4.0 out of 5 stars Tutor's Perspective
I can't speak from the perspective of the student, but I can give my experience on WyzAnt as a tutor. I started working with WyzAnt a few months ago, over the summer.

Published on November 25, 2011 by Claire Harter

1.0 out of 5 stars "Big Brother" Wyzant
This is the feedback I provided directly to Wyzant on April 6, 2011. Their automatic messaging system thanked me and suggested I share it on Amazon and Yelp, which I am happy to do.

"I have both positive and negative feedback to provide.

Published on April 6, 2011 by God is good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tutor's Perspective, November 25, 2011
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring

I have seen many reviews that say the 40% cut of the website is a rip-off - but they give you the opportunity to increase your cut over time, which is unusual. I also tutor with another tutoring company, and they do not offer that kind of increase - my hourly rate remains the same no matter how much success I get. So it's clear that WyzAnt's system works, and rewards tutors who provide customer satisfaction.

The direct deposit system is great. I receive my money directly in my bank account, so I don't have to make an extra trip to the bank.

I have found that WyzAnt is an easy way to supplement my income. While the certification tests ARE a joke, customers aren't obligated to continue with a tutor, so good tutors are rewarded while bad tutors receive bad reviews and therefore no customers. It's a system that works, in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Big Brother" Wyzant, April 6, 2011
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring

"I have both positive and negative feedback to provide.

1. The tutor I found for my high school student is excellent. I must credit Wyzant with this because I never would have been able to identify Lori if it hadn't been for Wyzant. She is exceptional in her expertise, personality and teaching approach. For that, I am very grateful.

2. The rest of my Wyzant experience has me leery and non-supportive. There are several reasons for this.

A) I do not have a chance to approve charges to my credit card before they are made. This is unacceptable. I assumed I would have the opportunity to check the number of tutoring hours being billed before my card was charged. Unfortunately that is not the case. I simply receive notice after the fact that the card has been billed. While I trust my tutor implicitly, what if there had been an error in her billing submission? What if someone didn't have a trusting relationship with their tutor and questioned the number of hours logged? This is no way to do business, Wyzant, and I believe the only reason you are getting away with it is because we as customers have no recourse except to cancel our relationship with Wyzant, which if you have a great tutor is foolish to do. I have doubts about the integrity of my personal credit card information and while I know as a consumer I can fight erroneous charges, there is still a hassle in doing so.

B) Wyzant scans emails between me and my tutor, hence the "Big Brother" comment in the title line. When I wanted to let the tutor know how to reach me prior to having our initial meeting, I included a phone number in my email to her. Wyzant intercepted the email, saying it had blocked out the number and the only way to share it was for me to enter my billing/credit card information. This was presumptive and unfair since I did not know if I wanted to hire this tutor. I naively and begrudgingly went along with this intrusive Wyzant procedure. As it turned out, I did not hire that particular tutor after our first meeting and thank goodness she was honest enough not to enter the hour we invested together. I have no doubt that if she had, I would have been billed for a non-productive meeting that I would have had to dispute with either Wyzant or my credit card company. I am now keenly suspicious that any email exchanges with a Wyzant tutor are being monitored.

C) Wyzant's email marketing is intrusive. I really don't want to hear from you. I simply want my tutor to do her job. I have doubts about how this feedback will be received as well. Let's just say I don't think you'll post it on your testimonials page.

Wyzant (the big corporate machine in the sky, whoever you are) is spoiling the experience of having found a great tutor via your site by your overbearing, invasive, and controlling practices. I could not honestly recommend using Wyzant to another person without a lot of disclaimers about what to expect. Had someone warned me upfront, I would have looked elsewhere. And that would have been a shame because I never would have found Lori. So you are hurting both your tutors and your potential customers. Perhaps you should re-evaluate what you do and how you do it."

5.0 out of 5 stars WyzAnt is getting better and better, February 3, 2012
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
I have been working as an contract tutor with WyzAnt for a little over a year. As time goes on, I see more and more of the value of what WyzAnt does. WyzAnt does a lot to protect students from "bad tutors," and a lot to protect tutors from BAD "students" (People PRETENDING to be students, in other words). WyzAnt never charges up front for any of their services, and while some people complain that the percentage that WyzAnt keeps is "high" at first (they say things like "40%", but that is misleading--keep reading for the truth). WyzAnt's percentage has gotten lower and lower, just as the contract stated, and my percentage has increased, exactly as promised. If students are taking advantage of WyzAnt's 20% discounts, then they are paying only $80 for $100 worth of lessons. Out of that $80, the tutor gets $60, and WyzAnt gets $20. Let's do the math: 60/80 = 75%. That means a BRAND NEW tutor actually can get 75%, and increase this percentage by moving up the pay scale increases that are included at specific points in the WyzAnt contract.

