ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games

Edition: 250GB ConsoleChange

on June 15, 2010
The new Xbox 360 redesign is slimmer, quieter, sleeker, has built in Wireless N, and has a 250GB hard drive. It is not a new console, and is not any spectacular leap for Xbox. This is simply a better Xbox 360. First off, the console looks great. It is much smaller than the current model, and has a really nice black glossy finish (although fingerprints show up a lot easier). The buttons are now touch sensitive rather than physical buttons. It is also, as said by Microsoft, "whisper quiet". Unlike the current model, this one doesn't sound like a jet engine when running, and allows it to be practically unnoticed, a big plus when watching movies. It also has built in Wireless N Wifi, which adds a significant value to this console, as the current adapters Microsoft sells are in the $70-$100 range. They also added a 250GB internal hard drive, which is removable, but NOT compatible with current 360's. If you are looking to upgrade, you are going to have to transfer all of your stuff from the old Xbox to the new one using USB drives (this 360 does not have memory unit slots, just USB). The console is also Kinect ready, and includes a specific port for Kinect when it launches this November. This port supplies the Kinect camera with power and the connection to the Xbox, whereas otherwise you would have to plug in Kinect to the wall for power AND the Xbox for the connection.

Bottom line, if you don't have a 360 and want to make the jump, this is the time to do it. If you have a 20GB 360 or a console that's giving you problems (overheating etc.), I would say you should look at upgrading. If you have a fairly newer 360 model, I think you should just hold off.
4040 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 2, 2010
I am a PS3 owner but by no means a fan boy. The only thing that was keeping me from purchasing a Xbox 360 was the unreliability of the hardware. When this new console was announced I felt it was time to make the purchase. Built in wifi, quieter design, and a redesign that supposedly fixed the previous issues with the red ring of death, were all things that appealed to my sensibilities as a consumer. So far I have not been disappointed.

First off I am going to compare the Xbox 360 to the PS3 because it is my frame of reference. Simply put the Xbox is more user friendly. Load times so far on the Xbox have been much shorter than those on the PS3 (this could be because of the games I have been playing, which so far have only been a few on the Xbox, none of which are new releases). You don't have to use a disc to play Netflix, and the Netflix interface on the Xbox is much better than that on the PS3. Not only is it easier to use, but it just looks better. Xbox Live is also much better than the Playstation Network, and even though I had to pay for the premium service the price for a year is reasonable for the way multi player works seamlessly and again it just looks better. Sorry, I like things that are functional and look pretty. It is also reasonably priced I think I paid $37 bucks for 12 months of Xbox Live ($3.08 a month, big deal). I also like the Xbox controller, I find it very comfortable to use, and to me it is more comfortable that the PS3 Controller. As far as graphics go between the PS3 and Xbox the difference is negligible, and I really don't think anyone could tell the difference unless they had the two consoles on two identical TVs side by side. One thing the PS3 does have going for it is that going through the exclusive games for that console compared to the 360, I have much more interest in the PS3 exclusives (which has nothing to do with console performance and really only speaks to my preference of games).

Now onto the Xbox 360 itself and the supposed new features. First off, the set up was a breeze, everything so far has worked right out of the box. Built in wireless set up very easily and detected my network right away. Also I have never been disconnected while playing or experienced any lag on screen. It seems to be quiet at least as quiet as the PS3 (I can't compare it to the old model Xbox as I have no frame of reference). You can still hear it sometimes but I think to expect to not hear anything coming from a device that has moving parts is ridiculous. Bottom line is that when I am in game it does not distract me which is the main issue. There is some heat coming off of it, but mine is not so hot where it worries me. I also have not had the issue of the console turning off when it gets too hot as some people have reported, although I think the most I usually play at a time is only a couple of hours compared to some who play for extended periods of time. I also have not had any issue with the system scratching discs. If you don't move the console with a disc in it you won't have a problem. Even if the system will be off, if I move it I will take the disc out as that what it says on the front of the console. I was also surprised at how easy it was to hook up the mic. Voice chat worked very well without having to do anything, I plugged it in and was chatting with my friends playing L4D. There was some feedback at first when using the mic but it went away and I haven't experienced it sense. I am very impressed with what is included in the box for the Xbox, they pretty much give you everything you need minus a game and HDMI cable, but the price of this product at $300 with a larger HDD and built in wireless seemed like a very good deal, and HDMI cables on amazon are cheap, as are many of the older games that I will start out playing. I also hooked up my 5.1 surround sound headset to the optical output and they worked right away without having to change any settings which was very surprising.

