4.0 out of 5 stars Works almost flawlessly.
This stereo completely fills my needs to replace the basic and standard factory stereo (On a Mazda Protege DX 99'). If it's the first time you're trying to replace your old car stereo, this is a great choice.

What I like about this Stereo:

- Great value for your money, definitely a worthy upgrade of your old factory stereo.
- A very nice set of...
Published 24 months ago by Luis Salguero

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent MP3 player, some downsides
A passable stereo for the money. It plays MP3s off of SD and USB pretty well, if you don't mind that it cuts off the first half-second of each file (which is pretty jarring if your MP3s don't have a lot of silence at the beginning).

Published 18 months ago by RC

4.0 out of 5 stars Works almost flawlessly., November 3, 2012
Luis Salguero "Luis S." (Guatemala city, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: XO Vision XD103 FM and MP3 Stereo Receiver with USB Port and SD Card Slot (Electronics)

What I like about this Stereo:

- A very nice set of options and adjustments for the quality of the sound (Bass, Treble, Fade, Balance, EQ).
- Did not alter the quality of the sound of my car. Big thumbs up!
- Easy to install if you have the correct tools.
- Easy to use. It's not a complicated User Interface.

What I think it should be different but does not bother me much:

- It will not allow you to see the clock during your commute for longer than 10 seconds, it will switch back to either the station or the song's name (if you're USB, AUX or MMC), it should allow you to see the clock or the music information to your choice.
- It won't display the names of the songs completely, it has a character limit.
- Hard plastic makes it feel cheap, but it certainly does not look cheap at all.
- Screen should be brighter during sunlight, you can barely see the information if it's a very sunny day. It looks gorgeous at night though.
- It will read the music via USB/AUX/MMC based on how they are ordered in the card or device.

What I dislike about it:
- After a proper installation, every time I accelerate with the car, it makes a whistling noise. I was not paying much attention to it at the beginning, but now it's starting to be very annoying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent MP3 player, some downsides, April 23, 2013

It at least saves your position, playback continues where you left off, automatically. The controls it has are as good as you could expect for a simple car stereo (about the same as a good CD player) but no comparison to the full-featured in-dash screens with scroll wheels and an array of on-screen options. Fast forward and rewind are responsive, and work as they should, as does jump forward/back, skip +10/-10 songs, random play, etc., which isn't always the case for cheap MP3 players. There was clearly some thought put into user-friendly operation. When the SD or USB card isn't inserted, it will skip over those options as you change the "mode". And when you plug-in an SD or USB drive, it automatically opens it and starts playing. And it's never been unresponsive to input... All the buttons work quickly, no matter what mode you're in, or what the player is doing.

The (amplifier) sound quality isn't impressive, but for this price, it's probably only slightly worse than you'd expect... Better than cheap amplified computer speakers, and good enough not to matter in a fairly noisy car. But you'll notice your music just doesn't sound right. Particularly with AUX input, you should expect substantial noise and distortion, but while you're moving, the road noise partially masks it.

I'm not bothered by the LCD brightness... It's not very bright, but it's visible, even in sunlight, while viewed through sunglasses. Yeah, the clock won't stay up there for long, but hitting the button works fine, and automatically switching back to the song/station info is more user-friendly, and definitely the way I prefer it to work. The LCD EQ even looks nice.

FM reception isn't very good. Only the booming local stations are coming through well enough to listen to. Any station that doesn't overload a decent radio is hard to hear on this thing, behind a wall of static, or just fading in and out enough that it's unlistenable. I've tried swapping antenna connectors and such without any luck. Since others have complained about reception as well, I don't believe it's just me. I found the Local/DX option, but toggling it does NOTHING, but I leave it set on DX. The scan up/down is very sensitive, and AMS does its job, auto-programming all the available stations to the preset buttons, but that's cold comfort with such poor FM radio reception. If you want a radio, none of these cheap no-name units does the job. You're just going to have to spend twice as much for a name-brand car stereo (JVC/Pioneer/etc.).

But my biggest complaint is that the USB port is useless for charging a phone... It was GREAT having a USB cord dangling from my dash, ready to go all the time... not having to hassle with $2 cigarette lighter chargers constantly. That is, until I noticed my phone wasn't charging at all. This stereo is putting out a steady 5V on the USB port, but as such a low current that my phone gets drained, rather than charging at all. This while the charging light is on, fooling you into thinking it's doing something. Since even a $2 cigarette lighter adapter can do a decent job of charging, and this $30 stereo can't, this is pretty inexcusable, and a huge missed opportunity, which could and should have been a killer feature.

