A really nice boxed set of the two "X-Files" movie, "The X Files: Fight the Future" looks terrific in its first Blu-ray transfer. "Fight the Future" looks nearly as good as the more recent "I Want to Believe".

"Fight the Future" info:
Published on December 12, 2008 by Wayne Klein

I'm a massive X-files fan. I got rid of my well-worn VCR episodes only when they came out on DVD. So this 2-disc set was a true and well-received gift from my lovely wife.

Published on March 4, 2009 by J. Loscheider

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent twofer of the first X-Files movie with new extras, sharp transfer and the newer "X-Files" movie with excellent picture, December 12, 2008
This review is from: The X-Files Movie 2-Pack (Fight the Future / I Want to Believe) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

"Fight the Future" info:
Fox has upgraded this for Blu-ray with new extras including a new featurette and a new PIP commentary by Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz, Daniel Sackheim and Director Rob Bowman. We also get the gag reel and everything that I can recall from the original DVD. The extras are high def as well. We get both the theatrical cut and unrated DVD version BOTH remastered for high def. There is no Digital Copy for the film included.

The plot (SPOILERS): Set between the fifth and sixth season of the TV series, the X files has been closed down. Mulder and Scully have been reassigned. They work a terrorist threat in Texas. When Mulder follows a hunch he discovers the bomb and it's in a DIFFERENT building than they've been canvasing. More importantly, a doctor (Martin Landau)informs Mulder that there were a little boy and a fireman that rescued the boy that was infected with a pathogen in the bombed building. They were already DEAD when the bomb went off and clearly the bombing was designed to cover this up.

"Fight the Future" is a strong movie and a key "episode" of the mythology arc but can stand on its own as well. Rob Bowman opens up the show making it appropriate for the big screen with a often visually dazzling movie with top notch visual effects.

"I Want To Believe"
Includes featurettes on the film, a PIP commentary track with Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz as well as a full blown documentary on the making of the film.

The Plot: (SPOILERS) Mulder comes out of hiding and Scully out of "retirement" to help find a kidnapped FBI agent. Because of their experience with the X-files, they are called int to verify if a disgraced pedophile priest (Billy Connolly in an excellent performance)is, indeed, psychic as he claims to know that the FBI agent is alive and he's having visions related to the case.

I had mixed feelings about the film--it's a good one which reminds me of some of the non-mythology episodes that would be squeezed in between those key episodes. It plays like a smaller, more intimate movie so don't come expecting "Fight the Future" and you won't be disappointed. The story is a bit muddled at times and is a bit slow paced but has its rewards.

The film, regardless of how you feel about it, looks excellent with a crisp image that isn't digitally overprocessed. The extras are excellent with a PIP commentary from Carter and Spotnitz, a full length documentary on the making of the film. We also get a gag reel. It doesn't say it on the box but you DO get a Digital Copy of the film here as well for "I Want to Believe".

Fox did an excellent job pulling the original extras and adding some nice new ones as part of the new package. Highly recommended although it MIGHT be more cost effective to buy this as the two Blu-ray set.

5.0 out of 5 stars The X-Files Revisited..., August 25, 2010
"The X-Files Movie 2-Pack" contains both cinematic releases based on the X-Files TV series, the science fiction fan favorite which ran on network television from 1993 to 2002.

The two movies, perhaps appropriately, exemplify the twin themes of the TV series. 1998's "Fight the Future", released between the fifth and sixth tv seasons, is a big screen statement of the complicated conspiracy at the heart of the show. FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully follow a trail of clues that leads from a prehistoric virus to the destruction of a federal office building in Oklahoma City to a global chase after the elusive members of a syndicate dedicated to concealing a staggering secret. Along the way, Mulder and Scully work through a crisis in their complicated relationship, while Mulder receives what may have been the clearest explanation ever provided of the grand conspiracy involving aliens and humans.

2008's "I Want To Believe" was released several years after the end of the tv show. Its plot is a classic "monster of the week" episode, in which an FBI agent is brutally kidnapped. Mulder emerges from hiding and Scully from uneasy retirement to stop a hideous medical experiment. The movie nicely updates the personal story of Mulder and Scully since the untidy ending of the tv series.

The X-Files movies have a mixed reputation among hardcore fans; it may be that the TV show just didn't translate all that well to the big screen. However, "The X-Files Movie 2-Pack" is highly recommended to X-Files fans, and to newcomers wondering what they might have missed in a great science fiction series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great treat for fans, last film adds little to overall story, April 12, 2009
As a huge fan and watcher of the entire series, this double pack was a must for me. I have not seen the 1st film on BD, but I have seen it on SD, and I liked it more than the second film. The quality of "I Want to Believe" is a 4/5. It was watched on a 42" Panasonic Plasma, and BD35K player.