The one thing I cannot attest to with this hardware is its reliability. People have been saying they have been having issues with the hardware failing, but with any new hardware there will be a few lemons in the bunch. I also have only had the hardware for a week so it is very possible something could go wrong and I will be revising my review. I would recommend buying an extended warranty with this product. Apparently the new Xbox only has a 1 year warranty whereas the older version was covered for 3 years for the issues it has had (RROD). Also this is the first iteration of this product so I feel it is better to be safe than sorry, just in case this hardware has its own issues. Lets face it the Xbox 360 has been around for 5 years now and they were still having issues with the last generation, so do yourself a favor and protect your investment.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 16, 2010
First of all, as an owner of all the big 3 gaming systems this generation and last, the Xbox and Xbox 360 get my vote for "Best Video Game Consoles of the Last Decade" in terms of the over-the-top FUN, game-playing ease (on & offline), killer-graphics & sound, and the highest quality and variety of exclusive games.

If you've never owned an Xbox, now is the time to jump in! For around $300, you get practically everything you need for two players to have infinite fun! In addition, has great deals on Xbox 360 games from $10 to $20 on factory-sealed games that are only a year or two old.

Pros of the Xbox 360 Slim:

* It really is whisper quiet.
* Better heat ventillation system. Safeguard mechanism to shut down before overheating.
* Semi-Internal 250 GB Hard Drive (different from the past 360 models)
* Built-in Wireless Modem
* Built-in Kinect Port for controller-less gaming coming this Nov. 2010
* Sleek, sexy, glossy-black finish on console that is smaller than its predicessors.

Cons of 360 Slim:

* Although it has the brand new Valhalla chip, the proven Jasper chip in the Elite bundles runs cooler (such as in the Limited Modern Warefare 2, Resident Evil 5, Splinter Cell:Conviction, and the Final Fantasy XIII Bundles). All have gigantic 250 GB hard drives with seemingly endless memory for storing games, videos, and music.

Here's my take, the latest Jasper-chipped 360 Elites were finally perfected, ran very cool & quiet, had the lowest incidents of Red Ring of Death from overheating, and an awesome 3-year warranty. The new Slims have taken one step backwards in that the game discs get much hotter. So, if you are looking for an Xbox 360 Elite for a your first Xbox 360 or just as a backup, I would highly recommend getting The Final Fantasy XIII Bundle with the free $50 FFXII facelate (my personal recommendation at $299) while you can because they have discontinued production of everything, but the Xbox 360 Slims.

My bottom line suggestion is to get the proven Jasper Elite while you still can, but you certainly won't be disappointed by the Xbox Slim. I just wish Xbox would have given us the choice of the new Slim design or the slightly larger Jasper Elites. Whatever you decide, HAPPY GAMING, you won't regreat buying an Xbox 360 as your primary gaming system! Nintendo Wii and PS3 aren't bad machines, just less fun than the Xbox 360 in my opinion from a veteran gamer who remembers when pinball machines and pong games ruled the arcades.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 13, 2011
We have to consider the Xbox 360 in light of the PS3-the 360's only real competitor. First note that I absolutely LOVE Sony products and my PS3- so I think I can be fair. Pro's and cons of each

XBOX 360 PRO's-

-Games are cheaper and faster. If you plan on playing a LOT of cross-console games, of which there are MANY, you'll save a fortune by getting the 360

-The controller is superior and more fun to use, especially if you like first person shooters

-The interface, especially Netflix, is easier to use

-Gears of War is the best next gen game there is, altough Resistance is a very very good game

-If you like playing online, get the 360 - end of story. Gears of War 2 is the best online game there is. And Gears 3 looks to be better

-It looks awesome, even cooler than the new PS3

No blu ray player

Expensive Xbox Live fees

The exclusives are, overall, gravely inferior

PS3 pros-

-MUCH better exclusives. Resistance 1+2, Killzone 2, Uncharted 1+2, God of War 3, and the two Rachet + Clank's when combined OBLITERATE the Xbox exclusives: the ohly ones worth mentioning are Gears of War 1 + 2 and Left for Dead 1 + 2 - which are fantastic games, but the Halo games are nothing special IMO.

-ALL DvD's function with resume playback. This is absolutely fantastic. You can watch 7/16ths' of a DVD now, and finish it exactly where you left off a year from now. If you have a large dvd collection, this is something to consider. About 1/2 of blu ray movies function with this feature, and a lot of the ones that don't have bookmark feauture.

