Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ASUS X401A-BCL0705Y 14" Ultrabook Notebook 1.8GHz Intel Processor 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 320GB Hard Drive
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 22, 2013
I have purchased ASUS since 2007. I had one of their original netbooks. The batteries keep there charge even after years of use. It is durable and compact for traveling. The size and power to run office and adobe photo shop make this a great notebook. This note book has so far lasted me watching two movies and working while on long flight. I particularly enjoy the battery not burning me on my lap. Which as traveler is important.
on March 1, 2014
The size is perfect for travel and I needed a laptop for school one I can actually FIT into my bag or even walk around with. My main concern about getting a new laptop was mainly the issue with it overheating, but thankfully the fan on this laptop is not on the bottom for anything it's actually on the left side along with one of the usb ports and the charger port which makes me very happy...overall It has met my satisfactory needs except for the annoying track pad; because it's so wide you can't tell whether you are clicking the left or right which is a bit of an issue ..I guess you need big hands? It gets annoying but I paid a really decent price especially as a college student.

UPDATE ABOUT TRACKPAD/MOUSE: After watching the Asus tutorial that was already installed, I discovered that the trackpad isn't annoying after all, it basically works as a touchscreen...SO COOL!
review image
on January 15, 2014
Very small package. Plenty fast enough for daily use on the internet and homework. Have bought only expensive lap tops in the past that usually don't last more than a year or two. We are very pleased with its performance when you consider its price its a great buy. Would recommend it for a student. The only con is there is no cd drive. but with todays technology we can work around that.
on March 25, 2014
I had a real problem deciding between this and a Toshiba 13.3 Chromebook. For $25 more I got this full-featured notebook. The biggest problem faced is Windows 8, since it is significantly different from Windows 7. Fortunately, I was able to download Google Chrome, and am using that for most purposes, until I learn Windows 8. A new free download of Windows 8.1, upgrade 1, should be coming out soon. It will cut RAM use down significantly. I have also downloaded Malwarebytes and Avira for anti-virus, along with LibreOffice (all free programs). I checked out the PassMark score on the Celeron1000M processor, and it should be more than adequate at 1725. I have an older ASUS with an Core i5 processor (Passmark 2500)and I can't tell any difference in the speed. My biggest criticism is that the textured finish shows hand marks very easily. A silver finish wouldn't show as bad. Wish the screen was matte, instead of the usual reflective finish. But for $300 I seriously doubt you are likely to find a machine any better than this. I especially like the lighter weight of the 14 inch. I will never buy another 15.6 inch machine. I already own a seperate CD Rom, which costs about $30. If you are going to do a lot of number crunching, you can also buy a square numeric pad for $15-20. But so far I haven't had a need for either. That's part of the beauty of a 14 inch. You don't need to carry around things that you don't need or use very often. Next step up for me would have been a Core i3 Lenovo 14 inch. for a little more than $400. But this unit is a great one for college, because it is portable and inexpensive. Good for taking notes in class. I also own an 11.6 inch laptop, but I think it is a little too small for full time use. It's a Windows 7 machine and has a processor with a Passmark of 550.

UPDATE: PROBLEM WITH TOUCHPAD. After working with ASUS Tech Support, the computer was sent back because of a Touchpad which malfunction. ASUS solved the problem and sent it back in a timely manner. Better service than I expected.
on March 4, 2014
This laptop isn't too small or too big. It's the perfect size to take anywhere. It is fast, and I can't find anything that I dislike about it.
on May 5, 2014
I have been a big Asus fan for years now. Great product for low cost. We bought this for our 18 year old daughter and she loves it! Everything loads quickly, jumps online quickly, and so far it has been a smooth operating laptop. Our daughter does not use it for gaming or large programs. She uses it mostly for getting online, socializing and writing her books. She is the author of INK (The Ink Trilogy), which can be found in Amazon Books. Her second book 'POISON' will be coming out in June of this year. There's a nice plug for her. One thing she and I cant stand about this laptop is the material that makes up the outer case. The plastic shows everything! You touch it and you have oils from your skin all over the laptop. Be sure you have a soft wipe cloth at all times because you will need it! Other than that we love you Asus!
on September 11, 2014
These are great notebooks for when your on the move. I ordered several of them but unfortunately one of the was malfunctioning on one of them. Overall its not a bad computer for your typical email, web surfing and various school work. I do love the sleek profile of these computers -- very mobile.
on May 21, 2014
This is a nice computer, even thought the Windows 8 can be a pain in the butt sometimes. Outside of the difference in the operating system everything else seems to be pretty good and the quality really isn't bad at all considering the lower price compared to units that have the same features.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2014
This came installed with Windows 8 and after a few days it kept telling my version could not be activated and I have to call customer service to get it to work. The message kept coming up and prompting me to activate and then when I tried, it would tell me my code was incorrect. What a huge inconvenience! Also the space bar NEVER works. You practically have to bash on it to get it to work. (Which is annoying because I got this laptop in order to do my writing on it.
on April 25, 2014
I am taking online accounting classes for which my Mac is not adequate, so I bought this little guy for $305. It works just fine. I hate Windows, but until the accounting world shapes up and learns that Windows is just for making PCs act like Macs, and does a lame job of it, I'm stuck with Windows. But that's not the little Asus' fault! If you want to use a CD, though, buy something else. Otherwise, light, portable, works. Just keep your expectations as low as the price.