on September 15, 2010
UPDATE:
There is a NEWER cable that looks like it can transfer data from/to BOTH old-style OR Xbox360 "Slim" Hard Drives. Search for "Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable" and the cable looks black instead of gray. It also has what looks like an added SATA connector for Slim style hard drives. Last I checked, that new product is here:
Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable

------

I received the Xbox360 Data Transfer Cable and used it to transfer all my data from my Xbox360 Elite console to my Xbox360 Halo Reach "Slim" console.

Technically you are connecting ONLY the detached hard drive from your former console, hooking it up with this transfer cable, then connecting the other end to a USB port of the console you want to transfer data to.

The cable comes in a box that is branded/designed the way all the new Xbox360 peripherals and games are showing up this year (those green "waves" and such).

The process is very straightforward:

(I did this while the Xbox360 Slim was already on, sitting idle in the 360 dashboard):

1. Connect one specific end of the cable to the detached, non-slim 360 hard drive.
2. Connect other USB end to any available USB port in the slim system (I plugged it into one of the two front ports)
3. A prompt will appear, asking if you want to transfer TO or FROM the console.
4. You can then individually select items to move, or move everything.

One thing to note is that it transferred all my content to the Xbox360 Slim EXCEPT for games that were installed to the HDD (that is, disc games I installed to the HDD before for quicker access times). Not a big deal and it transferred everything else (some 800+ files) without incident.

Remember that if you transfer data you still may have to "transfer licenses" - if you don't, then some content (such as downloaded XBLA games or other downloaded content) may not be playable if you aren't online and signed into Xbox Live. This isn't a big deal for me because I am always online when the Xbox is on. Do a google search for "xbox360 license transfer" and one of the first pages should be a link to the Microsoft page on the matter. This will move the actual 'licenses' over as well, allowing you to play your downloaded/purchased Xbox Live content when you are not signed on to the net. Additional note: you can only transfer licenses ONCE per year, technically. Then you just have to sit tight, or take it up with Microsoft via phone support (I can't vouch for having done the latter :)

Like other reviewers say, once you're done with it... well that's it :( I'll be holding onto mine as I have friends transitioning their data from one console to another. That said, save money by just pitching in for one then and using it amongst your 360-owning friends :)
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2010
Verified Purchase
I purchased this product as I was upgrading from my old 20 GB pro to the new 250 GB slim. I decided on the cable to transfer over everything instead of using memory sticks as I wanted to get the licenses for my DLC transferred over as well.

Setup was a snap as all you need to do is place the old hard drive on one end of the cable and plug the other end into a 360 with the new hard drive, then follow the prompts that come up.

It took only about 7-8 minutes for all the data to be transferred over, and everything came over intact. I did not even need to recover any account profiles that were on the old hard drive.

All in all, I was very satisfied with the results and now intend to see how long it will take to fill up my new hard drive.
on August 14, 2010
Verified Purchase
I Bought this July 14 2010 The shipping was incredibly fast. I needed this to transfer my information from my old xbox to the new xbox and this cable was great it tranfered all my information.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2013
Things to beware of:
-Amazon fulfilled orders of third party products have the same listing for multiple third party sellers that sell the "same" product, but not all of them adhere to the branding on the product listing. Able Seller in particular peddled a cheap Chinese knockoff instead of the official Microsoft product listed.
-Packaging was in a very dubious looking and obviously fake, non-Microsoft branded box that included a "Lifetime Warranty" logo with no details about a manufacturer or warranty information inside or out.
-Included a dubious "PC Driver" mini-CD also not consistent with Microsoft branding. Real Microsoft HD Transfer Cables do not need drivers for use with Xbox 360.
-Microsoft inset logo and data-plate sticker on the actual product, though convincing, also don't hold up when compared to the real thing (inset logo doesn't have as much fine detail as the real thing).

Do not use this product to attempt to transfer data from a Microsoft HD to a Xbox 360 as it will recognize your HD as an unformatted USB storage device and will want to format it.

And in closing, selling bootleg knockoffs as official branded products is illegal. Shame on Able Seller, but even more shame on Amazon who is just as liable for hosting the erroneous product description. I live near Microsoft Corp. HQ and I'm tempted to report this rather than return the product....
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2010
Verified Purchase
This does exactly what it says it does, it transfers data from an Xbox hard drive to a different Xbox. It was easy to use, took about 10 minutes to complete, and I had no problems transferring anything. Of course, once you are done, you really do not have a use for this cable any longer...once the data has finished transferring, unless you get another new 360, there is nothing you can do with it. So go halfsies with a friend, because 20 bucks for a 10 minute process is a bit maddening. Overall, it really does exactly what it says, quickly and easily.
on March 27, 2011
Verified Purchase
My son just got the Xbox 360 Slim. He was a little disappointed that he could not transfer his data from his old Xbox 360 to the new Xbox 360. So I researched about transferring data and found this cable on Amazon. The price was great and it was OEM product which I am a big fan on. My son said the transfer was simple and it did not take him much time to transfer all his data. Without this cable my son would not have been able to transfer his data from the old Xbox 360, there might be other was but with me not at the house this was the simplest.
on September 8, 2010
The Data Transfer cable sounds like a great thing to have, and it does work. Unfortunately, it is pretty limited in usefulness. The only people who really get a benefit out of this, are people with a ton of DLC. Also, you are only likely to use it one time. It isn't very likely that you will be transferring your content back and forth between Xboxes. Also, it only copies over the data. You still have to manually transfer the licenses for any of your DLC by either going to the [...] support site, or calling Microsoft. Not that it is a difficult process. Online, it takes less than 5 minutes. You still have to re-download your DLC, but each item only takes a couple seconds, because it isn't redownloading the stuff, just the licenses associated with it.

As far as the kit itself, as I said, it works correctly and pretty intuitively. You can either tell it to copy everything, or manually select just the things you want to copy over. Restoring it onto the target Xbox is just as easy. The kit is well constructed, and I'm sure it will last me for a long time, or at least until after I upgrade my second Xbox.

I know that there are some unofficial uses for this kit, which might make this worthwhile for more people, but in general, I wouldn't bother with this kit. Just redownload your DLC and be done with it. Yes it may take longer depending on your internet connection, but you end up saving yourself the cost of this kit. If you have a bunch of DLC (in my case, all of the Fallout 3 DLC plus hundreds of Rock Band and Guitar Hero tracks), and you don't mind spending a few bucks to save your self some time, then go for it.

For everyone else, I wouldn't bother.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
You don't need to buy the $20 "newer version" transfer cable if you are moving data from the older (fat) Xbox 360 hard drive to a new (slim) Xbox 360 console. You don't even need to insert the CD. Just use the transfer cable to connect the old (fat) hard drive to the USB port of the new console, and follow the onscreen prompts. Remember, "Transfer to Console".
The only problem is that it worked so well, it is now useless because I will never use it again.
on September 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
NOTE - This data cable is for use with the original Xbox 360 and Xbox 360 Elite hard drives only. If you're transferring data between an original Xbox to an Elite hard drive or an original Xbox/Elite to the Xbox 360 Slim, this cable can be used.
This cable cannot be used to transfer data between Xbox 360 Slims or newer consoles.

As the title of my review suggests, I doubt the item was "new." The Xbox 360 Data Transfer Cable was shipped in a plain cardboard box with no Microsoft/Xbox 360 logos anywhere on the exterior which, as anyone that uses a MS and/or Xbox product, is very unusual. Inside the small cardboard box were an instruction booklet, a CD and the data cable. Beyond that, the cable worked very well. It took a few tries to get my new Xbox 360 to recognize the data on the old hard drive but after a couple of starts and stops, the data transfer started. (By "starts" and "stops" I mean that the data would appear on the screen with values and then the values would zero out - Not sure why this happened). It took about three to four hours and not everything was transferred but that was because of Digital Rights Licenses. All in all, despite not being new in my opinion, the Xbox 360 Data Transfer Cable did what it was supposed to do and did it well. Also, the price being under $10.00 doesn't hurt either.
on March 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
Product arrived on-time and in factory-sealed packaging.

Although there are alternative ways to transfer data from a 1st gen hard drive to a Slim one, I chose the safe route and picked up this cable to do the job. 10 minutes after connection and the new Slim 250GB was loaded up without a hitch.

Now, I just gotta hunt down some people who might have a use for this thing... into the cable collection you go!