5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, Great Price
This is a must have with your 360 and a controller. And in black to match your Elite controllers.

You can plug it in via USB to your Xbox 360 and charge the included battery pack while you play your game.

Published on April 19, 2008 by Sick Daddy

2.0 out of 5 stars Very handy... For a few months
I enjoy the ease of use, it is convenient to just plug it in to recharge the batteries.
Published on June 1, 2009 by ErikPeter H. Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, Great Price, April 19, 2008
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)

You can also remove your battery pack, and plug the cable directly to your 360 for wired gaming (so your controller won't shut off while you are in the middle of that hired driver Forza race.

This charges via any USB port on your 360, your computer, your cable box, or your dog (if he has included USB hub).

I recommend buying one of these, then buying the Quick Charge Kit. Then you'll have 2 battery packs, the quick charge dock, and a USB charge cable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very handy... For a few months, June 1, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
Unfortunately two out of three of my battery packs died within 6 months of purchase, which means they are only usable while plugged in. As such, I have returned to using rechargeable Energizer batteries, which are cheaper and more reliable (as long as you keep a few extra pairs on hand in case you run out of juice mid-game).
If you're a gambler, you might as well pick up at least one Play & Charge kit for the sake of convenience, but keep in mind that it costs as much as four AA rechargeable batteries and a charger.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware: Some play and charge kits have problems actually charging the batteries, June 27, 2008
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
I bought my play and charge kit when I first bought the system. It worked wonderfully the first few times. You plug it in when you are playing and it will slowly charge the battery. However, after not playing for awhile, when I went to charge up the battery it wouldn't charge anymore. The controller was definitely connected to the 360 as I could play the games while connected.

However, the battery light indicator on the controller would glow red, to indicate it was charging, for about five minutes. Then it would turn green to signify that it charged the battery completely. I thought that perhaps it was charging, despite the light not being red, but that was not so.

I kept it plugged to the 360 while playing for a couple of hours, and then tried playing wirelessly. 5 minutes later, the controller died.

Ultimately, I think it is more of a problem with the batteries than the cord itself. I bought an extra battery to go with my white controller and it suffered the same problems.

I seem to be one of the few that have had this problem, and they are not too expensive, but be warned that this problem does occur.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within 6 months, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
Not sure if this is a common occurrence but mine broke within 6 months of use. I can still play with the controller while plugged in but it no longer charges the battery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broken after 6 months, May 7, 2009
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
I bought 2 of these, after about 6 months, one of the battery won't charge anymore, so it has to be plugged in all the time while playing. The other one's charging light doesn't work anymore, so you can't tell if it's charging. They both still work... but I'll have to get new ones soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good idea for hardcore gamers, November 26, 2007
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
I recently got the Xbox 360 elite, and knowing that I was going to be spending hours on it, I knew that some battery power was a necessity. I saw this, that comes with a battery and a cable - and at the price, I really couldn't say no. I was already going to get some rechargeable batteries for my controllers, and the fact that this is just a few more dollars with a battery, its definitely a good idea.

It does take a while to charge, though, and that's obviously because you are using the battery power while it is trying to replace it, but thats not a huge issue unless your gaming spot is usually not readily accessible with a cord attached to your controller. I like my wireless gaming area, so I decided to also buy the Quick Charge kit for 29.99, which also includes a battery. This way, I've got 2 batteries, one in the charger and one in the controller, and have the Play & Charge cord ready if I have a friend come over to play some Halo 3 or something with me and one of us starts to get drained on battery power. Good investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars priced reasonably, flawless, black, September 9, 2007
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
works. the battery lasts forever. charger recharges. price is right. half the price of the quick charge kit, only a few dollars more than 1 battery. includes a battery and allows you to play in case the battery runs dead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 5, 2011
Varick "Varick" (Amherst, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
My battery pack does not hold a charge long at all.
I Finally decided to get new rechargeable batteries after the originals I bought with the launch system wore out. A good 5 years. Those old batteries seemed to last "forever" (or it seems that long compared to these). These however need to be constantly hooked to the charge cable. Usually when buying official xbox merch you get what you pay for. Here I feel so disappointed. These are not worth the premium.
I feel that since we're close to the end of the xbox 360's lifespan that Microsoft is increasing the profit margin by lower in the quality. At least that's how I feel about this disparity between the original batteries and this refresh.
When I was buying these my brother told me that the nykos are cheap and hold a long charge. Maybe I'll try those if I don't go back to my interim solution of AA's.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must have" for 360 owners, October 31, 2008
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
I was having problems with my wireless controllers shutting off during games. After some troubleshooting, I found out that it was the AA batteries losing connection. When I bumped or shook the controller, it would turn off. Even the lightest tap from my ring would turn it off. My temporary solution to this was to remove the battery cover and then pull the springs up more so they would hold the batteries in tighter. This worked for a while, but now that doesn't seem to be doing the trick anymore.

My new solution was to buy the play & charge kit. Problem solved! The rechargeable battery packs don't use the AA battery springs so now I can tap and shake the controller as much as I want and it stays on. No more frustration controller disconnects for me. I'm going to buy the rechargeable batteries for all three of my controllers.

The only downside that I've seen so far is that the battery life isn't as long as two AA's. But it's really not much of a downside because it's so easy to just plug in the cable and let it charge while you play. Your Xbox will even finish charging the battery after you turn the 360 off so it'll be at full charge the next time you play. Very cool!

Overall, this is a great product and a must have for any Xbox 360 owner.

1.0 out of 5 stars No quality control at Microsoft, September 26, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit (Video Game)
I have purchased 2 of these play and charge kits this year - one from this vendor and one from Best Buy. Great idea. Within 2 months, each kit has failed. The batteries appear to be fine, but the cable is of poor quality and fails to charge.

Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit
Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit by Microsoft Software (Xbox 360)
$19.99 $14.99