Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Color: Gold ChromeEdition: WirelessChange

on February 11, 2015
I feel like I'm late to everything that's new in tech, but I recently got a Xbox 360 Bundle that includes this black wireless controller. I had some doubts about the efficiency of the wireless controller, but I've been pleased with it so far.

I initially had these quick thoughts... How long will the battery last? Will I experience lagging all the time? Lag is the most frustrating thing, and we all know it. I have a wireless controller for another system that has always given me problems, thus my reservations about Xbox 360. But fear not, prospective buyer, because Xbox 360 is awesome.

The battery is advertised as having 40 hours of life. That's plenty of life for a couple of AA batteries, and frankly I expected less. Being that I've had the Xbox 360 for just awhile, I'm approaching 40 hours of controller usage and haven't experienced any issues. The time will soon come, but I'm happy with the amount of playing time I've got from a couple AAs. Plus, no tangled wires or tugging at the console.

The controller also has a 30-foot range. I haven't needed to be 30 feet away from the console, but it works just fine from the opposite end of a typical living room. Maybe in some fantasy when I live in a mansion with an auditorium for a game room I'll truly be able to test out the range.

As for the feel in my hands, it's one of the more comfortable and ergonomic controllers I've ever held. I'm seriously considering buying more wireless controllers rather than wired ones. Check out the gold chrome design if you feel like royalty.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2010
I bought this black wireless controller so I could have another wireless controller. Be advised when reading reviews on this product that it appears some people are reviewing the Xbox 360 Silver Controller and Play & Charge Kit, which is a special controller that is different (and more expensive as of this writing) than the black controller I am reviewing. This controller does NOT have any chrome items on it (other than the usual Xbox Guide button), nor does it have any upgrades to the D-pad.

As far as the controller itself, I didn't notice any structural difference between this controller and my old white controller that came with my Pro 20GB Xbox 360 several years ago. I did notice, however, that this controller properly charges my Play & Charge Kit where my old one did not. Prior to buying this controller, my Play & Charge kit would always show the red light while recharging. Since the recharging appeared to work anyway, I didn't think much of it (especially after calling Microsoft and being informed that the warranty on accessories is only 90 days, though that was in 2008). Since I assumed that the battery was at fault the whole time, I was surprised to find out that this controller charged the battery and (correctly) showed a green light when charging was complete.

Though it did not appear to be a structural change to the controller, I had somewhat forgotten (or not realized?) how much wear my controller has taken over the four years (give or take) since I got my console. The new controller gives me a bit more precision in games, especially with the right stick and the pushing of the sticks (for activities like sprinting). The tactility of the sticks (with little raised lines for grip) were a nice reminder of what my controller seemed to have at one time.

This was a satisfying purchase for functionality and the nice sleek look of black. I should also note that while the description of the item is "Glossy Black," this controller isn't really what I would call glossy like you would call the bezel of an LCD monitor or clear coat on a car. It gives off very little gloss in my opinion, which is fine by me.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
If you are purchasing this controller to use with a PC you must buy the wireless receiver separately. This is a controller only!
on July 12, 2011
It isn't as goofy looking as the Halo Reach controller or other "special edition" controllers from the past, but it still looks much better than the old black one:

-The Xbox guide button is a chrome finish instead of stainless steel
-The matte grey areas on the old black controller have been replaced by glossy black pieces

See my photos above for a sided by side comparison
review image review image
on September 27, 2013
I like this controller. I never had Xbox, but I wanted a wireless controller for PC games on my Win 7-64. No problem with a Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. I did need to hurdle the slight problem of not all games recognizing the controller, but a cheap little program called Xpadder took care of translating the keystrokes to the controller with little difficulty.
on January 17, 2014
I have a drawer full of these, 6 actually. They work great when brand new. But if you are a heavy gamer, they do not last very long. The original controller that came with my first jasper xbox, lasted me a few years. I don't know if the manufacturing on these controllers has changed, or quality control has gotten worse, but lately, these controllers have been only lasting between 3-6 months. I play mostly FPS like COD, gun and run style. All of my controllers, the thumbsticks are where I encounter problems. Some just break on the inside so that the plastic thumbstick becomes loose causing it to get stuck sometimes. Others, the thumbsticks get sticky, in the the motion ceases to remain smooth. This can cause the your motion to get stuck in a certain direction. E.g., the left thumbstick cause character movement when you don't want. Or the right thumbstick causes camera movement drift. Sometimes it becomes severe movement, which is terrible for games that require aiming accuracy. Or the downward click on the thumbstick stops working. I've taken them apart, cleaned them, bought replacement parts like thumbsticks, but eventually it gets annoying enough that I just buy another, hopefully on sale. But its getting annoying when a $50 controller lasts like 3 months.

Everything else is good; the controller is one of the main reasons I like the xbox 360 over the ps3. The controller has comfortable size, weight. The thumbsticks motion is sticky at first, but after breaking it in, is good smooth but still enough resistance that it doesn't feel loose like the PS3 controllers.

I've tried a few third party controllers, but yet to have found a controller that is as good. So for now, I'm still stuck buying these. Hopefully the xbone controllers will be better.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2013
Really awesome controller! Looks nice and works fine. I bought some accessories for it as well and it looks really sexy! I bought a red silicon case for it and bought some FPS FREEKS. I highly recommend buying those from Amazon if you want to pimp out your controller and have better gaming experience!
on December 1, 2010
Despite other opinions - this controller is only different in color scheme from the older controllers.
In fact - my left trigger annoyingly squeaks - ironically all my older controllers (5 in total - including the red and blue ones - which I use as spares and for friends)never squeaked. Basically the color scheme is all black - no gray. And a shiny garish chrome power button. It has the exact same feel the older controllers have. I think some of the reviews claiming it has a different feel or has different performance has to be imaginative wishful thinking.
I noticed no change in performance (and due to the squeaking trigger actually worse quality than my older ones!)
I also noticed no different power consumption as compared to the earlier controllers. I use rechargeable batteries so can't comment on AA battery drain - but again - I'd be wary of opinions that somehow this controller had been redesigned to reduce power consumption when everything else is identical to the older versions. Unless you actually see controlled tests regarding power consumption I'd take these sort of opinions as opinions - not fact.
If you like the new color scheme then buy it but do not expect it to be any different from any earlier controller.
on July 11, 2013
I personally believe that this controller tops all current day ones. The size of the controller is perfect. Nice and big which makes it sturdy. Very durable . This controller has gave me no problems so I definitely recommend it.
on September 7, 2013
I picked this up at walmart instead for about the same price. Never had a transforming D-PAD controller so i figured i try it out. Now this controller feels exactly the same and operates the same as a standard one, but the d pad does help a little when playing games that require heavy use of it. Here are some pros/cons

-Design: Camouflage, doesn't get any cooler. THE BACK OF THIS CONTROLLER IS BLACK! ONLY FRONT IS CAMO.

-DPAD: The transforming DPAD looks cool and helps in Fighting games.

-Analog: Analog sticks are a bit different, they have a circular ridge on the very outside making them feel different but in a good way.

-Trigger: Left trigger after heavy use has a SLIGHT squeak. If it bugs you that much im sure its fixable

-Analog: Ridge on analog sticks can collect dirt. Just dont be lazy and maintain your controller you'll be fine.

Basically if you want to switch things up with your controllers then this one is nice to showcase or just to have. The design is neat so if you want something different pick this up (:
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse