5.0 out of 5 stars More Compact Than Some Alternative Multifunction Models, February 17, 2010
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
This 75 pound multifunction machine arrived quickly. It didn't come with the USB Cable that's required, a minor annoyance. The price was competitive and has dropped significantly since my purchase. Before ordering, I contacted the seller to confirm this is new, not a refurb.

I had an immediate problem with the machine but not due to any fault of the machine. This machine ideally should be plugged into a wall outlet directly and not to a battery backup surge suppressor unit. Otherwise, it tends to turn itself off. However, it has a surge suppressor built into it. When you have problems such as this, you can use their offshore call center in Manila and benefit from their troubleshooting history. Manila is Zerox's 1st-level technical support. More on that below.

Xerox is a big name in copiers, of course, and this model serves industrial needs yet should be complimented with a "workhorse printer." One can't expect a multifunction machine to be used as one's workhorse printer. A really good printer might last ten years and down the line the worry will be whether operating systems will support them. Multifunction machines last in good condition maybe half that long depending on how they're used.

This Phaser 6128MFP/N reminds me a lot of much larger HP machines I've seen in offices except it's a lot more compact. The scan area is the max paper size: 8.5 x 14 in. This machine uses Paperport software. You can scan from your computer using this software and that's how I use it.

The setup seemed easy except for not including the USB cable. But there was a twist to it and my experience will save you time. Initially, I believed the Phaser 6120MFP was not capable of using the feeder tray to scan multiple pages. My first call to Manila erroneously confirmed that, and I used the glass to manually replace page after page for multi-page scans. A recent call to Manila resulted in my being connected to the 2nd-level call center, which is in the U.S. The 2nd-level support assisted me in using the setup wizard to enable the machine to accept multi-page scans using the feeder tray. This machine can scan multiple pages using the feeder tray.

Learning to use the software requires a little more than previous models, but the software is better. A scan can be done in varying resolution scales with the highest being truly great. It's amazing what you can do with this model once you learn how. Because of the ease and interface, you will control your scans from your PC.

Pros:
* New, not a refurbished machine
* Xerox name brand
* Customer and technical support, available M-F from 5am - 5pm Pacific time
* Ease of installation on network
* Resolution: up to 600 x 600 dpi (dots per inch) is excellent
* PaperPort - great scan to PC desktop software
* Windows, Mac, Linux supported (I use Windows 7 and without issue)
* Excellent color print quality
* Prints legal size - the tray expands to hold the paper size
* Improved front panel for ease of use and troubleshooting (for non-jam error codes, just power off then up)
* 27 second warm up time is quite reasonable and makes power saving feature practical
* Security features: secure fax receive; secure print; scan to email with authentication
* Scans multiple pages at a time
* Speed within this price range: color is up to 12 ppm (pages per minute); black & white is up to 16 ppm
* Toner gauges - see toner level
* Paper types: Bond, Business card stock, Card stock, Cover, Envelopes, Glossy, Labels, Plain paper
* Compactness of machine and appearance
* Quiet - the energy saving feature makes this extra quiet
* Save using Run Black - allows you to substitute colors you run out of by using black, a standard feature in multifunction machines today
* Includes one year on-site warranty and Xerox Total Satisfaction Guarantee
* Low power consumption
* Good warranty coverage (after 1st yr, it's $25 per call for assistance)

Cons:
* Paper size is maximum 8.5 x 14 in.
* Manual 2-sided output, but is expected at this price range
* Relatively high running costs in toner
* 35 sheet document feeder is too small for some jobs
* Maximum 40,000 pages per month duty limitation and recommended print volume is only 3,000 pages per month
* Print speed of graphics is slow
* Doesn't come with required USB Cable
* May have to be plugged directly in wall outlet to avoid continual self-shutdown.

