4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S NOT REALLY A GAME, IT'S A SIMULATOR
Published on June 29, 2012 by Badzilla

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to use
Published 20 months ago by Steve O.

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S NOT REALLY A GAME, IT'S A SIMULATOR, June 29, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
Since Microsoft is leaving the flight simulator market, this is the only simulator in town. Without help, you might have trouble taking off. Look around and figure out where some of the settings are, then... Turn off all of the weather, making sure there is no wind. Relax all of the control settings, making it as easy as possible. It's not like the old Microsoft Flight Simulator (that isn't really a simulator), you cannot just hit the gas and take off. If there is wind and you don't compensate for it, you will hear your front wheel skidding as you start sliding off of the runway, that is if you don't have a controller to work the rudder. There is a really cool part of this simulator though, it's the roads. They incorporated real roads for the whole world. That means you will be able to fly around a familiar area in a light aircraft and noticed the roads the way they should be. Search YouTube for "X-Plane 10" videos. This version is USA only (I bought it elsewhere before it was for sale here). The world version costs $70 or $80. It quickly uses up all 512 MB of my video card. According to the documentation, it can easily use 1.5 GB of video RAM at maxed settings. I'm looking at a 2 GB video card. The simulator takes a while to start up. Not sure I believe it, but I have been told that an SSD does not significantly improve load times of this simulator. But it does run in Linux significantly faster than it runs in Windows, I have been messing with Linux for a while, dual booting (Linux makes dual booting easy, but always back up your important files). Good luck and have fun.

Edit 1:
Load time in Windows XP is outrageous. Definitely not recommended. Windows 7 or 8 are okay. Apparently Linux is the fastest. I tested it right here on all of them. But this $30 is a great price, if you don't have Windows XP.

Edit 2:
In Windows, you might receive an annoying error message about having too little virtual memory. That is misleading. Most of us think of the swap file, but they're talking about the maximum amount of swap file memory individual programs are allowed to use, not the size of the swap file. Using Windows 7 or 8, open a command prompt as administrator, and then enter this command "BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 3072" without the quotes. Use copy and paste, if you know how to paste into a command prompt. After restarting your computer, the error message should disappear. There might be other/better instructions for Windows Vista.

Edit 3:
Not long ago, they included "Quick Look" view commands.
"you get 10 QL views per aircraft and they're saved/recalled anytime you switch aircraft. The QL keys are number-pad 0-9 by default. So for example, to recall QL3, just press the 3 on your number pad. To save a view to QL3, just get the view the way you like it, then press CONTROL + Num-pad 3. CONTROL is the default modifier key to do memorization"

4.0 out of 5 stars A Definite Rival to MSFSX, October 8, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
First off, I am not a private, commercial, or military pilot. I have been using MS flight sim since its inception. I must say that I like both MSFSX and Xplane 10. I think they both have strengths and weaknesses. I will mention what I perceive to be the good and not so good for Xplane 10. In the end, I think you cant go wrong with either. I like them both!

Good
- Excellent weather modeling and the clouds are spectacular.
- Night flying graphics are highly realistic.
- Allows the user to configure the game to their system's power. It seems you can use a slower cpu and hardware and still have decent results.
- You can get updates from company by visiting their website.
- Runs stable and smooth.
- Some of the planes which come with it are highly detailed and fly awesome!
- You don't need to buy the whole world unless you want to.
- Try landing a helicopter on a rolling deck. This sim replicates the movement; not just a ship moving on still waters!
- Runways are not flat. They are modeled more realistic.

Not so good
- Long initial loading of game.
- Hardly any airport layouts, just runways.
- Confusing and tedious game configuration. Maybe too many things to configure!
- Some of the planes which come with it are NOT highly detailed and remind me of many years ago planes in FS.
- Cost of the game is more than FSX.
- ATC is primitive and planning a trip requires you manually setting the flight computer or gps system if your plane has it. I suppose thats a plus for real pilots.
- No missions available, there are some basic scenarios saved but not full talking missions.

My System:
- AMD Phenom II 965 X4 3.4 ghz
- G-Force 9800 GTX video card
- 4 gb ram
- Windows 7, 64bit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent upgrade (from a long time FS2004 user), December 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
I'm a long time FS2004 flier. I started my sim career using Sub Logic Flight Sim II on the Apple IIc. I progressed though various flight sims including FS5, Fly, Fly II, Flight Unlimited (all three) and FS2004. I spent almost a decade flying FS2004. I spent hundreds of dollars buying add-ons, GoFlight modules, etc.

When I built a new computer system, I decided to try X-Plane 10 demo. I tried various X-Plane demos, mostly for about 10-20 minutes then never using it again. However with my newest computer setup, I could run X-Plane with very high details and fluid frame rates. This convinced me to abandon FS2004 and go forward with X-Plane. I did reinstall FS2004 and my add-ons, but after flying with X-Plane, FS2004 just looked so "dated".

