1,151 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!
Published on August 6, 2010 by Mikey

1,296 of 1,408 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Spring for a hard drive!
Don't make the same mistake I did -- the 4 GB version may seem like a good deal if you don't think you'll need a lot of space, but what they don't tell you is that some features REQUIRE an actual hard drive. You might think that a gig is a gig and it shouldn't make any difference whether it's on a disk or flash memory, but to the Xbox, they are not equivalent...
Published on November 19, 2010 by S. Hammack

1,296 of 1,408 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Spring for a hard drive!, November 19, 2010
S. Hammack (Tallahassee, FL) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)

This means that unless you buy a hard drive (and it has to be one of the new 250 GB hard drives because the old ones are not compatible), you get no backwards compatibility with Xbox games, and some 360 games will arbitrarily block you from some features such as playing online or even installing updates or DLC, regardless of how much free space you have available. Basically, you can only use the internal storage (or a flash drive) to store full games, saves, or other media, but it's not the same as having a 4 GB hard drive. I wish someone had told me this before I bought mine; I foolishly assumed that the features would be identical and the only difference would be the amount of space, but now I have to buy a hard drive separately, adding up to more than it would have cost if I'd just bought the 250 GB model in the first place. Caveat emptor, indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars New features at a great price!, August 9, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
The xbox 360 slim with 4 GB is what the original arcade version should have been.
10 new features of this model are:
1. New Valhalla chip - hopefully improved design to prevent RRoD issue, but tech. reviews noted that the Jasper chip in the older Elite model runs cooler
2. WiFi N - this is the newest wifi standard that is 12X faster (up to 600 Mbits/ sec) than wifi G; you'll need a Wifi N router to get the max. speed
3. digital optical audio port (IF your sound system is separate from your TV, then you'll need this to get full 5.1 surround sound)
4. 4 GB of flash memory (although 1.1 GB is used by the game system, but 0.3 GB can be reclaimed by deleting 4 game demos)
5. 5 USB ports (2 in front & 3 in back)
6. slimmer design with side vents (to prevent overheating)
7. dedicated Kinect port (just a convenience feature)
8. only 1 year of warranty (the only negative; older Elite models had 3 yrs.)
9. USB flash drive support (this was a xbox software update released in April 2010)
10. ESPN video streaming (will be included if you are a Gold member, $50/ yr)

Slim 4 GB memory vs. 250 GB hard drive:
I bought the 4 GB system over the model with 250 GB hard drive because the xbox now supports game saves/ installs/ downloads and pic/ audio/ video downloads to USB flash drives. It supports 1-2 USB flash drives with 1-16 GB memory (using a 16 GB drive, 1.6 GB is used for formatting). 2 advantages of USB drives: loading games and media is 3x faster with USB drives than disc reading and more reliable (flash memory rarely fails, while discs can get scratched). 2 disadvantages of USB drives: you can not install old xbox games on USB drives and certain games, like Halo Reach and Halo ODST, will not support online coop without a hard drive (having a USB drive will not help). If you have a big appetite for video downloads and game demos that 32 GB can not accommodate, then you can always upgrade later with a 360 GB hard drive. The original model's hard drive is not compatible with the slim model without modification - you would need to remove the original hard drive and insert it into a slim hard-drive case (non-Microsoft, sold separately). You can find a non-Microsoft 120 GB drive for 1/2 the price of the Microsoft drives, but you would need to manually install the "partition 2" xbox emulator (search google) to play old xbox games.

XBOX vs. PS3:
I am originally a PS3 and Wii gamer, but finally bought the xbox when the slim 4 GB model was released. To be competitive with the PS3, the xbox had to have the built-in wifi, optical audio port, and USB flash drive support. I was deciding whether to buy another PS3 since many games require 2 consoles for coop and multiplayer gaming, regardless of what system you choose. With this xbox priced at $200, I decided to choose the xbox since it has better coop games and more online gaming. However, Netflix on xbox requires gold membership and starting a movie is a lot slower than the PS3 even though the xbox has faster wifi. Xbox music and music videos library needs to expand to the size of their TV and movies selection to be comparable with iTunes. The PS3 has better graphics though not significantly better (expected since PS3 has a better processor), but the xbox has better coop and multiplayer games. The PS3 controller is better designed, better constructed, and has a rechargeable battery; the D-pad on the included xbox controller creaked without even playing a single game. Also the PS3 has a Blu-Ray player, which accounts for the small cost difference. The button to open the disc tray on the xbox is too sensitive and not recessed, so slightly brushing it with your clothes will activate it.

