5.0 out of 5 stars This is how you do the X-Men right.
Published 3 months ago by fsnva

3.0 out of 5 stars It was OK
It was a bit long the story went on a bit for me, they could've saved me 30 minutes and wrapped it up in 1.30 hours. But the special effects and the basic story line good. The ending leaves one wondering but overall a pretty good movie not as exciting as the others for me, maybe I was looking for something different.
Published 1 month ago by Charmaine Fuller

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how you do the X-Men right., May 27, 2014
X-Men fans can be a prickly lot and over the last 14 years since Bryan Singer's first movie, they have run hot and cold on the films, mostly loving the first two, intensely disliking LAST STAND and splitting the difference on FIRST CLASS and the two WOLVERINE movies. Singer's latest effort, X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST, may well be the best of the lot and a film that even the most particular of fans will find hard to totally dislike.

I thought X-MEN:DAYS OF FUTURE PAST was the best of the X-Men movies because:

It truly captures the essence of who the X-Men are: the down and dirty combat grunts of the comic book universe. While The Avengers and the JLA are made up of world beaters who come together to fight some universe threatening evil, the X-Men consist of scrappy misfits, many with working class origins and neurotic personalities. They band together because no one else will have them,then bicker, fight, and feud like a true family. Professor X and Magneto can be bitter enemies, but they are also brothers and patriarchs over a large brood, with Wolverine only the first of many difficult children.

DAYS OF FUTURE PAST has a perfectly convoluted plot that unites the X-Men universes of the first three movies and Matthew Vaughn's FIRST CLASS which was set back in the early 1960's. Thus we have Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan back as the originals, along with their earlier counterparts, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, in the roles of Professor X and Magneto. The movie begins in a hellish future ruled by the Sentinels, killing machines capable of hunting down anyone with even slightest trace of the mutant gene, where there is a handful of surviving mutants led by a now reconciled Professor X and Magneto. They devise a plan that calls for Kitty Pryde to use her power to send Wolverine's consciousness back into his 1973 body and then try to prevent Mystique from assassinating Bolivar Trask, the inventor of the Sentinels. It is Mystique's capture following this crime that allows the Sentinel makers to use her DNA to build indestructible machines capable of neutralizing any mutant's power. But back in the Vietnam era 70's, with its lava lamps and water beds, Wolverine has his work cut out for him: Charles Xavier is a bitter alcoholic living in the now shuttered Xavier Institute (under the care of Hank McCoy/Beast) and Magneto is imprisoned below the Pentagon for killing JFK (there is a nice twist on this later). The best part of this is that it puts Hugh Jackman's Logan back front and center in the story as he goes about getting Xavier to care again and busting Magneto out of his cell so they can rewrite history and save the future.

There are terrific action scenes that come as close as any movie to recreating the comic book. It all starts off with a great battle in the future where Iceman, Blink, Colossus, Storm, Bishop, Sunspot and Warpath have to hold off a wave of Sentinels; it makes smart use of their powers, especially Blink's ability to create portals. This is how to kick off a comic book movie, and it's not by having Mary Jane sing. Then the film makes up the ante by giving us a jaw dropping sequence during Magneto's breakout done totally from the perspective of Quicksilver as he moves so fast that even speeding bullets in mid-air appear to stand still; this scene alone is worth the price of a ticket or the cost of a Blu Ray copy. It says something when the finale, which includes the levitating of RFK stadium through the sky so that it can be dropped on the White House grounds, is not the high point of the movie.

The way DAYS OF FUTURE PAST touches on all of the X-Men movies that came before and does manage to rectify some of the injustices us fans had to put up with; there is a climatic scene with Wolverine and Professor X where Wolverine and the rest of us are reunited with some fan favorites that just might be my favorite scene in any comic book movie. I also like the way Professor X's first meeting with Logan (from LAST STAND) is referenced here and the way they work Bill Stryker into the story. And it is such a kick to see so many good actors back in familiar roles starting with the leads in their iconic parts; but there is also Nicholas Hoult (Beast), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique), Ellen Page (Kitty Pryde), Hallie Berry (Storm), Shawn Ashmore (Iceman), Lucas Till (Havok), Daniel Cudmore (Colossus), along with newcomers like Omar Sy (Bishop), Booboo Stewart (Warpath), Adnan Canto (Sunspot). Some of them get less screen time than we would have liked, but just having them there is enough for me. The real breakout performance goes to Evan Peters as Quicksilver, he nearly steals to movie. A note to the CW and their upcoming Flash series: the bar has been raised high on how to do a speedster. I do wish Peter Dinkledge's Bolivar Trask had been given some better dialog in light of what we've seen him do on GAME OF THRONES.

