XCOM: Enemy Unknown Special Edition - PC (Includes: Game, DLC, Artbook, Poster & Soundtrack)
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionChange
Price:$12.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 10, 2012
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
I am one of those old school gamers like most of you who have bought the game. I played the original for many countless hours during my early teens, with the lights off, and the music up. The memory from this experience and all the fun I had still lingers with me. I have been waiting for many years hoping that a remake will be made. That said when I pre-ordered this game my expectations were pretty high. I've spent 5 hours playing this game and let me just say that if you have an open mind you will get the same worm and fuzzy feeling you had when you were a kid playing the original, and for me this is a win. Sure the game is not an exact remake and it shouldn't be. I am glad Fireaxis is taking advantage of the new available technologies to create a new vision for this series. For the short 5 hours I played the game (the PC version, this game should really be enjoyed on a PC) the game crashed only once which I consider an acceptable flow. I got used to the control and the interface in about 45 and was feeling really comfortable with everything in about an hour. So far I don't have a single thing to complain about, and believe me I don't usually get pleased that easily when it comes to game "remakes" that I really love.

The bottom line: If you love the original and keep an open mind you will enjoy this game just as much. I know I am!
on April 24, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
Unfortunately, I was sent the regular version of the game and not the "special edition" which was specifically ordered for the extras detailed in amazon's description.
on April 19, 2014
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
I have to agree with the poster below me, Das Spartan, I too was under the impression that it would be the Special Edition PC game being listed by Amazon which included extra's. It clearly states under the description that the pc game would come with Special Edition Features include a fold out poster of the XCOM base- An art book detailing the conceptual journey of re-imagining the classic, a patch of the XCOM Viglio/Confido insignia and digital bonus items including multi-monitor desktops, soundtrack and more. It did not, very disappointed being a birthday gift for my son who is a big XCOM fan. But to be fair to J & S Games and this review, it is a special edition version just not the one listed by Amazon in their description. You only get a paper pamphlet and two dvd disc's, Disc one and two that's it but on the pamphlet there is instructions on how to download the special edition content. Just a heads up for anyone who might be thinking it will be the special edition material extra's like the art book and so forth, maybe someone else might be selling it but not the J & S games version. I was looking for the special edition version listed by Amazon which included the material extra's. I don't know if this will get resolved, I know my son is hoping so but the game was already opened and if Amazon is going to charge me return shipping and stocking charges then it might not be worth it. The game am I sure will be great.
I just figured out on how to add photo's under the share link, I just added some photo's on the special edition pc game I received from J & S Games take a look.
review image review image review image review image
on December 31, 2013
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special Edition
Althought the graphics, sounds, and cutscenes are excellent, the game has some significant flaws. Part of the charm of X-Com 1, 2 and Apocalypse, was the ability to really manage your gear.

Now, I'm a turtle player - I believe in strong defense and let the enemy break itself on you. In the original games (and especially Apocalypse), you could assign each piece of gear. I routinely put extra rockets in the team's backpacks and made a "drop" of gear for the team. Everyone had multiple grenades, especially smoke and incindiary.

This game? You can have one.lousy.grenade. One. OR you can have a one-shot medical kit. One use? Are you kidding me?

It's really a shame because the game would rock with a decent inventory system. I WANT to micro manage the equipment. Gear is everything! I want some damn crew machineguns, a mortar, and some freakin firepower!

Also, in the old games it was ROUTINE to blow an entrance in walls, roofs, etc. you never, EVER, went through a door. Can you do that in this? Nope. Grenades are rare. Rocketeers get ONE. LOUSY. ROCKET.

It's not a magic potion, morons. It's technology. The only limit is cost and weight. So what the hey! Sadly, they got the x-com feel just right, then totally dropped the ball when it came to the combat.

Don't even get me started on the train mission where you have 10 turns to activate 4 transponders and the train while under attack by 8 Thin Men, 4 Mutons, etc. Seriously, it takes me 10 turns just to set up where I want to be!

