1,686
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$18.69 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on December 9, 2013
I love this movie. I rented it and liked it so much (and the special features) that I wanted to buy it. First thing I notice: no special features on the blu ray?? The back cover mentions a LOT of them, I had already seen them on the copy i rented, but for some reason they're not in here! What's strange is that both the disc and pop up menus seem to have the space where the "BD live" and "Special features" buttons were included, but they're nowhere to be found!

I played the disc on my 2-month old 3D Blu Ray player, on my PS3 and my external blu ray player on my computer and still they're not there :( it's a shame because I absolutely love the movie and was really looking forward to watching the extended and deleted scenes. I also noticed the "Composer's isolated score" audio track isn't included either, which was actually my favorite feature.

Two stars because the movie itself is awesome!

I have posted pictures of the main menu and the popup menu for you to see how weird it looks.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 27, 2011
I guess considering all the crap Hollywood puts out today, this movie is one of the better movies. A good story and good acting... the movie seems real jumpy going from once scene to the next. I guess our standards today have been lowered so compared to other movies X-Men First class is average. I enjoyed it simply because I like the X-men universe... that is all I can say. I don't think this movie will ever be a "classic". Maybe after reading all these great reviews before watching I had high hopes and great expectations.

I felt the original Xmen movies were great and really enjoyed them. The only part of the movie I really enjoyed was when Charles And Eric try to recruit Wolverine (a cameo by Hugh Jackman) who tells them to get lost. The best scene in the whole movie!

I look at it this way... I enjoyed the movie... and in this day and age with Hollywood I find it very difficult to enjoy their movies. People say it is better then the original trilogy. I don't see that! People also said Batman Beginnings was better than the original Batman movie with Jack Nicholson. I still think the original Batman was better. The only remake I loved was Star Trek...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 24, 2011
-------------------------------------
"X-Men: First Class"
-------------------------------------
Watching it last night, I thought this X-Men prequel was pretty bad, and that it was a jumbled, semi-incoherent, slow-moving, for-fans-only geekfest. Keep in mind that I am a Marvel geek myself, and have read my fair share of X-books over the years, but I still felt this movie was a muddle, and suffered (greatly!!) from the same affliction as most modern superhero movies: too much exposition and too many major plot points crammed into one, single feature film.

Case in point: the "Beast" character, introduced here in his original, basically-human guise, proclaiming before the official formation of the X-Men team that a cure for mutanthood needs to be developed, later dosing himself with a prototype vaccine and turning himself into a giant, blue-furred teddybear. Most of this happened in the comics, but over a span of roughly ten years - much later, a mutant vaccine *was* developed and it caused the decimation of the Marvel mutant population. But why put all that into one film, much less a back-to-the-days-of-yore prequel which focusses on the Cuban Missile Crisis as a proving ground for mutants as superheroes? Isn't nuclear annihilation enough? It seems to me that comicbook companies are sitting on a trove of potential scripts, and that they could be more judicious in how they dole them out. Perhaps it would be better *not* to cram all the major concepts of an entire superhero mythology in all at once, but rather set a simple goal -- fight one fight at a time -- and make the scripts more entertaining and less unwieldy and top-heavy.

Also, for this particular film, I disliked the mix'n'match approach to the characters they presented, plucking out mutant superdupers from several different phases (and decades) of the X-Men saga and putting them all into a big script-writing Cuisinart, and in many cases (Beast, Angel, Sebastian Shaw, et al) changing the characters themselves so as to make them nearly unrecognizable from their print-media personae. Why? Whywhywhywhywhy?? The Hollywoodization of comicbook fiction continues to be abysmal, which is good in that it encourages old-school comicbook fans like myself to get a life and not take this stuff so seriously, but bad in that it means they are making such lousy films. Oh, well. On a more balanced note, my wife (who is not a big comicbook geek) thought the movie was fine. Hence the two stars, and not one. (Axton)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2011
I've been an XMan fan for years. When they made the first 3 in the series, I didn't mind the changes to the original story because they were close and had the spirit of the original. I enjoyed all 3 of the original movies, so I was eager to see this one.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I disliked that they changed the original Marvel universe (Sebastian Shaw was a Nazi who killed Magneto's parents ??? Emma Frost is Xavier and Magneto's age? Beast is part of this first class but Iceman, Cyclops and Marvel Girl are not?). But worse than being frustrated that they strayed so far from the story we all know, the movie was just plain boring. They lost me during the 2nd half of the movie.

