Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2010 9:30:30 AM PST
AMG says:
I am trying to decide between a XBOX 360 with kinect and WII as a gift for a 50 year old woman who is out of shape. Would the xbox 360/kinect be too strenuos for her?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 10:56:49 AM PST
Robin A. says:
I just got the Kinect and it is definitely more strenuous than the wii. You have to stand with every game for the kinect and while it is fun it is more difficult to navigate and no sitting. There seem to be more 4 player game options for the wii which is nice for having people over and I would assume that would be better for her. Also, I recommend wii party it is a great game for 4 players of any level.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2011 3:58:48 PM PST
Dark Lacky says:
How are her hands? Reason I ask is if she is having any issues with her hands the Wii wouldn't be my choice. While the person I purchase the Kinect for is older than 50, she has lost some use in her hands due to aging and other medical issues. The fact kinect is "controller free" is a huge bonus for her. Now she can enjoy these fitness games. She was unable to do so with the Wiimote.

That might be a consideration for you and others to rethink.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 10:33:15 PM PST
It depends on the games. The wii with Wii Sports is a low impact thing to play - bowling is good. And there are good games too. Remember - the Wii can be used while sitting down. The Kinect is good if he doesn't mind standing up and moving his entire body. Plus it works as a entertainment center (Although the Wii has Netflix so that advantage is somewhat blunted). I have both and both are good for different things...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 10:35:35 PM PST
Yes and no though... One of the of the problems with the Kinect is the menu's in a lot of games. You have to hold your hand steady in one spot for a couple seconds to activate them. With the Wii it is point and click and the icons tend to be bigger. But on the other hand, if it is arthritis then the Kinect might be slightly better since there is no controller to hold and it also uses voice...

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 12:19:07 AM PST
B. Mansfield says:
the kinect blows away the wii
the wii might have started this revolution, but its not even a player in it anymore with the kinect and move

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 7:26:51 AM PST
I think it's mildly unfair to compare the Wii and the Kinect - they are two rather different approaches to that idea. The Kinect is trying to do things in a very different way than the Wii does. And the Wii does have advantages over the Kinect - one of them being Netflix. The XBox is great streaming netflix but the Kinect likes to sometimes hear what the movie is saying and interpret it is "Fast Forward" or "Rewind" or "Pause" for no good reason. Plus when it comes to fitness games, I still refer mentally to Wii Fit as the gold standard for that type - games like Your Shape are probably better workouts, but Wii Fit encapsulates every part in a way that is still just better laid out and more accessible. The Kinect, on the other hand, does more while making you hold less stuff in your hand, which is good... Basically both are good, just different. I can't say much about the PS3 Move since I have never used it (As a rule I skip Sony stuff since they rarely have games I am excited about)...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about