Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Xbox 360 Black Play and Charge Kit
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 19, 2008
This is a must have with your 360 and a controller. And in black to match your Elite controllers.

You can plug it in via USB to your Xbox 360 and charge the included battery pack while you play your game.

You can also remove your battery pack, and plug the cable directly to your 360 for wired gaming (so your controller won't shut off while you are in the middle of that hired driver Forza race.

This charges via any USB port on your 360, your computer, your cable box, or your dog (if he has included USB hub).

I recommend buying one of these, then buying the Quick Charge Kit. Then you'll have 2 battery packs, the quick charge dock, and a USB charge cable.
1010 comments|202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2008
I bought my play and charge kit when I first bought the system. It worked wonderfully the first few times. You plug it in when you are playing and it will slowly charge the battery. However, after not playing for awhile, when I went to charge up the battery it wouldn't charge anymore. The controller was definitely connected to the 360 as I could play the games while connected.

However, the battery light indicator on the controller would glow red, to indicate it was charging, for about five minutes. Then it would turn green to signify that it charged the battery completely. I thought that perhaps it was charging, despite the light not being red, but that was not so.

I kept it plugged to the 360 while playing for a couple of hours, and then tried playing wirelessly. 5 minutes later, the controller died.

Ultimately, I think it is more of a problem with the batteries than the cord itself. I bought an extra battery to go with my white controller and it suffered the same problems.

I seem to be one of the few that have had this problem, and they are not too expensive, but be warned that this problem does occur.
66 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2009
I enjoy the ease of use, it is convenient to just plug it in to recharge the batteries.
Unfortunately two out of three of my battery packs died within 6 months of purchase, which means they are only usable while plugged in. As such, I have returned to using rechargeable Energizer batteries, which are cheaper and more reliable (as long as you keep a few extra pairs on hand in case you run out of juice mid-game).
If you're a gambler, you might as well pick up at least one Play & Charge kit for the sake of convenience, but keep in mind that it costs as much as four AA rechargeable batteries and a charger.
88 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2012
Not sure if this is a common occurrence but mine broke within 6 months of use. I can still play with the controller while plugged in but it no longer charges the battery.
on September 26, 2011
I have purchased 2 of these play and charge kits this year - one from this vendor and one from Best Buy. Great idea. Within 2 months, each kit has failed. The batteries appear to be fine, but the cable is of poor quality and fails to charge.
on May 7, 2009
I bought 2 of these, after about 6 months, one of the battery won't charge anymore, so it has to be plugged in all the time while playing. The other one's charging light doesn't work anymore, so you can't tell if it's charging. They both still work... but I'll have to get new ones soon.
on November 23, 2013
The battery pack probably worked once upon a time, but no longer.

As it has been years since the 360 came out, these battery packs are no longer in active production, so the battery on these is in horrible condition, barely holding a charge for more than an hour.

Don't buy them.
on June 1, 2014
It turns out these NEW Microsoft USB Play and Charge Kit (black) when used with the Microsoft Wireless Elite (black) MUST be plugged into the Xbox 360 Elite aka Holiday Edition. Period.

You can NOT use external USB power adapters, NO multi-port USB chargers, NOT EVEN YOUR COMPUTER WILL WORK. All of the reviews/forums you see on the internet about this kit working with those types of non-Xbox360 USB charging devices are all talking about the OLD VERSION of this kit that used to work. It is NOT compatible anymore!

Before you disregard this review as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, let me prove it to you: I tested with every combination of: FOUR (4) of the Play and Charge Kits, TWO (2) brands of Laptops MacBookPro and SonyVaioFlip, FOUR (4) brands of USB multiport wall outlet adapter chargers both with 500ma (0.5amp) all the way up to 2400ma (2.4amp) of 5volt USB output power. NONE of those worked... NOTHING makes the charging light turn on these, except the Xbox 360 elite! To be clear; All of this equipment is brand new from a post-Christmas 2013 holiday sale, and this annoying behavior is happening on ALL of them.