I would not recommend this movie.
on April 20, 2015
I wanted to see the newest X-men movie, "Future Past" and thought I should see the earlier film. Nothing registered in reading the description, so I rented it. The earliest scene with Eric in the Nazi concentration camp rang a bell and I realized I'd already seen the movie. But, still, nothing came back to mind about the rest of the movie. As the film progressed more scenes registered, but up until the very end I had no idea how the movie would end. Nothing particularly bad about the performances, the directing or the cinematography/ special effects. The movie was just completely unmemorable, so I'd have to say the writing is at fault. There just wasn't enough of a hook to the story to make it stick in mind.
on July 30, 2013
After the disappointment of X-Men the Last Stand and X-Men Origins Wolverine, I was hoping that First Class would finally get this broken franchise back on track. With Brian Singer, the director of the first two X-Men movies, returning to direct I was anticipating a film that would make up for the last two duds. I admit when I first saw this film I liked it okay. However, like with Origins, as time passed, I thought about it more, and as I watched other reviews my opinion changed. I ultimately found First Class to be a big disappointment. It is not as bad as the Last Stand and Origins, but it is pretty close.

There are a few really good things about this film. In my opinion these few things save this film from being entirely awful. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender do an outstanding job as a young Professor X and Magneto. I will even go as far as to say that McAvoy and Fassbender are as good a Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen as the older versions. Plus Kevin Bacon was very fun to watch. I do not like the villain, himself, Shaw, but Kevin Bacon gives a great performance. I am a fan of Kevin Bacon as an actor. I think that he is good in anything that he is in whether it is good or bad. Those three actors are the saving graces to this movie. There are also some decent action scenes but I have seen better in the other X-Men films.

One of the big problems with this movie is that I am not sure where this movie stands in relation with the other movies. For a long while I confused on whether this is a prequel or a reboot. I was leaning toward the reboot option at first. However, this movie feels more like it is trying to be a prequel. The film deals with the friendship between Magneto and Professor X and when they finally became enemies. It also works in how Charles became paralyzed. Plus if this was a reboot it is a letdown overall. If they were starting fresh I would expect them to use the original X-Men team and this time incorporate all of the original X-Men like Cyclops, Gene, Storm, Wolverine, Beast, Angel, etc. Instead they give us mostly mutants we have never even heard of unless you are a big comic book reader. Not to mention that the new X-Men film, The Wolverine, takes place after The Last Stand. So clearly this is not a reboot.

However, this movie is not really a prequel either. First Class contradicts many things set-up in not only the Last Stand and Origins, but also the first two movies. For example, in the first X-Men they say that Professor X and Magneto created Cerebro, but here it was made by Hank McCoy/Beast (Nicholas Hoult). In this movie they establish that Charles and Mystique knew each other since they were kids and grew-up together. However, in the first three movies we have been given no indication whatsoever that they knew each other at all let alone grew-up together. Also it has been stated in the other movies that Charles and Eric/Magneto knew each other for years before they became enemies. In this film they only knew each other for about a week before becoming foes. Another weird thing is that Dr. Moira (Rose Byrne) is set up as potential love interest for Charles, but she never appears again in the other films. Those are just a few of the inconsistencies this film has with the others. If this is a prequel then it fails as a prequel.

Another problem is that the characters, other than Charles and Magneto, are not interesting at all and honestly are quite irritating. Mystique seems to only be in this film to create forced drama with Charles, Magneto, and Hank. I get where she is coming from, but she comes off as very whiny and a bit slutty. Mystique was not like that at all in the other films. The other X-Men like Banshee, Darwin, or any of the others I did not care for. I found them boring and too whiny as well. Hank was alright but I never cared about his plight. Throughout the film he tries to create this serum to make himself normal. He tells Mystique that it is better to look normal. However their circumstances are completely different. Mystique's mutation is throughout her body, while Hank's mutation is only his feet which he can easily hide.

The villains are also very generic. While I like Kevin Bacon, I think his character, Shaw, is a lame and idiotic villain. His ultimate plan is one of the dumbest villain plots I have ever seen. He wants to start a nuclear war so that mutants can take over the planet. Mutants are not any more immune to nuclear bombs than normal people. If nuclear war happened the mutants would die along with the humans. It makes no sense. Plus Shaw's accents grated on me. Sometimes he has a German accent and other he has a Southern accent. Both accents do not sound authentic at all. Emma Frost I found to be lame as well. Plus the special effect of her turning into crystal was beyond terrible.

The effects for this film are quite lackluster. Sometimes the effects are good but most times they were on par with X-Men Origins Wolverine, and that is not a good thing. For example when Hank fully transforms into Beast he looks horrible. The effect of Emma Frost in her crystal form is also really bad. The Last Stand's Beast at least looked really good and was played by a better actor. The effects in X-Men, X2, and even the Last Stand are miles better than the effects in First Class.

Overall, X-Men First Class is a highly disappointing and highly overrated film. I do not understand how this film can be so highly praised by both fans and critics. It is currently the highest rated X-Men film on Rotten Tomatoes. It is rated even higher than X2 which is entirely ridiculous. First Class is not even in the same league as X2 in my opinion. I think that the first X-Men film is also much better than this film. It more enjoyable to watch than The Last Stand and Origins, but that is not saying much.
on November 23, 2013
I wanted to like this movie. I though the concept was great. The execution, though, pitiful. The whole move felt clumsy and ill-conceived. Xavier and Magneto were capable actors but given little to do. No one else in the movie had any talent at all. The casting was the worst imaginable.

