5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpest Pencils in the West!!
Published 11 months ago by Steven James

2.0 out of 5 stars It gets the job done, sometimes satisfactorily.
Published 11 months ago by anonymous

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharpest Pencils in the West!!, May 20, 2013
Steven James (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-ACTO SharpX Classic Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black/Silver (1771) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a special education teacher in a high school I often try to find jobs for my students to do around the school. Every Spring, around the time of standardized testing, my students get to sharpen all the pencils for the State testing. We have about 5 different sharpeners plugged in at once, all going at the same time, and only one of the sharpeners was an X-ACTO SharpX Classic Electric Pencil Sharpener. Let me tell you, there was a clear difference in the sharpness of the X-Acto pencils over the other brands.

Also, the others sharpeners tended to overheat sooner than this one, therefore giving us higher productivity. Less time to sharpen more pencils. Granted all the pencils were standard #2s, so I am unable to attest to the efficiency of colored pencils or harder/softer leads, but it met and exceeded our needs. I have no qualms whatsoever about giving this pencil sharpener my highest accolades. It is sturdy and I know we will be using it for many years to come. A superior product.

2.0 out of 5 stars It gets the job done, sometimes satisfactorily., May 1, 2013
anonymous (Terrestrial, Earth) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I fully admit that I'm a pencil sharpener snob. No sharpener has been better than the one my father brought back from Japan while on a business trip when I was a kid. Unfortunately, when I asked my dad to mail me the pencil sharpener, my dad forgot to package it properly and didn't contain it with any sort of padding, and the casing arrived broken into several pieces. I was very, very sad.

The biggest issue I have with many electric sharpeners is how it doesn't know when to stop sharpening. This one allegedly has a "PencilSaver" feature which makes the motor sound change and the pencil has a harder time being pushed into the sharpener. Well, this one doesn't work. I have very sensitive ears too, and I cannot tell the difference in the motor sound. Maybe the types of pencils are the issue, but I couldn't tell, including #2 medium hexagon-shaped pencils.

Another issue is how the sharpened area isn't always centered. I think this might depend on the shape of the pencil: a hexagon-shaped pencil is decently centered, but a circular pencil is a bit off, with too much wood left on one half while the other half has not enough wood.

The sharpened pencils are extremely sharp, so sharp that a kid nearly punctured a high-quality leather furniture by barely holding the sharpened pencil vertically on it - the leather has a small indentation.

The feet have non-skid pads, but it still slides if you pushed the sharpener itself. However, because the pencil goes in at a 40-degree angle from the horizon, it does not slide. The dimensions at the widest/longest points (not including the adapter/power source plug) are 4 1/8" wide by 6" tall by 5 1/2" deep.

For the price, I would have expected a better-functioning one. But, then maybe there aren't better sharpeners out there because I haven't had any luck for several years. I'm grateful for this free one, and this sharpener may be decent enough to deserve a 3-star if I didn't have some standards for an electric pencil sharpener, but honestly, I don't like it very much. If/when it breaks, I may import one or have someone to buy one for me while traveling in Japan. I'm sorely missing my old sharpener right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works, April 29, 2013
Lindsey (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pencil sharpener isn't impressive or fancy. It is a very simple electric sharpener. It sharpens pencils (and the instructions are very clear that it ONLY sharpens pencils. No crayons, chalk, or anything other than a pencil.)

It takes about 20 pencils sharpened to fill the shavings chamber. Definitely not for classroom or high usage.

The automatic stop function isn't really an automatic stop. It says the change in the motor will let you know it is done. It only does this on standard #2 pencils. If you're sharpening something with softer lead or colored pencils, it will just go and go and go- eating your pencil. So don't wait for the motor change on anything but a #2. It also sharpens really rough on some pencils and super smooth on others. It was super smooth when sharpening Smencils (pencils that smell made out of layers of recycled paper) but ridiculously rough on Crayola colored pencils. (But decently smooth on Crazy Art colored pencils.)

It is pretty loud. It also moves. The little gripper feet on the bottom do nothing to hold it in place. You still need to place your free hand on the sharpener to hold it in place while sharpening. You also have to grip the pencil being sharpened pretty tightly so it doesn't spin in the sharpener.

After sharpening about 50 pencils, it started squeaking slightly when you remove the pencil and the motor is stopping.

It makes teeny tiny little shavings that are obnoxious to clean up and have a tendency to "stick" to the end of the pencil, so you are constantly dealing with lead dust on the pencil end. Sharpens pencils to a finer point than I prefer (but all X-Acto sharpeners have done this for me). It is just a personal preference thing, though.

WIth the "energy efficient DC adaptor", I though, for whatever reason, that the adaptor was optional and the sharpener could be run on batteries. It can't. It just plugs in.

If you just need an occasional use pencil only sharpener, this will meet you needs. If you use a pencil sharpener a lot, this one won't make you very happy.