In the long run, the tutors keep 80% OR MORE, and WyzAnt keeps 20% OR LESS, if you factor in the 20% discounts offered to students. WyzAnt uses its percent share to help cover the cost of billing and running the website, along with the great network of advertising that WyzAnt does. AND the discounts that are available to students come out of WyzAnt's percentage, not out of the tutor's percentage. When you take that into consideration, WyzAnt is NOT really keeping 40% of the starting pay, even for a short period of time. They are keeping more like 25% or even less, if you factor in student discounts and services provided by WyzAnt, and the growth incentives offered to tutors and students for recruiting (Free lessons for students, and bonuses and prizes for tutors, etc).

I may disagee with some of WyzAnt's policies, but the benefits I receive as a tutor for WyzAnt are much greater than the inconvenience of having to communicate by email first, and not give phone numbers until someone shows that they are a serious potential student and customer, rather than just someone "shopping" for a date with a cute tutor (or something like that).

WyzAnt is very strict with the rules, but there are sound reasons for those rules, as mentioned above, to protect students and tutors. WyzAnt offers students a money back guarantee if the students are not satisfied. WyzAnt direct deposits pay to tutors several times a week. WyzAnt handles all of the billing and advertising, which allows tutors to focus on what they do best (or at least should do), and that is helping students. It's a safe bet that WyzAnt has brought me more business than I could have gotten myself, and WyzAnt did that with no out-of-pocket cost to me. Even if I had spent a lot of money on websites and ads, I seriously doubt that I could have gotten a better response than the WyzAnt website has gotten for me.

When I hear people complain that they don't want to give credit card information, I believe they just haven't thought it all out. Maybe they are the kind of people who think EVERYTHING should be free. Those complaints don't make sense to me. Here's why: When you make an airline reservation, or a hotel reservation, or a car rental reservation, you have to give credit card information for the right to make the reservation. The WyzAnt system is the same thing--you are making a reservation for the time you or your child will spend with a professional tutor. If you are not satisfied, WyzAnt offers a money-back guarantee. Tutors who do a good job will continue to satisfy customers/students. WyzAnt is an honest company, and out of the hundreds of people (students and prospective students) I have communicated with, NO ONE has ever said that WyzAnt, or I, overcharged them, or charged them incorrectly. In other words, from my experience, it has NEVER been a problem. People who complain about WyzAnt are suspicious and mistrusting, but the scenarios they describe are hypothetical "what if" situations. Everyone I know of has had only good experiences with WyzAnt's billing department. And WyzAnt's payroll department is fast and accurate too. If tutors choose the direct deposit option, which is FREE, they can receive direct deposits several times a week. The only complaints I have ever heard about payroll were from tutors who DID NOT choose the direct deposit option. Paper checks are only cut a few times each month, so that option will naturally be slower. WyzAnt cannot guarantee how fast the U.S. postal service will deliver the checks. I can see no reason why anyone with a bank account would not choose direct deposit. It's fast, accurate, and FREE for the tutors who choose it.