Kevin Bacon is capable actor... just not here. Shaw was physically imposing in the comics; an barely constrained monster. Bacon is skinny, sadly old and completely lost in camp. January Jones doesn't have the gravitas to play the White Queen. And the choices for the other characters were just sad. Banshee as a kid, Darwin (!), Pixie as a ho... The only inspired choice was Hank McCoy, cast again against type. And when he became PowerPuff Boy... er, "Beast"... underwhelming. Say what you want about Kelsey Grahmer as Beast in the earlier movie, he looked and sounded perfect.

Ultimately, though, casting is not the chief flaw of this movie. Uninspired "training" (let's train Beast by having him run around the mansion) and Banshee melting manikins. Training is always a dangerous choice; here it's just boring. Sending these feeble character to end the Cuban Missile Crisis? How did the world not end?

Bryan Singer has shown himself to have no emotional range. Every movie he directs is a disappointment.
on October 16, 2011
Fassbender was great as Magneto - as was the plot line that he had. It made me wish they had stuck with only making the Magneto Origins movie. Every time he was off the screen, the movie stopped short. All the other actors didn't nearly measure up - McAvoy might have if Xavier was better written. Magneto was the only truly fleshed out character in the entire movie and Xavier's development fell short. You were just supposed to buy into the fact that he's a goodie goodie and doing right just "because".

Aside from the acting complaints from the X Babies (the actor that played Beast was the best of the worst) and the fact that the Hellfire Club was so poorly done (January Jones was completely and utterly useless, I've never seen a woman run around in so much lingerie and yet be so completely un-sexy at the same time). They should have opted to switch out the Hellfire Club plotline with a Mr. Sinsiter/Nathaniel Essex plotline. For those that aren't familiar with X-Men characters outside the movies - Mr. Sinister is a human geneticist hell bent on gene manipulation and mutants. He's from the late 19th century but due to experiments done on himself, he's manipulated his own DNA and is pretty much immortal and impervious to pain. He also looks just like Kevin Bacon. Which is what Bacon should have been. It would've fit into the whole concept of the torturing obsessive geneticist Nazi doctor that they turned Sebastian Shaw into. Shaw, in the comics, is pretty much Lex Luthor but with mutant powers. He can absorb energy and then direct it back in brute physical force - he can't BLOW up things with it or use energy blasts. Why the movies didn't think it was enough to stick to the physical nature of his powers, is beyond me. Alas, back to Mr. Sinister - he is also obsessed with Cyclops and Jean Grey - which would've tied in GREAT to the future plot line where Professor X starts recruiting mutants for his school. It also would have worked for the film for Magneto's revenge plot line as well. Why on earth people get paid MILLIONS of dollars to execute and perform such a craptacular plotline with unbelievably horrible dialogue at times, is baffling to me. Oh yeah and did I mention that the black guy dies first? Yeah, that's right. The only black mutant in the movie...dies first. Cliche.

I'd recommend seeing this film ONLY so you can understand how bad it is at times. It's disappointing because a GOOD movie is in there - but it got completely buried alive under the horrible writing and plot. Also, continuity flaws abound, because while it's a reboot - it isn't - and while it is not a sequel/prequel - it apparently is. If the film was at least a stand alone complete 100% reboot, then I could perhaps forgive some of it. But that's not the case. And while the older X-Men movies do have flaws - some are very glaring - it at least didn't have a precedent to compete against. That's what's so bad about this film in the end. It could have been AMAZING and it could have truly been "The Dark Knight" of X-Men films, yet all it becomes is a movie about a bunch of sort of angsty teens that really aren't that angsty and about two guys that are pretty much trying to do the same thing - one of which has clear reasons for his motives, the other is just apparently a blind optimist.

So with that said - can they please just do a TRUE X-Men film...... one with the REAL first class of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Angel, Beast, and Ice Man? Is that at ALL on the freaking scope of anyone out there?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2014
I'm sure its a nice set, but it doesn't play in PS3's, so I had to order it on DVD
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2011
Now granted the X-Men movies have not been written for the fans of the comic books. That much is obvious. But this movie just does a huge disservice to both strip and to movie fans. Besides having terrible dialog and no story line it just blows to bits the entire X-men story. The relationship between Charles and Magneto is completely distorted which is unfortunate for so many reasons. The acting in this is superficial and Michael Fassbender's portrayal of him as a man on a mission to kill is just wrong.

There is nothing memorable about the cast with January Jones being particularly ineffective. She has the winy, put upon queen role down pat. The only remotely interesting bit was the cameo by Wolverine which was perfectly played. Other than that the weak story, bad acting and terrible directing is just not worth it.