Of course for a comic book movie, there are a few logic holes and inconsistencies; the main one being how is Charles Xavier up and around after being literally destroyed by the Phoenix in LAST STAND? In the post credit scene from that movie, he appears to have transferred his consciousness to a comatose patient, but that doesn't explain his appearing to everyone as Patrick Stewart. Maybe the patient was his twin brother or he is simply using his well honed mental powers to alter his appearance to everyone else. Then there is the plot itself which appears to play around with some to the theories of time travel and its consequences. Does it really matter or maybe we should cut comic book movies the same slack we give to comic books, where constant rebootings, relaunchings and tweakings have made the canon of even the greatest super heroes all but unrecognizable.

Then there is the post credit scene, which sets up the coming of THE AGE OF APOCALYPSE; can't wait to see what they'll do with some of my favorites like Nate Gray, Mr. Sinister, and the Sugar Man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Sentinels Scary, and A Less Ridiculous Way to Time-Travel, June 23, 2014
Corey Lidster (Belleville, Ontario) - See all my reviews
X-Men 'First Class' was not the massive hit that 'The Avengers' was, but in many ways, it was a better film. Both were excellent, and after his run scripting 'Astonishing X-Men' for John Cassaday, I'd love to see Joss Whedon bring that tale to the big screen. But 'First Class' had some of the smartest superhero storytelling ever seen on film, and James MacAvoy and Michael Fassbender were brilliant, adding entirely new dimensions to Prof X and Magneto.

Merging the two casts was a very good idea. Everything about this altered version of Claremont and Byrne's classic X-men tale is done right, especially the Sentinels. As a kid, I always hated the Sentinels, they were a joke. Wolverine would cut them to scrap metal, Magneto would just wave his hand. But these Sentinels are frightening, adaptive machines that mimic whatever gets thrown at them.

The cast is great, the story is great, the action is great... and despite my annoyance with time-travel storylines, the method they opt for is better than usual. This is not only the smartest and most entertaining entry in the X-men franchise, it is also one of the best superhero films to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie!, May 27, 2014
This review is from: X-Men: Days of Future Past (Amazon Instant Video)
First of all, I was an avid comic book collector and have followed the X-men since I was a child. This was probably the best comic book movie to date, and definitively the best X-men movie. This one ties “First Class” together with the other X-men movies and resolves some of the mistakes of the last X-men last Stand. X-men comics/movies have always been about teamwork, people with small power coming together to defeat foes of much greater power, not about individual strengths of the characters (like the justice league). What makes X-men (movies and comics) special is the characters individual personal struggles, which sometimes lead their characters down a dark road as well as complex character interactions. You can identify with why some of the “bad guys” like magneto (a man who has endured the Holocaust) or mutants with terrible physical deformities take the road they do and sympathize with them. The “good guys” such as the X-men protect people. This is despite humans fear and despise them, leading to discrimination against the very mutants that are willing to help them. The line between “good” and “bad” is blurred depending on perspective. Maybe Senator Kelly and Trask are right that mutants are a threat that needs attention. Natural selection would definitively come into play. Maybe Magneto is right to take a war to the humans for the mean spirited way in which the public treats mutants, including the X-men and for creating sentinels in the first place.
The movie is loosely based on uncanny X-men 141-142, but the plot and characters have been altered in interesting ways. The sentinels seem more advanced, adaptive, and cold hearted than the ones in the comics (if that’s possible), leading to more of dread. They don’t speak, they don’t apprehend, just kill mutants (and humans) in the worst possible way. Aside from the action scene at the beginning, the most memorable part of the movie to me was at the end, when magneto (one of the most powerful mutants alive) is fatally wounded. The others (fearless warriors) just get a look on their face, and then look at each other with an expression that said a thousand words and emotions (fear, knowledge of certain death, anger, hopelessness, etc….). You look helplessly as the sentinels ruthlessly dispatch one main character after the other in a hopeless fight, right up to the end. They press on without retreat.
My only gripe is that to get it all in sufficiently they would have needed 3 hours, so that all the great actors in the film could have had more character development. Of course there are plot holes and inconsistencies; it’s a comic book movie not a documentary! The biggest plot hole in these types of movies is the very reason why people come to see them; people DON’T have superpowers, so just enjoy the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Men: Days of Future Past, May 25, 2014
(Note: I will eventually update/replace this with a Blu-ray review when I eventually acquire the product).