It works well enough as an MP3 player that I'm not going to send it back, even as disappointed as I am with the AUX input sound quality, zero-power USB port, and the terrible radio reception. I wish I could find a name brand car stereo that does just radio/USB/SD/aux like this one, but with better quality, without costing 3x as much as I paid for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars XO Vision XD103, March 25, 2013
I was a bit skeptical about making this purchase. I own a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with a soft top and on a normal day it can be difficult to listen to music because of the outside noise. For starters, I had this stereo receiver professionally installed. I was advised to purchase a harness and an in-dash installation kit for the Jeep. I found this stuff at Best Buy and their techs explained why I needed the stuff. I just picked up my Jeep and the stereo looks great. I wanted to test out the USB port because I would like to travel without my MP3 player and it worked amazingly great; I liked the shuffle/random play. There is only one file on the USB device so I am not sure if I can select different folders or not, I will test that later. The sound was a bit off, at first, and I played around with the bass and treble to get the rich sound that I prefer. The stereo is equipped with an equalizer but I kept mine on Flat and made the settings to suit my liking. I drove the Jeep on a highway at 65 and having a soft top means it would be near impossible to listen to music, nicely.... I had that problem with the manufactured stereo that came with the Jeep. I had to turn the stereo up to 27 and the sound came through loud, clear and very rich deep tones. I am not sure how high the volume can go but before purchasing this stereo I had to keep the volume turned up so 27 seems reasonable on highway and in regular city I only had to have it set between 15-20 - I think this was the best $25 spent and even with the additional money spent - harness, in-dash installation kit and professional installation it still cost less than $150.00. I would recommend this stereo to anyone who is looking for something inexpensive with a very rich sound. Someone who has no need for a CD player and AM radio and is willing to make a little investment into making it perfect for their vehicle.

******Update:
I have now used the SD Card slot and I have set the clock to the correct time. SD Card slot is awesome, I like the shuffle and random play. Depending on how many files you store in the SD card can make the difference if you are looking for a specific song. You can scroll through the files but that can be time consuming. My advice, keep it simple I sort my music by genre and only place favorites on the SD card. The sound is great and the best part is I can keep the card in the slot, no cords or USB devices sticking out from my dash - very clean look.

I set the clock to the correct time. It's not as bright as the other stuff but if you press clock while listening to music it shows the time at the same brightness as the other information being displayed and after a few seconds it goes away and the scroll of music information continues.

I still love this receiver, I have no complaints.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest informative review - Good bang for your buck, December 27, 2013
While it does have weaknesses, if you take into account the extremely low price and take it for what it is, you really can't be disappointed.

I don't mean to sound snobbish but I wish those whom are not technically inclined would limit the information they provide to that which falls within their scope of knowledge. That would reduce the amount of misinformation being introduced, then regurgitated all over the internet.

Let me address some of the complaints I have seen about this unit .

1. Complaints about the units light weight or those whom have opened it, mentioning the lack of components inside. To that I say, that is how all car stereos would look inside if you removed the CD mechanism. All CD head units are based on single chip amplifiers that are not complex. This is also entirely DC so you aren't going to see transformers in there like you would a home stereo. What you see inside is entirely what you should expect to see.

2. Complaints about engine noise which can be a problem for any car stereo and can easily be resolved. In my case, it simply meant grounding the units chassis.

3. Complaints about the USB port. It is a data port (downstream) and is thus limited to 500-900ma (2.5-4.5w for you Apple people). This is not exclusive to this unit, this applies to ALL USB ports that transfer data. That said, complain to Apple about making devices that require more power than the USB standard used worldwide. Alternately, you can get a Y adapter that uses one for data and the other for power. Best solution, charge via cigarette lighter adapter and audio via stereo mini to stereo mini cable. The problem is not this stereo.

4. Complaints about sound quality and/or power output. Car stereo internal amplifiers are not supposed to be used for any kind of quality listening. The XO and all head units internal amplifiers are "get by" solutions. Some may be better than others but none are considered "good" by anyone whom knows much about car audio. The XO is conservatively rated at 20w but most people have no idea what that means beyond marketing hype. Do you know it takes 10x the power to double the perceived volume? You also have to factor in the speaker efficiency. A "200w" rated car stereo is not going to be a vast improvement as it still uses the same single chip, low efficiency, high distortion design. If you want quality sound, add an external dedicated amplifier and this is true for ANY car stereo.

So, those are four primary negatives which should not be considered when making a decision about this unit as they are not exclusive to this unit.

The above said, here is my reasonable review of the XO based on reasonable expectations and with over 20 years of car audio knowledge.

My review is based on installing it in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the stock (4) 5.25" speakers. The XO replaced the stock Jeep/Chrysler am/fm/tape deck.

