5.0 out of 5 stars Can't beat it for the money!
I must start with saying that this is my second XP4050 in one month, the first suffering from two problems. One problem was the same that others have mentioned here, when water stops coming out of the filter head and instead just dumps into the drip tray from an apparent overflow-type valve in the bottom of the machine. This only happened once, corrected itself, and...
Published on August 20, 2006 by B. Bundy

1.0 out of 5 stars My second, perhaps last Krups
Last month I decided to replace my aging, 6-year old Krups espresso machine. It had provided great service but, thanks to a less-than-rigorous regimen of descaling over the years, was getting long in the tooth. Its pumping action was weakening, and the steamer would occasionally get rambunctious. I was happy with Krups, so I replaced it with another, the XP 4050. Bad...
Published on December 9, 2006 by Thomas P. Morales

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, February 24, 2007
This review is from: Krups XP4050 1200-Watt 15-Bar-Pump Programmable Espresso Machine (Kitchen)
I have returned this item TWICE. Their tray is not pulling out, so you have to -suck- out the water from it. It doesn't hold all types of coffee, sometimes I had water coming out from the sides, or straight into tray. And I suspect that the pressure is not sustainable because I'm getting different results - sometimes coffee is good, sometimes you just can't drink this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Krups XP4050 Espresso Machine is the ultimate, November 3, 2006
KT (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
My husband and I purchased this machine a few months ago after going through not one, not two, but THREE espresso machines in the last 18 months. We prefer lattes to cups o' joe and found ourselves making espresso every day - often several times a day. But those little steam machines are just not made for such rigorous use. We're very happy with the Krups pump espresso machine. Very reliable. Well-made. Sturdy. Not too big. It only makes enough espresso for one latte at a time but takes just 30-45 seconds to do it. So making several cups is still a breeze.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent espresso Initially, January 6, 2009
Kathy Now (Milwaukee WI) - See all my reviews
Overall I'm satisfied with this product. I had a coupon so I got it for a good price. The machine recently clogged up on me, I use it daily. However they give you a little device to help with this also they recommend regular descalings, which I haven't done yet. I had a really basic Krups before that worked fine but I thought a upgrade would be nice. The machine is also quite noisy when making coffee, that surprised me. I hope it lasts as long as my last machine 15 years.

I am updating this review. I bought this product based on consumer reports recommending it. However I just read the reviews written by others and I'm also having the same problems of the coffee not flowing. I'm sending it back today after talking to the customer service person who was very nice. I have a feeling I'll be attempting to return it because the 2nd one probably won't work either. It did initially make great espresso.

1.0 out of 5 stars P.U., June 25, 2014
It did not work and the supplier told me to dispose of it. So I did, it was a waste of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The problem may be located between the coffee can and the machine., April 2, 2014
John S. Socha (Spring Grove, MN, US) - See all my reviews
Thank you for reading this! I am coming late to this party as I recently acquired one of these espresso machines, used, as it is my custom whenever possible! This time the unit was $39.00.

Had I read some bad reviews about it before buying I might have changed my mind. But, in the end, I am satisfied with my purchase.

If you're also reading reviews it is possible that you to have purchased a used one. Let me address some of the one star comments, as there may be some operator error involved.

First, it is perfectly possible that a bad batch of espresso machines made it to the public. This, however, does not mean that every product made by the manufacturer is no good. It also does not mean that every espresso machine with the same model number is no good.

Second, I notice that quite a few of the one star comments are from people who admit they don't know much about making espresso. This may explain several concerns.

One of them is alarm over water filling the lower tray. It is supposed to fill the lower tray by design! In the realm of pump driven espresso makers there appears to be two different kinds: one type recycles unused water back into the tank and others send the excess water to a holding tray. I hear the latter is the preferred version by most professionals, as they do not want to use reheated flat water. Whether or not excess water was sent to the tray due to mechanical defect or calcium buildup is something I cannot answer. All I can say is that my machine only dumps water in the tray in small quantities at the end of a cycle.

Another complaint is that the lights begin blinking for no reason. On my machine they only begin blinking when the water level is dangerously low. This leads to the third complaint from new users that the unit will not pump water. The pumps on espresso machines needed to be primed when the tank is initially filled and sometimes when it is allowed to run dry. This is done by turning on the pump mechanism and the steaming valve at the same time. If you have blinking lights and no water, your tank is dry. If still no water after refilling, try priming it. This is true of ALL pump machines.

I cannot address broken portafilter handles or trays that cannot be pulled out. Very odd.

Another complaint involved water escaping from around the portafilter assembly. This is caused by wear or damage on the rubberized gasket. In the case of the unit I bought, water gushed out around the filter assembly because a small notch had been somehow abraded or torn. I was able to find a replacement for less than $3.00 here. Other parts suppliers charge $7.99. This solved the problem, but it is not a bad idea to purchase more than one gasket for future repair.

Now some quirks. When I first turn on the machine it ejects a small amount of water. I'm not sure why, but perhaps it is to clear out some stale water. When I select my espresso size the unit pumps a small amount of water, pauses briefly, and proceeds to pump the rest. I cannot say if this is the actual reason, but it appears to be saturating the grounds to add a bit more back pressure so that more crema will be formed.

