Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: XML in easy steps
 Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 28, 2014
…but today is not that day.

Most of my higher end software dated back to about 2003 until a few months ago when I systematically started upgrading everything. As I was learning the new ways of doing things, I repeatedly saw references to “XML” and wanted to learn more. Thus the title of this book seemed the perfect solution. It was not.

I have completed the book from cover to cover and am almost as clueless now as when I began. I know a bit more about XML and a small bit of that knowledge comes from the book but most comes from picking it up through context in other places. That is a shame since this seems like a good book. It is just mis-titled.

The author is thorough and clear in his presentation. The text is large and easy to read. The book is generously provided with illustrations. The problem is that it assumes you are already familiar with the uses of XML. I am not.

I plan on holding on to this book because I feel it may come in handy someday when I do learn something about XML. The explanations for the “grammar and syntax” are excellent and form the basis for most of the book. Before that will come in handy, though, it would be nice to learn what exactly all those other applications of mine are doing with XML so I can see if it will even be useful.
on January 27, 2009
I love the "In Easy Steps" series. The books are great introductions and make great reference manuals when you finish with them. With all of the coming changes for web pages and other applications that will utilize XML, I purchased the book. The book does a good job of explaining why XML is more flexible than HTML and its creation of custom tags, but I couldn't figure out what to do with XML once I finished the book. I understood the rules and implementation into a web page but no explanation was evident for other application use. (Office 2007 and SWF files) Basically, I couldn't justify changing all of my web pages when XHTML and CSS get the job done. Like I said earlier, I plan on using this book as a reference.
on January 22, 2014
The book is not congested with unnecessary verbiage. It's pretty straight to the point. I like that you can practice as you read along. I've been using notebook++ as a coding platform, and I have no complaints. Pick it up!
on March 31, 2013
most helpful for my sons college courses, had previosly used other books from the same author so he knew it would be useful
on July 5, 2015
I bought it years ago, but only got around to reading it two months ago.

Very useful book. Clear and concise.
on July 15, 2015
Perfect read for the subject!
on April 2, 2014