Speed Comparison Update:
The Witcher 2 game, which is highly recommended, inspired me to write this update. For the Slim 4 GB model, most game discs can not be installed to the internal memory due to insufficient space. The internal memory is 3x faster than hard drives, which is 3x faster than USB drives, which is 3x faster than disc reading. The approximate speeds are: 270 MB/s internal memory > 90 MB/s hard drive > 30 MB/s USB drives > 10 MB/s disc reading. NOTE: USB drives vary a lot in speed; check the speed and cost before buying - you get what you pay for. So loading a game installed on a USB drive is faster than loading it from the disc, but can be potentially 9x faster if installed to internal memory. The Slim model should be updated with at least 16 GB memory since a game DVD holds up to 8.5 GB of data, 1.5 GB is needed for system files, and 6 GB should be reserved for game saves and updates. With flash memory so cheap these days, Microsoft has no excuse to not increase the internal memory to at least 16 GB. I originally gave the Slim model 5 stars, but docked it 1 star for this issue since it's been more than 2 years since this model was released.

Online Gaming & Media Sharing Update:
I originally didn't mind paying for xbox gold membership since it included Last FM music and ESPN video streaming, but now there are better music streaming service (Sony's definitely better) and the videos within each sports category are disorganized and poorly label so it's hard to find specific clips. So when I discontinued my xbox gold memberships, I found out that you can not play online coop games, even privately hosted ones, without at least one person having gold membership. Microsoft should at least allow privately hosted, online coop games to account for the lack of LAN support by most games. Also, the xbox's support of DLNA media streaming from your computer is poor; you can not save your media, only stream it. DLNA media streaming and sharing is flawless with the PS3. Microsoft's greed is evident in these 2 issues so I docked the xbox another star to give it only 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, August 6, 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
The best Xbox so far. The matte finish, price, 4GB internal is plenty for game saves and some add-ons. If you want more memory, just add 1-2 16GB USB flash sticks. I use USB drives for game saves and full game installs. This way I never have to worry about IF the system breaks on me. I'll always have my personal saves on the flash sticks. I never trust hard drives as they are more prone to fail over a flash stick. Thats why I didn't keep the 250GB version. Plus I don't do demos so I don't need that kind of space. Matte finish does not collect dust and hair like the gloss version does which drove me crazy as I did own the 250GB version for a short time until this version came out. VERY HAPPY with the arcade.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHOA WHOA WHOA CALMMMM DOWN HALO FREAKS, October 24, 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
This XBOX 360 is perfect for me. But a lot of people are complaining because the Halo nerds can't play certain levels on Halo Reach because of there isn't enough room on the Hard Drive... take a deep breath, count to ten, and listen to me.

Alright This XBOX 360 only has 4 GB of space right???? Right, BUTTTTTTT YOU CAN USE FLASH DRIVES! I personnally have 2 16 GB Flash drives do the math that's 32GB + 4GB= 36GB of space plenty for me. Not to mention you can delete and reinstall all you want on these flash drives. Oh and by the way 16GB is the maximum amount of memory per flash drive and you are only allowed 2 flash drives plugged in at anytime. But again that's plenty for me.

For instance. I play Call of Duty. Now game saves take about couple hundred KB or so and even map packs take about 500 MB so that's not that much memory. The real chunk of memory get taken up by installing games which makes the XBOX perform smoother and better.

Now me being a Call of Duty player. I am playing with one 16GB Flash Drive. I have COD MW2 installed on it along with some games saves from it and other games, and my map packs and it has 6.9 GB of space left on it. When Black Ops comes out alls I am going to do is delete Modern Warfare 2 off the Flash Drive. Install Black Ops and go take a shower or something while I am waiting for it to install and when i get back Whaaaa Laaaa! and still plenty of room to boot. For those who like to buy games off of XBOX live you can get them just as cheap if not cheaper used from Game Stop or used from Amazon. So don't waste your money on the marketplace have the disk. But it's up to you.

Anyway just real quick you can't just plug your USB Flash drive in and go. You HAVE TO FORMAT IT! Which will render it dedicated to the XBOX 360 and it will erase what ever is on it. That's fine for me because I don't use my flash drives anymore I have an external hard drive.

So with that said you insert your flash drive, go to "System Settings" go to "Memory" you will see the flash drive go to it and format it. After that you are good to go to use it! Done end of story I am out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Tips If You are Trying to Decide Which One, July 14, 2011
Sheryl Katz (Chatsworth, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
Having recently bought this box, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts if you are trying to figure out which one to get:

1. Get the 4GB version. Don't even think twice about the 250GB hard drive version. You will probably need the 250GB but you don't need it the first day. For less than $50 you can get an aftermarket 250GB drive that pops right into the bay on the box, and it works perfectly. You get everything you get with the 250GB version of the Xbox for $50 less.