So I might have mentioned this in past reviews, but I spent a good deal of my childhood pretty much worshiping the X-Men franchise: I read a few of the comics (till I got tired of the issues piling up), I watched the animated series religiously, practically bought every action figure I could find, and played any and all video games they ever came out with. Of course, that was purely from an amazement of the art and concept of "cool-looking characters with superpowers." But by the time I was older and a little more mentally mature, Bryan Singer would, then, start a film franchise that would change my perspective on the world of X-Men forever. It wasn't just about "powers," anymore, but also philosophy.

And who better an actor to represent a philosopher than the great Patrick Stewart, playing an older Charles Xavier (basically a telepathic Capt. Pichard in a wheelchair), with another powerhouse actor opposite him via Ian McKellen (long before most people came to know him as Gandalf). Long story short: although the story and character elements weren't quite as close to the canon as they could've been, the big draw for me, personally, were the ideologies. In a world where humans are evolving through genetic mutation, how would this effect co-existence between humans and mutants, or could it even be achieved at all? What of all the questions, fear, and possible intent of wrong-doing based on this revelation?

The result of Singer's first 2 films really brought those quandaries into light and built up some great concepts.. until he left the 3rd one, and the whole franchise turned to crap. Like I said, I've always found Hollywood X-Men to be more about the contrasting views of Xavier and Lensherr than anything else: X1 established that world and set a tone for "war," while X2 escalated things to an even grander, more epic scale. Unfortunately, I feel X3 lost that philosophical edge and basically turned the franchise into something completely superficial (that "cool-looking characters with superpowers" thing I mentioned, only sprinkled with some really bad/cheesy one-liners; eff you for that, Brett Ratner).

Thankfully, though, after that debacle and a less-than-stellar "Wolverine Origins" movie, Singer came back as writer with Matthew Vaughn directing to give us "First Class." And while it was a prequel that only added to the chagrin of hardcore fans and their continuity problems; for me, it was a fascinating re-introduction to the building blocks that were Charles' and Erik's philosophies. In addition, I also feel it added a lot of character depth giving a great glimpse of what makes each of them tick. One, driven by a calm, explorative, almost naive, sense of hope; the other, indoctrinated through fear, hatred, and misfortune; but both with similar goals: peace/freedom for mutant-kind.

When I heard Singer was returning to direct "Days of Future Past" and including the plot element of time travel to fix things (mainly X3), I was excited, to say the least. And with that said, boy did he fix 'em! DoFP essentially resets everything prior to this film, except FC, creating a new continuity and setting up all kinds of possible scenarios for future films. Not only that, though, but the balancing act between its past and present timelines do wonders for even more character-building, particularly in re-establishing Charles' faith in the prospect of humans and mutants someday co-existing with one another. I won't say much else as to not spoil things, but that was my main take and most enjoyable aspect from the film, by far.

On another note, I also wanted to make a few technical comments. I know most people rant that 3D is merely a "gimmick," but I personally believe it can be well-utilized as a sort of aesthetic in and of itself. DoFP was shot in 3D, so I went and saw it as such. In terms of presentation, I would say it's not the most overt 3D (like "Avatar"-level), but it's subtle and still pretty immersive, overall (more like "Prometheus"), with a few action sequences that *really* take advantage of 3D's depth perception (the biggest and best one involving Quicksilver). If you can and have appreciated 3D and its general applicability, I would "make it so."

I wish I could say so much more, but I don't believe in spoiling things, and I don't think most people have the patience for large bodies of text, so let me simply say that I absolutely love the direction these films have gone in (aside from X3 and Origins, but none of that matters, anymore, thanks to good ole time traveling!). This shouldn't be too big a spoiler since it's already been announced as the next film, but get ready for Apocalypse, the greatest, grandest, and most powerful of all villains the X-Men have faced, akin to the likes of Thanos, Darkseid, and whatever other uber-powerful comic book villain you can think of. And yes, stay after the credits to get a quick sneak peek.

