5.0 out of 5 stars This rocks! Emergency power on the go!
This powerpack pretty much works as advertised. The coolest thing is the builtin 400 Watt inverter which allows you plug in almost any AC powered device. Great for emergency power or just portable camping power! Unit charges quickly using the supplied DC adapter or in about a day using the supplied AC adapter.

The only drawback is that the builtin air...
Published on March 20, 2005 by Sportynyc

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for tire inflation
It takes about 2-3 minutes to inflate a 44psi max 15" low profile tire on a '91 Acura legend.

While inflating the fourth tire, the compressor failed.

Total run time was under 10minutes and I let the unit rest 2-4 minutes between tire inflations.

I have not tried the other functions.
Published on November 15, 2005 by T. Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars This rocks! Emergency power on the go!, March 20, 2005
Sportynyc "sportynyc" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xantrex XPower Powerpack 400 Plus Portable Backup Power Source (Automotive)

The only drawback is that the builtin air compressor isn't fan cooled so it can only operate about 10-15 minutes at a time before it over heats and air flow could be higher. Another option would be to plug in a high flow, heavy duty air compressor into the builtin 12V outlet or inverter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty safety backup., August 20, 2005
This is a solid product. I didn't think I needed the built-in air compressor, but it suddenly saved the day for a few bike tires. And after you deflate your vehicle tires for beach travel, you can get back to street pressures without a lot of hassle. The Powerpack 400 is a bit pricier for a reason - it packs more ampere-hours into a small unit. I take it camping into remote locations where I'm guaranteed that I won't have to walk out due to a dead battery. So then I'm comfortable running some low wattage lights in my tent. I can even watch a DVD movie on my iMac G5 computer without running out of power. It recharges using the car's cigarettte lighter and, while you're at home you can leave it on the AC-DC charger indefinitely. A super product, compact product.

5.0 out of 5 stars W orks like a charm, April 2, 2005
Ojibwas (H.B. Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this through Amazon because they sale it at a lower price then what others sale it for and free shipping to.But the Powerpack works like a charm,best if you charge it for more than 35 hours before useing.But it has everything you need if you go camping or just useing it around the house.If it gets to hot(Esp. when useing the air pump) it will automatically shut down untill it has cooled down,it shocked me at first when it happend thinking I just fried the thing,so don't let it run for to long.It has 2 AC outlets for small appliances.Has indicater to show how much percent of power is left and how much juice you are useing when useing the AC outlets.It has everything you need in case of an emeregency either away on the road or at home.A great size and easy to carry and handel.It has a cigerate liter port for charging the Pack or useing a device that has that type of plug. 5 stars ........

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, works as advertised. Tested some actual run times., December 6, 2005
I bought this mainly for some kind of backup power during our hurricane season in Florida.

I tested the following items separately to see what kind of duration I'd get:

Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop - 4.8 hours before alarm sounded (uses 70 watts)

Emerson 13 inch color tv - 4.1 hours before alarm sounded (uses 72 watts)

The unit actually came almost fully charged for me. When recharging after totally drained it took about 30 hours until I got the solid green light. One person had a great idea, during a power outage for a couple days, and after using up all the juice in the generator, he used his car to recharge it. It says it would take 3 hours to charge a fully drained generator through the cigarette lighter but when you don't have power for a week, that's a nice way to keep the unit going.

Fred

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product., September 8, 2006
I've had one of these units for about a year. It's been very useful. Jump started my (seldom used) full size pickup truck twice, my wife's Honda Civic once. Also used the 120VAC outlet to make smoothies with a blender, just for fun. Plenty of power. A couple of shortcomings... The air compressor has very small capacity (high pressure but low flowrate). Works fine for filling basketballs and footballs. But, when I tried to use it to blow up my daughter's inflatable wading pool...forget it. It would have taken hours...was much faster blowing it up the old fashioned way. Also, the jumper cables are kind of short. You have to balance the (heavy) unit somewhere in engine compartment, in close proximity to the battery, so that the clamps will reach the battery terminals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lets me turn off the generator, August 18, 2007
EQReader (Alturas, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Like many other reviewers here, I agree, "THIS WORKS AS ADVERTISED." Thanks, Xantrex. I've bought three, two I use regularly, one I gave to a contractor after we used it to refill his slow-leak tire.

26 pounds is a luggable weight. For me, this is about the right weight considering the tradeoff between portability and battery life.

A few notes. I'm using my two powerpacks in an off-grid RV. I also have a generator. They stay plugged in, so when I run the generator, they are being charged. And when the generator is off, the first powerpack lets me stay connected to a wireless internet service (the dish needs a little power from its connected USB/power cable). And the second powerpack lets me power a nice bright little halogen reading lamp at night for a few hours (the 12V lights are fine for navigation, but not so great to read by). And they are both handy to recharge the cell phone during long calls. I have also used it twice to start a vehicle with a drained battery and it worked fine (except for a badly fitting connection, see below).

