be following that advice (as I do with all my knives, food processor blades, etc.).

Overall, I am very pleased with these shears. They are moderately priced, work well, and look like they will last many years.
11 comment62 of 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2008
I read a lot of reviews before I purchased these shears. The thing that was mentioned over and over again was how easy they came apart for cleaning. What they didn't say is the the shear come apart constantly when you're using them. For example: I was cutting an uncooked chicken apart and the shears opened (fell apart) 7 times. It was very aggravating. The plus size of the shears is that they ARE very sharp and should be easy to keep sharpened. I've opted to buy a different brand and style.
55 comments103 of 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2002
These kitchen shears are everything I was looking for. They come a part for easier cleaning, which really comes in handy when I've cut into something sticky, and will also be nice when they need to be sharpened. And best of all, they're Wusthof, so I know they're the same quality as the knife set I have. I love them- and so did my Mom- I'm buying one for her for Xmas!
0Comment59 of 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 30, 2005
(Before anyone discounts my critique for poor spelling, pun was intended.) My Wusthof scissors were included in a set I bought on Amazon and seemed to be a nice inclusion I didn't really need. I find now, though, that I use them almost daily. They are solidly constructed, as sharp as my knives and retain their edge by honing as I do the knives. Being able to unhook the two sides so easily makes both honing and cleaning very simple. Cutting a chicken into pieces either to cook or serve a purchased rotisserie is effortless. I highly recommend Wusthof products from my use of them for several years and think at this price these shears are a screaming bargain and a must have.
0Comment37 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2012
I've owned these shears for several years now and they have been a disappointment almost since day 1. I bought them because of percieved quality of the Wusthof name, and the near 5-star reviews on Amazon. I really don't know how people can write about cutting apart a chicken with these things. The steel has way too much flex, making them lousy performers and dangerous during heavy tasks. In fact coming apart is pretty much the only thing they do well. Mine did not come especially sharp, and what meagre edge they had they sure didn't hold. There also seem to be some quality control issues with the hinge. After a year or two of moderate use mine became much too loose and developed a noticeable wobble, making them more prone to come apart when I don't want them to. These are the kind of cheap shears Wusthof adds as filler to their block sets that people get as wedding gifts. They are not adequate kitchen shears.
11 comment29 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2005
This is the one that gets the most beating in my cutlery set. I've been using it for about 2 months. I use it to cut butcher's twine, fruit netting, open beer bottles, most everything. I even use it to cut through chicken wing joints, ribs, trim fat off meat, and it'll still glide through paper like the first day I bought it. I love that it comes apart. No more trying to scrub out food that's been stuck on the screw, which is very hygienic. It's sturdy and has a nice weight to it. Even opening and closing with your hand feels like you are in control. The shears do not slip or need heavy pressing to get it to work. It's glides. The material feels wonderfully smooth on your hand. Although, my mom was the first to notice that it does say it's made in china in very small gray lettering. But it doesn't matter! Who cares? I didn't even noticed until she said it. You definitely will not get poor craftsmanship. This screams sharpness and Wusthof engineering at it's best. They stood by this one. Bravo! I highly recommend it to anyone looking for quality and dependability!
0Comment24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2005
These are essential shears. Scissors that do not come apart are not good for food; because, the food gets stuck and rots. These scissors come apart when you fully open them; and, they clean VERY easily.
Followup: After washing in dishwasher; these rust. I bought some kitchenaid scissors for a tenth of the price that do not rust.
22 comments22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2007
I like the way Wusthof knives cut; however be sure to note that these shears are only three inches blade. They don't open up well for cutting chicken. Otherwise, they are very good quality.
11 comment19 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse