Xbox 360 Elite and RROD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 5, 2008 6:02:00 PM PST
Is it true that the Xbox 360 elite does not RROD? I ask only because a friend of mine is thinking about purchasing one. Me personally I have a PS3, but I am thinking about getting an Xbox or a Wii and am interested in what might be said or what you guys might know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 6:37:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2008 8:11:13 PM PST
D. Glover says:
Honestly, some Elites have died, the numbers aren't in for the newer 65nm (Falcon) chip models, some people will tell you they have died, i don't know the truth, maybe it's the owner, maybe it's the hardware on the newer Elites. I'm a happy Xbox 360 owner, I have a Wii and PS3 also, I use my 360 Premium (non-hdmi) the most, just don't be surprised if it does die. I'm on my second... I'd like to think that all the newer hdmi out premiums and 65nm Elites are fault free but who knows. Anyway goodluck, sorry I can't be much help. Hopefully this thread stays civil. I'm sure it won't.

My point I guess, is who knows, I'm sure many people will claim they know someone whose Elite died on them. And the majority of those making the claim will own PS3s and generally dislike the Xbox 360. And a few might be true...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 1:54:52 AM PST
Demonizer says:
My Elite was Bullet Proof Until Last Night. I was playing Pacman CE and just finsihed a 10min. game, backed out of Arcade and got a Loud Static Noise and then the RROD!! I have been through a few (4) Xbox 360's with different failures but never the RROD. I am SOOO Disappointed as this 360(Elite) ran by far the BEST out of all of them and now it's rendered useless!! I tried a couple of things to get it running but it still gave me a Black Screen after a Few Minutes.

Sorry to say but I had planned on getting a PS3 this year and now my mind has been made up for me ALOT sooner than expected!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 6:55:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2008 6:55:54 AM PST
Does Sony pay you by check? Or Paypal?

"Sorry to say but I had planned on getting a PS3 this year and now my mind has been made up for me ALOT sooner than expected!" This kinda gives it away. Shill.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 7:52:01 AM PST
What is RROD? Is that the Red Ring of Death? I've heard of the Red Ring of Death, but I don't know what it is? Can someone elaborate for me?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 9:04:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2008 9:21:03 AM PST
D. Glover says:
Around the 360 power button are 4 quadrants that light up, usually green, to correspond with which controller is hooked up (up to 4). But when you get what MSFT call a general hardware failure, 3 of those quadrants will light up red (when all 4 light up red, that's actually an AV issue, and possible power). Those three red lights are now known as the Ring of Death (though not a true ring). It's a problem that MSFT is aware of and has addressed (addressed, not 100 percent solved?), that said all 360s have a 3 year warranty in regards to the three red light issues...

