Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: X10 AM486 Appliance Module
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 12, 2015
I have used these modules for about 20 years with great success. I ordered two more to expand my system. The new detailed specs and instructions that come with the unit say that the minimum load which will be reliably controlled is 40W. The control of a load less than 40 watts may be erratic. I have always used these to control a home sound system where many of the elements consume less than a watt and none of them consume 40 watts. One of the two that I received will not work on my low wattage expansion elements and I assume that the problem is low wattage consumption. I have explored the specifications at several sellers of these items and on the X10 website but the the minimum wattage is not on any of those sites. You won't know about this until you get the units.
on February 28, 2012
I have been using X10 controllers for 20+ years we simply wore them out. Since the Government has decided that we must use florescent bulbs I decided to go with AM486 modules since they work with either incandescent or florescent bulbs. They worked great.
on April 22, 2014
I experienced false triggering with this unit. It would switch the lamp on by itself. I sent it back for a replacement and the replacement unit did the same. So then I switched to using an older unit of the same model and the problem went away.

I put the new unit in another location and the problem did not surface there. So all is good in my house now. Apparently the newer units are more sensitive and more prone to false triggering.
------------------------------------------------

6 MONTHS LATER
The unit failed, stays on all the time. I can't find anything about warranty, just Amazon's return policy for any reason.
The older models lasted years without failure. Not so sure these are worth the money.
on March 5, 2014
I, like many, started buying Activehome products when they got big. The problem with those is the single-button address setting. Every time we had a slight power hit, the Activehomes would randomly lose their address. These X10s don't have that problem since you set the address manually. I have some of these that have been running for over a decade and absolutely love them!
on February 24, 2012
Work great like all x-10 products, only complaint I have is that the add does NOT state that these are 2 pin polarized modules rather than the more common 3 pin ones. My fault the X10 catalog number was given and I did not cross reference with the X10 site. I would have preferred the 3 pin modules.
on January 5, 2013
Item works great and no problems. I hooked the module up to equipment controlled with an old Commodore C64 computer with a program on a 1541 floppy drive with a cassette backup. Works great. Brings back memories of when you actually needed to program a computer in order to use it. Lots of fun.
on July 13, 2013
Same as always. I've been using these for years and they work fine for controlling my bug light and LED lighting outside. Getting them here is easier than going to their site where they push all the other stuff they want to sell.
on January 25, 2016
Works great. But as all X10 units, you have to have it on a circuit that links to the controlling signal. It has trouble jumping across different sides of a circuit breaker service box or to a second box.
on July 30, 2010
I use them (I bought 2) to control florescent lamps from my bed (I'm disabled). Nothing else will do that at anywhere near the price. Easy to set & then just plug it in.
on January 20, 2015
The appliance module I received works very well and I am very satisfied, however I received the 2 prong appliance module. I intended to order the 3 prong module. I must have ordered the wrong one. Can I exchange the 2 prong for a 3 prong ?