Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: X Out of Wonderland: A Saga
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 29, 2005
Cates does an interesting job of poking fun at the "global free market" and those who believe in it. When bad times fall on the eponymous protagonist, he embraces his newfound freedom. Eventually, though, it becomes clear that much of the economic success and failure has nothing to do with optimism and everything to do with luck.

The farce is great. The understanding of how the global economy works and the origins of our market system is sublime.
on May 25, 2006
I read 'Candide' more than 40 years ago (and had forgotten all about it). 'X Out of Wonderland' was a flashback to the effect.
It shames me to note that I was drawn to 'X' because I thought it was a critique of global economics telling me what I wanted to hear. Fortunately, 'X' is far more sophisticated. My base motives were disappointed, and I am better for it. David Allan Cates writes a surprisingly even-handed, nonjudgemental, matter-of-fact sort of story. 'X' is humorous, provocative, titillating, entertaining. Its style invokes motion of the mind. Serious & wise ebb & flow with ridiculous & foolish. It wanders. It moves fast. It's tornadic. An expose' of life and the human condition, 'X' reveals fragility & resilience, opression & victory, dispair & unfettered optimism. Most of all, 'X' is about the interconnectiveness of human life. We see the-way-things-are in 3rd person detachment. I like how the book left me feeling.
"And all we can hope for is to be fondly remembered."
"Here's to luscious serving wenches!"
Nah... It can't be summarized with quote bites. It took David Allan Cates 141 pages. Ya gotta read the book to get the feeling if you're gonna understand.
on May 17, 2011
I really liked story. It was funny, because i read the first two sentences and threw the book down, thinking that it was horrible. Later I read a bit farther, and didn't set it back down til I finished (its a fast read). Anyways, I wish that Cates was given more credit because I think that this is an awesome satire!
-also I recommend this book to all of my friends..
on March 31, 2010
A fun, quick easy read, and incredibly prescient, as several of the disasters that befell X have actually occurred in real life since the book was published in 2005.
on November 16, 2005
X Out of Wonderland is not for everyone. It is a commentary on corporations and the business side of cglobalization screw people over. Mainly poor people in poor countries. And example of this is when a company called Bechtel (Donald Rumsfeld was closely involved with it)worked with the government of Bolivia to privatize the drinking water there. They then sold the water at outrageous prices making the poor people have to choose between drinking water or say, going to the hospital, or sending their children to 2nd grade. The general population rioted and got the privatization overturned.

I told the above story for a reason. First of all, its true, and people should know about it. If you dont believe this is true or possible, you wont like this book. Its very abstract. It jumps around alot, and when reading it for example, I felt vaguely as if I was on a LSD trip, because the story is so bizarre.

If you dont agree with the authors beliefs already, you wont like this book. Even if you do agree, there is a good chance you wont like this book.