Issues for you to consider:

1. It's way too annoying to have to drag cables all the way across the room to the xbox360 and have these cables plugged into the console, we really wanted to just have the cables plugged into the wall outlet USB multiport chargers right next to our couch. NOPE, NO CAN DO.

2. We REALLY wanted to charge these wireless controllers at night in the USB wall adapter WHILE THE XBOX360 IS TURNED OFF - WHICH IS ALSO TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

3. If the xbox360 goes to sleep - which it does constantly in an effort to save power - THE CHARGING LIGHTS ON THE CONTROLLERS ALSO GO OUT AND THEY STOP CHARGING.

UPDATE 1/25/2015:

In a very interesting twist of fate, I have increased my rating from 1-star to 3-stars, for the following reasons;

1. Even though the included Cable in this Kit has the drawbacks mentioned above, you can now buy this kit at a discount to the point that it might be worth getting it if the price is right - just for the official high-quality Microsoft battery that's included.

2. After over a year of constantly-using our Energizer xbox360 controller battery packs, 1 of 4 now won't hold a charge very long. So, we tried in vein for days to find a quality replacement from either Energizer or Microsoft to no avail.

3. I discovered that Microsoft and Energizer both seem to be starting to phase-out aka discontinue their high-quality longer-lasting Xbox360 wireless controller batteries for the Xbox One versions. I say this because the prices are going UP and they're getting harder and harder to FIND.

So, Don't Laugh, but yes... over a year after returning this kit, and being unable to find an Energizer replacement battery, we've re-purchased this kit on super-sale JUST for the quality official Microsoft battery pack - we got it cheaper than the battery used to be by itself!

Interestingly, we're charging this Microsoft battery in our official Xbox 360 controller with our Energizer Xbox 360 Front-Mounting Wireless Controller Charger Station. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS A BAD IDEA OR NOT. That said, so far in my situation, this Microsoft battery APPEARS to be charging okay I'm guessing because Energizer doesn't use the xbox360 controller's rear-cable but instead uses the xbox360 controller's front-mounting connector.

If you're curious, we've put the cable from this kit in our spare parts drawer for emergency use and don't ever use it.

The bottom line: Quality, long-lasting xbox 360 wireless controller batteries (like the one in this kit) seem to be getting more expensive and harder to find, so you might want to buy a spare if you plan on keeping your x360..........
on June 5, 2011
My battery pack does not hold a charge long at all.
I Finally decided to get new rechargeable batteries after the originals I bought with the launch system wore out. A good 5 years. Those old batteries seemed to last "forever" (or it seems that long compared to these). These however need to be constantly hooked to the charge cable. Usually when buying official xbox merch you get what you pay for. Here I feel so disappointed. These are not worth the premium.
I feel that since we're close to the end of the xbox 360's lifespan that Microsoft is increasing the profit margin by lower in the quality. At least that's how I feel about this disparity between the original batteries and this refresh.
When I was buying these my brother told me that the nykos are cheap and hold a long charge. Maybe I'll try those if I don't go back to my interim solution of AA's.
on November 26, 2007
I recently got the Xbox 360 elite, and knowing that I was going to be spending hours on it, I knew that some battery power was a necessity. I saw this, that comes with a battery and a cable - and at the price, I really couldn't say no. I was already going to get some rechargeable batteries for my controllers, and the fact that this is just a few more dollars with a battery, its definitely a good idea.

It does take a while to charge, though, and that's obviously because you are using the battery power while it is trying to replace it, but thats not a huge issue unless your gaming spot is usually not readily accessible with a cord attached to your controller. I like my wireless gaming area, so I decided to also buy the Quick Charge kit for 29.99, which also includes a battery. This way, I've got 2 batteries, one in the charger and one in the controller, and have the Play & Charge cord ready if I have a friend come over to play some Halo 3 or something with me and one of us starts to get drained on battery power. Good investment!