5.0 out of 5 stars A kitchen necessity
Published on June 22, 2010 by Harp lady

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong cleaver in picture. You will not get the item shown.
Published on September 5, 2012 by Ben

5.0 out of 5 stars A kitchen necessity, June 22, 2010
Harp lady (Morgantown, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
This is our favorite knife. If you have a cleaver and a paring knife, you don't really need anything else. We bought one for each of our kids when they moved out of our house. It is wonderful for chopping and slicing and the size of the blade makes it easy to transfer minced vegetables from the cutting board to the pan. Our Wusthof knives have lasted for years and I expect the cleavers will still be used daily 25 years from now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non Better., June 1, 2011
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
If you want a Chinese vegetable cleaver, then this is the one. Made from 3/16" high carbon stainless stock, and flat ground to a paper thin cutting edge. I have not found a better one than this. Plenty of weight for crushing, and yet, beautifully balanced for tireless cutting, pinch grip a must. The razor thin edge gives complete control for all precision work. Check out some Martin Yan videos for cutting demonstrations using this knife. I give this an eleven out of ten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome knife, March 7, 2011
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
As an Executive Chef, I use my knifes daily. I have a complete set of Wusthof knifes and this Chinese Cleaver was a welcome addition. Actually it has become my new kitchen work horse. I would say however this knife is not for people with beginner knife skills. For beginners i would recommend starting with a 7 or 8 inch Wusthof santoku knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good vegetable cleaver. Solid and no nonsense., November 15, 2011
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
Not much to say about it, it is made to do its job. Solid handle with 3 rivets.
Sharp out of the box, and doesn't require re-sharpening with use of a steel. Unless you go and chip it...

Just a few notes to clear up confusion about the Chinese "vegetable" cleaver.
It's not a meat cleaver, don't chop bones with it.
Chinese chefs use it for almost everything, not just vegetables; it's the equivalent of a French chef knife.
About 2/3 to 1/2 the weight of a meat cleaver of the same size. It will fit into the cleaver slot of your knife block, ~3 inches wide.

I find this is a good mid range price since you don't want cheap 10-20$ cleaver that might fly out of your hand; and unless you are a professional chef, $100+ for 1 knife is just ridiculous (unless you plan to use it for the rest of your life).

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong cleaver in picture. You will not get the item shown., September 5, 2012
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
I was sent a cleaver that is different to the one in the image. I returned it, and a replacement was sent. This one was also incorrect. Amazon are aware of this problem and have not changed the image. Admittedly, they did replace the item and pay for all postage, but why they have not fixed this problem is a mystery. I guess other people aren't bothered by the discrepancy. Just be aware that if you buy it you will get a cleaver that is different to the one pictured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have kitchen tool!, March 31, 2009
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
We call this the "clever-cleaver" at my house. I trust Wusthof products, in general, and this cleaver was an excellent buy. Good price, excellent product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incorrect Photograph, August 29, 2013
alexh (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
As noted by another reviewer, the photograph for this item is incorrect (you won't get the one with a straight handle), the model number listed however is correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wustof Chinese Cleaver, August 14, 2012
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
Excellent! Heavier than the Martin Yan that we had for years. This is sharp, balanced and an exceptional piece of kitchen equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver, May 29, 2012
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
Pros: very sharp. I actually cut my palm once when I started using it and another time when I wash it. But this is how it supposed to be, you just need to be careful with it.
Cons: I do Chinese cooking a lot at home. This cleaver is pretty good when cutting soft vegetables, such as tomato and leafs. But since its front end is not as heavy as other Chinese cleaver I own, I'm having problem when slicing hard vegetables, such as yams and potatoes.

Overall, it is a very good cleaver, I just need to get used to it and modify my cutting methods a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice vegetable knife, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver (Kitchen)
When my son was visiting he bought this and we had lots of fun in the kitchen. Nothing better than making food together with your loved ones.:)

Wusthof Gourmet 8-Inch Vegetable Cleaver