5.0 out of 5 stars For us - It's about our child!, January 31, 2012
K. Henry (Richmond, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
I read a few of the less than stellar reviews here and noticed that they all cover the tutor's rate and WyzAnt's cut. Our tutor has never mentioned it, and I would pay more if she charged it.
We had a TON of trouble finding a local K- 6 Special Ed teacher that had adequate experience with ADHD & Asperger's. Our 1st grader was falling further and further behind when we heard about WyzAnt. I was able to find 3-4 teachers that meet our criteria and emailed each of them until all my questions were answered. We narrowed it down to our top 2 and ran background checks. I think it is the *parents* responsiblity to have an adequate interchange with a potential tutor which will help determine whether they are truly schooled in a subject and if they're a good "fit" for your child. Even if WyzAnt "guaranteed" a teacher's expertise, I would still do my due diligence. Parents that use WyzAnts have one objective - their child.
Our tutor was more than we expected. Everything she wrote about herself on her WyzAnt site was accurate, and she has even more positive qualities than were listed. I know that not all tutors on this site may fit this mold but that is what the "review" section is for.... We're currently considering adding a Spanish tutor in the summer and are thankful for some of the negative feedback left for a nearby tutor we might have considered.
I didn't mind pre-paying and actually prefer it. At first I was concerned, what if the tutor isn't a good fit? I emailed WyzAnt with my concerns and they responded promptly and explained that I can always switch tutors if needed without any trouble. WzyAnt have been a GREAT tool for us to access tutors we wouldn't have otherwise found.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a WyzAnt tutor now, January 21, 2012
R. Anderson (West Palm Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
I have been a WyzAnt tutor for the past ten months. I haven't had any issues or problems in any way, either email-phone-billing-payments-tutoring, absolutely no problems of any kind. I make a 70% of my fee and will go to 80% very soon. Many tutoring companies in my area charge the families $60-85 an hour and the tutor will just get $20-30 of it. With WyzAnt you can set your own fee based on how much income you need. Payments are very timely and by direct deposit. I have met the most wonderful parents and students. I don't have to fear for my life going into bad neighborhoods. I can tutor at our public libraries if I want to. I can set my own hours, tutor as little or as much as I want, go on vacation when I need to, having the utmost flexibility. I wear my WyzAnt t-shirt proudly and I am stunned at the negative comments for an organization that has helped me and my students so much. They are a first class company in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wyzant is for serious tutors, only., January 28, 2012
Bruce A. Martin (Middle Island, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
In general, I have been very happy with Wyzant's service to me as a tutor.
Thanks to Wyzant, my tutoring business has grown tremendously, and I was able
to limit my successful tutoring business to more-desirable situations
(i.e. subjects, locations, repeat clients, etc.) and also to steadily
raise my rates (partly due to favorable "testimonials" posted on my
Wyzant profiles by satisfied students and parents).

Wyzant finds a tremendous number of prospects, whom I NEVER would have
found by myself, and it does not cost me anything to begin discussions
with a potential student, to see if there is a match. (From the student's
point of view, it is also very good: even though the student must submit
billing information to allow direct telephone contact with the tutor,
there is no actual billing until AFTER there has been an actual lesson!)

After begrudging their cut, at first, I now much prefer the arrangement
where Wyzant does all of the billing, so I don't have to fuss with depositing
checks, writing receipts, tolerating deadbeats, etc. Instead, I can assume
a more-professional posture and focus only on the tutoring and scheduling.

Yes, the do take a substantial cut (40%) AT FIRST, but after you have
"paid your dues" by teaching a number of hours, the rate drops steadily
down to only 20%. Furthermore, the discounts do not come out of my share!
In fact, they offer up to 20% in discounts for package deals, so that for
some students they actually make ZERO percentage!
(Frankly, I don't see how they do it; but I won't complain, since the student
discounts of up to 20% do not come out of my 80% share!)

Yes, I've had a few problems now and then, during the past 3 years or so;
however they are always available (at least during business hours) and have
been very responsive every single time!

Nevertheless I can see how some tutors would be better off not getting involved
with Wyzant. Those who tutor casually, or who are only available on occasion,
probably should not use Wyzant. Also, those tutors (and students) who are out to
"beat the system" -- by using Wyzant to fiond students, then making private deals
to bypass their billing and collect directly from the student -- should avoid
Wyzant, because they have several ways of finding this out and dumping the tutors
and/or students who try to do this. (Perhaps they are too strict in some cases,
and dump innocent tutors -- if so, the tutor can call Wyzant directly to discuss
the situation and get reinstated. I know of several instances where this has
happened, and the tutor was reinstated.)

Sure, I'd rather pocket the 20% they take, but there is no way that I could
possibly find as many students as they send me (AND I'd have to do my own billing
and discounting!) After you "pay your dues" and get the rate dropped (from 40%
to 30% then eventually 20%), it is well worth it, and your tutoring business can
grow to fill all of your available hours (AND also allow you to get more selective,
raise rates, build a repeat clientele, etc., etc.)

I've used more than a dozen tutoring services in the past (and still use some of them),
but Wyzant is by far the best!

Bruce Alan Martin
("Professor BAM")

5.0 out of 5 stars Tutor's view of WyzAnt, January 20, 2012
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
I've been working as a tutor for WyzAnt for a couple years and I have to say that my experience with them has been wonderful. I read all of the 1-star reviews and wanted to address some of the issues that were brought up there.