If you have to run from a generator for any extended time, they will really save your generator. I figure they cut my generator time by two-thirds. Which saves me fuel, and the life of my generator, but more importantly lets me enjoy the peace and quiet of the wilderness.

I wouldn't try to run a heater or a fan off of them. But either one, fully charged, will more than double the time I can use my laptop from about 5 hours (with the big battery) to about 10 hours. So if weight is not an issue (if, for instance, you are a road warrior roaming around in a vehicle instead of an airplane), this is a helluva deal compared to buying more laptop batteries, or having to run your car just to recharge your laptop.

Here are my only complaints:

* while charging from an AC connection, it would be nice to see the level of charge; currently, I have to unplug it, then press the button, then plug it back in again

* the cigarette-lighter 12v connection to recharge from the car is sticky--not a good fit; also the charging light does not come on to let me know it's working

* the jumper cable connection to 12v is REALLY sticky, I had to break off a piece of the plastic on one of them to get it seated--the people in the factory who were making each part clearly weren't talking to each other that day--and why this particular kluge is ugly is that when you need to jumpstart your car, chances are your nerves are already a little frazzled, and having to jam the connection to get it working had me swearing

* 20 amp hour battery just does not last that long--like all of these devices, optimistic estimates of usage time should be cut by one-third to one-half

Otherwise, really, I think every household should have at least one of these. At this price and weight, it just can't be beat. You'll be happy you have it when you need it. So will anyone you buy it for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good power pack for the money, October 4, 2005
I am very pleased with this unit, it has all the features one needs when traveling to places without power when camping and can be recharged by plugging it back into your vehicle. It provided over 20 hours of run time on a single charge using small appilances on it and took 3 hours to recharge from the 12V vehicle plug provided with the unit. Remember, you need to have your vehicle running or you will run down the cars battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensible Gadget For Road Trips, August 5, 2006
Audrey "working dogz" (Martinez, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought the X Power Powerpack 400 Plus last year for powering a fan for my dogs while attending trials. I can run a small, portable fan all day and still have power left at the end of the day. It recharges in a few hours when plugged into a vehicle, or overnight when plugged into an electrical outlet. It's also handy for recharging cell phones, and I've used it to jump a dead car battery and inflate a flat tire. I searched the Internet before buying, and Amazon had the lowest price of anyone with free shipping to boot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable power source, August 21, 2006
This model is designed for car emergencies (it has a trouble light, jump starts a dead battery with its own suppplied very high quality cables and will inflate a tire), but we bought it for camping trips so we could power a regular fan on hot days and recharge our cell phones. It did both very well--running a good size fan for about an hour a day for five days and recharging four cell phones daily. Its a big lead acid battery in the shape of an old eighties boom box. Because it is essentially a car battery, it is fairly heavy (@ 23 lbs), but it has two sockets rigged to an inverter for AC devices and a standard car DC input. It charges up much faster than it says to expect from a wall socket--just a few hours, and is said to do so faster direct from the car; you get adapters to do both. We will keep it out in the open in case the power goes out. A great investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good device, with limitations, April 25, 2008
I bought this for emergencies and for it's multiple uses. Somehow, I have needed almost all of it's features since I purchased it. Let me review each;

Jump starting a car: Worked flawlessly and repeatedly. We had a minivan that was used quite infrequently and had a dead battery in it. One thing to note: the jumper cable is fairly short. We had to have a stool or someone holding the unit to jump start the vehicle. It did not reach from the bumper to the battery.

Powering a portable DVD player/DC: It worked well and gave over 2 hours of play. It probably could have provided more.

Powering laptop & Air mattress pump(AC): Used briefly with laptop without problem. The air mattress pump worked well off the plug and was used repeatedly on the campsite. It made a very convenient combination. The drain on the battery was negligible.

Light: Too heavy for a flashlight, but good for lighting up an area or room during a power outage. Easier to remember where this was put and batteries didn't need to be checked. Surprisingly useful, even at home.

Compressor: The big let down. The air compressor gets hot pretty quickly. This is perfectly fine if you are topping of a slightly flat tire or inflating a basketball, but I would not trust this to inflate a real flat or anything large. I'd rather buy a cheap compressor and plug it into this thing. This is perhaps the weakest link in the device and that seems to be correspond with other reviews.

All in all: a fine portable power unit with multiple uses. It's a nice tool for a vehicle, camping or in an emergency. Read the instructions and warnings before use. This isn't intended for use with all electric devices.

Rate and Discover Movies