5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed Jasper, Free RE5 and SSF2THDR
First of all, the important details for people wanting the tech specs:

(1) Yes, this is Jasper, which is a lower power (energy usage, not processing power) revision of Xbox 360 that was released late last year for Arcade models. This seems to be the first Elite range with the new, more efficient chips.

(2) It does NOT appear to have the 256MB...
Published on March 14, 2009 by poddie

3.0 out of 5 stars Jasper version is still a constant contributor of noise pollution.
Most details about the Resident Evil unit have been covered by previous reviews so I'll skip that and discuss the noise factor issue. I replaced my RROD 2006 model 360 for this one and can say that this Jasper unit is as loud if not louder than the model it replaced. The fans are just as noisy. Perhaps the machine will not overheat as easily (only time will prove that...
Published on April 4, 2009 by D. Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed Jasper, Free RE5 and SSF2THDR, March 14, 2009
poddie (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
First of all, the important details for people wanting the tech specs:

(2) It does NOT appear to have the 256MB on-board Flash Ram. Many theorized that MS would include this on Jasper Elites (and Pros) so that they wouldn't have to have two different motherboards. This does not appear to be the case though. This has little effect on the usage of the system though... in fact, I prefer it as I have no need for the extra storage device to always show up when downloading and copying (I use two external memory units as is for profile portability, which wouldn't be provided by internal flash RAM anyway).

This is IMO the best way to go for an Xbox 360 right now, especially if you have any interest in Resident Evil 5 (a full copy of which is included with this system, including the game case). It also comes with a free downloadable copy of Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, which is a great game (though I already own a copy of it). Capcom is the best!

The system and controller are a nice shade of red. The original photos made it look a bit bright and gaudy, but the actual unit seems much more subdued and a bit darker shade. I don't have the previously released red controller, but this looks like the same shade of red to me.

Runs cooler and quieter than any of my other three Xboxes (2 Zephyrs and 1 Falcon, FYI only 1 RROD so far for me and it was the Falcon!).

I highly recommend the Elite because the 120GB drive is big enough that you can fully install all of your games rather than playing them off the discs. This is much quieter while playing (360s spin the DVD drive so fast that it gets quite loud) and a bit faster, too.

The Arcade is a great value, but I guarantee once you try installing games to HD you will wish you could do it for them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled!, May 29, 2009
Just me "hroark314" (Arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
Don't be fooled by the Amazon message that "There is a newer version of this item." The "newer" version is the Game of the Year edition which actually comes with an older console. These older consoles don't contain the new Jasper chip. I just received the Resident Evil elite console in the mail today and the console is only 4 months old and it does contain a Jasper chip. By contrast, the Game of the Year editions I have seen are as much as 1 year old and have all contained either Falcon or Zephyr chips. On a related note, all of the systems I have seen packaged with Kung Fu Panda and Indiana Jones have also contained Falcons.

I'm sure a lot of folks probably think that the difference between Jaspers and Falcons only matters to hard-core gaming geeks, but I think it matters a little more than many people realize. The Xbox 360 has been plagued with hardware defects ever since it was released. Famously, the system is known for over-heating and for a system error colorfully called "The Red Ring of Death." Supposedly, the Jasper chip solves these problems. For my money, that makes this package the best currently on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rage in your veins? This console will fit your style for sure!, March 13, 2009
Dmitry Kristal (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Length:: 1:45 Mins

Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console Out Of The Box!
This video was made minutes after I purchased this console.

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red/Black Console, May 13, 2009
iHyphy (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
This is the first official release of the "Jasper" Elites and all i can say from having this xbox for 60 days now it runs hella nice! when compared side by side with my black xbox elite, the resident evil version runs quieter, uses less energy and doesn't create as much heat! the power supply uses 150 watts and 12.1 amps and i can tell you from experience i put the box to a good 8 hour session several times and my resident evil jasper elite doesn't even sound or feel like its been running at all...and while i ran my black elite falcon box it would be hot and sound like an oscillating fan (exaggerating to a degree).

you can't beat the price though its an elite and it comes with resident evil 5 for free! which is by the way an awesome game..and as an added bonus it comes with codes for streetfighter 2 hd remix for free and others as well. you get all the same stuff as a regular elite except these are the jasper xbox's and its all red with black. the 120 hdd is black and chrome the front is mixed with black and chrome and the controllers are black and red. as of now the only wireless accessories you can buy for it in red and black are the controllers with the play and charge kit, you cant buy the play and charge kit by its self and you can't buy the controller by its self only the package with both together. which kind of sucks because the elite comes with a wireless red and black controller so to get the red play and charge kit for it you will need to pay extra money for the one that has the controller with it..so i got two controller with only one play and charge kit.