Advice for Using Support:
Print out your Configuration Pages (3 pages), circle the Serial Number on the 1st page. Write the Xerox technical support phone # on it and file. Use that whenever you call technical support. They ask for your serial number upfront. Try not to be as accepting of a no-can-do response at 1st-level support as I was. Get to 2nd-level for anything complex or unresolved. When you have an error, you have to remove it before you can change any settings.

When considering this machine, you might look at the competing Dell product. I prefer the Xerox name brand over Dell, all things being equal. The Dell multifunction printer: Dell 2135cn Multifunction Color Laser Printer

Any questions - please leave a comment so I can reply. Comments to help evaluate versus other multifunction options are welcome.
If you have this machine and have issues with it, please post a comment and let me know - thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality multifunction laser printer with wireless capabilities., December 17, 2010
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
I was in the market for an affordable wireless laser printer which would produce professional quality documents. (Despite warnings of radiation from wireless devices and their impact on human brain physiology, I am still a "wireless" guy.) Before purchase, I did extensive research and read many personal and professional reviews on various laser printers and respective toner cartridges. Since I need scanning, copying and printing functions from one device, I decided Xerox 6128MFP was right for me and am ultimately happy with my decision.

I will only focus on my experience with the wireless feature of this Phaser in my review. For a more complete review, I highly recommend you read Citizen John's review and comments, which were very helpful to me.

Based on comments from other reviewers, after I installed basic setup for Phaser I called Xerox for help in getting wireless connectivity and functions to work. Level 1 cannot help you with wireless issues and you will be escalated to Level 2. At Level 2 you will talk to an experienced Xerox technician. I allowed Level 2 to remotely access my laptops so that he could make adjustments to Phaser settings and to laptop settings. After about an hour, he got wireless PRINTING functions to work. WITH PRINTER CONNECTED VIA ETHERNET CABLE TO ROUTER, I can now print wirelessly from my two laptops (XP and Vista 64), I asked Level 2 to guide me through proper procedures to get wireless SCANNING functions to work. Level 2 assured me the procedures were easy and provided me with a couple of online articles from Xerox to read and follow. Level 2 said that I can call back if I cannot get Phaser to wirelessly scan to laptops after trying on my own.

I could not get wireless scan function to work on my own so called Xerox back. After about an hour, Level 2 was successful BUT wireless scanning to laptops would only work if firewalls were turned OFF before scanning. (Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 were installed on both laptops.) Level 2 attempted to fix firewall issue but could not. He advised me to get help from Kaspersky to get firewalls from blocking port 139 (communication port between Phaser, router and laptops). I contacted Kaspersky via online chat and they provided instructions to fix firewall settings. Now I can scan from Phaser to printer with firewalls ON.

My wireless life is complete now. I am happy and ready for business. Good luck!

Other Notes:
* Ethernet cable connected from Phaser to wireless router (this model does not have built-in wireless card).
* Xerox-brand toner cartridge replacements are expensive! I will be buying from LD Products when toner runs out.
* Scanning to email is possible but I have not set up this function since it is not critical for my use. Per Level 2, you will need critical information from your email service provider to get this function to work.
* I have no need for faxing (wireless or wired) from Phaser. I have an eFax service (Nextiva) and eFax numbers/accounts do not work with this Phaser. (As an aside, Nextiva has very good customer support services!)
* Automatic feeder can be used to scan a multi-page documents. No more scanning one page at a time!
* Shop around! I waited for Amazon to drop price but since this never happened, I bought it from [...]. It was delivered to me within 5 days via FedEx and I paid $100 less (out-the-door, with shipping charges) then Amazon's advertised price at the time.

