Published 14 months ago by JohnnyFi

3.0 out of 5 stars steam code worked fine. ew seemed to break xcom for me though
steam code worked fine. ew seemed to break xcom for me though. have not been able to play as title does not launch. this and dishonored are the only steam games I own with this frustrating problem.
Published 8 months ago by incandenza

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands Down my favorite Single Player game... dare I say ever!?, December 18, 2013
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
XCom: Enemy Unknown was fantastic. I played the game way too much for my own good. I love the fact that this game is turn based so as a dad I can literally put my computer down and run off to pay attention to my wife, the kids whatever. It has an excellent story and everything else... But since this review is on Enemy Within, I will say that it has taken the greatest Turn Based game I've played and added a slew of goodies. Thank your Firaxis for making such a fantastic game. I'm scared to look at my steam account to see how much time I've logged on this one! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then the original, November 14, 2013
Carl W. Taitano (Los Angeles, Californai) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I played the original X-com and 2 of the sequels. I have played the new X-Com Enemy Unknown(XCEU). XCEU got boring after a while with fun but limited game play. This is much better. It has better variations for your soldiers and the EXALT group is a good challenge on top of the aliens. There are more and varied maps to fight on. Its underlying story is how you end up becoming the enemy you fight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn based strategy with steep learning curve but worth it, October 20, 2014
Franklin "bfranklin" (Chandler, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Pros: Terrain morphs as you fight, realistic weapons effects, beautiful graphics
Cons: Easy is hard, classic is really hard, impossible is, well you guessed it
Bottom line: hard to stop playing it once you get the hang of it. Getting the hang of it is pretty tough.

Some pointers on playing this game. First off, start on easy, or else you'll get frustrated, take your machine gun, and go home. Second, the blue line is where you can move your player and still have an action left, like shooting, overwatch etc. Third, and most importantly, on the harder missions (well, all of them really) use the overwatch. Know the overwatch. Love the overwatch. If you don't have a good hit probability, don't waste your shot, use overwatch. If you don't have anything to shoot at, use the overwatch. Once I learned this valuable little trick, I started kicking booty, and the game became much more enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DLC, January 11, 2014
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
First off, you have to have XCom: Enemy Unknown for the PC in order to play this. I personally really enjoyed XCom: EU. But this DLC greatly increased the replayability of the game. The base game didn't change much. You're still doing the same missions for the most part. As far as contents, they added covert ops/EXALT missions and Portent, but I don't feel they're that much different from what's in the original. But genetic modifications and augmentations changes the game quite a bit, enough to make new run throughs almost like a new game. If you have XCom: EU, this comes highly recommended. If not, wait til the EU/EW combo pack on Amazon is at a decent price and grab that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent experience, March 3, 2014
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
If you are a XCOM fan then you should buy it, This game worth the money I paid for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my..., December 28, 2013
GFX (The Mile High City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
What XCOM:EW adds to gameplay is stunning. I thought for an add-on it was priced a little high, but even though I got it on sale I would have paid full price without regret (mostly a function of time, which I was applying to other games and was not in a rush).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great turn style tactics game - a huge improvement over Enemy Unknown, November 15, 2013
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I've been waiting for this expansion for quite a while now. It's very good, this is the way the game should've been, I felt like xcom enemy unknown was a little shallow - this fills in the blanks. I'm totally impressed with Enemy Within.

5.0 out of 5 stars XCOM rocks!, March 4, 2014
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I have an entire bookcase full of PC games and a few online ones but the game I go to more than all others combined is Enemy Within. IMO it contains all one could expect in a turn based tactical wargame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile for all players, March 2, 2014
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
Adds tons of options, new missions, and a ton of fun. New enemies are a blast, but some bugs didn't get ironed out.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS is how gaming is done, February 4, 2014
This review is from: XCOM: Enemy Within [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
XCOM: Enemy Within (XEW) absolutely captivates me. It's predecessor, XCOM: Enemy Unknown was a stroke of remake/upgrade genuis. XEW takes what works and just makes it better to the nth degree.

The additions of Mech and Genetically Modified soldiers is a real treat. With Meld being a relatively rare resource needed for either type, the decision making process is intense. Should I use Meld for a Mech, which eventually becomes a walking death machine, (though susceptible to Psi attacks)? Or would a genetically modified super solder be a better fit (though it uses up more Meld)? As the base expands, soldiers rank up and the alien threat progresses, priorities become crucial. Science Research? Engineering Upgrades? With so many factors and choices to make, the replayability of XEW is exponitially superior to everything I've played in recent years.

Did I mention there is also a rival Human enemy that has a tendancy to show up at the WORST (most fun) possible times?

XEW is by FAR the best single-player experience I've had in my gaming history (which goes back more than a couple of decades). Doesn't matter if you are a grizzled veteran to turn-based strategy games or are new to the concept, I encourage everyone to give this a whirl. You won't be disappointed.