Overall rating: an obvious 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest comic book movies to date., September 4, 2014
This was a near-perfect comic book movie. X-Men: Days of Future Past is such an all around great movie. Plus I love Mystique and Jennifer Lawrence looks amazing all in blue. The thing I like about this movie is how you really got to see the X-Men use their powers in conjunction with one another. The X-Men are a team and a lot of the other movies don't have them using their powers in unison with each other. But within the opening 10 minutes this movie has them doing it all together, and it is amazing.

I'm so happy for the future of the X-Men franchise based off of this movie it's going to be good. This is what comic book movies should always be like, but sadly many of them fail horribly. This is my favorite X-Men movie to date and I'm just so excited to see what they do with this awesome foundation.

Thanks for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't want it to stop!, September 12, 2014
This is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The acting, special effects, the writing, and the directing were unbelievably good. The story was gripping, and even at two hours, I wanted more. Usually I'm not that way with superhero movies, even though I love them, but with this one I was. I didn't want it to stop!

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Men franchise belts this one out of the park., September 1, 2014
X-Men: Days of Future Past
We are well into the history of the X-Men movie franchise. We have arrived at that point in a series where things often seem to sort of peter out as the Spider Man franchise seems to have done. But we suffer not a bit of that nonsense here. This is arguably the best X-Men film so far. We do know and if we do not love the characters we at least appreciate them and wish them well. That helps.
“X-Men: Days of Future Past” take us on a complicated time travel journey. Only Wolverine can stand up to the pain of a blast into the past. Mutant Kitty Pride (Ellen Page) sends Wolverine’s mind back to inhabit his younger body. Hugh Jackman again plays the hairy, clawed Wolverine. Hugh Jackman has sculpted his body into the epitome of health and strength. My female movie companion applauded Jackman’s dedication to his workout regimen. “Oh goody!” I think was her comment.
A terrible war rages as the movie begins, a war to the knife between the mutants and regular humans. Death holds sway everywhere. Adaptable robots called Sentinels hunt the mutants to the edge of extinction. Wolverine must reverse the history of the inter-mutant strife between the followers of Magneto (Ian McKellen) and Professor X (Patrick Stewart). Magneto hates humans; Professor X wants to co-exist with them. These conflicting points of view contribute to the eventual war of mutant extinction. Wolverine, not known as a diplomat, must reconcile the two mutant leaders to avoid all this death and chaos.
He has a tough assignment.
All this is very exciting. We have the Sentinels closing in on the surviving mutants who are shifted from hide out to hide out by Blink, a mutant who can teleport herself and others. Blink is played by a Chinese actress with the wonderful name of Bingbing Fan.
Meanwhile, Wolverine runs around in the past in an attempt to change history. An actor named Mark Camacho does a very nice portrayal of President Richard Nixon. Nixon has a pivotal place in the past events. Wolverine in the present is comatose and might suffer a swift death from the Sentinels. Wolverine in the past might find death in any number of ways. Oh my.
Director Bryan Singer keeps us on our seat edge throughout the film. He has amassed one of the most successful records in Hollywood. “The Usual Suspects” began his directing career in 1995 staring the amazing Kevin Spacey. He went on to create “House”, one of the best and most popular TV shows ever. He also directed two other in the X-Man series and the bloated “Superman Returns”. Only Superman failed to return a box office bonanza.
Equally successful screen writer Simon Kinberg penned “X-Men: Days of Future Past”. He also wrote “X-Men: Last Stand”, the comedy “This Means War”, “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter”, “Jumper” and “Mr. and Mrs. Smith”. I and the public enjoyed all of his stories.
Bryan Singer is blessed with a cast of winners. Academy Award winner Jennifer Lawrence returns as Raven/Mystique. Many of the characters have more than one name which makes it a bit more difficult for the non fan to keep everyone straight. I do admire an actress of her caliber who allows herself to appear in what will be one of the most watched films of the year wearing nothing but blue paint. Her real life boyfriend Englishman Nicholas Holt plays the Beast, another mutant. He starred in a lovely take on Zombie love recently in “Warm Bodies” which I also liked.