UPDATE 1/12/2012. I bought two new laptops. Since I do not know how to set up the wireless connectivity by myself, I use the USB cable now. After months of use, the printer still runs great even with LD ink cartridges. It's a workhorse and looks kool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xerox printer, July 16, 2010
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
Over the Top ! This is one sweet printer,fax,copier and scanner. I'm running XP professional and with the old HP printer I had the software was a nightmare. With this printer the software was simple and the thing prints well not to mention fast. Much faster and so quite. It automaticly drops down into sleep mode when nothing is going on and quickly refreshes to spit out a document in no time. Excellent Small office machine. I've had it close to 2 months now with no hassle. Toner still going strong, but I haven't started printing flyers yet for the bussiness, so I'm not shure how long the toner lasts. I do know one thing; it prints clear and no hassle operation is what I need and want out of a printer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a small buiness - but expensive ink, March 20, 2011
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
small buiness -- this printer has been almost trouble free for 3 years -- the technical support is very good. . .print quality is okay - not bad . .photos are okay for a laser. the best part is the hassle-free environment that this printer gives us -- other like HP and Brother get junked after a few years - the Xerox is professional grade. However, watch it -- if the ink runs low and you don't replace it - the entire machine stops working until the ink is replaced. this includes the scanner and fax - they don't work during this time. They force you to buy the ink -- you can't run it down until it is almost out. but overall we are very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Product Discontinued as of Feb 1, 2011 - Epitaph of a Printer, February 10, 2011
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
I had the privilege to see one of these babies in action recently. It was pretty impressive for a home office MFP. By the time I got around to ordering one of them (Feb 1) they had been discontinued but no one bothered to tell anyone until they were backordered at every site on the web.
Just got a call from CDW today saying that Xerox will replace it with a 5505 or 5905 something like that in a couple of months, but "they'd love to sell me a $1000 printer today". No thanks.
I can tell you I won't be the first to buy the replacement either, because color lasers, especially, vary so much from one model to the next, as you well know.
I'll just have to wait for reviews on the replacement or look into something else later. Its so suprising that this printer gets 5 stars all over the web and the next best competitor (a Lexmark with similar components I think) gets only 3.5. In my mind, that is a big difference, especially when you read reviews for other printers and the basic complaints people have about them that are just non-issues with this machine. (I hate paper jams for instance)
I suppose I'll have to take my old Xerox monochrome to the shop while I wait to find something that is as good as the 8126. The monochrome Workcenter had maybe 5 paper jams over 10 years. Gotta love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Printer!, November 27, 2010
Excellent printer/scanner!
I would recommend it to anybody. I have had this printer for almost 2 years and it runs as smoothly and nicely as in the first day. Kudos to Xerox for this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the serious home-based business, February 17, 2011
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
Having gone through HP, Lexmark, and Canon inkjet multi-function printers, it was time for a serious device and this is a great blend of features - and easy to use. Ink jet-based devices are sold on low price, but the cost of ink cartridges and their low volume (frequent change-out) costs you. Laser toner is a better way to go and there are vendors who you can buy replacement cartridges for 1/3 or less of the Xerox listed price which makes them cheaper than ink jet cartridges.
Feature set of the Phaser is good - I can't think of anything missing. Easy setup on the home network, wireless access works perfectly. Good software to support scanning, file and image handling. Print quality is excellent. Speed of all copy, print and fax functions is quite good. Nice sleep/warmup feature. Easy address book editor for programming the speed dial fax numbers from your PC. No paper jams in print or multi-page fax and copy. The footprint is small, but it is tall unit. Though that makes it easy to stand and press the controls or dial the fax numbers.
Do yourself a favor, ditch the old ink-jet multi and get the Xerox phaser. It is better in all regards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
This was my first color laser printer, and it has been a great printer so far. The quality, print speed, and scanning ability have all exceeded my expectations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performer but..., April 14, 2011
This review is from: Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer (Personal Computers)
the Xerox brand toners are way overpriced.

I love this machine. After countless printers, scanners and multi-function machines I finally found something that really works, again and again. Printing, scanning, faxing - it does it all very well. The one I bought has Nuance Paperport bundle with it. Another excellent product. Between the two, you can't beat it.

One caveat - buy generic toners! They work just as well and cost a fraction of Xerox toners.

Phaser 6128N Multifunction Printer