4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective
360 is in the basement, router is on the 2nd floor. My main reason for upgrading was because while watching streaming netflix movies, it would stop and downgrade the quality to keep up with the streaming movie. This doesn't happen on my pc or when I moved the 360 one floor closer to the router.

The package comes with an instruction manual, installation cd and...
Published on November 12, 2009 by J. Fabisch

Published on November 24, 2009 by Moto4

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, November 12, 2009
J. Fabisch "JayFab" (Burlington, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter A/B/G & N Networks (Accessory)

The package comes with an instruction manual, installation cd and the adapter. The CD sleeve tells you to put it in first before connecting the adapter. I put it into my 360 and it just stared at me. Probably because I had already downloaded the latest 360 update through Live. The instructions were not clear on this but I feel it is for people that have never updated their 360 and need the WPA2 configuration installed to run wireless n. To clarify, to use wireless N you must use WPA or WPA2. You cannot use WEP encryption. If you do not change it on your router configuration, this adapter will run in ABG only. NOT N. You must also have a wireless N compatible router to run at wireless n speeds (duh).

I already had the older MS ABG adapter wirelessly connected to my 360 and linked to my router, so I just shut it down, unplugged the usb cable and plugged this one in instead. Rebooted and ran "test connection" and it kept the old configuration memory of the connection settings (MAC and ip addresses, passwords, WPA2, etc), except it connected full "4 bars" strong and stated the connection type was n instead of g. I checked this on the router as well through my pc. Connection speeds had varied from 28 to 54 mb/s but now jumped to 52 to 108 mb/s. Tested the unit thoroughly with MW2. No hiccups in voice or connection problems with server during multiplayer or spec ops. Also tested netflix streaming. No problems here either. Watched a full movie with no recalibration/interuption. This has never happened before even on a good day.

The adapter comes with little fold out feet on the bottom so you can stand it remotely if you buy a usb extension cable. Very handy feature if your 360 is buried in an entertainment rack.

Offnote complaint: Router is DLink DGL4500 GamerLounge ABGN, non-firmware updated (which has been known to cause problems). People have complained that this router is not simultaneous dual band. I was on xbox live playing a game in wireless n and using my iphone (wireless g only) to look up info on the net at the same time. I believe the "simultaneous" complaint refers to wireless n devices not being able to see wireless g devices on the same server. Does not affect my configuration.

Conclusion:
Does everyone need this? No. But if you don't want or can't run cable through your house and want the fastest connection speed possible, this is a great trouble free solution. When choosing between the older version and the newer one, the price differences between the two MS supplied adapters is minimal enough that this should be your purchase choice unless you NEVER plan to upgrade past g or your 360 is pretty much in line of site of your router.

I do not work for MS, own a PS3, have red ringed my 360, and still recommend this product.

Pro's: speed, pain free installation, speed, remotely locatable, speed, 2 antennae, did I mention speed???
Con's: clamshell packing, price, vague installation instructions, fragile antennae only pivot left/right, not forward/back or rotateable, same with old one. But since it can be located remotely, not really an issue.

GT: Jinx32

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well if you have your router set right, November 21, 2009
M. Owens (El Dorado Hills, CA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I was getting ready to ship this adapter back after two days of tinkering with my network to get it to work with no results. My old Xbox wireless-g adapter worked fine, albeit with marginal connectivity and speed. I upgraded to this wireless-n adapter to solve those problems but found that it worked so poorly that I barely had a connection and couldn't use media center at all.

I spent two days tweaking everything I could think of on my network and then, as a last resort, I just switched my router (Linksys WRT330N) to operate in the 20MHz band instead of the 40, where I had it set previously. That was all it took, and now it works great with a strong signal. So, if the adapter doesn't work for you, make sure your router isn't set for wide-40MHz channel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless N - Achievement Unlocked!, November 18, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Can't route Cat-5 cable? This latest A/B/G & N Wireless Adapter, from Microsoft, is the next best bet. Emphasis on the "N."

Do you use the Apple Airport Express or the Apple Airport Extreme as your router? No worries, there are no compatibility issues; nor are there any NAT issues that interrupt game play, an issue that plagues certain routers on the market.

