Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Wusthof Gourmet 12-Piece Knife Set with Block
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 17, 2013
Buyer beware. the Gourmet line deceptively looks like the Classic line from the picture, but it's far inferior. Much lighter and thinner. The blade only partially goes through the handle so the handle is part of the structure of the knife not just a grip. And it's plastic and unlikely to last like the Classic. You might have thought you were getting deal, buying the set at what seemed half the price. But at best they are worth half the price and probably not even that
88 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2013
Having owned 4 sets of Wusthof knives in my life, I am about 99% sure that these are fakes. They are rusting after being used less than two weeks. They are also flimsy and not built like Wusthof knives are typically built. They will not balance in your hand. The labels looked like they were printed on an inkjet printer. I will be returning these ASAP for a FULL refund.
33 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2013
It's unbelievable to me that two of the steak knives would rust after washing them three times. I bought these knives to replace Henkels that I've had for nearly 10 years, which have never rusted.

I sent them back to Amazon and was refunded my money.
on August 11, 2012
I'm very disappointed with the handles of these knives. Within a somewhat short time after purchasing these, one of the handles broke and fell off one of the knives. Within a short time after that, another one cracked and soon broke and fell off. I'm not sure what the material is that is used by Wusthof, but it seems very brittle. I've had much cheaper knives that have never had issues with handles breaking.

If I was buying another set of knives, I think I'd go with another brand.
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 27, 2011
We bought this set after a great deal of shopping and examination. The block is well balanced and looks great, and the knives hold a good edge. I recommend them.
on June 3, 2011
These knives have been fantastic. I wish they were slightly heavier to the feel, but they are great quality. They don't feel cheap at all. I have medium sized hands and they're perfect for me.

The edge was very sharp straight out of the box.
on July 29, 2012
I looked at a LOT of different knife reviews for the best block set in an good price range. After looking at a lot of products offered and the reviews on Amazon as well as other sites, I settled on this set. Personally, I am very happy with my choice. The knives are very sharp and they do their job well. The knives are very light in weight but I personally don't feel that has an effect on their performance. I think if you want anything fancier you would have to spend hundreds of dollars for a professional set, which of course not everyone wants to do. I am someone who cooks in the kitchen 6 days a week and I have not been disappointed by any of these knives. They meet my needs perfectly fine. I should note that the block set comes with a couple of extra slots so I purchased the Wusthof Gourment Santoku and vegetable knifes so that the block would be full. The Santoku knife does not come with this set but it is my favorite knife because it serves many cutting purposes. Overall I would say I recommend this to anyone looking for good quality knife set but not wanting to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
on October 11, 2011
A+++ Very nice knife set, I wanted a quality product from Germany and that's what I got.Good and sharp,my wife's a cook and uses them daily.
on January 20, 2012
The knives work great, it warrents mentioning that the Wusthof red triton symbol on the handle of the knives is a mere sticker. The blades themselves had the wusthof text on them.
on September 3, 2013
Wustof makes some very high-end knives and cutlery--these are not those. When you use these knives, you will know that you are using the "value" line the company makes. No issue there--other high-end manufacturers do the same thing. Just bear in mind that this company makes many levels of product and this is one of the lower ones.

That being said, I'd say these are an excellent value. The blades are great. They come very sharp, and the manufacturing process seems to be precise with good quality control. They are not very weighty, and the handles feel a bit cheap. If I had to identify where they cut costs, I would definitely say the handle. But, they work fine for everyday kitchen use and more serious home chefs.