on the other hand if your not a huge resident evil fan and you aren't taken away with the colors go with the regular black xbox elite because now they come with fable 2 and halo 3 for free which are both game of the year titles and soon will be getting the platinum hits collection. but be aware that the new black xbox elites offering fable 2 and halo 3 for free aren't jasper elites, they are in fact older model xbox's repackaged in newer factory wrapping.

***20 June 2009 Update***
decided to add an update to my review on this product. after a month of using this xbox i can still say i would give this 5 stars again and again and again! this xbox runs so smooth and flawless and at least appears and seems like the perfect xbox to date! no flaws, no bugs, no red ring of deaths, nothing!

anyways, i know you can buy other elites that now come with 2 game of the year titles like halo 3 and fable 2 which by the way are awesome games, but don't just buy a system off of the freebies...resident evil 5, halo 3 and fable 2 are all great games but trust me buy this system because its the latest and greatest xbox...the jasper elites like said before still amaze me how it doesn't even sound like its on compared to the others..i can run it non stop and my xbox and power supply have never gotten hot in fact my ac adapter was even cold to touch in my washington state environment..

keep in mind though they haven't released any accessories that coordinate well or at all with this color scheme. the closest thing as of right now is the black headset (which it comes with) and the black play and charge kit...but if you want a red play and charge kit you will have to buy the one that comes with a controller as well..which sucks because if you only want the play and charge you have to cough up another $30 to get the one with a controller as well..

the wireless headset, the qwerty text pad, wireless network adapter, and etc still only come in white color and i dont see microsoft changing that except in some cases they have released halo 3 versions of the wireless headset.

if your debating on whether you should go with the arcade version, the pro version or elite...then let me school you a bit, since the only thing that might opt you to go with the other versions is price then look at this way...

the arcade version has no hdmi cable or input/output (and it can't be added later), it has no hard drive and hard drives can run you up to $120, the pro version has a 60 gig hard drive and it does come with the hdmi input/output but no hdmi cable, but if your going to get one of those why not just spend a little extra money to get twice the hard drive space, better color schemes, cool free games, hdmi cable and last but not least the Jasper units? so go with the elite its the best bang for your buck

i would 100% recommend this and if i had to over and over again i would purchase this product everytime

5.0 out of 5 stars if on the fence--Now is the TIME to buy, April 12, 2009
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
PROS: lightweight. Fast plugin connections, good media type support, plug into a jack on the router-- on the internet. RUGGED sturdy controller
CONS: text input slow with controller. Controller sticks cannot be remapped or changed unless specifically game supported

First of all, I wish to thank sMakTard89, gEEpPo01 and the thousands, perhaps millions of others who beta tested this product through its zephyr and falcon chipsets, sending it in multiple times for service after it failed. Special thanks to the guy who bought his box off of Ebay for $1200 after its original owner waited all night in line and bought it then promptly placed it online for auction.

Now, in its Jasper chipset, designed to run cooler, and, knock on mahogany, the Xbox 360 should be less prone to breakdowns. I decided to jump in and make a purchase because it came with a game I might be actually interested in playing.

The fact it could play .avi's, DVD video and Netflix streaming was certainly a deal sealer as I do not think the Playstation or WII had all these capabilities.

I quickly set it up and the first thing to try was the Resident Evil game, as I heard a few people had a problem getting the drive to read it. No problem, it loaded, it wanted to play. My problem was in trying to figure out how to get it off the screen and install it to the hard-drive. I set that aside and decided to try and play a chapter instead. Stunning graphics, every year they get better and better with that part of it. After the cutscenes, it came my turn to do something in the game. Ugh, as a longtime computer gamer with vast experience with the keyboard, mouse and assorted controllers, the Xbox sturdy gamepad with its movement and camera thumbstick will take some getting used to. After 14 minutes of trying to get my drunken sailor of a guy to walk over to the meat market without going zen with the sky or moored in the mud, and after bumping into every post, pail and stray goon with a machete in sight, I moved on to something else (maybe Kung Fu Panda might not have been such a bad game to start with after all).