Really disappointed.
on August 16, 2013
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
As an owner of the original DOS version of X-Com: UFO Defense--who skipped Terror From the Deep and went straight to X-Com Apocalypse--XCOM: Enemy Unknown (EU) is both amazing yet a disappointing step backwards. Some of the bad things about EU could change, like the current lack of content (DLC), the repetition of the maps (no random tile generation), the lack of total maps and regional differences of maps, as well as some of the serious, game-halting bugs. The worst one I've encountered so far only happens when you use the auto-save function of the "ironman" mode. Every time your soldier uses a reaction shot the game will crash. I'm sure 2K Games will patch this issue, but from my experience, 2K Games are known to crash (whether you're talking 2K Sports or otherwise). I had to try out EU, but I am definitely disappointed 2K ended up with the top bid.

Other issues might not be as easy to fix, like the lack of early game strategy. Every game you play requires you to build satellites as fast as you can. There's no other way to play the game. The game strategy layer is also pretty disappointing, as "high cover" is hard to find and subject to RNG critical hits. Missing point blanks shots and getting hit from a mile away are argued to be factors one would encounter based on previous versions of X-Com, but they come across as rather frustrating, damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. Some players avoid certain types of rescue missions called "council missions" just to avoid a certain type of alien that always spawns during those missions, due to high ranged accuracy and crit potential. Avoiding those missions is possible because they don't negatively affect gameplay.

If you're a fan of the original, or curious, get this title for no more than $25-30.
on May 10, 2013
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
My favorite moment so far with this game was an early campaign, when I realized I was losing the war. I had done fairly well winning individual battles, using a balanced system of six soldiers: a sniper, two heavy weapons carriers, two laser-wielding riflemen, and an assault trooper with a shotgun.

But I was struggling to master the strategic game. I hadn't yet figured out how to upgrade my weaponry, and I was starting to lose veteran troops to increasingly well-armed and armored aliens. I started to lose battles, and governments began to panic and stop sending me funding. Then UFOs began to shoot down my satellites, leaving countries exposed to invasion. Once the screen started showing panic on the streets of Russia and Brazil, I could feel my control of the situation slipping away from me. On one hand, I was annoyed--on the other, I thought it was great. I was emotionally linked to the game.

Several elements make this game work:

The Tactical--Turn-based movement gives you time to actually think about how you will handle a fight, but even then there are no guarantees. Sometimes the enemy stumbles into you piecemeal, but later in the game, they can attack in a swarm--and if you let them get on your flank, you're toast. You must use your troops correctly and there are distinct tactical formations and fighting styles you must master. There's nothing better than a game where you have to toss down some smoke and withdraw before you're overrun. What's more, I have yet to have a battle that is exactly the same as before.

The Strategic--Instead of slowing down the game, it enhances it. The strategic side isn't that complicated. It's just enough decision-making involved that, if you pick wrong, you'll slowly see the war slip away from you. You have to balance building satellites, researching new technologies, and developing your base's infrastructure to deal with an ever-more challenging alien threat. Woe onto you if you get late in the game without weapons with the firepower you'll need.

Maps--Although there is some repetition in maps, there are plenty--and with changes in objectives and varying alien presences, it's not as big a deal as I thought. I've had a cakewalk on some maps, then return in a second campaign and find myself facing a nasty alien force. Aliens come at you from different directions, as well, so no two fights are the same. Also, some maps seem to take delight in lacking the terrain you need to stay in cover. It creates some really tough situations, and it forces you to think carefully about your maneuvering.

Mood--It's nice when a game can be more than just shooting things. The characters that run your base offer some emotive comments from time to time. You can customize your soldiers, which I recommend, because if you create a squad of best buddies--and they are shot down--it adds a little flavor to your disappointment. The game also gives you occasional clues as to what direction you hear noise, which allows you to face the threat but adds a little tension as you don't know what you're going to face.

Ruthlessness--This game has no mercy--but it's nicely balanced so it doesn't deflate your enthusiasm. I just lost my colonel, who I lovingly built up through 24 missions. She took the high ground to provide cover, but little did I know that there were some aliens nearby who could climb. Then alien assault troops showed up--and I couldn't get a medic to her. And the clock kept telling me how long she had before she bled out. And once a character is dead, they're dead. And you feel their loss.

All in all, this is a great game--a nice balance of tactical and strategic that makes you think but doesn't demand overwhelm you with details or slow play.
on April 29, 2013
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special Edition
I dread leaving this review here because of all the hardcore fans there are. I am NOT someone who played any previous versions of this game.