Ellen Page (brilliant in “Juno”) has a smaller but crucial role as Kitty Pryde, another mutant. We like Page a lot. Peter Dinklage (“Game of Thrones”) plays the evil scientist/tycoon Dr. Bolivar Trask with a matter of fact inhumanity. Reprising their earlier roles Halle Berry as Storm, Shawn Ashmore as Iceman and Anna Paquin as Rogue have appearances.
Finally, to complete the long list of name actors and talented not as famous people, we must mention two more. When Wolverine blasts into the past he deals with the younger versions of Professor X and Magneto. James McAvoy plays the young Charles Xavier and the magnificent Michael Fassbender plays Erik Lehnsherr who becomes Magneto in later life.
Full snaps to director Bryan Singer for holding all this stuff together. The plot is complicated. Many many characters come and go throughout the film. Massive special effects splash across the screen with terrifying beauty. But he brings it all to a successful conclusion. I will not give anything away but watch carefully the final scenes. If your heart doesn’t skip a beat, you shouldn’t read comic books.
This PG-13 rated film lasts a good long two hours and 11 minutes. It cost between $200 and $250 million to make but judging by the gigantic long weekend take of $263 million worldwide it should do just fine financially.
This is a four and a half saw blade flick. Be sure to watch until the finish of the credits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Singer Pulled It Off !!, May 29, 2014
Carlos M. DeLeon (King City, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-Men: Days of Future Past (DVD)
Two timelines. Timeline #1 runs from "X-Men Origins:Wolverine", "X-Men", "X2 : X-Men United", "X-Men: the Last Stand", and "the Wolverine". In this timeline Wolverine goes through Weapon X in the mid to late 70s, Magneto goes public in the late 90s, Jean becomes the Phoenix and kills both Xavier and Cyclops. Xavier, able to transfer his mind into another body, returns after the events of "the Wolverine" to enlist Logan in the coming war against Trask Industries and the rise of the Sentinels. Timeline #2 runs from "X-Men: First Class" and "X-Men : Days of Future Past". In this timeline Xavier and Mystique grow up together, William Stryker is much younger, and as of 1973 - Logan hasn't gone through the Weapon X program yet. Due to the events of "First Class", Bolivar Trask has begun work on the Sentinels. In Timeline #1 2023, Kitty Pryde (using the full extent of her phasing powers), sends Logan's consciousness back to his younger body to try to stop Mystique from assassinating Trask and setting into motion the rise of the Sentinels. The movie ends in a different 2023 which gives us a happy ending and the return of familiar faces. In essence, Logan from Timeline #1 going into the past automatically creates Timeline #2. Along with Beast's theory of "time ripples", we also have Xavier, Beast, Mystique, and Magneto with information of the future. What this means for the events of "X-Men:Apocalypse" has this fan very excited ! All ranting aside, I enjoyed this movie greatly. Are there plotholes ? Yes, some things don't match up with the other movies. Are the two Emmas the same person ? When did Weapon X happen ? How does Xavier walk in "X-Men Origins : Wolverine" ? Who is Secretary Trask ? Is Moira McTaggert a CIA agent or a doctor ? Did Beast come up with the "mutant cure" ? Was Kitty's team X-Force ? Etc, etc, etc. Suspend your belief and just enjoy the movies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugh Jackman is Still Too Tall, May 31, 2014
This review is from: X-Men: Days of Future Past (Amazon Instant Video)
But he has become such a great Wolverine.

I love to read books that are long, intricate, and dense. I prefer to read these types of books over others for a variety of reasons, with the main reason being the sense of accomplishment that I feel when I've finished reading a tome. The long inhalation and exhalation of breathe after I've closed that book for the last time is very satisfying.

I also much prefer longer movies (two hours or more) to shorter movies (about an hour and a half); but intricate and dense movies I can do without. With the exception of Pulp Fiction and Inception I gravitate towards movies which contain plots that are mostly linear and without too much exposition. This is especially true of comic book films. Even if the source material that the film is based on is convoluted the movie does not have to be, especially if the makers of the film want to reach a broader audience.

Prior to the release of X-Men: Days of Future Past there was some chatter about a somewhat convoluted plot which involved time travel and alternate futures. Despite this chatter, my excitement for the upcoming film did not dim; however, the prospect of having to grapple with a confusing storyline while trying to enjoy the film became a cause for concern. So, I decided that I would prepare for my viewing of the X-Men: Days of Future Past film.