While the 1st film integrates into the plot, the second does little if nothing, in my opinion to push the story forward. It was fantastic to see Mulder and Skully's chemistry again on screen, but the plot was convoluted, and I was disappointed that the entire story had nothing to to do with the larger conspiracy. I deliberately stayed away from movie theater reviews, as I knew it would be difficult for a second film to stand up to the X-Files fan legacy.

I just recently watched this second film, having promised 2 friends, we'd wait to see it with them. I loved some of the inside humor between the two characters, but the story was somewhat ludicrous. I still cling on to hope that there will be another film in December 2012 (according to Cancer Man, this was the year/month that the war between humans and aliens would take place, I believe). Although this is all a rumor, and more wishful thinking at this point, I hope that the series is given a proper closure with a third film.

As far as I am concerned, make a NEW X-Files series!:) It's worth a rent, if a you're a fan, but don't expect to get any answers or closure to the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Copy included with "I Want To Believe", December 4, 2008
ZarkSeven (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
I don't see it mentioned anywhere, but the 2nd movie "The X-Files: I Want To Believe" comes with the Digital Copy disc and code, just like the stand alone version. The stand-alone version of the 2nd movie on Blu-ray is promoted with the Digital Copy included, but the 2-pack description doesn't mention it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray gives it a great picture, but can't help "I Want to Believe", March 4, 2009

The most relevant point here is the blu-ray presentation: Chris Carter indulges a thrill for the cinematic in his shots of Vancouver posing as the beltway in the depts of winter in "I Want to Believe". The scenery is gorgeous and leery, although with the dark ambiance of much of the action, the movie does not always take full advantage of the blu-ray capabilities (who needs 1080p in a nearly dark building?).

Now for the movie reviews: "Fight the Future" was a very necessary link that advanced well the story, and indispensible for a fan of the series who followed the mythos behind alien colonization, human conspirators, and an interstellar war. For someone who isn't a fan, it's a bit off kilter, but still a well-told and tightly written plot with lots of suspense. That's movie 1 on disc 1.

Going to movie 2 on disc 2 is a bit of a shock, then. It's supposed to have been 6 years since the end of the TV series, but Mulder and Scully have aged a good decade since "Fight the Future", and so has Chris Carter's writing skills. The screenplay is honestly fairly lousy. Mulder and Scully share a good deal of chemistry (complete with Mulderisms) but the events in the movie are improbable even by X-files standards. Not that improbability makes a bad story (indeed, Carter's brilliant work in the series was getting his writers' improbable elements to make good stories), but there's no effort to explain the why's behind the little hill-country house of horrors that forms the impetus for the movie. Call it Russian science if you need an oxymoronic title, but really there are a lot of WTF moments here.

But if you're going to buy "Fight the Future" on blu-ray, might as well buy the second disc as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the X-Files, February 8, 2013
I bought this for my husband (and myself) because he is such a big fan of the show. Glad they continued with the movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rated "X" for my files, February 2, 2009
Being a fan of the television series, I had great expectations for the big screen versions. Although I'll admit I enjoyed the first feature a little better. The second one deviated too far from the truth (so to speak); it was like "Silence of the Lambs" meets one of the "Saw" movies. No aleination, what so ever. They should've kept Scully's and Mulder's "distant" attraction for each other in tact, and not put them in bed together!

5.0 out of 5 stars x-files bluray 2 pack, January 6, 2009
Both are good movies. The first being more of blockbuster. Second, more familiar tv territory and character development. Lots of extras, great picture and sound! Lets hope the second movie did well enough so Fox will greenlight a more robust sequel!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as enjoyable as the show, July 10, 2012
I am an x-files fan. I finished re-watching the whole 9 seasons on Netflix and decided to purchase the movies. I saw the first movie years ago and couldn't remember much of it and never got to see the second movie.

I think the first movie will be more enjoyable for non-fans as it has a much better plot than the second movie. Although it's part of the greater x files story, it's easy to follow for those that never saw x-files before. If you're not a fan, I'd say just buy the first movie and don't bother with the 2-pack.

I was disappointed in the second movie because it wasn't a real x file. They did have some unexplained phenomena and science fiction parts, mainly in the end, but that's about it. Not much science fiction, hardly any action and a very weak and boring plot. The only thing I did like about this movie is the focus on the relationship between Mulder and Scully. There were many scenes with emphasis on the characters and the relationship development between the two. As a fan I enjoyed seeing more of the personal life of the characters but it was a shame the plot was so weak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, November 2, 2013
Sweet little box set for both x files movies with plenty of features for devout fans. I Highly recommend this set.

The X-Files Movie 2-Pack (Fight the Future / I Want to Believe) [Blu-ray]