Yes, the certification process WyzAnt has is flimsy at best. The tests they require the tutors to take are extremely simplistic and, for some subjects, can easily be completed by looking up the answers. The thing is, I don't know how else you'd like an internet-based company to screen their tutors. A much better indicator of that tutor's skill level is the ratings and reviews posted on their profile as well as their biography.

WyzAnt does, at the beginning, take 40% of the tutor's pay. However, the more hours you tutor the less they take until you are making 80% of what you charge (400 hrs = 80%). Since I knew that their percentage would go down, I didn't have a problem with this. For me, 20% is worth them maintaining the website, taking care of payments, and the modest screening of potential students since I'm a woman going to someone's house alone. Students having to enter credit card information before we can meet makes it that much less likely they're a deranged serial killer.

While you do have to enter your billing information with the website before you meet or exchange phone numbers with a tutor, you can email them. Besides, just because your information is with the site, it doesn't mean you're automatically charged with anything. If you want to talk to someone, you can put in your information and then talk on the phone; you won't be charged for that. I've also never charged anyone for an introductory meeting, but I can't guarantee that there aren't some people who will.

I don't have any idea why they don't want you to exchange email addresses; it seems pretty silly to me. I can only assume it's to try and keep people from meeting through WyzAnt but then tutoring on their own to avoid the dreaded pay cut.

Saying that tutors are charging more because of WyzAnt taking a percentage is, quite frankly, on the tutor, not the website. WyzAnt sells bundles of hours that you can buy for discounts of up to 20%, meaning they would make no money at all off a tutor who's worked over 400 hours (like me). I would never recommend buying one of the credit packages, though, unless you've found a tutor you love and plan on working with for a long time.

I've never had a problem with my profile being deactivated since I work at least 12 hours a week and most of my students are long-term.

I've never had a problem with the Customer Service either. Whenever I've had little problems, my emails have been answered by the next day and when I've called over more immediate issues the people that I talked to were extremely helpful. On a couple of occasions they even called back later to make sure everything was settled.

I tutor from middle school to college and I'm always very upfront with my students (or their parents) about how WyzAnt, in general, and I, in particular, conduct my business. There's a lot of information on the site to take in and I've had more than one person email me asking how it all works. I always write them a long email spelling everything out for them; sometimes I hear back from them, sometimes I don't.

All of the information about how WyzAnt works is explicitly stated on their website and, even if you have to go through a few pages to find it, it's far from being hidden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wyzant worked beautifully for me!, August 25, 2010
Amy G (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
I found WyzAnt through a Google search when I was in desperate need of help in organic chemistry. I emailed several tutors through the site, still not exactly sure that I'd even get a response. Within hours I had heard from three tutors and I settled on a young lady named Sana. She was $40 per hour which trust me is a great deal in NYC, especially for an Ivy League educated medical professional who travelled to my neighborhood, Union Square, for no extra charge. It was very helpful to be able to speak with Sana before making any payments or commitments. When I was ready, I added a credit card to the website and after the lessons I got an email from WyzAnt with my lesson details and the amount charged to my card. The combination of the tutor selection, price, quality and simple payment mechanism makes WyzAnt a great choice if you need a tutor. I would highly recommend the company and its tutors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Tutor, March 23, 2012
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
It breaks my heart to read these sad reviews from elsewhere when our experience in Upstate SC has been so wonderful. The tutors we contacted responded immediately, and the one we selected fitted us into her schedule within 48 hours. (Giving my credit card information to WyzAnt did not cause me any heartburn because they promise to refund any charges for work not satisfactory or not done and because I have had only good experiences with my banks' dispute resolution processes.)

Naomi, our dream tutor, connected with our eighth-grader at their very first session, making the second session something to look forward to. After these two meetings, our student aced an algebra test for the first time this year. (She had "bombed" the previous four.) Naomi's calm authority, warm personality, diagnostic skills, and sensitivity to her student's confusions and anxieties were just exactly what we were seeking. With great optimism, confidence, and gratitude, we have continued to rely happily on Naomi's support of our student and WyzAnt's support of all of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Clock Work, March 19, 2012
This review is from: WyzAnt Tutoring
I got really lucky. I got exactly what I wanted/expected and much more. I chose an incredible tutor and she came out the next day, covered everything I wanted to learn and about 10 other things I never knew existed. She was a wizard and my experience was invaluable. The tutor was great, my experience with WyzAnt was proficient and professional.

WyzAnt Tutoring