on March 22, 2010
Beware!! Image is deceitful: the design of the knives that is being featured online is much more simple and poorer quality (no curved handle or red label) than the photo that's being used to promote the product! I instantly returned it: actual product and product in the photo are not the same!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 19, 2010
I have a Wusthof Classic that's been sharpened so many times (a decade of daily use), it's come time to replace it. Saw this deal, saw the Classic line in the pictures and ordered.
What was pictured is NOT what was received!
Don't be fooled. This is not the Classic set, it's the cheap stamped out set, and because of it, this isn't a deal. A stamped knife is a stamped knife. It's cheap, light, can't hold an edge and while not really bad, is not something you want to use every day for years and years.

It's a disgrace for Amazon to picture a different product in anothers product description, but it's my fault for trusting them with it and not simply reading reviews and making sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 19, 2001
There are really two main competitors in the high-end mainstream kitchen knife market: Henckels and Wusthof. Those who have used both usually have a preference. My preference (and therefore bias you should know about) is for the Wusthofs.
The Wusthof Classic line is the more conservative counterpart to the Grand Prix line. The only difference, however, is the handle style. I personally prefer the Grand Prix, but this is an issue of personal preference. The balance and grip of these knives are as close to perfect as I have found. For those wondering what benefits a higher priced knife provides, one benefit is that the blade (or tang) is one piece all the way through the handle. This makes the blade much stronger, and less likely to snap.
This set includes an 8 inch chef's knife, a 3 ½ inch paring knife, a 6 inch sandwich knife, 7 inch bread, a sharpening steel, and an oak block
The 8 inch chef's knife is a great knife. Wusthof offers four sizes of chef's knives in the Classic line, 5, 6, 8 and 10 inch. For most home cooks, I think the 8 inch knife is the best choice. The 5 and 6 inch are a bit small for bigger jobs, but the 10 inch is too big for most jobs. While the 8 inch isn't perfect for all uses, if you are only buying one size chef's knife (and most people only buy one), this is the one I would recommend.
As for the 3 ½ inch paring knife, this knife falls into the category of overkill for me. Most cooks will get by just fine with the 4 ½ inch utility knife. There is really no notable difference in size for the vast majority of applications between the 3 ½ inch paring knife and the 4 ½ inch utility knife. I prefer the 4 ½ inch utility knife, but the 3 ½ inch paring knife will do the trick.
I have found very few uses for the 6 inch sandwich knife. I prefer the larger size of the chef's knife or the smaller 4 ½ inch utility knife. This knife is just the wrong width and length for most tasks, and falls into the overkill department, except when part of a set.
The bread knife, is a great knife. Many people think tomatoes are the hardest food items to clearly cut. I think bread is much more difficult; but this knife makes the task seem easy. However, this particular bread knife, at 7 inches, is probably too short. I prefer the 9 inch knife.
When it comes to sharpening steels, I have found very little difference between Henckels and Wusthof. As long as you buy a high end steel, you really won't go wrong. Therefore, I shop for this item on price, and Henckels has a price advantage. However as the steel comes with the set, you won't go wrong with this steel.
This set is a good deal as far as price. However, keep in mind you really only get 4 knives, two of which I think are the wrong selections, and one of which I think is too short.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2009
This is the Gourmet set of Wusthof which is a lower quality set from the Classic. If that is what you want, that's great (they're still decent quality knives for half the price). Read below - shamelessly ripped from another website [...]

Wusthof Classic:

The best selling line in Wusthof's stable of knives is the Classic which features a 3 rivet handle design. These knives are high quality and Wusthof has done very well over the years with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it should be the modo for this line since there have been no changes to it in decades. These are great knives but and are indeed classic in blade design and traditional handle fit and feel. The balance of the knife is good in the 8" Chef Knife that we tested. We wish they would sharpen these knives without a bevel and many professionals will have the bevel removed by a sharpening service as soon as they purchase them. Overall a solid choice but we do prefer the updated blade design of the Le Cordon Bleu as well as the updated handle design of the Culinar. We score this line 8.0

Wusthof Gourmet:

This is their only stamped line. Stamped knives differ from Forged knives in that the blades are literally stamped from a thin sheet of steel. They tend to be significantly less money than the forged knives and are ½ the weight. For those on a budget these knives perform reasonably well but not as good as those above. For this reason we do not recommend these knives. Score 6

Forged vs. Stamped [...]
Forged Knife:

"Forged knives are hand made through a process of extreme heat and hand molding. Each forged knife is carefully and hand crafted with extreme detail. The tang of the knife merges into the handle and is typically secured by three rivets."

Stamped Knife:

"Stamped knives are made from templated cutters that cut the shape of the knives into flat metal. Stamped knives are lighter but don't have the same quality and balance as the forged knives do. Due to the lack of density, the stamped knives don't hold edges as well as the forged knives. Stamped knives are usually less expensive. "

The Benefit Of Forged Knife And Stamped Knife

Due to forged knives undergo a treatment process to enhance the flexibility, density, and hardness of the knife. Forged knives tend to be heavier than stamped knives. Besides that, forged knives generally offer greater strength and durability as well as better balance, a heavier feel and lasting sharpness. Most of the top notch best kitchen knives are forged knives that come with the more expesive price tag.

