Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on April 15, 2013
I haven't used this on a PC at all, but after installing a 3rd party driver from...

[...]

...it worked on my Mac like a charm!! I'm using it on my MacBook Pro with the OpenEmu emulator ( openemu.org ) to play some old school SNES and NES games and it's absolutely perfect for it.

[edit]
Bummer, they nuked the link. Google Tattiebogle and look for a very orange website.

Pros:
Get to use your Wireless Xbox 360 Controller with your computer!!
Once it's setup, it's easy to connect.

Cons:
It's not really a con, but the included software doesn't work on Mac (unsurprisingly) however there is a 3rd party driver that'll make it work, see link above.
No cons otherwise. Works as intended, and with Prime delivery was quick as always.

*side note* the Amazon locker thinger is cool. This was my first time using one.
on November 24, 2013
Works perfectly! Haven't had four connected to it yet, but two works like a charm.

Also if you have Windows 8, the driver will install automatically so this came with a free frisbee too :)
on November 18, 2013
Official, works perfectly on PC, but has its flaws.
I came on here, saw some fantastic reviews and bought the receiver in a heart beat in order to play games like Dark Souls with ease on my PC. When it came in the mail installed the disc(easy to install), but unlike most of the reviewers here(whom are running on Windows7/8), it did not work.
Let me give a clear warning to potential buyers now, if you're running on Windows Vista, the 'simple' install with the CD WILL NOT work.

If you're a Windows Vista user I highly recommend installing the drivers online instead and then search on youtube for some 'how to' videos as it requires some fiddling in your Device Manager in order to get it to properly work. The device works perfectly as advertised, but is not too friendly with Vista, once I got it up and running though the time spent was well worth it.
on October 11, 2013
Summary: the product is great, works as expected, and WILL OPERATE UP TO 4 CONTROLLERS.

Look past my auction site tip of the hat and have this shipped to you right now. I am a recent convert to PC gaming; my 360 and P$3 are slowly fading away. As my steamy pile of games increases I found myself wanting more and more to be able to use a trigger button as opposed to an awkward reach of the finger on the keyboard.

After looking at a few different sellers of similar products I chose this one. Other listings seem to be knock off copies. I was willing to pay for the real deal. As other reviewers have pointed out, this product seems to be genuine M$. If it is a knock off, it is a first rate clone. There was a lack of proper retail packaging, BUT the product was secured in a proper electronics bag, inside bubble wrap with a software disc and literature; all appearing to be genuine and finally shrink wrapped. That's it; no clam shell or UPC. No big deal.

As other reviewers have recommend, I did NOT utilize the included install disc, but instead did a search for basically the item description to locate the most recent software/driver. There are updates that were made to the driver/software since the release of the disc.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Search for and install the official M$ driver/software available from their website.
2) Plug the hardware into your PC's USB port.
3) The device should be recognized.
4) UNPLUG ANY 360 that might be in range. Previously synced controllers will turn it on.
5) Push the button on the receiver.
6) Push the little button on the top of the controller (near the charger plug). .
7) The devices will sync.

The little software HUD style display (when running) will show you if a controller is connected; in the same style of the 360. Cool. No problems so far with games, the bigger titles didn't even need adjustments to control input settings.

By the way the device WILL work with up to four controllers. This makes the value proposition much better in my opinion.

The listing pictures make it seem like it is the size of a common corded computer mouse. It is about half that size. What are you waiting for, stop reading this and buy it.
on May 28, 2013
Okay so, received the receiver in a clear plastic envelope with the gummed flap for easy removal. Comes with instructions, a Product guide (which is useless), the CD containing the receiver drivers, and the receiver itself. Mine was the black variant, which is cool because it blends in with my PC's black casing, however I imagine you were thinking of getting the white one, well, I believe it's random but I wouldn't know because I've only ordered one and will probably only need one. This is an Official Microsoft product, some reviewers in the past say they got a Third-Party device, I didn't.

