Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 21, 2013
I spent the last 2 months comparing elipticals. I finally decided on the Xterra for 3 reasons: 1, The price was good and included shipping, which for a piece of exercise equiment over 100 pounds could have been substantial. 2, I liked the way resistance was controlled, by the program you select on the console, & that it can be manually controlled if desired. I did not want a twist the knob to make it harder, loosen the knob to make it easier machine. 3, The warranty & small footprint 2ft X 4.5ft.

It arrived 8 days after I ordered it by motor freight, not UPS or FEDEX, box was large but not huge. Be prepared: have a box cutter, you will need it, as well as other tools I'll describe. The main flywheel comes intact, all the assembly you do is the handles, the foot-boards, & the console. They do include a small 19mm wrench and small allen-head-phillips head tool, (like the other reviewer found, these are barely useful) if you have or can borrow, a 19mm end wrench or socket, a 5mm allen-wrench & a #2 phillips screwdriver, assembly will go much faster, and easier. Suggestion: a small can of silicone spray with a nozzle. When I saw heavy nylon bearings at the connection points I was tempted to go for grease but decided on silicone spray instead. I was concerned a petroleum product might effect the nylon. Another suggestion: assemble it where you will use it if possible, saves trying to get it through doors or up/down stairs. Assembly took me 2hrs. Pay attemtion to "R" on parts, as right & left look the same. Have someone with strong hands tighten the nuts down or squeaks will happen. The instruction manual is accurate but crowded with part numbers - better to match parts laid out to the picture.

I found it to be sturdy, and easy to level front/back - left/right and there are wheels on the rear feet but they only work on hard floors, not so well on carpet. The console does require 110V A/C outlet, and the manual did not say where the power plug went into the unit, its on the front at the bottom. No drink cup. Wear good workout shoes, no flip-flops.

I have used it for 2 workouts and have had no problems so far, I will update if something occurs. It is a substantial machine and will hold large people, I am over 6ft & 240lbs, and it feels solid when I use it, no wobble, or loose feel. The reason for 4 stars? The console that controls the resistance is needlessly complicated. I read it 3 times and can now select a pre set work-out & the time of that workout which is fine but the complicated programs seem more trouble than they are worth, at least to me, admittedly someone unfamiliar with gym exercise equipment. The console works as promised but I just want to do some cardio, not program a moon landing. Finally, the console does not light up, its LCD not LED, use it in a well lit location or its hard to see.

Assemble it correctly & tighten everything down and you will have a solid piece of equipment that will get your heart going and leave behind sore muscles the next day.

Update: 7 work-outs so-far. I did go back and retighten the main connection points, no issues, just something I do with any new heavy mechanical device as it wears in. Still solid and working fine.

Update 5/30/13 Minor "clunk" sound at right pivot point on right arm. Removed plastic cover and looked at bolt & plastic bearing, the plastic bearing had a split. Not a major issue but annoying none the less. Went online to the XTERRA web-site, and sent an email asking for a bearing. Next day at 8:30 am my phone rang. Service tech from XTERRA asking for the serial number of my elliptical, and said a new bearing was in the mail to me, no charge. I was impressed. 3 days later, I got a padded envelope with 2 new bearings and a rubber column gasket, that I did not need. Apparently these 3 parts are packaged together and if you order one you get them all.
Bearing installed easily, and clunk gone. My own weight may have split it.
33 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
This is a good elliptical for the money. But with a cheaper product, you take some risks. The monitor for cal, weights, progress tracking might as well not be there as it's nearly visible. If you plan on using the elliptical at night, you'll need a flashlight to see the screen. So no light on the display is a major downside.

As for the function of the elliptical, it has some good programs and the tension get pretty tough at higher levels. So for workout purposes, it took care of that. The biggest problem now is after having used it for about a year the structure of the elliptical has weakened almost to a point that it's impossible to use. When stepping the back end lifts up and each side of the back floor bar bangs against the floor. It's really annoying and I wish that their Xterra could solve this and fix it's current customers issues, but that doesn't seem to be happening after several attempts to contact. It's unfortunate, because it did work pretty good at first.

Also, I'm just 185 lbs, so I don't think I was stressing it too much due to my weight. The limit is listed as 250lbs.
on March 6, 2013
After a couple of months of shopping for an elliptical, I purchased the Xterra and have had it a couple of weeks. I like that it's not bulky (it fits perfectly in the corner of my bedroom in a 2 bedroom apartment), it's sturdy and there are several levels to pick from for your workout. You can't beat it for the price! It's not a cheap looking piece of equipment either.