Pros:

Super cheap. If you are just looking for something basic to playback MP3s, look no further.
Provides sound quality and volume output on par or slightly better than the stock radio (non premium model). It is capable of volumes exceeding comfortable listening.
Provides all the modes I would ever use, USB, SD, AUX and FM
Looks pretty nice in the dash, not too plain and not too flashy.
Shallow depth and light weight prevent it from moving around even when a rear support is not used.

Cons:

My unit when wired correctly, had the fader and balance mixed up so stereo separation was front to back instead of side to side. Easily resolved.
Radio reception is hit or miss and baffling actually as it tunes known weak stations in well while struggling with known strong ones.
Volume knob does not protrude enough to get a solid grip and looks pretty cheap, I machined a new one from aluminum.
Required a ground be connected to it's chassis (rear) in order to eliminate alternator whine.
SD MP3 navigation is very basic, random play needs to be set each time the car is started.

Overall for a basic replacement for a stock radio it is really a no brainer. The features for the price are great and most if not all shortcomings can be resolved with a little know how and/or ingenuity.

Notes about compatibility: This is a standard single din unit. It will fit nearly every car with the correct dash kit and wiring harness. To purchase or get an idea of what you need simply go to eBay and search "(your cars year and model) din kit" and "(your cars year and model) stereo harness". These are cheap, generally sub 10.00 components and are easy to work with.

Notes about theft: This does not have a removable faceplate but almost looks stock and is not likely to be targeted by thieves. Most are after in dash DVD/Navigation these days anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars XO Vision XD103, July 10, 2012
I purchased the XO Vision XD103 to replace the radio in my Jeep CJ7. I chose this radio due to its small profile which is necessary for a CJ7 replacement. The depth of the radio is about half that of others making it ideal for a CJ7. After having problems with another low priced radio I took a chance on this one. I'm glad I did. This radio was simple to hook up, had all the necessary parts and so far has worked great. By no means is this a top of the line radio but it does it's job well at a low price. If you have a vehicle with a very small space to accommodate a radio such as a CJ7 and don't need a super fancy sound system, this is a great option.

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, June 16, 2013
It's more than perfect for the price! It sounds awesome but could use a little louder volume. But it's honestly great don't get me wrong. I love how it glows at nite I've not fully tested it out but ill update my reveiw later

1.0 out of 5 stars DISSAPOINTED :(, July 7, 2013
I have a 96 honda civic with no radio. I was looking for something cheap, but also nice looking and this was perfect! It arrived on time and it came in good condition. Once it was time to hook it up it didn't work! I though maybe it was my car so we tried it on my dads truck and the stereo did not turn on at all either. We even tried to see if it would turn on with the car batteries but no luck! I don't think its something we did wrong because my dad always installs his own radios and they work perfectly. I didn't expect much because of the price but for it to not even have turn on was a waste of my money. I am very dissapointed because I read all the reviews and everyone seems to love it, but i guess I just have bad luck.. now I'm stuck with a radio that doesn't even work :(

4.0 out of 5 stars For 25 bucks its pretty good., April 22, 2014
The only downside is there is no engine noise filter. Meaning you'll hear a light ringing noise through the speakers, but not noticble when music is playng

5.0 out of 5 stars ***updated review***, December 15, 2012
Read reviews before purchasing, back light is awesome, not too bright at night. Looks like bluetooth is plugged in to me. Seems like a deterrent for theievs b/c the power button has a small amount of power on it. Not enough to drain your car battery. Works awesome with the 3.5mm jack, some buzzing sounds when plugged in but really low. changed cords and problem solved. Takes a while to load files from SD card, but may be b/c files arent in order, just in multiple file folders. Overal really good product exactly what I was looking for. Even usb is awesome if you want to plug in a dongle...I have like 30gb of music plugged in and can listen to my hearts content on long drives.

****UPDATED PORTION OF REVIEW*******

reading previous reviews regarding the backlight, I have had this product for almost 2months and the backlight hasnt gone out or device malfunctioned of any kind. The light is a soft blue, looks like a bluetooth indicator light and perfect for driving at night, looks sleek and non obtrusive to other cars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Cheap radio., June 11, 2013
I thought I was in real trouble when my radio started going out, and I thought this would be just a temporary fix until I can afford a real one...I was wrong. The box is almost hollow so when it came time to drill mounting screw holes, I just opened it up to protect the pc boards from metal shavings. It mounted like the OEM radio. It has as much or more power than the stock radio in my Jeep, and does everything I need in a radio. CD players in Jeeps are just silly because they skip a lot. MP3 players in the AUX input is the way to go. I was surprised to find one without an AM radio but why not cut out everything you don't use anyway? And for the price, I won't be devastated if it breaks or gets stolen.