In the culinary world variety and preparing something outstanding is the key to success. Due to this, Wusthof offers more than 350 different kinds of knives to be able to provide the perfect knife for everyone. No matter which kind of blade and handle shape you are thinking of--Wusthof has the right knife for all your needs.
The most important features of a high-value forged Wusthof knife:
- Exceptionally sharp
- Long-lasting cutting edge
- High stain resistance
- Easily restorable edge
Grand Prix II Cutlery Series
- A wide assortment offers you knives for all purposes
- For professional chefs and home cooking enthusiasts
- Forged from one piece of specially tempered high-carbon stainless steel to ensure outstanding strength
- Extraordinary sharpness is easy to maintain
- Seamless hygienic fit of the synthetic, full-tang handle
- Excellent ergonomics and perfectly balanced for effortless cutting
- Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) for an extra-sharp blade that retains its edge 30% longer
- Made in Solingen, Germany
- Limited lifetime warranty
Details of a Forged Wusthof Knife
New Wusthof technology offers superior sharpness!
The latest cutting performance tests carried out by the FGW (Forschungsgemeinschaft Werkzeuge und Werkstoffe e.V., a German research association for tools and materials based in Remscheid) confirm that Wusthof forged knives offer the best quality when compared to other well-known, single-layer brands.
The extensive tests were carried out in accordance with DIN EN ISO 8442-5. Wusthof knives have a considerably higher ICP (Initial Cutting Performance) and maintain this performance for an extremely long time (TCC = Total Card Cut).
When compared with the winners in the "cook's knife" category awarded by German consumer organization "Stiftung Warentest" in its 1st edition of 2008, forged Wusthof knives featuring the new PEtec technology produce a result which is about 20% higher.
- Blades are measured by a laser before sharpening
- Computer programs calculate precise sharpening angle for each blade
- Knives are then sharpened on a whetstone using precision robots
- Knives are given a final polish using a special disc
- Extremely high initial cutting performance
- Exceptionally long edge retention / long service life of blade
- Optimum cutting edge along the entire length of the blade
- Unique, consistently high and reproducible quality
PEtec from Wusthof--superior sharpness for professional and home cooks!
How Wusthof Knives are Made
Wusthof knives are known for their outstanding sharpness. By honing and sharpening the knives yourself you can maintain this feeling for a lifetime of use (see "Honing and Sharpening" section below for detailed guidelines on how to do so).
The evolution of a precision forged knife
Over 40 different manufacturing steps are needed to produce a forged Wusthof knife from one solid piece of steel.
Here you will find a detailed explanation of some of the most important production steps.
1. Sheet bar of high-carbon no-stain steel
2. Precision forged piece
3. Tempered to 58-degree Rockwell
5. Scales of handles and rivets
6. The Wusthof Cook's knife
Types of Blades
The Right Blade for Every Purpose
The edge is the business end of a knife. It is skillfully honed by hand and incredibly sharp. For different cutting tasks different blade shapes and edges are recommended.
Straight-edge blade: The straight edge allows a smooth and clean cut. When carving no fibres are torn out of the meat. This edge can be used for firm and soft food like meat, vegetables and fruit.
Serrated-edge blade: The wavy or serrated edge allows an easy cut through crusty food like a traditional roast and crispy bread.
Hollow-edge blade: When cutting an air pocket is created between the hollow edge and the slice. This prevents the food from sticking to the blade and allows for finer slices.
Cleaning & Storage
Proper care for long-lasting cooking enjoyment
If you value your tools, we recommend washing your knives with warm, soapy water after each use. Rinse carefully and dry with a towel.
For proper storage we recommend the following options:
- Knife blocks in a variety of shapes, colors and configurations. The handy knife block provides protection for your blades as well as a visual compliment to your kitchen decor.
- Magnet Bars in wood, synthetic material or aluminum. Two extra strong magnet segments provide a safe, easily visible and space-saving storage option.
- Cook's cases in rolls and briefcase styles. This is the ideal method for professionals to store and transport their tools safely.
Since 1814 Wusthof has set the standard for designing and manufacturing precision-forged knives.
Today the family business is in its seventh generation of ownership, under the management of Harald Wusthof.
Wusthof knives are manufactured by a skilled team of 300 dedicated workers in two state-of-the-art facilities in Solingen, Germany.
Wusthof applies sustainable practices to their production facilities: Solar panels on the roof provide electricity to their manufacturing facility, they clean and reuse water to reduce water usage, and they reuse scrap materials rather than creating waste.
In addition to knives, Wusthof offers an assortment of cutting boards, knife blocks, kitchen tools, and scissors bearing the famous Trident logo--a symbol of form, function, and uncompromising quality.