4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to beat bargain.
Published 3 months ago by A. Kibbe

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it considering alternatives
This is considered a successor model to the x200ca, although it's basically the same build.

Published 9 months ago by Daniel Sacilotto

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to beat bargain., July 17, 2014
This review is from: ASUS X200LA-DH31T 11.6-Inch Touchscreen i3 Laptop (OLD VERSION) (Personal Computers)
My review is taking into consideration the cost of the unit and the intended purpose. This little laptop is very inexpensive but comes with some nice features. For less than $500 you get an Intel i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive, 3 USB ports, one of which is a USB 3.0, a touch screen and Windows 8.0 (not the greatest). I believe that this is a bargain because it has more than what many tablets plus keyboard would cost. It is a full laptop with all of the advantages of laptops over the limitations of tablets.

If all you want to do is surf the web, watch videos, write email and word processing, then this more than meets your needs. The keyboard is adequate for typing with hands the size of my hands. It can show HD online videos without a problem and you can have several tabs open in your browser. Because it is very light in weight, it is easily portable and comfortable to sit on your lap. Sounds great? Of course there are a few negatives.

The unit is made out of plastic and the trackpad is the weak spot. It makes a lot of noise when clicking and feels cheap. For a unit equipped with an Intel Haswell i3, the battery life is not great if you watch a lot of videos. That is what I do a lot, so I can't tell you how long it will last just surfing the web, but for what I do with it, 4 hours would be about the maximum. And we do not want to forget that it comes with Windows 8.0 and not Windows 8.1.

Upgrading this machine from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 was not an easy task. In order to upgrade to the more recent operating system you have to bring your Windows 8 system up to date by installing all of the updates. There are about 100 updates for Windows 8 and if you let the computer do all of them at once you may run into problems. I did. After hours of downloading and installing the updates, Windows failed on configuring the updates. Another reviewer here has a method that should work better by only updating a few updates at a time. Once Win 8 has been updated, then the installation of Win 8.1 was not a problem and worked without a glitch.

Even considering the negatives, and there are always some, at this price it is worth buying. Just don't expect that you are getting a Macbook Air.

4.0 out of 5 stars good little laptop, June 26, 2014
My asus 1015pn finally died and was looking for a replacement and the x200la seems to fit the bill.

Runs cool, nice screen graphics, about the same size as the 1015pn. Hardware uses w8 64 bit and w8.1 64 bit. Has I3 cpu resulting in a faster unit than the 1015pn and also has 4 gig ram . Not really a game machine but a good work on the road unit.. Item was shipped in a timely fashion and case looks ok. Would have liked an all aluminum case .. Would also have liked a 1 terabyte 7200 hd .. has 500 gig 5400 rpm hd .. Also noticed that unit has an Asus x200ca manual on desktop pdf file. You can also download it from web site. Suggest you become familiar with page 78, entering the bios screen from boot to page 92 or so recovery..

Also noticed that the x200ca laptop has drivers for w7 64 but the x200la does not. Suspect these are similar laptops and probably the x200la would run w7 64 with x200ca drivers. May test in the near future. Note .. Unit does "not" come with a dvd drv but external usb dvd easily obtained for 40-45 dollars or so from various web suppliers . Suggest you get one..

Unit came running w8 and I updated the bios to latest issue downloaded from ASUS web then did conversion from w8 to the free w8.1. Took 4 hrs to complete updates.( over 100)but need to do all updates in order to download/install w8.1..

Prepare yourself to kill 1 day doing the w8 updates, w8 image backup, w81 download, and conversion. But it is worth it, to get ease of use and speed increase.

Tip: After w8 updates are completed suggest downloading using the latest free Belarc advisor program first to identify/display your w8key ,among other things, as there will not be an Microsoft sticker key tag on your unit to display same. You may need the w8 key in the future.

TIP ..don't try to do all 100 + updates at once otherwise you might get a config failure and get to reload the w8 os from the hidden part and naturally get start over(3 hrs wasted) Suggest do 10 updates at a time and let the unit config the updates then repeat.
Will take about 4 hrs but it works first time.. Next download w8.1 from the ms store and let it install ... takes 5 + hrs and high speed connection might be a little faster. . Let w8.1 do the 6 or so updates and your system will be ready.

Now take the time to learn the differences between w7 and w8.1..especially pc image creation and backup/restore in the cloud.

Will update as more use is accomplished. So far so good, I would recommend this product.. jackp

update 8-19-14........

Laptop still running well now using w8.1 pro 64bit

Tip... How to boot from external device dvd or usb (procedure not in asus manual.. but maybe should be)

Enter bios setup using key f2/disable fast boot/enable csm/disable secure boot control in secure boot menu/exit and save/ let laptop start/ now reboot/

now shutdown/connect usb thumb drv or usb dvd drv/cold start/select boot menu during initial start up using esc key/select boot device/ go to work..
jporter

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and portable, May 14, 2014
This laptop is truly a laptop computer. I have used it for my online college classes while I recline in my favorite chair. The computer has the power of a much more expensive computer, but can be used on the go owing to its light weight. I also use it to stream directly to the HDMI input on my audio amplifier. I have had this computer for two weeks and have watched Netflix streaming programs via home WiFi. The computer does wake up in 2 seconds due to the hybrid hard drive. When asleep it uses minimal battery power, so you can close the lid and then open it back up and resume whatever you were doing. I use this feature when I take it to and from work. The cost is the lowest when comparing similar features with other brands. I am very happy with this computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, April 13, 2014
Joe H (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Easier to use after the free upgrade to Windows 8.1. I've only had it a week but two things I am happy with so far is the plastic body has a carbon fiber look and feel to it and more importantly the wireless internet reception capability is awesome. At work in a room with a very weak signal this laptop beats all(compared to about 8 various laptops). As far as start time, I am up and running and on the internet 53 seconds after pushing the Power button.