I had a movie on a thumbdrive and after a moment, located the USB ports behind the springdoor (cute). I found the Dashboard selections to play it. However, a message indicated I would have to be signed into Xbox live in order to get updates; prevented its immediate playback. Now was as good a time as any to activate my Xbox Gold card for Netflix steaming use; the thing downloaded, updated and the .avi could play. Wonderfully, the Xbox 360 could pause the movie without it ever timing out. My entertainment center's DVD player blanks out after a pause of three minutes and worse, on an .avi or mepg file, it will quit altogether requiring a cue it up from the very beginning and fast forward to the spot it was previously at. The Xbox, however, will remained paused there and though my experience is limited, I have not seen it blank out yet. Additionally, options are present which will allow skipping and rewinding with far more control than that of my entertainment center, ESPECIALLY with .avi files.

The Netflix streaming went rather well, and after a disappointing download from Xbox live for a free Resident Evil movie 2008 (it is NOT the movie only the film clips from cutscenes in the game itself), I streamed in the REAL movie from Netflix (Resident Evil Extinction). As of now, I have far logged more movie than game time, but, that could change.

Now all that needs doing is try to figure out how come the get the media from my computer portion is not working and get longer audio cables to extend and use the entertainment center speakers instead of the Tv's.

A worthwhile purchase(at 399.00, sorry beach).
-----------
Edits

After using the unit for around a week, I can go into a few more things:

The red color is the shade of those red audio cable ends.

The noise is not noticeable, or at least it does not seem any more obnoxious than any other thing in the living room: computer, refrigerator, wind tunnel fan. Amongst the three, I have to look to see if the Xbox 360 is even on. However, when compared to my shelf of books and pile of old tractor parts, it is definitely louder, so there might be something to other customers' concerns about Xbox noise. Regardless, the sound of growling monsters and screaming women being shot by AGM type 39 blast cannons will not go well in a library setting.

It seems the controller issue regarding moving my guy around, is not my problem alone. Internet searches have revealed many people would like to swap the functions of the left and right thumbstick. In its most default and common setting the right Xbox thumbstick controls camera and aiming while the left thumbstick supports movement of the character. Currently these thumbsticks cannot be swapped and the solutions are as follows:
--The specific game supports (maybe) it in its configuration settings and the gamer can change it,
--The controller is disassembled and the wire leads removed and re-soldered on the controller's logic board,
--a "southpaw" controller is purchased (a rebuilt Xbox controller soldered by someone else to have the thumbsticks swapped),
--the gamer learns how to use the thumbsticks in its default settings.

As someone who trained for years using the right thumbstick on a computer configured Logitech gamepad to move my character front back and sideways, this of course introduces a learning curve with results earlier described with the included Resident Evil game. I am contemplating my options along these lines to perhaps considering the purchase of an additional wired Microsoft Xbox 360 game controller for the PC to facilitate learning the default movement and camera control to stay consistently trained across these platforms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't miss game system, June 14, 2009
Brent R. Matzelle (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
Resident Evil 4 was my favorite game for the PS2 so I just had to have this system. I bought an XBOX because my gamer buddies said it was better than PS3 in terms of games and graphics. I haven't seen anything that's refuted this. I also bought this model because it guarantees the newest parts (low power Jasper chip) so I won't get the dreaded "red ring of death" everyone complains about.

So far I've been playing old XBOX games in HD quality which has been awesome. The new XBOX 360 games graphics are just breathtaking. I had an old DVI (Digital Video Interface) which was the predecessor to HDMI. I found a GE adapter that allowed me to hook up the HDMI cable to the DVI connector on my TV. Works like a champ. I had no idea my TV could provide that good a picture.

The final thing was the red color of the console. I thought that I'd dislike the color and considered a normal black Elite system. However, now that I own the system I know that the red is actually more of a dark maroon which looks really cool compared to the boring black and white consoles that are out there. You won't regret it. Buy the system as soon as you can. You don't have much time before you'll have to deal with expensive eBay dealers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not all problems are solved, March 20, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
Ok, This is my second Xbox360. I received it on release day and it started out great. I ordered Call of Duty World at War the other day and when it came in was excited to play it. I put in the disc, and it got to the start up menu. Then it said unreadable. I took it out and there was a scratch in almost a complete circle. I put it in my old 360 and it wouldn't play there either. I have never had a game scratch like that on my old system (20G pro). I am hoping this was just an isolated issue as it plays a DVD fine and and Guitar Hero 3 with no problem after that. Maybe it was the disc itself that was scratched but I don't think so.

