5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Truck of Pencil Sharpeners!
Published 11 months ago by A. Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Might Have a Dud-Keep Receipt for 10 yr. Warranty
I had the opportunity to try out this sharpener along with the SharpX Classic (the second to lowest sharpener in the SharpX series).

Published 11 months ago by Maura Ann Rubies

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Might Have a Dud-Keep Receipt for 10 yr. Warranty, April 29, 2013
This review is from: X-ACTO SharpX Principal Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black/Silver (1773) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The first thing I noticed with this SharpX Principal, is that the sharpening has a more "hollow" sound that was unlike the robust (yet relatively quiet, Classic). It's still pretty quiet, considering that it is twice the size of the other.

The size is pretty big (same length as two 28 oz. cans of tomatoes side-by-side, and as tall as one and a half cans high), so it helps that it has four small suction cups beneath it (as opposed to the non-skid pads of the Classic) in order to keep it from tipping over.

I do like the ability to sharpen a number of pencil sizes along with the triangular shaped pencils, however, we haven't needed that feature since all of our pencils are standard.

When attempting to try jagged, harder-to-sharpen, standard pencil nubs with broken lead, I found that the Classic actually sharpens them, while the Principal just "eats" those. I also discovered that I have to press down firmly with the Principal in order to get the blades engaged. With the Classic, I barely apply any pressure to the pencil and it gets perfectly sharp every time.

The door is also awkward to open on the Principal. Though shavings never come out of the unit while sharpening, they never completely make it into the container, either. I shined a light on the back of the door and found there to be NO screws in the holes for securing the plastic silver lining to the front. It doesn't seem like that would affect collection, but who knows? So, if your door is on the shaky side, STOP using it. Check for missing screws and replace them in order to prevent breaking the front.

There is a light on the side that is supposed to indicate when it's time to empty the drawer filled with shavings. The Principal flashed red much too early to have to empty (about 1/3 full). It was only a quick, red flash that I happened to notice while standing there, so one could easily miss it.

Recommendation:

Judging by the lack of screws and faulty LED mechanism, this SharpX Principal Pencil Sharpener could just be a dud...In order to preserve the pencils that we use everyday, we're sticking with the Classic and only pulling out SharpX Principal if we ever need to sharpen pencils of alternate sizes or triangular shape.

If just needing to sharpen ONLY standard pencils, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Classic version of this X-ACTO SharpX series based on how it out-sharpens the Principal in our house. (*Note: Classic is labeled Moderate Daily Use and Heavy Daily Office Use, while Principal is labeled for Heavy Daily Use at both the Office and School).

5.0 out of 5 stars Monster Truck of Pencil Sharpeners!, May 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I work in public libraries, so I've seen more than my fair share of plug-in electric pencil sharpeners on the job. They've pretty much all been awful -- underpowered, quickly loose their blade edge, can't cope well with different sizes, jam, etc. This bad boy is definitely a professional-grade, no-hold-barred, run-home-and-tell-your-mama, git'er-done, shut-yo-mouth, pencil sharpener. I tested it with a wide range of pencils from a different makers, different stages of wear, etc. and it did the business each and every time. It can accommodate five different diameters of circular pencils, as well as one size of those strange triangular pencils. It's fast as all get-out, and when the pencil is razor sharp you get a slight change in pressure as feedback that it's good to go. One problem I've had with a lot of electric sharpeners is the inability to deal with broken points -- they tend to sit in base of the blades and block progress. I tested this one with a bunch of different broken tips and it wasn't an issue. I can't speak to the longevity of this unit, since I just got it, but if you're in a pencil-heavy environment (like a school), I wouldn't skimp and buy the Staples/Office Depot house brand, but step up to the big leagues and get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Large and In Charge, May 16, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This electric pencil sharpener is larger than I expected when I received it. But as soon as I plugged it in it was ready to go. My kids and I took out all of our dull pencils and within seconds had pencils so sharp they could have passed as weapons. The box that keeps the shavings is large too, meaning it does not have to be emptied that often. But when you do empty it, just make sure you do so over a garbage can. This sharpener would be ideal in an office or industrial setting, but is stylish enough it can sit in the corner of a home office without drawing attention to itself as well. Good product overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Sharpener Ever., August 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I ordered and reviewed several pencil sharpeners over the past year. This is by far the best one I have ever used. Large container for shavings, perfect point every time, not overly loud and very fast. Even though it's not cheap for a pencil sharpener, it is the best I've used. I'll buy another one of these if this one ever gives out.

5.0 out of 5 stars 550cc blade motor powerful enough for school classrooms, May 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My wife is a pre-school teacher and we have two sons (ages 9 and 10) in third and fourth grade, respectively. Our family uses so many pencils that we plant seedlings to ease the guilt.

We were in the market for something bigger and stronger than our last sharpener, the Stanley Bostitch QuietSharp6. We purchased that model almost two school years ago (in August 2011) after our first sharpener (from a different company) burned up.