If you do not have an 802.11n capable router, but can spare the extra money, spring for this latest A/B/G & N wireless adapter. The Xbox 360 wireless adapter conforms to all four current wireless network standards and will work with any devices that support such.

Concerned about the color of the adapter not matching the color of your console? Regardless of how you display your console, horizontally or vertically, the adapter (if plugged into the rear of your console) is hidden and all that is visible are the grey antennae.

This newest adapter shares the same, almost plug-and-play, installation as the previous A/B/G generation wireless adapter. Simply plug the adapter into the back of your console and power the console on. If you are not already online, navigate to the system area of the Dashboard. Within the system area, enter in your network settings, test the settings, then log into Xbox Live and you are ready to go.

I was able to tell the difference in speed immediately, even when testing the Xbox Live connection in the network settings. Gone are the issues with streaming, and Netflix looks amazing in high definition. And most importantly, I am gaming multi-player lag free!

Things to consider: If you use wireless controllers with your system, you may get better performance using the 5-GHz band for your network connection, since the wireless controllers operate in the 2.4-GHz band. This also holds true with other common household devices such as cordless telephones and microwave ovens. Also, your 802.11n network only operates as fast as your slowest connected device. Therefore, if you want best performance it is suggested to switch to 5-GHz 802.11n only when gaming. Or, better, have a dual-band router dedicating feeds to the appropriate devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Performance, Simple Plug and Play Install, December 8, 2009
Amazon Customer (Bloomingdale, IL USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Let's be clear upfront, if you are only using wireless for gaming, you won't see much improvement in speed in selecting a "N" band adapter versus a "G" band adapter. However, the "N" band adapter does give you slightly more range.

So why do you want this adapter then? For same reason as me, I purchased this to support streaming of audio and video to my XBox from my PC. I didn't want to run Ethernet cable between floors either. If that's your goal, or you are looking to stream Netflix to your XBox, then this adapter is what you want.

I should point out that in order to use the "N" band, your wireless router must support "N" band as well. I would think that's pretty obvious, but maybe not to everyone. I am using a DLink DIR-655 router that supports "N" band. One more thing, you need to ensure your router is set to support WPA and WPA2, these are the only encryption methods that support "N" band. If you have your router set to WEP, you'll need to change your router configuration.

INSTALLATION:
I found the installation of this to be very simple, plug it into back of the Xbox, turn your Xbox on and configure the adapter. This was done in only a couple of minutes. If you are replacing your existing XBox "G" band adapter with this one you shouldn't need to make any changes to your XBox set-up, run a "test network connection" to verify everything is working as expected.

The adapter can attach directly to the back of your XBox. However you'll probably want to install this using a USB cable so you can extend that away from the console to get a better signal. The adapter comes with feet that you can extend to stand it up.

PERFORMANCE:
Once my XBox wireless network was set-up I checked the performance. First, I verified the connection of the adapter on my router. It was listed as 802.11n (2.4GHz) as expected. The connection speed was showing between 220 and240. My router is on a different floor than my XBox, but still find this to be quite good. I then ran the network performance tune on the XBox. The graph showed I had a full connection suitable for TV as well as HDTV!

I tested the actual performance of the adapter by streaming a movie from my PC (high resolution) using Media Center. The movie started buffering first for about 2 seconds and then my movie started playing immediately. I watched the movie for about 5 minutes and noticed no delays or interruption in the playback. I also used Media Center to stream audio, as well as display my collection of family pictures in the background. I left this to play for over an hour with no interruptions in the playback.

CONCLUSION:
I did try another wireless "N" adapter before getting the Microsoft adapter. I was VERY displeased with that adapter. You can read my review on the Trendnet Wireless Adapter, "Save Yourself the Hassle if Using on Xbox 360 - Get the Microsoft Adapter Instead" TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter-Black (TEW-647GA) (V1.0R). The Microsoft adapter is as simple as you can make it to add wireless "N" to your XBox. Performance is excellent. Sure it cost a few bucks more, but as I noted in my Trendnet review, you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration, will easily justify the additional $$ to get Microsoft's "N" band adapter. As always, shop around for the best pricing. I've seen these offered for $79.

