Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: X-ACTO StandUp Electric Sharpener - Black (1730)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 21, 2011
Avoid this sharpener, it is JUNK!! The first one stopped working, like a gear stripped out. I replaced it thinking it was my fault somehow. Then the second did the same thing in just a few days. I got it replaced with a third, which did the same thing right out of the box after sharpening just a few pencils.

Spend your money on another sharpener.
on March 2, 2011
Bought this for home use and it can't even handle use for two elementary kids. Eats pencils. Then it just stopped working. Definitely a dud.
on October 4, 2011
Extremely slow. Push a little and it bogs down. You would think it's running on weak batteries, even though it's plugged in!
on July 6, 2011
I have never reviewed a product before, but after this box ate several regular pencils (and took its own sweet time doing so), I decided to see what others thought. I cannot agree more with the other 1 star reviewers - this product is really junk.
on September 8, 2005
Wow. This sharpener, is TRULY EXCELENT! We have the new X-ACTO brand sharpener, in a Bronze color, and it is a FAST SHARPENER! It has a very strong motor, and creates VERY SHARP points, EVEN ON CHEAP PENCILS! I suggest this pencil sharpener, and not the boston, the X-ACTO, and also the Bronze color, to any person with a home schooled child, a small office.
on May 17, 2007
I thought I'd like this because of its vertical design; I was disappointed. First, only one side of the pencil seemed to sharpen properly. I've tried twisting as it was sharpening, but it didn't help. Second the container that holds the shavings fills after about 3 sharpenings; then it continues to fill and back up into the blades. Not worth the extra money.
on June 5, 2010
This pencil sharpener is terrible. I bought one from Wal Mart and took it right back. It has so little power it will barely sharpen a pencil. This pencil sharpener is not fit for a child's play room, much less a home office.
on March 21, 2011
My son broke my mom's pencil sharpener, the reviews for pretty much all of the sharpeners offered by Amazon was pretty disheartening. I decided to chance an in-store purchase to avoid the P.O. for any possible returns.

I bought this last night before reading any review on it, just on chance. It was $19.99 and I needed one. It worked well for me. I stood there and sharpened every pencil the children had lying around the desk (a lot) and it worked as the directions said. It sharpened them quickly and the motor sounded different when the sharpening was complete. I sharpened new #2 pencils as well as ones they had already used. It worked fine. I didn't try any colored pencils or anything like, the directions do warn not to use soft lead, that's a little on the sorry side.

So despite all of the negative and comically written negative reviews, it worked out good for me so far. I guess sometimes its the luck of the draw when buying products. Hopefully it lasts her a little while.
on December 1, 2010
Giving this pencil sharpener a one-out-of-five-star rating is very generous. It is the worst pencil sharpener I have ever used! If you have 10-15 MINUTES to waste, you can partially sharpen a new pencil with this pencil sharpener. It takes at least that long. On previously sharpened pencils, I can never get a good point with it. I regret buying it and should have returned it to the store from which I bought it (not Amazon). I want to replace it with a pencil sharpener that works from amazon.com.
on September 3, 2014
I am working on a time machine for the sole purpose of travelling back in time to find the parents of all the engineers that worked on this piece of crap. Once I find the parents, I will make sure they never meet so that these engineers will never be born.
At this point I'm sure you're saying to yourself, "Hey, Ed! Calm down! Is this shoddily constructed and poorly engineered piece of Chinese crap worth possibly creating a time paradox that could conceivably tear apart the very fabric of space and time?".