Otherwise, the system looks great. You get a lot of stuff bundled into this package and the red and black controller is just plain sweet. If you have been using a component video feed from a previous xbox, you will see that DVDs now play at 720 instead of 480. The games should be able to play at their optimium. But if you don't have a HDMI port to plug into, they also supply you with the component cables as well. The one thing that I wish was with the system is the transfer data kit. At least you can get it for free from Microsoft but just faxing over a form or calling them.
I am still waiting for mine as it takes about 2 weeks.
Overall, I would say this system is good but not perfect yet. And if it keeps eating discs, I am going to have to return it to Microsoft and have they repair the drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 RE5 LE Console (jasper chipset), September 26, 2009
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
I had an original elite model that RRoD'd me a while back. I opted to replace it with a new "Jasper" unit and so I got this package.

I'm not a big Resident Evil fan and red is one of my least favorite colors, BUT this X360 runs quieter and stays cooler. AND that is what's important to me.

The power brick is a little smaller and the power-cord connector that plugs into the 360 console is all plastic (the older ones are metal), what this means is that the new 360s require less wattage and they run at a consistently cooler temperature. Since the majority of RRoD's are due to over-heating this is good news.

Personally, if I had known a month ago that COD:MW2 was going to get a LE console with a larger hard-drive and a newer chipset I would have held off for that, but quieter and cooler are a combination worth having now.

If you're looking at a regular black box elite system you'll want to check for a recent manufacture date ... if it's last years, or older, it's not a Jasper. Also under the UL logo on the back sticker it'll say "12,1A" an older X360 will have "16,5A".

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars its an elite...........do you really have to question it., May 28, 2009
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
i replaced my regular white 360 w/out an hmdi plug with the the red elite and im not looking back, its quiet as hell thanks to the chip. and its cooler and less prone to getting RED EYE. still capable of getting it but very unlikely unless you like to move the 360 around while its on like a jerk, cuz thats the main problem even if your not trying to change its stance or just picking it up to clean. that is what happens to it if you move it. i've had 3 360's so i got some expertise on this. i got the package kinda messy but i dont think it was even the seller's fault, i believe the delivery people were tryin 2 get to it, cuz the packaging that protects it was gone on the same side it was opened so slightly but i think they were trying to get to they small things that comes with the console itself. but that has nothing to do with the seller or the product, just greedy poor scumbag delivery boys.......just buy it before it runs out............you jerks

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Elite Edition, March 16, 2009
I. Morales (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console (Video Game)
So this is my very first Xbox 360 I have ever owned and I am glad that it is this "limited edition RED" with RE5 and SF II turbo HD remix and I'm even more glad that I bought it from AMAZON.COM! Not only am I satisfied with "ALL" the system has to offer ( 120 GB hd, HDMI cables, head set, etc.) but I am also satisfied that I bought it from this website instead from some other place that rips you off (Best Buy) because I only had to pay $399(NO TAX!!!) and it was at my door step one day earlier than its actual release date. That is what I call EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE: No trips to the store, no lines, no wait, no tax! Before this product was out I was on every retail website researching which of those marketers was the best to buy from and I finally narrowed it down to Amazon. If I were to have bought it from Best Buy and had it shipped to my house I would have spent and extra $30 + dollars on tax and shipping making the total $430+. That extra money spent could go towards games/accessories. Luckly for me I spent only $399 at Amazon and the shipping was FREE. Overall I must say that this product is definetly worth purchasing for all the reasons above and it is certainly worth purchasing it from Amazon.com

P.S. A WORD TO THE WISE!!!!

For all those interested in buying an Xbox 360 system, the Elite bundle will save you money in the long run! Especially one purchased from AMAZON!

All the items on the list below are brand new and from Best Buy!

Xbox 360 Arcade: $199 + tax

120 GB Hard Drive: $150 + tax

Headset: $20 + tax

HDMI Cables: $50 + tax

Resident Evil 5: $60 + tax

Total: $479 + all combined taxes and S+H if you order from the website.

Xbox 360 Elite Limted Edition Red which includes all items listed above from Amazon.com.

Total: $399 + free shipping.

Which one do you think is the better deal?

Xbox 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red Console