-Blu Ray. Blu Ray movies are MUCH more enjoyable visually than DVD's. Anyone who says different has a crappy TV or poor vision. If you are a hardcore movie buff get the PS3.

-Free online gaming, and you can download the plethora of PS1 games for $6-10 from PSN.

-Many ps3 games, both cross platform and exclusive, are cost prohibitive

-Blu rays are still cost prohibitive--this will change with time but it'll be quite a while

-The controller is inferior to the 360. It is not at all a bad controller, but the 360 cont5oller is easier to aim and use, and it's just more fun overall.

-My disc drive on my PS3 broke after 4 months-I put this last because I'm just one man- although for me this is a deal breake. I realize I'm likely a minority. It was heartbreaking, because I have sworn by sony products for over a decade now. GET A WARRANTY, NO MATTER WHAT SYSTEM YOU CHOOSE. At least two years.

-Get both systems if you have the money-they're both wonderful-but GET A WARRNATY on both of them

-Both systems are about grapically equivalent-the ps3 has very slightly better graphics in their exclusives, but the 360 tends to have better graphics on cross platforms. There are exeptions to both of these statements though. If graphics are your main concern you'll be happy with either system.

-If you can hold out, just wait a couple years until ps3 games and blu ray's are cheaper to rent + own. Blu Ray's ARE better, but they're still about 2x as expensive (at least) as dvd's at the moment.

-The Xbox 360 is superior, but by a very slight margin. Condemning either totally is simply ignorance. The controller and the significant price difference in used games makes the 360 the best console for those on the fence.

-There are very good Blu Ray players out now for around $80-90. Although they all play DVD's, I have no idea if any have the resume playback feature.

-The fantastic multiplatform games out trump the need to worry too much about exclusives.

Side-note: So called "DVD upscaling" that HD input DVD players allow is NOT comparable to Blu Ray-it is scarcely noticable IME.

I truly truly hope I've helped someone with this very costly decision.

One more time though:

on June 18, 2010
First I just want to state that this is a xbox 360 not a brand new console. Its pretty much the same speed and graphics of the originals, but it is the best one ever made! I have had mine for a few hours now and here is how it stakes up so far:

The good:

- Nearly silent when compared with the original 360. It sounds like a well engineered machine and not a rattly jet engine. Its a little quieter then my wii.

- Smaller with a sexier look. That includes the power brick, which is a little more than half the size of the original.

- Built in wireless N and its fast.

- Integrated optical audio.

- 5 usb ports.

- Internal, but easily accessible 250gb HDD on the bottom of the console.

- Uses half the power of the original.

- Works with most of the old accessories, including the transfer cable.

The bad:

- The new shiny look is a finger print magnet.

- The IR receiver is located lower on the console and appears to have a narrower field. So depending on setup using a remote maybe a headache.

- Only comes with standard def av cables.

The stuff I don't care about but worth mentioning:

- Does not use the old memory cards or hard drives.

- Touch sensitive buttons that when touch emit a soft tone.

- Kinect ready socket in the back.

All in all this is a great update to the 360 line, but since it isn't an all new console I would suggest that if you have a fairly new original 360 that is working fine to NOT get this console. However, if you have an old, worn out, and out of warranty 360 like me its worth a look!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 18, 2010
I was an owner of the original XBox 360. I was in need of rent money so I ended up selling it. I've been waiting patiently for a year for MS to release a smaller, quieter machine. Let me tell you, the wait was worth it! The sleek finish is very nice. Although the pictures on the box and online show it upright, you can lay it on it's side, which is what I prefer to do. The power button is much like the PS3 phat, where you don't have to press it. You simply swipe your finger over it and presto! it turns on. There is one large fan located on the side of the 360 (top if it's laying on it's side). This fan is extremely quiet. Remember the jet engine sounds of the original 360s? They are no more! Now, I haven't had any of the other models of the 360, just the original, so I'm not sure if they reduced the sound in those models. All I know is my old 360 sounded like a turbine spinning up. THERE IS NO WINDING UP SOUND! I purchased Alan Wake and Mass Effect 2. I put Alan Wake into the drive and the only sound it made was a quiet "fan" sound. No case vibrating roar like the original. After watching the intro to the game, I went back to the XBox dashboard. There was no winding down sound, either. Just a very quiet sound as the drive stopped.

I highly recommend this item for those of you looking to replace your loud 360s or those looking for their first 360. Don't waste your money on the discounted previous models! The $50 extra you pay for this new version is definitely worth it!

