5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Sharp

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete failure
Published on December 13, 2010 by Leonard F. Wheat

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete failure, December 13, 2010
Leonard F. Wheat (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-Acto XLR 1818 Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black (Office Product)
This "sharpener" won't sharpen. When you try to use it, the pencil tip comes out slightly lopsided, with the lead covered with wood on one side all the way to the tip -- wood beyond the farthest reach of the lead. Result: the wood-tipped pencil won't write, won't even deposit a mark on the paper. And it isn't the pencil's fault. I tested three different lead pencils and four colored pencils. I even gave each pencil a second sharpening, a second chance. Same result each time: tip covered with wood.

The cause of the problem seems to be that this sharpener has only one roller-cutter. Manual sharpeners have two roller sharpeners and work perfectly (but have to be screwed in place -- no desktop use, block venetian blinds on window sills -- and can't be placed in certain locations where the hand crank becomes inaccessible). The X-Acto 1818, with its single cutter, doesn't seem to hold the pencil at the correct angle. The pencil isn't gripped between two cutters. That seems to account for the lopsided cutting.

I suspect that this model requires precision assembly, so that the cutter is installed at the perfect angle. Since other reviews suggest that this model sometimes works, my conclusion is that buying this model is a gamble. In my case it was a complete waste of money: the "sharpener" simply didn't work. So if you buy one, you are gambling. You may get a properly assembled one that works, and you may get one that doesn't.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, September 1, 2008
Ray LeCara Jr. (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
Before purchasing the X-Acto Electric Pencil Sharpener, I paid half the price for an electric sharpener from Wal-Mart that lasted over five years. This product has lasted a mere five months. Rarely used, it often sticks, overheats after only a few uses, and then ceases to work at all.

I had hoped a sharpener of better quality would last longer, especially considering it isn't even used very often. It would seem I was mistaken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Sharp, November 7, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Coming from a family of educators, we tend to be very picky about our pencil sharpeners. We like them solid and efficient; quickly driving the #2 down to a fine and sharp point without wasting much of the pencil length. Poorly designed sharpeners are horrible, and often require you to constantly grind the pencil down before achieving an adequate point. You will not have that problem with this pencil sharpener. The X-Acto Electric Pencil Sharpener is well built, durable, and finely-tuned to meet your lead sharpening requirements. The pencil is quickly sharpened to a fine, exact point, without being wasted. Disposal of the grind is easy with the removable trap. We've owned many of these sharpeners over the years, and this one is the best so far. Highly recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned it, August 15, 2007
Agree with the previous reviewer. Office Depot is currently selling the made-in-china X-acto brand sharpener. Bought one and returned it after three pencils. Didn't seem to have much power, stalled the motor on the first pencil. Created nice sharp points though, just not always centered on the pencil. I'm looking for another sharpener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life is better now that I have my pencil sharpener, June 18, 2012
Oh, the madness we used to live in before I bought an X-Acto Electric Pencil Sharpener.

In those days, our four kids would sharpen new pencils using those handheld manual sharpeners that student stores sell for 89 cents, and would then relegate the pencils to a drawer once their graphite tips broke off. Over the years, this has led to quite an impressive collection of broken-tipped pencils.

"Oh, you need help with your math homework? Let me just get a pencil. Got one...nope. Got one...nope. Got one...nope. Got one...nope."

I finally grew frustrated enough to just order an electric sharpener. I chose the X-Acto model, based on price and reviews. We have not been disappointed. Now, this is not a top-of-the-line model because it does feel a bit flimsy, and when you insert a pencil too firmly into the sharpener the motor does slow down in protest, but it gets the job done every time.

It gets. The job. Done.

And now I have a drawer filled with sharp-tipped pencils, ready for eager young minds to use. Well, not the minds, per se, but fingers controlled by the mind. You know what I mean. And when those pencil points grow dull, my children know that our trusty X-Acto Electric Pencil Sharpener is there. That's right: TRUSTY.

The madness is gone. A calm serenity has enveloped our household. Thanks, X-Acto!

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable, May 9, 2007
This product is quite durable. I was surprised at how heavy it actually was. We've had cheaper ones before and they don't last; the motor slows the further the pencil goes in. Not the case with this little workhourse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, February 23, 2007
This sharpener gets the job done. It sharpens faster than any I have used before. It can be a tad loud, but because it is so fast you barely notice.

5.0 out of 5 stars A power house!, October 17, 2007
This pencil sharpener (Hunt(R) Boston(R) 1800 Series Electric Sharpener) is indeed a good deal. I read about some negative feedbacks online saying that it is not powerful enough, so I hesitated a little bit before I bought it. However, it turned out that this pencil sharpener is really powerful, and sharps my pencil really well. It is even more powerful than my suitemate's pencil sharpener bought from Staples with a higher price.
I don't know what can be a better pro for a pencil sharpener than its being powerful-- this is a great price, and great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific sharpener, December 23, 2006
A Kid's Review
Hi, I have a Boston pencil sharpener. I have had it for a year. My sister has one too. Both work great. I use it a lot and it still works. I really like it. It is a great buy for the money. X-acto pencil sharpeners are produced by the same company and I would buy that brand too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, February 15, 2006
Scott Baret (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I have an old one of these from 1993. After all of these years, it still works perfectly. This sharpener has been through some heavy work (I used to sharpen pencils for my church) but always has managed to keep in top shape. I've bought these as gifts for people because it's always something you can use and is something that will last a good while. Noise-wise it's not too bad, maybe not something you'd want in your classroom during a test, but otherwise okay.

X-Acto XLR 1818 Electric Pencil Sharpener, Black