Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on March 31, 2012
cut right to the chase: it does play original xbox games

that was my whole concern before purchasing it. i had to rifle through hundreds of reviews before i found someone that actually said that and stood behind it. i'm saving someone else a lot of time.

as you already know, like myself you probably got the 4g xbox kinect, this works for that and you get a ton of storage for it, fits perfectly, works perfectly, and plays original xbox games.

this is a official microsoft product so it will work. the knock off versions do not play original games
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2011
Well, I finally caved in and decided to get one of these hard drives... even though every fiber in my being was telling me that Microsoft is ripping us off! These hard drives cost triple compared to a regular computer SATA Hard drive.... so I wanted satisfy my curiosity by finding out what the difference was between the microsoft brand hard drive was, and these knockoffs on the "Other Sellers" list.

I waited until both drives got delivered so I could measure performance and quality. The initial differences were rather obvious: retail packaging versus shrink wrap. But in my eyes, this does not sully the quality of any product. Most companies use retail packaging as a way to knock up the price of the exact same, identical OEM product. So do not be fooled by the oldest trick in the book.

While inspecting the two drives for physical differences, I noticed that the knockoffs had small differences in manufacturing: like the plastic housing felt a little more sturdy on the Microsoft model, and the factory print on the back of the drives contained different text. Again, such small differences that hadn't really been a deal breaker for me.

The real test came when I plugged them each into my Xbox and tried transferring my Gamertag over. Believe it or not, there was absolutely NO difference. Both drives functioned the same. Gameplay was identical on Black Ops and Halo: Reach after I installed both games on the hard drive. So after I was done with my test, I actually ended up returning the Microsoft brand drive and keeping the knockoff.

Microsoft Brand 250 GB hard drive: $93-$100

Knockoffs Brand 250 GB hard drive: $60-$85

Sorry Microsoft, love ya but I'm gonna have to vote for the underdog who sells hard drives for what they are actually worth. I say, purchase from one of the "other sellers" on the list, but make sure that they have enough ratings to where you feel comfortable giving them your money. I'm always wary of some of the ones at the bottoms of the list with no seller history! Regarding who I specifically bought from, I won't mention specific names since that would be unfair for the other competitors. I imagine they are all selling the same or similar hard drives so why promote one over the other? Good luck and don't forget to do your independent research before you buy!
4141 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2010
The fact that you have to purchase Microsoft branded drives for the 360 "IS" kind of ridiculous; especially being that they charge about 60% over the retail cost of a 250GB hard drive.

The drives however are solid. There is one known issue with this model of drive in the new 360 Slim. If the drive isn't inserted "just right" you will get what appears to be a "red dot of death" and the console won't work; however, all you have to do is remove the drive and re-insert it making sure it is in all the way, and the problem will correct itself.

And yes, ... I own a 360 slim with this drive in it....
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2011
If you are one of the many that bought a 4GB xbox 360 bundle and plan on playing more than a few games (2.7GB left after system data is factory installed onto the internal HDD), you're going to need this product. I originally purchased a 500 GB WD elements drive since it is a much cheaper option but landed up returning it do to:

1. 16GB storage cap on USB connected devices (thanks Microsoft).
2. Necessary reformatting from NTFS to FAT32, as well as Microsoft downloading excess software on to the drive so it can even be seen by the console.
3. Constant performance limitations of USB 2.0 compared to the SATA connection in the drive slot on the bottom of the console.