Demonizer, I see on the other post your Elite was a 90nm model, not a falcon. And I think those 90nm Elites still had problems... Like I said before "I'd like to think that all the newer hdmi out premiums and 65nm Elites are fault free but who knows." Obviously Mogwai had issues with your last line. I understand why, as that seems to be the nature of the boards and not your fault. You even hear of PS3s failing, and that comes from 360 fans... I would like to hear about Elite owners whose Elites have died, but can't wait to get their replacement back 'cause they love playing the exclusives and other games with their Xbox Live friends...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 9:49:18 AM PST
OregonBay says:
The RROD issue is an ongoing one, it happens on all of the systems. It has been said that the failure occurs due to the heat levels in the system and that the newer Falcon chipset reduces that. I'm not 100% sure that heat levels are the entire problem.My X360 (Premium, and not Falcon) has failed 4 times and yet I don't notice it running that hot. Even though it does run hotter than my PS3 or Wii (the latter to be expected). The heat levels just do not seem to be "that hot" that it would cause the system to fail, I've had computers that ran hot and did not fail four times in a few years.Even if the newer Falcon machines have fewer failures, it's hard to tell which machine you are getting from the store. There are TONS of X360's on store shelves and in warehouses that have the older chipset. If you are going to buy one, I would recommend doing your research to make sure you get the newest box possible so failure whilst not completely eliminated MAY be reduced to a minimum possibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 11:12:58 AM PST
D. Glover says:
One of the things I heard was the chip runs hot and therefore melts/disrupts some of the elements around it, other internal stuff making it unstable. What I've noticed is that the PS3 heat that comes out is hotter and the PS3 remains cooler, where as though the 360 doesn't vent as hot, the whole console is a little warm... If you have you 360 horizontal and you touch the bottom center that's the warmest part, and I think where the chipset is. I actually have mine sitting on clear water bottle caps to help the air flow (it really doesn't look that bad)...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 6:31:16 PM PST
WolfPup says:
The Elite is the EXACT SAME HARDWARE as the regular and Arcade models. It is *NOT* any more or less reliable than the other two models. There's no need to spend more money on it in an attempt to get a more reliable model.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 6:58:24 PM PST
D. Glover says:
The original elite was technically the same hardware, but the board was setup slightly different, that said, a 65nm Elite and a 65nm Premium/Arcade with Hdmi out should be identical.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 7:38:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2008 7:39:17 PM PST
guys you're still not helping me out here. my friend is going to make his decision soon, and i don't want him to waste his money. i have read about the 65nm version of the elite and am impressed by the tech involved. however my issue is that it seems msft has shafted the consumer, and yes i am a ps3 owner but i am for a reason. i am not trying to persuade my friend josh to get a ps3 only to get a system that wont cause him too many problems. too many of my other friends have had problems with xbox 360s and that pisses me off. can u guys give a likelihood of failure or what your experience were? how did msft treat you when you said you had problems? that sort of thing, thanks guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 7:59:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2008 8:33:59 PM PST
D. Glover says:
Ryan, I'm saying I don't know the failure stats of a newer model 65nm Elite. And everything I have ever heard seems to be suspect, though i'm sure the original elites (90nm) did have hardware failures as they were a similar build to the premium. When my original premium died I called up MSFT and told them, they sent me a return box and after they received it (2 day shipping) they sent me a factory refurb, I was scared at first, but it was in perfect condition and was newer than my original. Within 2 weeks I had the replacement from the initial call. I was treated fine.

I have a PS3, I don't use it much, but that's me. Ask yourself what games does the Xbox have that makes you want it. What will make you put down your PS3 controller and pick up the 360 one? I really believe that once you have a PS3, and then buy a 360, you probably won't be impressed from a game point of view, and vice versa if you have a 360 first then buy a PS3 (that's what happened to me)...

When people have asked me which is better between the PS3 and Xbox from a pure gaming point of view, I always say I prefer my 360 but the PS3 is more reliable, then I ask what console do their friends have if they intend to play online...

Tell Josh to buy a 40 gig PS3 for $399 and a copy of Call of Duty 4, and he can play with you... DONE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 9:08:05 PM PST
WolfPup says:
"D. Glover says:
The original elite was technically the same hardware, but the board was setup slightly different, that said, a 65nm Elite and a 65nm Premium/Arcade with Hdmi out should be identical."

Right, the original Elite got the Zephyr hardware before the other models did, but they then all switched to Zephyrs, then all switched to Falcons. They're all equally reliable (or not) now.

Ryan, as D. Glover says, no one knows what the failure rate on the new units is going to be. Analysts have pegged the pre-Falcon units at a 33% failure rate, but the Falcons are too new to know for sure. We've already heard of some dead Falcons, but it's just too soon to know for sure. Microsoft's claimed they've fixed it before when they hadn't, but this time they've hacked the heatsync again as well as finally migrated to 65 and 85nm chips.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 9:18:25 AM PST
All X360s still get the RROD. The only ones saying it doesn't are fanboys. Look around the web for yourself, the problem is still out there for all X360s.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 8:04:40 AM PST
BM3 says:
I have an Elite (bought for Xmas) and have been babying it due to the fear of RROD, but now I have decided to just play it hard and see what happens. If it is going to RROD, I would prefer it happen during the warranty period. Although, I have heard alot about the RROD, the games for the 360 are so good, it seems worth the risk for now until the PS3 gets more good games released. COD4 rocks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 9:24:13 PM PST
Jason J says:
He did go through 4 broken down units.

