Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on May 3, 2015
The current buzzword in home automation is "Z-Wave" technology, in which every single device is a miniature router that can command, receive commands from, and forward commands onto any other device. It follows an industry standard, so every device works with every other device no matter who manufactured it.

Or, so they say in the ads. But here's the terrible dark secret: while the HARDWARE may be inter-compatible, the PROGRAMMERS are not - and you have to have a special separate programmer to make them work. And to get two devices made by different manufacturers to work, you need a universal programmer, costing hundreds of dollars, connected to a laptop running a special application, and have been specially trained in the Z-Wave programming language.

How did I find out all of this? Take a guess!

In the end, I came back to the old (practically ancient, in fact - mid 1980s!), reliable, analog standby, X10. No, I can't push a single button to turn on one thing while it dims another and turns off two other things on the other side of the house...but I didn't really need to. I needed to turn on a ceiling light in my bedroom that I couldn't get to, and this works. They were on different circuits and did not communicate at first, so I had to switch a circuit breaker from one side of the electrical panel to the other. But at least you don't have to be Z-Wave factory-certified to know how to do that. So I got another one to turn the drop lights I just installed in my gym on and off and at the same time turn my flatscreen TV on and off, using the excellent (although oddly shaped) X10 wall-mount keypanel controller, which you can change keypads to and have it control or dim one, two, or four different things without having to replace the whole unit.

The inline receiver module is big and clunky, you'll need a big deep box to mount it in (it completely crams a standard one-gang plastic rectangular box to the brim), and like all X10 devices it makes a startling loud click when the relay activates. But it's simple, and it's inexpensive, and it works.
on November 23, 2015
It's a good plan B in case wiring the old fashioned way is impossible. But be aware that if it doesn't work, it can be difficult to troubleshoot.

I had a Transmitter/Receiver combo when I moved in to my house. Suddenly, the lights this combo used to control, stopped working with the switch. Now, which one broke? TX or RX?... so I bought one, replaced it, and still nothing. So, I bought the other saying "this must be it". At that point, you already went through the inconvenience of ordering twice, and IF IT WORKS, then returning the first device (trip times to the post office). In my case, I had extra work: it still didn't work with both TX/RX replaced. Contacted X10's customer service, who were very nice trying to help... but it's tough to troubleshoot this bugs... they attribute the malfunctioning to excess line noise. Could be. But still didn't work.

So, after spending time installing and uninstalling, going through the return process, driving to the post office to return the items (paying shipping for one of them), I ended up calling an electrician to run the wire from the wall switch to the light (switch in first floor, light high up next to the roof... it's a security light. Tough to reach. I guess that's the reason previous owners chickened out from running wires and used this x10 approach).

Old-fashioned way costs: $190 + ~$100 to patch the drywall and paint.
x10 approach (in case it works the first time): approx $70 (RX plus TX, not including your own installation time... if you will do it). If doesn't work, add the extra inconvenience described above.

You be the judge. In my case, I preferred the old-fashioned way: solid, will NEVER fail, well-know... but a bit pricey. I still preferred it... and I did it at the end. Your case... it may make sense x10 approach
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2014
This performed exactly as promised, used in conjunction with "X10 PRO 1-Button Keypad Plus Transmitter Base Kit (XPT1-W-NS)" so that I was able to add a switch for a fan light in a location to which the fan light was not wired. Very nice, very simple for anyone good at DIY electrical wiring.
on December 14, 2014
This works exactly as described. Installation using the supplied instructions was very easy. I even remembered to turn the power off first. Remote control works flawlessly.
on January 20, 2016
If you have the proper application for this device...this device will work well for you. I used them for a set of lights in a theater room and it worked great! Thank you...
on November 5, 2014
Great product. A bit bulky but was able to fit into existing (and retro-fit) electrical boxes to split multiple lights installed on one switch.
on April 25, 2015
Needed X10 control for light in hallway. Works great, using X10 motion sensor.
on July 27, 2014
Exactly what I wanted and a great price. Works perfectly.
on February 16, 2015
This is a discontinued item but it is great to find.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2015
perfect transaction, everything like it says