Edited!: My toddler shoved a crayon into the pencil sharpener. Which is usually the death of a sharpener. However, I was able to push the crayon through and basically sharpen the whole thing down to remove it and the sharpener is still going! So, that alone changes my review from 3 to 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well, June 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After buying several different pencil sharpeners and trying a few that I received from the Amazon Vine program, I am prepared to make a blanket statement regarding pencil sharpeners: they don't make them like they used to. We have bought a couple of X-ACTO brand electric sharpeners from Wal-Mart over the past few years, and they never seem to last very long. They are all made of plastic and one day just expire while in mid-sharpen. Plus, they are either making sharpeners or pencils differently than they used to, because some pencils will just never sharpen right. It's like either the point or the graphite are in the wrong place. Anyway, we got this one (a higher end sharpener) and another (slightly higher end) from Amazon Vine to compare them side by side. This one performed a little better than the el cheapo Wal-Mart one but not quite as good as the "top-of-the-line" one. Depending on how much you want to spend, this sharpener would probably be adequate for use in most homes, but I honestly don't have faith that it will be very long lived. (It's mostly plastic, after all.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes Yes Yes, May 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my third electric pencil sharpener in a year and the best by far. I bought the first cheap one at a big box store but it was garbage, sharpening one side but not the other, getting lead caught etc. The second was double the price of the first but with all the same issues so I ordered the X-ACTO SharpX Classic and immediately the difference was apparent.

Evenly sharpens.
Needs very little pressure to activate the sharpener.
Takes a second.
Does not sharpen into a long point (ie break immediately, eats pencils).

A++

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for adults and for kids, May 20, 2013
Joshua Davies (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's something to be said for pencil sharpeners that plug into wall outlets rather than run on batteries. I have two kids, now 7 and 9, and if you have kids that age, you know that they go through a lot of pencils. We had been using a battery-powered pencil sharpener, but it could never keep up with the demands we put on it. Upgrading to this socket-powered sharpener was a blessing. Mine isn't perfect -- it sharpens just a bit lopsided -- but it's just fine for my needs, especially since I don't have any fear of letting my kids use it. The cord is just a little bit shorter than I would have liked; I have to keep it on the edge of the desk in order to be able to plug it in without an extension, but practically that's not really an issue.

4.0 out of 5 stars It gets the job done., April 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My old electric pencil sharpener stopped working after a short period of time of light use. I spent the last two years sharpening my kids' pencils by hand which isn't always ideal. The X-Acto SharpX classic sharpener is a most welcome addition to our home office. It gets pencils super sharp. I don't think I've ever had an electric sharpener that produced such pointy pencils. Some of them came out pointy enough that I'm not sure I'd want my younger kids using them.

The sharpener works quickly enough. I've had others that sharpened faster, but they've stopped working long ago. I did find that some pencils took forever to sharpen. I suppose it could be that they're just made of a harder wood. I tested this sharpener out on Smencils and regular pencils. It worked well on all of them.

The waste bin on the unit is a decent size. I sharpened over thirty pencils and I didn't even come close to filling up the bin.

I like the design of the unit. It's more upright than long so it takes up less space on a desktop. I do wish it had better grippy feet on the bottom, I found that my sharpener danced around a bit while it was sharpening the pencils.

I think the sharpener would be better if it could sharpen thicker pencils. This one can only handle standard width pencils and not the chunkier ones that are sometimes used by younger elementary school teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sharpener for Standard Pencils, April 29, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is replacing an older X-ACTO, model 1950X, I bought years ago. That model was half the size and sharpening power. With this SharpX Classic, there's no constant stopping and starting to see if the pencil is finally done. It quickly gets our pencils super sharp with barely any effort.

I can clearly tell when the pencil is sharp from the distinct change in sound, though it's still relatively quiet for an electric sharpener. I have experienced no over-sharpening (that often results in gouged pencils and broken lead) or under sharpening, yet (aside from my own initial error when learning to listen for the sound change)-it's got the perfect touch.

The shavings are minimal and securely contained in an easily accessible drawer at the front of the unit. This drawer is a tinted "window" where you can tell when it's full in order to empty. The curved handle is easy on the fingers (as opposed to models like the 1950X that require you to press in the sides). With my older models, opening the compartment containing the shavings could be tricky. I often had to yank the container out, leaving a real mess.

Though this model doesn't have suction feet or an option to change pencil size (found on the SharpX Principal in this series), I discovered that I needed neither. This sharpener is half the size of that one, so the four non-slip disks at the bottom are able to do their job pretty well. Even after extensive searching, I found that all of our regular and colored pencils are standard, so it's not necessary for households with average homework/art supplies.

This is an excellent sharpener for busy households like mine that have children using pencils throughout the day for their schooling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never had sharper pencils..., April 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This electric pencil sharpener arrived two days ago, and I've sharpened every pencil in the house. It's fast, requires no batteries (plugs in), and quickly makes the finest, sharpest points I've ever seen. Easy to empty the shavings been too. Great product that gives great results.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not center the pencils! Too much wood on one side, too much lead on the other., March 25, 2014
QueenEE "queen_ee" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
No matter how you turn the pencil, the sharpener is OFF-CENTER, and your pencils will be sharpened OFF-CENTER with too much wood on one side, and too much lead on the other. Writing with the too-much-wood side is hampered or impossible. This is unacceptable! Do not purchase this product. Waste of money!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›