X-Plane is a different simulator. It was a little difficult getting used to how it flies and specifically how to interface with the simulator. The keyboard and joystick commands were almost all different. Once I got out of my FS2004 habits, X-Plane really came alive for me. I bought this version (North American) because I didn't want to install 50 GB of world scenery when I mostly fly in the US. I saved about $30 over the cost of the world scenery version. I spent that extra $30 buying a few add-ons for X-Plane.

Now you cannot compare FSX or FS2004 directly with X-Plane mainly because most people have advanced custom installs of Flight Simulator, and X-Plane out of the box is not exactly as impressive. But being recently released and actively developed, X-Plane supports some nice new technologies such as multiprocessors and advanced graphics options. I could take advantage of my new computer setup using X-Plane and once I spent about a week tweaking the options, I had X-Plane looking awesome and running great.

I am impressed with the scenery, the mech data, the textures and mostly, how the aircraft fly. I've flown a real plane a few times as a student, and in my not-expert opinion, X-Plane aircraft behave in a realistic manner. Not that FS2004 wasn't realistic; I'm not comparing FS2004 and X-Plane directly. It's just that X-Plane "feels" right.

I am very happy with my X-Plane purchase. After installing a few add-ons, and a lot of freeware add-ons, I am satisfied that my X-Plane experience will match and eventually exceed my FS2004 experience. I've even taken up airport design - it's a known "issue" with X-Plane that most airports are just runways and taxiways - no buildings. So I've started adding them to the airports I fly into. X-Plane has a free downloadable world editor that allows you to simply point-and-click and add buildings, hangars, aircraft, etc to your airports. I've made a few airports that I think look plausible and spent maybe an hour or so on each one.

X-Plane has a free demo that I used for a few weeks to make sure I really wanted to buy it. I suggest you use the demo and make sure you can configure it to your system and be happy with the results before spending money on it.

If you are a FSX or FS2004 flier, you cannot download X-Plane and fly it for 10 minutes - you need to set it up, tweak it (much as you did with FSX or FS2004), make it run nicely on your system, then judge it. And you cannot judge it against FSX or FS2004 - judge it on it's own merits. You will find a lot of positives in X-Plane, and some negatives. You will want to say "FS2004 did this" and "FSX does that" - avoid these comparisons. Just judge the flight sim based on how it runs on your system, how it feels to fly, and what it looks like. This is what I did. Previous to X-Plane 10, I downloaded the demo, compared it to FS2004 and said "X-Plane isn't like FS2004" and deleted it from my computer. This time around, I gave it a fair shot, played the demo for a few weeks and then bought this version (which was cheaper than the world scenery version).

Going forward, X-Plane is the future. It's currently being developed and advanced. It is supported and being actively worked on. Recently the developer added 64-bit support. You can email him and ask questions or make suggestions. X-Plane has only a few developers, but they respond to emails and forum postings all the time. You are buying the latest flight simulation product, not an old, unsupported and no longer developed product.

As I stated, I just built a new computer system, and X-Plane rocks on it. My previous system, X-Plane was marginal at best. But after my hardware upgrades, X-Plane looks and flies great. FS2004 of course runs excellent on my new system, but it's 10 year old limitations are obvious compared to X-Plane (this is my only comparison).

My system is an AMD Fx-6300, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD and Nvidia GTX660. It's a fairly powerful setup admittedly, but it handles X-Plane at high resolution and maximum textures at great framerates. In fact, after I installed X-Plane and tweaked the graphics, I disabled the frame rate counter and never looked at it again. There was no need - X-Plane runs great, so it didn't matter if I was getting 25 fps or 50. All of my hardware works with X-Plane including my GoFlight modules, my Desktop Aviator module, and joystick.

If you are on the fence about X-Plane, and you are currently an FSX or FS2004 flier, do yourself a favor and try the demo. Not just for 10 minutes - fly with it for a week or two. Tweak it, make it run and look nice, configure your joystick, etc. If after playing with the demo for a few weeks you just don't like it for whatever reason, then delete the X-Plane folder from your drive and there's no loss to you (X-Plane installs in a folder - no registry entries, no installing files to Program Files, etc).

My experience with X-Plane converted me from FS2004. And only because I gave the demo a fair shot, and didn't compare it to FS2004. My recommendation is for you to do the same.

My hardware: AMD FX-6300 - 8 GB RAM - SSD - GTX660 - GoFlight modules - Desktop Aviator module - Saitek Aviator Joystick

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to use, June 12, 2013
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
Tried it with a joy stick and with key strokes. I was a 22 year Naval Aviator and I have a little over 5000 hrs. A lot of it is actual instrument time. I flew both single and multi engine props and about 800 hrs of single engine jet time. This is nothing like actual flying. I thought I would enjoy doing some simulated instrument flying but this simulator is too difficult to control. If the planes I flew were this erratic I would long ago have crashed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Flight Simulator!, January 5, 2013
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
I was looking to set up a realistic flight simulator in preparation for taking actual flight lessons. After reading that Microsoft was leaving the FS market I searched for a replacement. X-Plane was recommended so I downloaded the demo. This simulator is capable of using multiple PC's networked together to drive the peripheral views. This is the one thing that was seriously lacking from any other flight sim that I have ever used before. The individual PC's are able to devote their entire resources to drive each particular display.