Stamped knives are generally less expensive, but tend to lack the strength and balance of a forged knife. Take this as a general rule, though. There are some reasonably priced, yet high-quality stamped knives on the market today that have excellent cutting ability and a light-weight maneuverability favored by many chefs.
on December 31, 2009
I bought these knives after reading many reviews and comparing these knives to other brands. UPS delivered the knives and I opened the set and in an instant knew I would return the set ASAP. These knives have plastic handles that are lightweight and feel cheap. The blades seemed flimsy and were thin. I expected more and will now go to a store to feel the knives in my hand before another purchase.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2004
***EDIT-- This review was written in 2004 for the Wustof CLASSIC knife set, NOT THE GOURMET. The Classic set is about 4-5 times the cost of the Gourmet set. The Gourmet is the economy/entry level set from Wustof. Amazon has since linked this review to the Gourmet set as well. Please keep that in mind.***

I recently purchased the Wustof Classic set after much research between the various Wustof and Henkel models. In general, the Wustof's had a much nicer feel and balance to them. I also prefered the blade weight and thickness of the Wustof. I personally prefer the Classic over the Grand Prix, but it is 100% personal preference as the only real difference is the handles.

I compared the Wustof's to the Henkel's at one of the knife stores in the mall. Comparing them side-by-side was very enlightening and made my mind up that I will only buy the Wustof's from now on. I highly recomend going to one of the mall knife shops and playing with them, most have a wide selection of all of the high quality knives. For this kind of money it is the only wise way to make your decision. I would recomend purchasing from Amazon.com though, the knife stores I went to were about 25% more expensive unless they had a "sale" on a specific item, in which case it was the same price as Amazon.com.

These are one of the best knives you can get, although they are no better than the other models and makes. All knives at this level are top quality, please base your decision on preference and try them out first.
on October 6, 2004
These knives are superb! I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase. I purchased this set during an Amazon "Friday Sale" combined with a kitchen items promotion and ended up paying approximately 165 dollars!

These knives are flawless (both handle and blade)in their construction and razor sharp right out of the box. They practically "sing" when you brush your thumb against the blade.

I have never used "good" knives before, so i was amazed at how effortlessly the chef's knife cut through a potato! I barely applied any pressure and the knife just did all the work. I understand that is how good knives are supposed to be, but it was still pretty awesome to experience.
on March 20, 2007
I know, I know, people like sets. We like things that match. It looks classy on the counter, etc. And we want to own "the best" and show it off to our friends. But after three years, I only use two of these knives consistently -- the chef's knife and the paring knife. I love the Wüstof chef's knife - for the paring knife I am indifferent. So ultimately, I probably could have saved a lot of money buying a cheap bread knife and paring knife and just buying the Chef's knife from this set. Not to mention that Forschner (Victorinox) makes an excellent, much lower-priced chef's knife that has been very highly rated (higher than this chef's knife) by Cook's Illustrated. So while I love these knives, I am a bit embarrassed that I probably bought the set more for the "show off to friends" factor than a serious analysis of what I needed in a knife set.

Pros:

1) Solid construction

2) Holds edge well

3) Feels expensive

Cons:

1) Relatively heavy and not terribly maneuverable

2) I don't need all the knives they include - do you?

3) The block only has one full-width slot, so it is difficult to add another chef's knife or larger knife to the set

4) We're paying a lot for "forged" "full-tang" construction that doesn't really mean anything to a home cook making one or two meals per day
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2004
The Wusthof line probably has the BEST knives ever made. It sure is an investment, but you buy the quality. If you are willing to pay a bit more - for knives that will last you a lifetime, then you are on the right track.
This is a perfect starter set. You have the mandatory 8" chefs knife, you have the serrated bread knife, and the sandwich knife is the perfect size for the "other" stuff. I personally use the sandwich knife to do my carving jobs, so I don't need the carving knife, unless you do lots of turkeys and hams (I don't).
To this great starter set, you add the knives that fits your cooking needs. Not everyone have the same needs, or are the same skill level. To this set I added the santoku knife, the 5" serrated utility and the 6" flexible boning knife. This is a better way than ending up with extra knives that you do not need. With the knives I mentioned I have all the knives I will ever need to do any of my cutting jobs.
Can I add a star to this rating system? Thank you Wusthof!
on January 27, 2003
This set is the best set that I could find for knives costing up to 50% more than this set (i.e., not cheap, not outrageously expensive). I looked at many, many sets and talked to several many professional chefs as well as many excellent cooks (mostly Italian) who had experience in these areas. This was the set I setttled on.
The blades are durable and sharp (top priority) and resharpen well and easily. They are easy to clean and look very nice. The handling is great (second priority). A good local shop carries lines of many different top-notch brands. Of course, the owners and sales people have tried all of those and many others. So, what did they spend THEIR money on? You got it -- Wusthof. They like them for the same reasons.
One trend that I have noticed is that if their is a slight preference for another brand, the main reason ends up being the handling, although the people may not realize that themselves until I mention it. Some of the competition is either larger or more of a straight design, which is more to the liking of larger hands. However, for the "average" person, the slightly smaller more friendly slight curvature of the Wusthof is more to their liking. You really become "one" with the knives which makes the job easier and more enjoyable.
These knives do not have the same "status" as some other knives, but I am convinced that these knives are better. I put my money where my mouth is.