4.0 out of 5 stars ASUS X200LA-DH31T 11.6-Inch Touchscreen Netbook., March 24, 2014
Excellent netbook. I call it netbook because its small and has no DVD drive but its powerfull enough to rival any basic laptop. It has a Core-I3 processor and plenty of memory. I can accomplish any task on this netbook that I would ordinarily do on my home or business computer. Plus, its small and lightweight enough to carry around in my briefcase. I love it and recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it considering alternatives, January 6, 2014

I got my hands on a refurbished x202e model by ASUS, which has pretty similar specs, except that that model ran on a third generation i3 3217u vs this model's 4th gen Haswell 4010u chip. Besides that, only the battery (3-cell vs. 2-cell) build is different. I sold my x202e because I found that the battery, although acceptable, was coming up short for my expectations (3 hours ish on browsing...)

With a low voltage Haswell, and a 3-cell battery, well, I expected a boost in battery life. So I got this thing new. The build is much coarser, and plasticky. The battery life is only marginally better. And the trackpad came in wonky... slightly sunken on the left side, which I hear is a recurrent problem with ASUS zenbooks as well.

On the upshot, although this also comes in at 4GB ram, it is allegedly upgradable to 8GB.

The screen brightness is also a bit too low on this one, and it is both a tad thicker and heavier (marginally, however).

In addition, the machine feels actually slightly slow and sluggish at present, compared to the x202e. I upgraded to 8.1, and the drivers, but the performance is still less than what I was expecting. Also, the restart time is ridiculously long after the 8.1 upgrade. It takes about 4 minutes...

My advice is that you stick to the i3 x202e, which you can get refurbished for $300 if you have a little patience. This model is uglier, not better in performance, slightly heavier, and only marginally superior in battery life. And, of course, the defective touchpad is not a relief. As per the camera and sound, I haven't really tested them yet. It is still probably a good deal overall, but I just don't get why anyone would get this over the x202e.

I am very let down by this machine; I was expecting better battery, and the loosened touchpad right out of the box compromise the comfort and solidity as well. I will send it back and get a x202e when I see it for a good price, or maybe just a t100...

I'm getting around 3.5-4 hours battery, which is only very marginally better than what I had. Not worth the additional $200 I spent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Customer Service. Pray you don't have problems., September 26, 2014
ASUS has the single worst customer service and warranty program I have ever had to deal with. If you do buy their product, you'd better pray that you don't have any problems with it, because you won't get any help from ASUS. In the year that I had one of their laptops, mine broke down 5 times. Every time I sent it into their 'service' center, the part they replaced failed again within months, or even weeks. At the end I was so sick of spending hours and hours on the phone with them, paying to have my laptop shipped back time and again for repairs that I gave up. Amazon was great enough to offer me a partial refund for the unit, but ASUS refused to do anything. They also promised call backs from supervisors on at least 3 occasions and I still have never heard back from them.
Please save yourself the horrible headache and loss of data and time. Stick with Toshiba, or really anyone other than ASUS.

2.0 out of 5 stars I do not recommend that anyone purchase this laptop, October 30, 2014
I bought this laptop in May, 2014. Overall it's been disappointing for the following reasons.

1. Battery life is mediocre, about 2 to 3 hours.
2. Haswell i3 processor is not particularly fast. I bought this laptop to replace a 3 year old HP laptop with an AMD Llano processor that wasn't much slower than the i3.
3. Glare on the screen from nearby lighting is pronounced. Reading the screen in or near sunlight is nearly impossible.
4. Cheap keyboard.
5. Starting a few weeks ago, screen began to flicker occasionally and will need to send to Asus for repair. Asus customer service makes it hard to send in for repairs.

I do not recommend that anyone purchase this laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars at best, an open box item that had been repackaged, July 22, 2014
This item from Tiger Direct arrived in a box sealed with an ASUS sticker. When I opened it there where minor scratches inside and out suggesting this was, at best, an open box item that had been repackaged. It was a gift, so I didn't have time to return it. So Tiger Direct one, this customer zero.
As for the computer, it seems to work fine. I like everything but the loud clicking mouse pad. It took some time to upgrade to Windows 8.1, but it went without a hitch. The processing time isn't that great, but probably as good as it gets at this price range. All in all, I like the computer, but disappointed in Tiger Direct.

4.0 out of 5 stars horrible touch pad other than that is quite nice, June 2, 2014
I feel is a good notebook. No ultrabook. everything works fine. i have no complain whatsover for the price.

THE ONLY THING that would make this laptop for the price is that they need to change the touchpad which sounds horribly filmsy and poorl made.

touchscreen is impresive for the price
Fast procesing