2. The version with the Kinetic is great. One thing I love is the minimal number of plugs and wires. One wire from the Kinetic to the Xbox. One wire from the Xbox to the TV. One power plug for all.

3. I'm not a "gamer". I'm almost 60. I bought this for the Kinetic and the "party" game aspect. However, its an awesome home entertainment hub. No kidding. We've got a lot of PCs and even a server. Setting up the ability to watch or listen to the content from somewhere else on the network is a breeze. The box also plays DVDs.

4. Kinetic is better than Wii. I've got a Wii, but I love the ability to do things without the controllers.

5. Xbox is fun for games. Yeah I'm not a gamer, but I like puzzle games and pinball simulations. Pinball FX2 is fantastic.

6. This is the best, most innovative consumer product Microsoft has come up with. No kidding.

I really thought I was buying "another" game console. Over the years I've bought a few. Usually I play with them about 2 weeks, then they sit. After a while my partner, who teaches high school, takes them to school and the kids use them to play games at lunch time. The Xbox 360 is different. It plays games, but it's a lot more. It's a home entertainment system, it's a camera and microphone for internet calls on your PC, its a device to access Netflix over the Internet. It's a different type of home PC with a lot of power, interesting features and the ability to render great graphic on your high definitions TV. Most products are over-hyped. The Xbox 360 is actually under-hyped.

4.0 out of 5 stars What the original should of been...., August 31, 2010
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
I am one of those guys who had an Xbox 360 when it first came out. I like everyone else sufffered from the Red Ring of Death and had to send my unit back in for repair. That was probaly a year and half to two years ago that it was repaired from the RROD. About 1 year ago, I started having problems where the disc player would not read the game correctly and I had to keep on opening the disc player and closing it over and over until it read the disc. Finally, the video card of the Xbox 360 seemed to just die out, i could no longer get a signal on any television, I even bought a new AV cable with no success. Alas, I called microsoft and they wanted $100 to repair it. I decided to say screw that, so I bought a new xbox 360 with HDMI support. I hooked it up to my reciever and I started having some problems with the screen. I was now fed up with microsoft. I returned the 360 and decided to go PS3 all the way.

Well it turns out that on the second 360 i had bought (the new one) the problem was with my home theater reciever and not the 360. So while all my friends had fun playing online together on 360, I was left out with no friends on PS3. ( I just dont know anyone online on the PS3). So my wife bought me this new slim model for my birthday and these are my thoughts.

WIFI - Found my network and connected with ease, wonderful feature.

HDMI Support - does not come with a HDMI cable, but you can get a cheap one on amazon.

4 GB Memory - not exactly alot, but you can buy a 16 GB flash drive to put in one of the many USB ports. BUT...the flash card I bought had a slightly thicker base and I could not plug it into the rear of the 360, so it is poking out of the front slot. So make sure you get a flash drive that is not too big.

Xbox Live - No card for free live for a month?

Headset - No headset

Xbox 360 - the new model is sleek and beautiful. The disc drive is like a touch sensor which is really neat. This is soooo much more quiet than my old 360. I havent put in a major time yet but I didnt feel much heat coming off it which is a definite plus of course.

All in all, 4/5 stars, just because I thought microsoft was a little cheap with no headset, the memory, and no free xbox live gold trial - especially since they are raising the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Same old great gaming platform, new design., August 6, 2010
Pauly C. (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
First off, let's hope these new designs don't suffer any of the same (or new!) problems -- RRoD anyone?

You have a few options in what bundle you get. You can choose between a 4GB and 250GB hard drive. Kinect will be bundled later this year with some other packages.

These pros and cons are really for comparing the new 360 S with the older 360 models.

Pros:
- New sleek design. Smooth black matte finish. Meshes nicely with my other A/V components.
- More vents. New side vent. Top and bottom vents seem to have a little more airflow.
- Quiet. Runs much more quietly than the previous models.
- Built in Wi-Fi supports 802.11 b/g/n. Mine connected flawlessly to my wireless router initially. I then changed it to work over Ethernet since I already had it wired.
- Additional USB ports. Five total - two in front, three in back. Easy to add additional drives.
- Optical audio port added for those not using HDMI but want the better audio fidelity.
- Hard drive is internal - helping make the design smaller.