*EDIT* 6/22/10
Don't listen to all the stories about red dots of death and overheating issues. The youtube video is sketchy at best. Did you hear the loud fan in the video? That's not the fan of the 360S model, it sounds like an older model. There's no proof that the 360 connected to the TV was the new model.

Yes, the 360S blows out hot air, it's supposed to! I've left mine on for over 10 hours, both playing games and idle. I placed my hand on the actual 360 unit in several places and the plastic remains room temperature. The heat is being moved out of the unit and not remaining trapped inside. If your 360 isn't blowing out hot air, you have a problem.

*EDIT* 6/24/10
Playing Alan Wake, I placed a thermometer over the air vent blowing out of the 360S model. I get a temperature reading of 119. I'm sure there are more intensive games that will push the 360 harder but 119 isn't bad at all.
on July 1, 2010
So this is the first Xbox 360 I have ever owned. I received the unit on Monday and as far as I can tell there have been no problems with the hardware of this system, hopefully none later on. One of the things I noticed is that while not playing any disc-based games, the system runs fairly quiet, however, it is considerably more noisy when playing disc-based games then I imagined when Microsoft said it was "whisper" quiet. The built-in wireless works very well. Even with a wireless g connection it seems to be able to connect better than my ps3 (ps3 gets about 25% without a wireless extender, xbox 360 seems to get around 50%). Note that my systems are very far away from my router and goes through many walls. I believe with a wireless n connection the connection would be superb anywhere within any house. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems that it takes a longer time to load games on Xbox 360 than on ps3, however once loaded the games run just the same. This problem can probably be fixed with installing the game on the hard drive, and with 250gb, there should be plenty of space. Overall I am very pleased with this system and would highly recommend it if you do not already own a newer model of the elite. If you have an older model, i would trade it in to Gamestop and pick up this model. If you already own a newer model of the elite or arcade with the newer chip-set, i would just stick with that.
on July 6, 2010
So, after about 4 years of using my original xbox 360, I received the red ring of death. I spend $8 and bought a repair kit that I was unable to use to fix it (probably due to my lack of experience repairing such things, but it was worth a shot). I went out and bought this new xbox. The sales guy at the place I went to explained to me that the new xbox was equipped with the ability to shut itself off before overheating, thus preventing the issue that resulted in the hardware failure from overheating that gave the RRoD.

Although I have only had it for several days, here are my observations:
* it does what it says it will do. it's quieter, it resistes the RRoD (or so is claimed), it's a bit smaller and it has a more effective cooling system design.
* the built in wifi works very well, I had it up and running in no time
* big hard drive

of course, I'm never happy when I have hardware fail, so I can't say I was super-excited to go spend another $299 on a system, but I had that other system for 4 years without failure, so I guess as much as I played it, it was worth it.

Xbox online capability (xbox live) is still the best thing going, as I hear not-good things about the PS network. Also, I was happy to see that the high def cables I was using for the original xbox are compatible with the new system, so I didn't have to go out and re-purchase them.
on June 16, 2010
Let me just start off by saying I was skeptical about this item. I already have an Xbox 360 so I figured I didn't need to upgrade, but I did anyways and boy was I surprised.

First off, this console is considerably smaller than the previous Xbox 360s. The power button is touch sensitive, which I also thought was very cool. It comes with a 250 gb hard drive which is the largest out there but the hard drive itself is also considerably smaller than the other hard drives. It is also inside the console instead of outside. The built in WiFi works much better than the wireless adapters, I've had no lag so far and no connection issues whatsoever. Another great characteristic of this is that it has 5 USB ports, 2 in the front and 3 in the back. One of my favorite things about this is that it is almost silent. If the room is silent and you are more than 3 feet away you can't hear it, which is spectacular compared to previous models.

Overall this console is a must have. It is well worth the $300.00.

This will go well with Kinect when it comes out this November.
on July 29, 2010
First and foremost I'd like to give a little info on myself so that whomever stumbles upon this review understands what this review is about and can compare your tastes with mine and come to a conclusion about the review and the Xbox 360 S. I've found that with reviews such as movies the critics and myself don't always see eye to eye so I'll find a reviewer that has my tastes and usually I'll agree with the reviewer. So, I love video games, and I play about 10-20 hours a week sometimes less, sometimes more depending on other obligations (i.e. work, school, family, friends etc). About 18 months ago I took my first step into the "next gen" consoles and was daunted with the task of getting the right system for myself. I ended up getting the PS3 80GB model, and I love it and would recommend it very much so. The reason I chose the PS3 over the Xbox 360 was because of the high failure rate of the Xbox 360, the PS3 had built in wifi, no annual fee to play games online, PS3 has Blu-ray, and exclusive titles on the PS3 interested me more so than the exclusives on the 360. Ultimately in the end what won me over with the PS3 was the Blu-ray and RROD. Now to get a taste of what games I like: Super Street Fighter IV, Killzone 2, God of War, Infamous, Borderlands, Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Modnation Racers, Demon's Souls, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

