Xbox 360 Wireless Adapters...Which one???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2010 6:34:51 AM PST
R. Flowers says:
I wanted to get a wireless adapter for the 360 to elimiante the ethernet cable running through the living room.
I was already trying to figure out which one I needed now Im thrown another curve seeing there is a new one coming out in Jan 11. I was leaning towards the one for 79.54 buy now Im thinking I should wait for the newer one.
We have internet thru Embarq/CenturyLink and have the 2WIRE router from them.
Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 6:00:14 AM PST
M. Sanges says:
I had bought the Microsoft xbox adapter and it was terrible, but others seem to have some amount of luck.

If I might suggest, I had did a bit of research and for the same cost as one of these proprietary, one-device use adapters, I picked up a highly rated router and, more importantly: Buffalo Technology Nfiniti Wireless-N Dual Band Ethernet Converter WLI-TX4-AG300N. Access points like this one (which is what this is, just by a diff't name), pickup your wifi signal and then trick the device(s) it's connected to into thinking they're on a wired signal.

Now I am by far no expert on computers, but this (and any other "access point") is not any harder to setup than a router and this particular guy has multiple ethernet ports (unlike many others in this realm of devices) so you can hook up your blu-ray player and your tv if they get internet updates/programs, or any other device like a nearby pc for a quick, more-reliable signal. Like most of the other reviewers that wrote-in on it, my connections with it are very reliable, and of course much more stable than an external wifi connection (like what you'd get by picking up these Xbox adapters).

Just something to think about. And on a sidenote, in my experience third-party devices almost always are inferior to the official items--in theory it's because the Research and Development that the big companies have can be more dedicated and tested than these little-er guys trying to hurry their products out the door to make cash. And especially since there's such a slight difference in price, it hardly seems worth the risk. Sometimes you just have to pay for the filet mignon dinner instead of the hamburg'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 2:12:35 PM PST
Trevor says:
have wi-fi plug it in to your xbox play games done.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2013 5:43:32 AM PST
Doc Landis says:
Get the "N".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2013 6:13:53 AM PST
Doc Landis says:
The good news is, you were right on more of the issues than most! Just a couple of addendum; 1: Be wary of running TOO many items through your home router. Although your brief description sounds quite nominal "demand" - wise. There is an aspect to networking called "bandwidth", which can be described as "the number of lanes of traffic" you connection can comfortably carry. As the traffic increases, there will be slow downs, or even stoppage, which leads to a host of other problems that may include choppy video, or even connection failure. This problem seems to be most prevalent at the far end of DSL broadband, where the speed slows, and the bandwidth is comparable to an alley designed for single mule delivery, rather than the information super-highway.

2. I find your description of a Buffalo router as filet mignon to be just this side of incredulous. While your suggestion of going with brand-name hardware was well intended, your application was just the opposite, sacrificing quality compatible design with 3rd party competitively priced goods not known for its quality control. If it is not itself "hamburg", then Buffalo is indeed probably the most apt description.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2013 7:17:41 AM PST
M. Sanges says:
Whoa, bud, I didn't say that the Buffalo access point WAS highly-rated or as you put it "filet mignon", I mentioned I picked up the Buffalo access point AND a highly-rated router.

Nowadays, I'm suggesting the TRENDnet N900 Dual Band Wireless Media Bridge, TEW-680MB in place of the outdated, and apparently "dubious" Buffalo wifi bridge to anyone who likes reading threads from over a year ago about the best way to hookup last-gen systems.

Was my previous product suggestion a bit flaky? Sure, a little bit, the UI was miserable but why exactly it is that you think I was praising them from the rooftops is a little beyond me when all I said is that it helped me connect with solid signal strength to my mediocre Time Warner internet speeds (20-down, 10-up and generally 72% connection as opposed to the Xbox-specific wifi adapter that sits permanently behind the console, buried behind the entertainment center and I was personally getting ~50% signal strength to my router).

Even if one was so inclined as to unhook all but one of their living room devices from an access point except the one they want to use (blu-ray player, TV, xbox, whathaveyou), I still find that to be a better solution than these bottom-of-the-barrel Xbox-specific devices.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter
Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter by Datel (Xbox 360)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (338)