I have had the Xbox 360 S kinect bundle and the 250GB HDD since Christmas and have beaten Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, COD black ops, and now working on Halo Reach (dabbled a little with some kinect games as well) with not a single issue with the piece of hardware. Does the job without a hitch. I realize it is yet another overpriced piece of proprietary hardware from Microsoft but they really got us "by the balls" here if you want to experiment with all capabilities of the system. It is really dependent upon what type of gamer you are but if you want to see what your system can do, I would recommend this purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2013
Purchased hard drive as it was advertised as being an original Microsoft-branded accessory. I receive the drive packed in a very convincing OEM-style retail package with genuine Microsoft markings. On installation of the drive, I noted that it was completely empty and did not contain any software despite the box stating content was included. I then attempted to play an original XBox title to test the backwards compatibility of the drive and was unsuccessful. I contacted Microsoft Xbox Tech Support who confirmed that the drive was counterfeit and the serial number on the accessory was not valid. Very unhappy with this purchase.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2010
I was really surprised with how easy this was to install, it literally took me about 60 seconds just lift up the little door and slide it in (it only goes one way), and i was ready to go when the xbox powered back up. so far so good.
on May 22, 2012
I bought this hard drive thinking it was official Microsoft hard drive, the product works but it doesn't have the Xbox emulator built in so no original Xbox game will work on my system...
on September 8, 2011
I ordered this item expecting an official Microsoft product. What I received was a functional, though clearly black market product. On the packaging, the official seal lines and their coloring were all off, there were no indications of where the product was manufactured on the back of the packaging like the official product, and the patented Microsoft logo font (with the notched 'os' in the middle) was replaced with a generic italicized sans serif font. A clever ruse, especially when you're shopping online and don't get to take a look at the packaging. The case of the hard drive itself was clearly a fake by the lack of labels on the back present on the official drives, and the fact that it was made in China, whereas every drive I've examined in store has been made in Thailand (as indicated on the back of the official boxes).

All in all, the only thing you really lose by using a fake drive is backwards compatibility with original Xbox games. If that's not important to you, then there are sellers who make it clear that they're selling unofficial products (250G HDD Hard Disk Drive For Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim), and they do it more cheaply and provide information on the actual type of hard drive they put in the fake casing. It's a crap shoot when you buy from one of the marketplace sellers from this page. The only way to ensure you're REALLY going to get an official hard drive from here is to buy direct from Amazon and not one of the marketplace sellers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2012
Why pay double for a Genuine Microsoft HDD? I bought the 4gb Xbox Slim that requires a HDD, unless you don't plan on using Xbox Live arcade, downloading videos, or download any games. Also I have some original Xbox titles (GTA 3 series, Max Payne, etc.) and I saw all of the positive reviews for the knock-off generic HDD and I bought one, and much to my disappointment, none of my Xbox titles worked and I was like: What the heck? I was really cheesed off. After searching high and low on the forums and Microsoft support to find out why my generic HDD wasn't allowing me to play any of my old Xbox titles. What I found out is the Microsoft branded Xbox 360 S drives contain a separate partition with Xbox emulation software. I had originally had bought a cheaper generic HDD and even though may have been cheaper, it proved worthless since I had Xbox titles I wanted to play. An item can be cheap as can be, but if it does not work for you than it is a waste no matter how cheap.

So if you have any Xbox titles buy genuine Microsoft, if you trust the cheapo generic HDD, pay your money and take your chances. I ended up returning the generic drive because it simply did not work with ANY Xbox titles. Luckily Amazon is good when it comes to returns and I only lost about $4.50 in shipping the bad drive back. I got this drive in, dropped it in the 4GB Xbox slim and voila' it works like a charm, I was so happy and have no regrets on the extra cost or lost space to the emulation partition. Save yourself a headache and buy OEM.
on April 20, 2011
I bought a 4gb Xbox 360 slim because it is matte rather than glossy. 4gbs was filled up with just my game saves and I needed to have more space. I didnt want to risk getting in trouble for an aftermarket drive, so I decided to go with a microsoft drive. It plops right in and works perfectly. I copied my files to the hard drive, which is really easy to do. Now I have enough space to download my DLC. I highly recommend getting one of these if you have a 4gb xbox 360 slim and need more room. The hard drive is a little bit pricey, but at its current price ($90-95), it ends up being cheaper than the Xbox 360 slim 250gb version.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse