‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Santoku Knife, March 9, 2008
This knife, alongside the Wusthof Chef's knife, has been among the staples in my kitchen for many years. I would not recommend sharpening this knife with the Wusthof sharpener, however. Treat the knife well well -- use a smooth ceramic polishing rod/steel -- and it should serve the owner well for many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Santoku didn't cut it for me vs chef, but great knife if that's what you're into, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Wusthof 7-in. Classic Hollow Edge Santoku Knife with Bamboo Board. (Kitchen)
Received 7/8/14

I've been debating how to rate this.
If you love Santoku's I'm guessing this is a five star vs other brands
If you are debating chef vs Santoku, then I'd say the chef wins out for me and this is four stars.

The bamboo board is nice and of courses needed oiling but it wasn't bone dry. It has feet on the back so it's not two sided. It has branding which means it may not be a great photograph board but your call on that.

I purchased because it was the same price as the santoku alone.

I'm impressed with the sharpness. Wusthof are the first sharp knives I've purchased and based on reviews, these are the knives to get if you're going to cook western meals. Japanese knives likely work fantastically if you're making japanese foods. The knives have been developed and designed for the types of foods that you would run into.

So, my four star rating, let's talk about it.

The knife cuts amazingly but the front 1/5 section feels a bit duller and tougher to cut if I attempt to use it like a chef's knife for tomato dicing and onions using horizontal and vertical slicing 3/4 of the way into them. Slicing in the middle and it feels sharper/better than the chef knife (and it should as it's supposed to be an even tighter angle). Maybe I'm using the knife wrong, but I wanted a good vegetable knife and this just doesn't seem to be 100% it although it's sharp and it works. It may also just be that the knife factory edge isn't great on the front and needs to be sharpened. I don't know.

Carrots feel like a little more work too (vs chef) I think this is due to the santoku feeling significantly lighter than the chef which means a little more work is required.

So if you like Satoku, this is supposed to be one of the best. If you're debating santoku vs chef, I would personally recommend chef. If you want a lighter knife, this could be a good fit.

My four stars is more for Santoku vs Chef and the fact the front of the blade didn't feel as sharp or didn't glide the way I wanted it to. To me, the Santoku isn't a knife I need. Others will disagree and so I really think it comes down to personal preference. If you love Santoku over chef knives, then this is the one you should purchase.

Balance with the pinch grip is fantastic

Classic vs ikon vs gourmet. (when researching I had questions here about the differences)

Gourmet is cheap and stamped and I'd recommend a certain swiss (fibrox?) knife over it if you want budget and sharp. It's stamped but has great reviews except for the handle.

Ikon is the same but with a different handle and the balance is ALL in the handle. I thought I'd love the ikon but after feeling it in my hand, I switched direction. It's also much more expensive. It's not worth it.

MACs would be the other knife I'd look at. It's been reviewed fairly highly for sharpness but the steel is harder meaning it'll hold an edge longer, but is harder to sharpen. Hard steel knives also seemed to have a lot of issues with chipping.

Shuns are more about the "pretty factor", based on research I did looking into all the knives. I have to admit, william sonoma had some shun knives that felt great in my hand and the prettty almost overroad the $150 price difference. A review that stated that particular knife wasn't factory sharp and required sharpening settled me to wusthof.

Handle size: I've read some reviews on wusthof that report small handles... I'm 6'2" with big hands and there's no issue with the handle unless they're trying to sword fight with them. google knife skills on youtube. It'll show you the pinch grips and other grips to use. Either way, always test out a knife in the store to get a good feel. I highly recommend william sonoma as they were fantastic with letting us sample although the store I went to didn't have any MAC knives.

I think that's about it other than the air-pocket divets don't work to keep food from sticking. At least not my food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly sharp knife, January 11, 2007
The Wusthof Classic santoku is an amazingly sharp knife. It also has a slight curve that allows a rocking-cutting action. This knife is well balanced and comfortable to use. One of the general claims to fame of the hollow-ground santoku is that foods won't stick to the blade when slicing. I have not found this to be true. Still a dandy knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, November 28, 2013
Previously I bought a 7 piece Wusthof Classic block set and I love it. The block has several extra slots for expansion and this Santoku fits in perfectly. This knife is very sharp right out of the box and will stay that way with care in use unlike cheap stainless knives that dull quickly. If you love to cook and you can afford it, this is a good investment. It's very good for mincing and slicing smaller veggies like garlic, shallots, onions, mushrooms, carrots ;and also good for finely slicing cabbage for sauertkraut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife!, September 19, 2013
I believe you only need a few knives to get the job done, and this is certainly one of the basic must haves! Spectacular german quality as expected, you get what you pay for in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a knife, November 19, 2009
Wow after using this knife I really was surprised how well it cut. I cook a lot and had purchased a Japanese knife from a Japanese knife maker Shun. It was a good knife but kept chipping and rusting at the edge. The Wusthof is very durable and I am not having the same problems with this knife. I also find it a lot easier to sharpen.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHARP!, October 7, 2014
Oh my, what a nice set! Ordered one for my kids' anniversary and one for myself based on a recommendation from Ree Drummond. Have only used the knife to slice homemade black bread and it was SOOO sharp. I'm left handed and less expensive knives are sharpened for right handed people. This feels GREAT so far, and the cutting board is beautiful...a very handy size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife, May 28, 2014
I already have one and wanted another for cooking with family. It is a fabulous knife beautifully balanced and a joy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars knife and board, May 3, 2014
this was a Christmas gift for my son who loves to cook. it was a fantastic buy and it included the cutting board. I am a happy customer and so is he.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife!, February 8, 2014
We love this knife! Works so well, stays sharp. We have several knives in this line. Very nice board too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›