When Microsoft announced the new Xbox 360 "slim" I was very interested and excited about it. I've read other reviews and "expert" reviews and came to the conclusion that this was the Xbox 360 for me! It's got a great look to it, now has built in wifi, 250GB hard drive, and hopefully lower failure rate than previous versions. I've had the Xbox 360 S for about a week now. It's also Kinect ready but I'm not all that excited about that...we'll have to wait and see if its worthwhile, my guess is probably not. Although the ability to turn on the 360 by a wave or voice command and other simple controls is pretty cool but not necessary.
My experience with the 360 so far has been good. It is very quiet and it is fast, it loads a little faster than previous models as witnessed on G4. The graphics are great, although I don't know if they are better than previous models. Compared to the PS3 the graphics are very similar, maybe the 360 has a bit of an edge but nothing that should deter you from either system. Now compared to the Wii, the differences are night and day. I used to own a Wii but it was collecting dust (not many games I played or interested in, but this year looks like they have some great games coming out) so I gave it to my little niece and nephew.
It took me a little while to get familiar with the controller and navigating the 360. Personally, I prefer the PS3 controller and XMB. The Live Gold membership is great yeah, it's 50 bucks a year but you can find deals on it, I found it for 35 bucks for the year. I like that you can party chat, something the PSN lacks. I also love the fact that you can play music while playing a game, hence creating your own soundtrack, awesome! I have a Zune and I thought that I would have been able to use my Zune subscription to listen to music but that was not the case it's mainly for music videos, maybe in the future they will integrate that (fingers crossed or have I just not found a way to do so?). I also like the fact that you can connect the 360 over wifi to stream music and movies, although I haven't used that feature yet, I've heard that it's really easy to do so and plan on doing that once I get my server. The downside so far with my 360 is that it did make some really loud weird noises a few nights ago while playing MW2, I had not installed the game to the hard drive yet, and since I'm worried about scratching my games, I will be installing all my games to the hard drive. When I got the 360 I bought Gears of War and Mass Effect, and just got MW2 a couple of days ago. Gears of War looks great and so far plays awesome and I like it very much. Haven't played Mass Effect though, but I think Mass Effect is more my type of game and can't wait to play it and move on to Mass Effect 2 which is supposed to be the best game out so far this year. When comparing MW2 on the PS3 to the 360, the 360 version shines because the controls are tighter on the 360, the party chat is great, and is just a better over all experience on the 360. The 360 as they say is much better for FPS's, however as much as I do like FPS's I do get tired of them and that is the reason why I like the PS3 exclusives more so than the 360 and for titles on both consoles they vary (i.e. Final Fantasy, Bayonetta). My only real gripe with the 360 is why do they still use a proprietary drive? Yes, its removable and it looks like a 2.5 SATA but I'm not 100% sure about that because it's enclosed in a shiny case and I don't want to void my warranty or break the thing trying to open it. If someone knows more about this, please enlighten me. However, I did get the extended warranty with squaretrade for fear of the Red Dot. Hopefully I'll never have to use it. I have a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive hooked up to it and it works great, the 360 reads almost all common files where as the PS3 doesn't, big plus in my book.

If I could I'd give the new Xbox 360 S a 4.5 stars out of 5 and I do! Graphics are great, nice sleek design, ease of use and setup, Live is a better experience than PSN however not by much but it's the little things that make it great; built in wifi (although my setup allows a wired connection, which I prefer), bigger hard drive but not sure about expandability via internal. I'm just lucky that I'm able to have both systems because both the PS3 and 360 are great, both have their strengths and weaknesses but it's a great time to be a GAMER! and for all those PS3 and 360 bashers, stop hating and just enjoy.

In the Box:
360 S console (250gb HDD, 5 usb 2.0 ports, built in wifi, ethernet port, hdmi av port, s/pdif port, auxilaiary port)
1 all back wireless controller with batteries
1 av cable
xbox 360 headset
1 month Live Gold

Netflix comparison: The video quality when streaming from Netflix is better on the PS3, however it is a little more convenient with the 360. For some reason the colors on the 360 seem to be white washed. I'd rather stream movies from netflix on the PS3 because the video quality is better.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...