The X-ACTO SharpX Principal Electric Pencil Sharpener packs an electric-powered 550cc blade motor into a 1.5-pound sharpener (8.8 x 6.1 x 8.8 inches). For comparison, the Stanley Bostitch QuietSharp6 weighs one pound (10.6 x 6.1 x 9 inches).

We like the top entry design of the X-ACTO SharpX Principal better. Both models can handle six different pencil sizes and have shavings receptacles, although the X-ACTO also has a full LED indicator.

The X-ACTO fly-away cutter system provides the same stop-sharpening feature as the QuietSharp6, which eliminates the problem of grinding down a third of the pencil in one sharpening. I'm pleased with the safety features on the SharpX Principal sharpeners - noise-isolating suction cup feet and a SafeStart receptacle interlock switch that prevents blade operating when the receptacle cover is removed.

For classroom use, I rate the SharpX Principal one star higher than the QuietSharp6.

Rating: Five stars

BTW: The Stanley Bostitch QuietSharp6 is still working. Considering how much use our pencil sharpeners get, I'm still happy with the QuietSharp6 but I prefer the industrial strength of the X-ACTO SharpX Principal Electric Pencil Sharpener for my wife's classroom.

DISCLOSURE: This review is courtesy of the Amazon Vine program, which provides products at no cost in exchange for my independent and unbiased feedback. My objective is to test and review products fairly, providing you with helpful information that improves your shopping experience. This product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf.

3.0 out of 5 stars SharpX Principal Electric Pencil Sharpener, October 2, 2013
Doesn't always stop when the pencil is removed. Requires unplugging of the cord. Does a nice job, however, sharpening pencils of all sizes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great So Far. Good Warranty., April 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was surprised to see this has a 10-year warranty, which is pretty nice for a pencil sharpener. Be sure to read the fine print, though. The cutter blades are expected to dull with use, so those only have a 2-year warranty.

So far we really like this sharpener. My mom uses lots of different sizes of drawing pencils, so the variety of settings works well for her. There's even a setting for triangular pencils, which we haven't yet had occasion to use. The suction cups keep it nicely in place, and it doesn't leak shavings like my other electric sharpener does.

The only drawback for me is that the shavings receptacle is awkward to remove and put back on. You really have to yank hard to get it off, which could get messy if it was full of shavings. There's a red indicator light that's supposed to come on when it's time to empty the receptacle. We never let it get that full, but the light could be a nice feature if you have the pencil sharpener in a classroom or office setting where it gets a lot of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars X-ACTO Mundo!, April 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Principal is X-ACTO's workhorse pencil sharpner. I was amazed at it's large size when I took it out of the box, and too be honest, I didn't think I'd be this impressed. It is built like a tank but elegant to look at. It even has suction cups on the bottom to make sure that it stays in place. Being the illustrator for my Tales of Wordishure children's book series I am constantly sharpening my colored pencils, thank you X-ACTO for giving me a great tool for making them not only sharp but with a good even grind. Love this!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big sharpener, Big on power., April 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was a little surprised at the size of this sharpener when compared to my old Xacto model which I purchased last year (http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-1818-Electric-Pencil-Sharpener/dp/B0006HVPW4/ref=cm_cr-mr-title) This one isn't even in the same league though.

I am posting photos of the size difference so you can see how large it is compared to the standard "brick" shaped pencil sharpeners.

This sharpener blows that one out of the water. Of course at more than twice the price you would hope it would! It took less than a second to sharpen up a dull pencil, and it takes just a couple seconds to sharpen an completely unsharpened one. It has rubber grippers at the bottom so it stays in place and I also like that it can handle more pencil sizes than the standard #2 size with the handy selector on top. That also makes this one worth the higher price.

This is going to be a great addition for our family with one artist and one budding mathematician we use a lot of pencils.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best I've found, but I'm still looking, June 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Back in the 1970's when I was in elementary school, by dad bought a hand-cranked pencil sharpener like the ones hanging from the wall in every classroom I ever was in and bolted it down to a table in his work shop beside the house. My dad is gone, now, but that pencil sharpener is still there, doing its thing like it did all those years ago. What I want to know is, where can I buy one of those? I work in a private school where we live out the saga of the crappy pencil sharpener on a daily basis. The ubiquitous electric ones are constantly conking out or whirring away noisily without ever actually putting a decent point on a pencil. I sound like my own grandma, but those really were the days if you actually wanted to get a pencil sharp. I got this one, the highest end electric pencil sharpener I've ever used, from the Amazon Vine program, and it seems to work okay. It takes different sized pencils, including some larger ones, and so far has put a decent point on every one I've tried in it and has done so in a reasonable amount of time. It also makes less noise than the two less-expensive X-ACTO sharpeners I've tested it against. So far it's the best electric sharpener I've used in years. But it still doesn't hold a candle to those indestructible buggers from my childhood, and I honestly think the best pencil sharpener I own is the tiny metal handheld one that I bought at the art supply store. When my kids need a pencil sharpened, that's the one they always get. So much for modern technology.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›