My only complaints are that I wish the screen was brighter and that there was cup holder.

I would definitely recommend purchasing this elliptical. It's simple, easy to use, and you'll get a great workout.
on May 25, 2013
Be sure someone who is reasonably handy puts it together. Assembly is easy and straightforward unless you make a careless mistake, in which case the design makes it tougher than most products to go back and do it right. If you accidentally drop a bolt into the works; miss one of the parts while threading the wiring; or snap on the chassis cover prematurely, what should be an hour job will take three hours or more -- er, so I've heard. And don't even try to make sense of the convoluted operating instructions.

Even with all that, I didn't mind putting it together, and it perfectly meets my exercise needs. Since it WOULD have been easy to assemble had I been paying closer attention, I didn't take off any stars for that. Fits nicely along the wall in a guest bedroom without taking up an inordinate amount of space. At around 100 pounds, it is sturdy but not unwieldy. I hop on there, turn on a podcast, and zone out ...
on April 16, 2014
CPU is not very user friendly, the Electrical components don't always register correctly (i.e. distance, speed, calories burned), The screws don't hold well and it keeps coming loose after every time I run on the machine and when its loose it makes awesome noises and if kind of scary to use, it shouldn't need to be re-assembled before every use.
on April 26, 2013
Right size (small footprint), sturdy (supports my 240 lbs.) and quiet operation. Construction instructions are fairly pathetic, but common sense and a tad of know-how will get it done. Be advised that many of the bolts and washers that are listed in the parts count are already installed in the holes they belong in...don't waste your time looking for a missing bag of hardware like I did.
on March 24, 2014
I was very unsure whether it was a realistic dream to have an elliptical in small apartment. This does not take up much space, even in use. It is sleek and nice looking in my living room and I am so impressed with how nicely it looks. It was delivered two days before the estimated time, and it took my boyfriend an hour by himself assembling. We each used it once, and it works smoothly and quietly. It is a comfortable workout for a women of 5'3" and my boyfriend of 5'9" felt comfortable on it as well. What a great price and I am so pleased with my purchase!
on July 1, 2014
This machine looks great coming out of the package. All the parts are either in the packaging when unpacking or already on the elliptical. The directions are clear but you will find some parts hard to put together, but when it's finished it looks amazing!

Key: Use actual tools when putting together, don't use the ones they provide. You will get a better tight fit using actual tools :)

After I put it together I was able to use this machine for 10 minutes before it started to make a clunking sound on the right side. So I decided to take everything on the right side apart and retighten all the screws. Still a clunking sound. It's not the fly wheel, yes I have all the screws in, I'm not missing anything. I even had my husband tighten all the screws. I made sure everything was even. I did everything the directions said and there is still a clunking sound. It gets worse when I add tension to my workout and when I go faster. The sound especially gets worse when I use the handle bars that move with the swinging arms. It's terrible.

So I took the whole machine apart. I put it back together. Making sure to be careful. Still a clunking sound. It's so annoying. It actually makes the thing wobble. I do get a good work out, but after 10 minutes I feel like I'm going to break the thing. Plus the sound and feeling of the clunk just makes you want to stop. I'm going to try to return this.

By the way I am 5ft2in 145lbs. It says a 250lb limit. So I'm not sure whats wrong :( I am so disappointed!!!!!
on December 5, 2015
assembled easy, don't expect to find the hardware in little packets though. Got worried when I saw a bag with essentially 7-8 screws in it and instructions that counted into the tens easily. They were pre tapped into their home locations. it actually eased assembly once i knew where to find them. They went right back where they came from. the only real issue is the slop left in the arm pieces. They rattle badly when in use.screws are tight, just the nature of the design it seems. I fixed that by zip tying some leftover floor mat foam I had into the gaps. 1/2 should do the trick if you find the same issue. cut it to wrap around the exposed space and zip it in place.
on May 31, 2013
I purchased this elliptical on April 20th and so far, I don't have any real complaints. My husband put it together in under an hour- had no major difficulties reading the instructions and did not need additional tools. I love that it is compact and quiet- in the beginning, it would make a little noise while the pedals were in rotation, but it seems to have stopped. Because of it's low price, I had realistic expectations- I wasn't expecting a machine with fancy settings and what not. Just wanted a simple machine to lose some extra pounds and overall improve my health without spending thousands. So far, I am very happy with my purchase and it gives me great work outs.