I'm pretty sure that any sane consumer would be smart enough at that point to realize that product is a lemon.

Your just as fanboy that is in denial. Mostly likely your one of the very few that actually has received a system that hasn't acted up. Therefore you suddenly like to think that because "yours" works that all of them do. Sadly that is alot of hogwash.

Like it or not. Not all people are "paid" off by Sony as many Xbots (Xbox fanboys that follow the system like mindless drones thus the name) always seem to be claiming. To be honest most of those same people are the same ones that always like to tell you they knew exactly what happened. I highly doubt that people like Mogwai has been around to see any of these things happen first hand. Even though he seems to suggest that he has been.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 10:10:29 PM PST
Wes W. says:
Even if the 360 does RROD if you didnt pry it open and void the warranty you'd have an extended warranty for the high failure rates of past models. The elite has a lesser failure rate I know of a person personally who had it and microsoft replaced the console free of charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 11:49:57 AM PST
A. Parker says:
Not a Sony Fanboy, I loved the original XBOX and have waited for the Falcon chips. After searching 2 months straight for a Falcon, I found an Elite and spent the wad after Thanksgiving. Not even 6 weeks later it froze and would not unfreeze after 40+ restarts. Called and went through the checklist and the dude says oh yeah, we have to send it in. No way, $480 (with tax) and the box locks up. It was confirmed with 175 Watts, and visual inspection as a Falcon (no heat pipe and 2 inductors). It did not get hot and did not RROD, but it would not get past the XBOX 360 logo so just as useless! The Falcon is not the answer either, obviously!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 8:59:34 AM PST
I've seen photo evidence of the Falcon chip 360 red ringing.

Let us be clear though: RROD is a general hardware fault. It could be caused by damage in transit, it could be caused by dropping, it could be caused by poor ventilation.

No doubt the Falcon has 'improved' matters, but there aren't any numbers to say whether it is the answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2008 9:07:35 AM PDT
I am waiting on my Elite to come back from Microsoft for RROD.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 9:48:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2008 9:55:47 AM PDT
Sent Seven says:
I purchased my Xbox 360 Elite from Amazon.com around February. It's now September, and I've had no problems with it. I usually play with it between three to six hours a day on weekdays, and for up to ten hours in a single session on weekends. I have it in a well-ventilated area and dust it - while it's turned off - at least once a week, to make sure that all the vents are breathing optimally.

So far my experience has been very good.

As for the debate regarding purchasing an Xbox 360 vs a Wii, I would recommend that you take into consideration whether or not you have friends who own Xbox 360s. If you do, the Xbox 360 will probably be a lot of fun. If you don't, then I would recommend going with a Wii, especially since you said you already own a PS3. The Xbox 360 will only give you access to a handful of games that you won't be able to play on the PS3, whereas the Wii will open up an entirely new library of games that you would never be able to play otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2008 3:45:43 PM PDT
well i can say it just depens but just a few days ago my elite just got the red ring so what i can say is that it all depends or how many hours a day your on it that could also factor in with the red rings as well

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2008 12:57:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2008 12:57:34 PM PDT
C. Tanner says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 12:05:20 PM PDT
The Reviewer says:
I actually did have my 360 RROD just last weekend. I've had it for more than two years though, so I'm pretty happy it lasted that long. I'm not sending it in because the guy at Microsoft said that it would be 99$ for the repair and, with shipping, that's almost the cost of the Arcade system (200 dollars). Would you guys say I should go with the Arcade or shell out the extra 200 for the Elite and get a nice, long warranty at Best Buy?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2008 12:08:48 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Might almost be worth buying the regular or "Elite" units just for the larger hard drives, but otherwise you could just get an arcade and use your current drive, then transfer stuff to a 120GB drive when needed (or wait and see if the prices on that drop or a larger unit comes out).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Jan 5, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox 360 Arcade [Old Version]
Xbox 360 Arcade [Old Version] by Microsoft (Xbox 360)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (79)