The game is fun and I beat it on the normal difficulty level while learning to play it. The normal difficulty is much too easy. The graphics are pretty good regardless of the glitches and shooting through walls etc. Those really weren't a big deal.

After starting the game again on classic difficulty, this is where the problems of the game makes itself present.

The game is strategy based and revolves on statistical probabilities. Those statistical probabilities is what you base your strategy on. These are represented by percentages (of whether or not you will hit, crit, etc) Unfortunately, XCOM fails at this badly. Rather than making the game more difficult when increasing the difficulty level by making a more intelligent AI, it basically just ruins the statistical probabilities to the computers favor. It wouldn't even be that bad if it would at least give you realistic percentage possibilities. In a simple way of explaining, there are times where I will watch my team countinuously miss the target with 80% hit chance or better then turn around and watch the computer hit my team members from far across the screen with a super "critical" hit. Nothing is more frustrating than watching 4 members of your team completely miss a target standing 2 blocks away from them even when each has a 87%+ chance to hit. It makes no sense other than the fact that the computer is obviously trying to compensate for the increased difficulty. Increased difficulty should mean tougher, smarter AI, or even a lot more opponents. Instead the game ruins it by creating improbable and unrealistic dynamics which have nothing to do with strategy. Combine that with your players freaking out when someone gets hit then going all crazy and killing teammates. It becomes frustrating and unplayable.

This is a fun game on normal but far too easy. It is still enjoyable although frustrating.

---------------

Edit - I installed the Long War mod and it completely improved this game.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 27, 2013
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
Not mentioned anywhere on the Amazon product description, this item requires Vista or 7. This title does not work using Windows XP.

Graphics are good, and transitions are mostly smooth. However, this game is all flash and no substance. Every single action requires a cut-scene. This grinds the game down to a tediously slow crawl while you wait for the game to catch up. The novelty of the cinematic transition wears out almost instantly. Occasionally the transition is slippy while you ghost inside of an object to watch the action unfold.

So much of this game was spent on the visuals that there is virtually no depth. The tech tree is only 3 layers deep. You can max this out long before the game is finished. Maps don't provide any particularly unique challenges. Squad size is limited. Only four classes of one type provides very little opportunity for multidimensional interplay. There is very little incentive to replay after finished. "Second-wave" unlocks are uninspired.

This is a $15 game in $60 packaging. Third-person, turn-based strategy was a novel idea, but this was poorly executed.

Final verdict: skip/trash
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 11, 2012
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
Very seldom will I agree with ratings listed on the physical game box. Game Informer gave this title a dizzying 9.5 out of 10 and for once I'm able to agree with that assessment of the game. If you're a fan of the original (maybe even Terror from the Deep) then I'd say this *is* the droid you're looking for! Ahem, game you're looking for. ; )

There are some nostalgic things missing. Gone is the micro managing mini game of making medi-kits to buffer your in game funds. Sure enough, gone are many of the visual items from the first game. However, in it's place is still a high replay value game that, at it's core, is essentially very much like the original game. For those new to the series, you'll find that turn based game isn't as dirty of a word as you might think it is.

A lot of the clunky stuff from the original is gone and in it's place are some enhanced UI upgrades. Obviously this was to fit into multiple platforms but, for me, it still shines best on PC. With some downloadable content on the way I'm giving it a 5 out of 5 here on Amazon. Not only does the game offer you great bang for your buck, but it makes a nice gift for your hard core gamer. This year XCOM Enemy Unknown fits the bill for a must have stocking stuffer or gift for the gamer in your life.
on November 8, 2012
Platform for Display: PCEdition: Special EditionVerified Purchase
There's other game reviews so i'll be brief about this:

Squad-based, turn-based tactical combat against aliens that out-gun and out-number you! XCOM challenges you on several levels, with multiple layers of game play. This revisiting of the original adds 'action cams' and soldier audio to missions, but also removes most of the micro-management that XCOM was known for.

Difficulty wise, XCOM is as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.

PC SPECIAL EDITION: Non-download copies of XCOM came with a fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters, VIGILO CONFIDO uniform patch, and artbook. The poster is decent quality. The patch is slightly smaller than a playing card and colored tan and black. The artbook is also fairly spiffy - with included spoiler alerts!

Overall, XCOM may not be for purists - but its worth a try. If you can spring for the PC Special Edition, its nice to have the stuff.