2.0 out of 5 stars 99 dollars!!?? This is a huge rip off. Other and better solutions exist!!, November 24, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Seriously, anybody who buys this without even researching the options you have to give your 360 wireless N capability is just wasting their money. I didnt' really want to write this review initially (because I am a programmer on M$ platforms), but it's just plain rediculous. Even more rediculous are the 5 stars reviews on amazon praising this thing. Sure it will give you wireless N capability but at a cost that is outragous!

Here is a better solution:

Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter

This will connect to anything that has an Ethernet cable and will give you wireless N capability. it will give me the same functionality as this outragously over-priced adapter. Not only that, but it will work with whatever I throw at it. it works with my PS3, XBOX 360, Laptop, .....etc. if you shop hard enough you will be able to pick this thing up for very cheap.

Another solution, This one requires more knowledge and is a bit more technical. Also possibly a little more expensive than the first option, but still cheaper than the 99 dollars adapter on here:

purchase a wireless N router that supports a HyperWRT firmware like Tomato or dd-WRT. You can then flip the router into a bridge and connect it to your XBOX 360 to offer you wireless N capability. Like I said, a bit more technical, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

I love Microsoft, but this is just plain wrong.

EDIT: A lot of people responded to me by saying that the LinkSys adapter is about the same price as XBOX adapter. This is ONLY true on amazon. you can search for better prices elsewhere on the LinkSys adapter. I picked up the above adapter for 37 dollars including shipping! Also there is another solution which gives you the same capability as the LinkSys adapter and is only 49 dollars here:

TRENDnet Wireless N Gaming Adapter-Black (TEW-647GA) (V1.0R)

Bottom line, there are much cheaper solutions out there. They are not as clean as the XBOX adapter because you will need to hook them up to their own power and such, but you could use them for other applications (like giving the PS3 wireless N capability instead of the built in wireless). This adapter should be 49.99 Not 79.99 or 87.99 or 99.99...etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars a few frustrating minutes - but wireless goodness at last, November 21, 2009
Amazon Customer (franklin square, LI) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I had my system set to launch to the dashboard by default, and it was reading the driver disk as "mixed media disk." At first i powered off the system, but no luck when i turned it back on. It kept reading "mixed media" and wouldn't play the disk. I had to set it to load to disk by default and power off the system. When it came back on, it read the disk and everything else was groovy. The troubleshooting section of the manual didn't have this info. It was just a few frustrating minutes, but frustrating nonetheless. Other than that, all is well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but effective and completely worth the upgrade!!!, November 19, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bandwidth is what we all need with HD over IP becoming a reality. This adapter definitely fits the bill with the extra gain in speed that is achieved. If you are an XBOX 360 user and use it as a media device to stream your content and or Netflix, etc...then this is something that you absolutely must get. We are using our 360's for Netflix more and more and with the addition of the new PlayTo features in Windows 7 the 360 is becoming the center piece of our home theater and family room. Naturally the old wireless adapter worked well but there were some delays and sluggish performance...with the addition of Wireless-N to this adapter the delays and sluggish behavior has all but disappeared and the performance is awesome.

My only negative is the price....in the end its a simple wireless-n adapter with a USB cable on it...why not make it cheaper and let more people enjoy the ecosystem that now exists for multimedia streaming. Are you listening Microsoft???

5/5 - even with the price - but it could sell a whole lot more and get adopted faster if the price was in the 49.99 area.

If you have any questions about this device and or need more information, please comment and I will answer as soon as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX 360 wireless net adapter, December 12, 2010
Matt Teasley (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Love it, plug it in and it works! Online in an instant and it works from one end of the house to the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter, April 4, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Great product - worked great right after I installed it - which was a breeze. No need to use the provided software CD. The device was recognized and worked beautifully. Been using it with Netflix and expierenced no trouble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox 360 wireless N adapter, December 12, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Very easy to install and works awesome. The price was actually cheaper than the wireless G at the time which was also great.

Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter A/B/G & N Networks