As with any other of the unit, it is important to remove calcium buildup from the internal pumping mechanism. Vinegar may be sufficient, but there are other commercial preparations that may be a better choice

Finally, this unit is designed to dispense for a particular amount of time depending on the size selected. I find it to slightly over fill my standard espresso cups.

Another thing to keep in mind when reading about any espresso machine is the wide variety of espresso available and how the quality of the beans and the accuracy of the grind will affect the final product. Two reviewers using different beans and different grinders may have totally different final results regarding crema, taste and overall satisfaction.

Because I live in an area where high quality espresso is not always available, I often use a brand of pre-ground espresso from Florida called Cafe Bustelo. It is sold in grocery stores for about $4.00 for a 10 ounce can. I'm sure this fact is making true baristas tear out their hair in frustration! But by using the same coffee in a variety of espresso machines I'm able to arrive in a more scientifically correct conclusion. Even with this cheap coffee, this unit provides a decent cup.

So there you have it. Good luck finding one at your nearest garage sale! And, by the way, for you true espresso connoisseurs, I also own the legendary La Pavoni, which I also found for $40.00. It's a fussy machine to use, so in the mornings I prefer a pump maker like this to get me started for the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good looking machine, February 6, 2014
It is nice looking and space save size
Price is reasonable
Good working
I like it !
Thank you for providing such nice one

2.0 out of 5 stars okay if you have 2 and an extended warranty..., September 20, 2013
i purchased one of these and was concerned about the bad reviews so i bought the square trade warranty with it because it provides free shipping. so just as many other noted, the machine stopped working after 3 months, about 180 uses - it would no longer make espresso due to an internal gasket and thermal malfunction and just leaked water out the top and into the drip tray, i was worried about it shorting out as i could hear and see steam coming out of the unit top. the square trade warranty person knew exactly what was wrong, like they were so familiar with it, and said it was not worth fixing and gave me a full refund.

when it did work, it made perfect espresso every time and the steam function for froth was excellent. the problems are probably from the manufacturing process where they simply make them to fast, before the plastic even cures or the gaskets can set.

if you get one, get the extra warranty. it is fine as a second machine as the odds are you will need to have it serviced and that will take a few weeks at least. i had previous krups machines and they lasted for at least 3 years, one still works after 10 years and is so worn it barely makes a seal.. but still works.. lol...

very disappointed and will not get another due to the reviews on in coming true per my experience. going to try the manual one or an vintage pull type. i am over the automatic ones... it is nice to not have to worry about making too much, but at the same time it only takes 30 seconds to make a double and you still have to attend to it before it gets colds.. so automatic... meh... just more to go wrong..

2.0 out of 5 stars Bubble froth, March 14, 2013
It does not froth very well, more like bubbles. I had one of these before, now I remember why I didn't like it. After a while the frother will pop off and blow milk all over. The programming works nicely. My last machine would not allow you to program over 4 oz.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to use but can't complain., July 10, 2010
I have been using this machine for over a year now, and I am quite happy with it. However, I do not disagree with many of the negative reviews, it has many flaws.
First the good points. So far it works as the first day (after a year). It makes really good espresso, decent crema, nice flavour, frother is O.K. In a nutshell, it works.
Now the bad points. My first big complaint is the portafilter, is very weak and if not handled with extreme caution, it will break; the handle is plastic but the real problem is the plastic inside the portafilter, it breaks and then leaks from places is not supposed to. Is not exactly easy to clean and requires a lot of cleaning, but no big problem here. Wastes too much water, I don't know why.
Before my first good cup of espresso I had to do a lot of experimentation. Finely grounded coffee like the ones used in commercial machines will clog this one, you have to try several batches before finding the one that fits best. You can't tamp your coffee as hard as the ones used in commercial machines, you will break the portafilter first.
Overall, far from being an automatic machine, it has a long learning curve, but it does the job. If you use E.S.E. pods it will be a lot easier to use and more "automatic".

3.0 out of 5 stars Krups needs a better manual, July 1, 2010
I bought this machine 13 months ago on a recommendation from a local restaurant supply company. Here are my comments:

1. Makes a decent cup.
2. Froth first, brew second. It takes forever for the pump to prime after which, the brew will be cold.
2. The automatic frother is useless.
3. The wand is weak!! Blows bubbles. Takes forever.
4. The machine is plastic. All plastic. It stinks of plastic for the first month. It feels cheap because it is cheap.
5. The handle is cheap and cracked after 5 months.
6. I religiously cleaned and maintained this machine and its performance decreased daily.
7. Finally died on the 13 month anniversary. UPDATE: The cleaning product I used was a professional (expensive) cleaning agent. I decided to run pure vinegar through it as a last ditch effort. It now works beautifully. We will see how long that lasts!! I am looking to replace this one with something solid and well built.
8. There is nothing in the manual about what the different error messages mean. Krups should provide better documentation.

Rate and Discover Movies