Overall this sim has saved me tons of money when you compare against $115/hour airplane cost and $40/hour CFI cost!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on multiple monitors!, March 19, 2014
E. Thwaites (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
Having had enough of the Microsoft FSX sim and its horrible load times and out-of-date graphics, I was quite surprised at the quality of X-Plane. The terrain is simply gorgeous, and the included aircraft are very well modeled. This is not a "game" in the strictest sense. You can amp-up the simulation realism/difficulty, and a great option which FSX does NOT have is the ability to import community-sourced content. You want to fly a BSG Viper Mark II, or Halo Banshee? You can with Xplane.

5.0 out of 5 stars So you want a 'proper' flight simulator? Careful what you ask for!, January 7, 2014
Chris (Alameda, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
There are easy ways to use this simulator, you can mess with the settings and get it to dump you in to one of the standard models in an easy situation and then fly around. But then you'd be missing a great deal of the fun.

So you want to know how real aircraft work and how you have to fly to get a loaded 737 to maximum altitude? Or you want to land a 777 at SFO the way the Asiana guys didn't? You can try that, but it is going to take a fair amount of homework and practice.

At the high end you can by the USB key that locks the simulator in to the FAA approved and certified mode. Or you can buy a Boeing certified 777 Worldliner model. Starting from cold and dark you need to know what systems on the aircraft to power on, how to program the FMS to set the takeoff speeds, route, performance settings and all else. When you have done all that, then you can actually start up and taxi to the runway for takeoff. But don't go too fast or you will skid off the taxiway. Once you are lined up you need to know how to configure the autopilot to enable the autothrottle so that the engines give the required performance and you take off just like the real thing. If an engine fails on takeoff when you were taking a full load of cargo from JFK to Ted Stevens in Anchorage you are going to need to know how to handle that, or crash.

There can be a lot of crashing in this.

Switch on the real weather and take a winter flight from LAX to Jackson Wyoming and you may well need to know where to find the anti ice controls on your Hawker-800. Or you will surely crash with a lot of ice.

Engine losing power on your Cessna 172? Now where is the carb heat switch?

So maybe you'd like to fly in to the most dangerous airports in the world? Most of them are in the standard maps.

The graphics rendering isn't quite real world, but the visual range is very long. You can pick up airports at a realistic distance and fly a visual approach.

What else do you want to do? RC aircraft? Sure. Gliders, helicopters, space planes. It's all in here.

The add on market brings better system models for things like x-FMC which brings a virtually Boeing standard flight management computer in to the system. You can then hook that up to an iPad or Android tablet to get a push button, or at least touch screen, interface.

At the highest level X-plane is the software driving several real world commercial simulators.

But you just want to play? OK, so load up a Harvard and go for a ride.

There are many many free planes to download, of varying authenticity and accuracy, from kids project to almost the real thing. Then there are the top end models like the A320 and A380 from Peter Hager and the Boeing certified 777. Or you can make and modify your own.

Well worth the money. But really not a game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mechanically the game is superior to Microsoft Flight Sim 10, February 1, 2015
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
Mechanically the game is superior to Microsoft Flight Sim 10, however, graphically this game looks like Flight Sim from the 90's. There is very little scenery and the planes and sound don't really live up to what FSX has supplied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sim, not a game, June 11, 2014
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
X-plane 10 is not a game, it is a true flight simulator. It will install on all current versions of Windows, haven't tried Linux but that will happen shortly. The initial program is a starting point and an entry into a world of simulation. I have purchased and downloaded aircraft and expansion packs that really add to the experience. For best results a pretty high powered PC and graphics card(s) are needed but it is possible to run with lower settings for a less robust system. Keep in mind that Microsoft stopped supporting all versions of their flight sims except the free Microsoft Flight and it is very limited. Plenty of help with X-plane from the forums, FAQ's and there is an online manual plus pdf version as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars cannot get any enjoyment out of x plane 10, August 29, 2014
This review is from: X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC (Video Game)
there re visual parts of xlane 10 that re very enticing. However, i find that i have no control over anything.
The user interface is unusable. I have purchased and flown six versions of MS Flight sim plus fourteen
military simulators. I just can't get anything out of this program. i am baffled as to why it receives
rave reviews from the publisher. I have searched the internet for "how to fly X plane 10'. what comes up
is forums where everybody is having the same failures i am having. great looking grphocs, smooth flight dynamics,
you cannot fly anywhere are do anything. Waste of money, but after considering x plane for years my curiosity
got the better. There is no flying enjoyment in x plane. it is a ton of work with no return on investment. Save your money.

X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC
X-Plane 10 Regional North America - PC by Graphsim (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$29.99