I've been a fan of the X-Men since the early 90's. I read the comic books and watched the Saturday morning cartoons; and now that the Saturday morning cartoons have been uploaded onto YouTube, I was able to gain some insight and refresh my memory. The basic story is that of an X-Man from a horribly dystopian future(Bishop) being transported back through time to stop the assassination of a mutant hating and politically powerful human being by another mutant(Mystique). Bishop enlists the help of the X-Men of the present as he attempts to stop the assassination that leads to an abject future for humans and mutants alike.

The movie's plot is similar to that of the cartoon series; an apocalyptic war between humans and mutants has led to a dystopian future where mutants, humans who have been identified as potential progenitors of mutants, and mutant sympathizers are brutalized and/or murdered. A once proud body of X-Men has been reduced to a skeleton crew of rebels that must be content with hiding in the shadows while under constant threat of harm by deadly sentinels. After the umpteenth attack by a band of sentinels nearly brings about the destruction of the remaining X-Men Professor Xavier, the leader of the X-Men, and his friend/nemesis Magneto decide to put their plan of changing the past to ensure a better future into action; but instead of a full bodied Bishop it is an older Wolverine's consciousness that is transported into the body of a much younger Wolverine in the year 1973. Wolverine's mission: convince a young, powerless, and disillusioned Professor Xavier of the need to stop his childhood friend (Raven/Mystique) from killing the mutant hating scientist Dr. Bollivar Trask (Peter Dinklage).

X-Men: Days of Future Past is an epic movie. It contains the cast members of the first three X-Men films and the subsequent X-Men: First Class film, it chronicles the history of multiple wars, provides a parable on the importance of acceptance, involves time travel, provides a parable on the importance of hope, and involves two presidents. The special effects are the best that I've seen for a superhero movie (especially the sentinels of the future) and the action scenes are out of this world. All of this is stuffed into a movie that is a little more than two hours long, and it is so awesome.

But a movie like this cannot exist without the actors; and they are all taking their jobs very seriously. All of the main actors are top notch in this movie. I was particularly impressed with Michael Fassbender (Magneto), Hugh Jackman (Wolverine), and Peter Dinklage (Trask). All three of these X-Men characters are written as men that you would not want to play with, and each one of the actors are talented enough to make you understand why. And I must admit that I was not a fan of the casting of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine 14 years ago. I thought that he was too pretty, too tall, and too thin to play one of Marvel Comics most important superheroes. But over the years he has been able to flesh out the character of Wolverine emotionally and physically (he is massive in this film). And now I can't imagine anyone playing the role of Wolverine except for Jackman. It will be a sad day when he announces that he will no longer be able to play the character of Wolverine.

I enjoyed this film immensely, and I'm planning on attending repeat viewings of the film in the theatre before adding it to my own personal collection. X-Men: Days of Future past is the best X-Men film that has ever been made and one of the top five superhero movies ever. This movie is a guaranteed good time.

4.0 out of 5 stars X-Men: Days of Future Past movie reivew, June 1, 2014
What it’s about?

In the dystopian future, outlawed superhuman mutants are hunted down and killed, so gnarled and knuckle-clawed Wolverine is sent back to the 1970s to warn the younger versions of his fellow X-Men, thwart destiny and satiate the kidult Supanova crowd who still covet action figures in their 30s. Like me.

What did I think?

"Careful," one of the mutants says of time travel, "the mind can be stretched only so far before it snaps." Consider yourself warned. The exposition-and-character-heavy Days of Future Past could lose non-cosplayers fast. But hang in there. Paraplegic telepath Charles “Professor X” Xavier and metal-manipulating Erik “Magneto” Lehnsherr, again portrayed with impeccable dramatic heft by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender of 2011′s first-class X-Men refresh, make franchise rivals Thor and the Hulk look like the rather silly cartoons they are.

Returning director Bryan Singer adds flesh to his pioneering but outmoded early-2000s X-Men template, melding atomic-grade effects set pieces with Inception’s out-of-body mind-thumps (and Ellen Page), while introducing a tremendous take on the JFK magic-bullet theory. Oh, and there’s Tyrion Lannister.

So, Marvel’s latest mutation is both super AND cerebral? Your move, Avengers.

X-Men: Days of Future Past