Cons:
- Bottom vent, if unit used vertically, completely blocked and very warm. Doesn't make me feel good using it in this position with all of the heat problems of the previous builds.
- No HDMI cable included.
- No support for Blu-Ray. OK ... I know Microsoft doesn't want to cozy up to Sony and pay licensing fees, but this would have made the 360 a complete system and could have really crushed PS3 sales.
- Still lacking in support for some codecs for playing video files, but this is more of a software issue than hardware at this point.
- Runs hot. Not sure if the cooling is adequate but time will tell. With that said, my other A/V components can run just as hot but they never suffered the fate(s) of the original XBOX360s.
- Initial storage options are limited. 4GB or 250GB -- and expensive $ per gigabyte. Better off buying your own non-Microsoft external HD.

All in all, it's an excellent unit for under $200. Some of the general features of the 360: Compatible with all the old games as well as the new Kinect sensor (sold separately or bundled). It makes a very good media player that can play files from attached drives or your media server (PC) and has a Netflix application for streaming movies for those that have XBOX Live and a Netflix account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing console - you'll be glad you purchased, August 17, 2010
Chris (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
Let me just start off by saying I'm in love with the matte black that's on these 4gb arcades. I didn't want to get the 250gb glossy Xbox 360 slim because I've had annoying experiences with my PS3 and how fingerprints and dust really are drawn to the glossy surface. This, though, is perfect, especially if you're anal about things like that just like me.

This is the Xbox 360 that Microsoft should be proud of. It's everything that'll satisfy a new Xbox 360 purchaser, and if you've been holding out, now's your chance to see what all the buzz is about.

For $200, you're getting an amazing deal, especially when compared to the older "phat" models of the Xbox 360:

- Smaller system, hence the nickname "slim."

- Sleeker/sexier. I think this is pretty self explanatory. Just look at them both side by side.

- MUCH quieter. When Microsoft says "whisper quiet," they mean it. Especially if you install your games so the disk doesn't even spin.

- Extremely high reliability increase compared to the 5 year old Xenon phat models, and even the reliable Jasper phat models. This is because of the 45nm combined cpu/gpu die, which is dubbed the Valhalla chipset. Jasper model phats were renown for being reliable and breaking the dreaded 3RROD curse that plagued older models, because they used a 65nm chipset. This Valhalla chipset is even better. Not to mention that, just like a Mac or a PS3, the console will shutdown if overheating, preventing damage to the console. Mines is usually on 12+ hours a day and I haven't had any problems.

-Built in WiFi-N. Microsoft finally added wifi to their console, and to make up for it not being in the phat models, they went all out and made it wifi-N, which is the fastest wifi on any console available today. About time!

-4gb internal flash memory, which can hold about 4000 game saves. It's enough for some DLC here and there and maybe an arcade game or two, but the best part is that it's a major upgrade from the original phat arcades, which only had 256MB of flash memory. This is MORE then enough memory for a casual user, or a kid who only uses memory to save games. If, however, you want to do more like download a lot of things, you can buy a standalone 250gb HDD around next month and simply slide it in. Technically, you'll have 254gb of memory if you do it that way.

- 5 USB slots. If you have a random USB lying around the house, just stick it in for more memory! 4gb flash memory and two 16gb cheap flash drives = 36gb of memory!

- Kinect ready, meaning it has a port in the back solely for Kinect. If you have a phat Xbox 360, you'll need to plug Kinect into a power outlet on the wall.

- Touch sensitive buttons, which is a neat bonus.

All in all, for $200, this deal can't be beat for what it offers. Whether you're looking to buy an Xbox for Halo: Reach or Gears of War 3, or want to try out Dance Central, or are buying it for a younger person for such games as Kinectimals, you're in for a treat either way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft does not stand behind their products, November 23, 2012
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
Worked fine until I ran software update, then unit became a brick

Microsoft wants $100 to look at it even though their software broke it

Unbelievable

1.0 out of 5 stars love it but it broke, June 25, 2012
Matt C (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 4GB Console (Video Game)
Let me start off by saying that I love the new Xbox 360 slim. Its design is great and it has several new features. But I'm writing this to say that after about a year and two months of owning this console, (with occasional play) one day it suddenly stopped working. I can't play a single game because it will read it as a DVD. I tried about 30 games including a couple brand new ones. They are all read as DVDs. This was really upsetting because it is a great console but it stopped working for me. I researched a lot of different ways of trying to fix this problem but none of them worked. I am planning on calling Xbox soon and see if they can help me.

EDIT: I called Xbox support and they walked me through several methods that were supossed to fix my Xbox but none of them worked so they told me they could fix it for $129.99 + labor and shipping fees, but I'm just going to get a new one off Ebay. All I need is a new console since I have all the cables and 4 controllers and headsets.

Xbox 360 4GB Console
Xbox 360 4GB Console by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
$203.99