From receiving the package and actually using it, it took about 10 minutes at the most to install the receiver. Pop in disc, let the Install Wizard do it's thing, and then plug in the receiver after installing the software (Note: Be sure your USB port that the device is plugged into can power this, otherwise it will not work) in which then the green Power light should be lit. More stuff will install, and now to connect the Xbox controller. No drivers are necessary to download for the Xbox Controller, just unplug your Xbox 360 if it's nearby (remember, the Xbox controller turns on the console too), press the Search for Console button on the controller (the small button near the charger port of the controller), and then while the Guide button ring is spinning, press the button on the receiver (there's only one button on that thing) and it should connect. To connect more controllers, you must press the connect buttons on all of the controllers so that they're all spinning at the same time, then press the receiver's button to connect the controllers.

This Xbox controller works with games that utilize "joysticks" or similar devices. This part you'll have to find out on your own, for me it worked on Fighting is Magic.

This is an Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows, and it does what it needs to do. Want to use your Xbox 360 controllers for your PC? This device will work for you.
review image review image review image
on October 30, 2014
For anyone reading all of the endless reviews I did, this is the actual Microsoft branded receiver for wireless controllers to interface with your PC. It is black and comes with the manual and driver disc (won't need it if you have Windows 7). It immediately worked on my computer and I have had a blast playing GTA and Saints Row games with it on the PC!
on August 16, 2015
It's pretty bogus that Microsoft designed the controller to not connect over USB, but charge over USB fine. So basically this is essential to use the 360 controller on a PC. 5 stars for how essential it is, and it works perfectly. However 0 starts to Xbox HW product managers for not allowing the engineers to release a decent USB driver. Typical Microsoft bureaucratic nonsense.
on March 17, 2012
Okay so i read the reviews bad and good ones and ordered it and it came today. unsurprising i plugged it into my external usb hub it did not work, just said unknown device. I did try the solution posted where you have to select the driver and that person is correct however i did not have the most recent driver which as of now is a 2009 driver. i had a 2006 driver which just made my controller's circles flash when i installed that. So i did some research.

First you need to install the latest driver which are for 32 bit and 64 bit.

[...]

this link might change and sooner or later stop working but basically what you want is the driver for the wireless gaming controller for win 7.

you can just google xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows driver and the result i was looking for came in at 5th place.

ok install it restart the comp. Now you do what the previous guy did.
Go to device manager if you just connected it without playing around it should pop out like a sore thumb eg unkown device. If you installed the previous driver you can find your controller in Microsoft Common controller For windows class.

now click properties

click update device

then browse my computer for driver software

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

Now you should be seeing 4 different drivers click the 2009 version.(2006 wont work)

install and if your controller is on it should stop flashing connect to the first quadrant and you will be set to go to play with controller.

It works on skyrim, batman and assassins without any prob. Of course the game needs to support the controller but that goes without saying.

Please leave a comment etc and ill try to help but hopefully i helped you
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2014
I picked this up to be able to do some PC Gaming on my 50 inch Plasma by using my wireless xbox 360 controller connected to my gaming rig/desktop that is running Windows 8.1...

Appears to be O.E.M. product from Microsoft..

It comes with some paper work, with basic install guide and a driver CD which you can most likely just toss away.

The receiver has worked flawlessly from about 20 feet away, for my particular setup..

Basically you just plug it into an available USB 2.0 port on the back or front panel of your desktop, Windows should automatically install drivers and recognize the unit. Once plugged in and recognized there is a green light that should glow on the top of receiver to let you know it is on.

Now thanks to the way I have my setup of my room, when in the mood, I can sit back and chill on my sofa which is about 20 feet away from the receiver, and play some of my PC games on my plasma..

Gotta Love it!
on October 12, 2013
I clearly didn't read all the reviews. I saw 'by microsoft' on the page, and this is by no means a microsoft product. The disc with the drivers won't even run in my pc. How sad is that? I've tried almost all the work arounds others posters have used and kudos to them for being so intrepid and willing to put in that much time and effort for something that should be plug and play...but as I ordered what I thought was a Microsoft product, I want the real deal. I tried to return it using Amazon's returns process and got a lot of hoops to jump through, including having to live chat with an operator who made me look up the order number....yeah... I had to link her to the order number, after they made me type up a description of my problem, select the order number and product...the whole 9 yards. Not that huge a deal and it seems I'm getting a refund, but the extra time and hassle is a little insult to injury. Buyer beware on this puppy, seems some may work fine, others might not at all and it's up to you if saving a few dollars is worth the headache of dealing with a cheap made in China knockoff.