Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 27, 2009
Truth be told, I do not work as a Web developer, but on a daily basis my job has me in contact with business clients and Web application developers. My clients require robust Web applications, my developers make it happen. Because of legacy data issues, shared disparate databases, and the need for them to handshake; XML Web services have become a standard solution in many commercial Web solutions. Though I am somewhat familiar with the basics of XML I wanted to go deeper to better myself and better my knowledge in client/tech conversations. What I did not want to do is to go so deep as to read a monster 1000+ page tome that would require weeks of book study, application and befuddlement.

Instead, Mr. Goldberg's book provided me a concise break down the structure of XML markup language in a detailed/digestible enough manner to keep me engaged and participatory. Each chapter cleverly builds on previous topics, so as to provide a pyramid learning approach. This enabled me to go deeper than before into the more arcane areas of the language (XPath patterns, functions, expressions, XSL-FO, DTD's, schemas, etc.) so it could be more easily understood.

If you are new to XML, curious, or need enough to know to be dangerous in your job, then this book is for you. BTW, I highly recommend that you download his chapter samples so as to follow along and to tinker with. I read the entire book in a weekend and returned to work on Monday loaded for bear. Now I keep it at my desk for easy reference.
on December 28, 2008
XML: Visual QuickStart Guide (2nd Edition)

I highly recommend this book for anyone wanting to learn the basics of XML.

I have about an intermediate level of HTML acumen and wanted a book that would cover enough of the rudiments to get a good grasp of the subject. It does that, as well as cover a myriad of related apps such as XPath, XSLT, and XQuery.

I also really appreciated the comprehensible instructions, visual examples, recommended tools, and the applications that give XML its currency in the real world.

All in all, an excellent source.
on March 19, 2012
This is a good book. I would highly recommend that you have some experience with HTML prior to reading it, I hadn't looked into HTML for a while (10 years) and so it was an extremely hypothetical reading. Had I caught up on my HTML first I am certain I would have got even more out of it.

In any case the examples are easy to follow, the author does a great job of breaking things down into nice digestible chunks. If you're looking to take your XML to the next level this is not the book for you, if you are however looking for a solid foundation to build from I would certainly recommend this book without hesitation.
on May 8, 2011
Exactly what I (an IT professional with over a decade of experience but minimal XML exposure) was looking for -- a reference to bring me up to speed quickly so that I could read & understand existing XML constructs and converse intelligently about them with colleagues.

The book provided what I needed to know, with limited errata and without fluff.

Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon April 19, 2009
XML (eXtensible Markup Language) has become the medium to move data in efficient and predictable ways. Derived from a similar markup language, SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language), XML is structured, but not as highly as SGML. Structure is what itís all about. The very loosely structured HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is also derived from SGML. Even the XML markup looks amazingly like HTML, except, as the author explains, HTML defines how information will look, while XML defines how the information is formatted.

Here is a portion of an XML file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<name>Guy</name>
<gender>Male</gender>
<age>48</age>
</my_siblings>\

If you analyze the code sample above, you should be able to see that there are three siblings defined. Each siblingís information is contained, or wrapped, between the <sibling> and </sibling> tags, and that the information on those three siblings is wrapped between the <my_siblings> and </my_siblings> tags. Taking this one step further, you can think of these sibling "chunks" as parts of a database: the content between the <sibling> and </sibling> tags would be defined as a record, while the <name></name>, <gender></gender>, and <age></age> tags define fields within a record. This content can then be transformed into content in a different format and reused in many different ways.

In XML, as in HTML, you can also see that each chunk of information is tagged with an opening and closing tag.

Why structure? With a standardized method of defining chunks of information, the information can be easily shared, re-used, translated, and manipulated in infinite ways, yet retain its integrity and its overall definition. XML, being an ASCII text format, is universalóit can be shared among multiple platforms without modification, save for some minor file system issues that are beyond the scope of this review.

One major use of XML is in content management systems (CMS), where it can be searched, selectively extracted, and assembled into larger documents that then can be transformed into final deliverables, such as a PDF file, Help files, or a set of HTML files. Sure, you could probably do this with plain text, but without the underlying required structure, it would be a lot harder, and would probably require a large amount of post-assembly editing before even attempting to create the deliverables.

Another popular use of XML is in Adobe Flash animations and programs. By building the text content in external files formatted as XML that the Flash file points to, dealing with localized (translated) content is an extremely simple matteróoften just changing the filename links in the main Flash file can transform an English language document into a Spanish, French, or whatever document in momentsóand by maintaining the master files in a database-driven content management system, you can translate content that might be used in multiple documents or even multiple times in the same document once and only once, which, I can assure you, results in huge cost savings.
Kevin Howard Goldberg has put together an excellent primer on the multifaceted alphabet soup that is XML. He updated the first edition of this book, originally authored by Elizabeth Castro, with Ms. Castroís assistance, adding information on some of the newer applications of XML: XSL-FO, XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.0, and XQuery 1.0.

The book is divided into the following sections, each of which builds on the previous chapter:

* XML ñ The basics of writing XML code, and the underlying structure.
* XSL ñ How to transform XML into multiple deliverables (HTML, XML, etc.). It also covers XSLT, XPath, and XSL-FO. XSL-FO is most widely used to transform XML files into PDF deliverables.
* DTD ñ Document Type Definition. DTDs are the underlying glue that holds the XML together. How? By defining and detailing the rules under which valid XML files function. Separate sections discuss entities and notations, as well as validations (ensuring the XML file follows the rules defined in the DTD).
* XML Schema ñ Developed to overcome some of the shortcomings of DTDs, the XML Schema is a more powerful document, designed to give the author even more control over how the XML content is structured and defined.
* XML Namespaces ñ A method of combining XML from multiple sources, even if there are identical element names. XML Namespaces provides a method to merge the content while retaining the definitions of each independent element (I hope I got that rightÖ).
* Recent W3C (World Wide Web Committee) Recommendations ñ Discusses some of the newest enhancements to the XML specifications including XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.0, and XQuery 1.0.
* XML in Practice ñ Applications of XML, especially in Web 2.0 usage. Topics and examples include Ajax, RSS, SOAP, WSDL, KML, ODF, OOXML, eBooks, ePub, and more. I told you it was an alphabet soup!
* Appendices ñ Discusses XML editors and tools. Full character set and entity tables.

This book is a great introduction to XML. Itís loaded with sample code and examples to get you started. Itís well illustrated and makes great use of color. Peachpit Press also offers a companion website with sample code, updates, etc.

XML is not for the faint-of-heart. There are just so many pieces that comprise the XML specification; it can be confusing, even with this Visual Quickstart Guide. The only thing I didnít see in this book, and most likely because of its inherent specialization is the DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture) specification. DITA is a highly specialized topic-based XML-based markup language, mainly used for creating instructional materials (user documentation, educational texts, and so on). I recommend this book highly.

MyMac Magazine rating of 4.5 out of 5
[...]
on April 16, 2009
"Learn XML the Quick and Easy Way" is an excellent comprehensive overview of the XML vocabulary and surrounding technologies. It is simple enough to be easily understood by non-technical and novice readers, and powerful enough to prepare them to get started using XML right away." -- Elizabeth Andrews, Technical Marketing Manager, Altova, Inc.
on July 23, 2014
I don't always review older books but I want whoever reads this to know the book is still relevant and useful in 2014. The book covers XSLT v1.0 and XPath v1.0 but also has chapters at the end of the book that cover XSLT v2.0 and XPath v2.0. This book introduces the reader to XML, XSLT, XPath, and XQuery but does not provide advanced, in-depth coverage. The text is easy to follow and will have you writing XML immediately. The two-column format and the color coded figures made for an enjoyable reading experience. The author maintains a nice website for his book where you can download the book's examples, view the errata, and contact the author.

I see some reviewers deducted a star because the book is a bit dated. I did not because 1) the book has chapters at the end that cover the newer versions and 2) the 2008 publication date is clearly display by Amazon. It wasn't out dated when the author wrote it and I can't justify giving a lower rating based on the fact that I made the decision to purchase the book 5 years later.
This short 250 page book will quickly teach you the basics. If this book leaves you wanting more in-depth coverage, I recommend these two authoritative books:

>> Definitive XML Schema (2nd Edition) by Priscilla Walmsley
>> XSLT 2.0 and XPath 2.0 (4th Edition) by Michael Kay
VINE VOICEon October 27, 2015
This book is a quick overview of XML and related topics. It covers XML basics, DTD, XML Schemas, XSL/XSLT, XPath, XSL-FO, more recent versions (XSLT 2.0/XQuery 1.0/etc), as well as XML based technologies such as Ajax, RSS, SOAP, WSDL, ODF, etc. It does not go into any of the topics in depth and it does not provide sufficient examples for learning and exploring. The way I see it the book is an overview, not a self instruction book.

I have some experience with XML but not from Web Development. The contexts where I’ve come across XML are databases, communication, and data storage related to images. However, I felt that I needed to get more familiar with XML in a broader context. This book served its purpose and it was fairly easy to read and very well organized. My only complaint was that it was perhaps a little bit too concise. I read it in conjunction with a self instruction book (Student’s Guide to XSLT), which gave you more hands on experience.
on May 17, 2013
XLM Visual Quickstart Guide is everything that the other reviewers have said. I used in a college introductory course, and students did very well. There is one caveat that nobody has mentioned; all the code samples are written in tiny, light, pastel-colored type face on semigloss paper--pink, sky-blue, peach, chartreuse, and teal. Some code samples are almost impossible to read. Fortunately, all the code samples are available on line in clear, large print for download. If you purchase this book, you will most likely have to download the code samples.
on July 23, 2010
This second edition of the XML Visual Quickstart provides many great examples of XML documents, schemas, XSL and XPath, and other important topics that you need to understand the big picture of XML in use. It is a great overview of XML in context of it's related standards in the overall the XML process. Since it covers a lot of ground, it does not go very deep into any standard or topic, rather it provides just enough to help the reader understand each topic and how it relates to the other topics. A good overview of the XML landscape, but deep enough to be useful to developers to begin using XML as well as non-technical folks wanting to get an understanding of how XML works. The topics are organized very much like a tutorial, building on each other and explaining some fairly complex ideas quickly and simply. An effective way to learn the ropes.