5.0 out of 5 stars Funky color, but it's popular...
Published on November 19, 2004 by Christian Wheeler

1.0 out of 5 stars not what you order
Even though this page shows the Microsoft controller, this seller sends a knock off that looks like it but doesn't work like it. So, since this review is for the knock off instead of the real controller, I have to say that it does not work well at all; don't buy it.
Published on September 10, 2007 by VCM

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky color, but it's popular..., November 19, 2004
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
...at least, it's popular at my store. I say "funky" because the dark blue color doesn't seem to go well with the black and green XBox...but my customers don't seem to mind. It outsells the green S and almost outsells the black S at my store. Those who bought an XBox when it first came out remember the monstrously oversized controller that came with it. Fans complained, and Microsoft created the Controller S ("S" for "small") to alleviate the cramped hands and aggravation the original controller caused. (The original still has its fans, though; I get a handful of requests each month for it). The control layout may take some getting used to, as many games require the use of all of the buttons, and reaching the small black and white buttons near the bottom of the controller can be risky in heavy combat (such as switching grenade types while battling an Elite in Halo). Otherwise, this controller is great. It's just the right size for most people, although if you're buying a controller for someone with small hands (like a child, for example) then I suggest the Mad Catz MicroCon, perfectly suited for smaller hands. The Controller S is also available in green and black.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Finally Got the Controller Right!, April 14, 2004
The original controller that Microsoft released with the XBox was like the system itself, big and bulky. Those of you who remember how your hands felt after playing hours of Halo with those big bulky controllers will truly apreciate the new "S" type controllers. They are much more comfortable on your hands and make game play much better. Your hands are not crampy and in pain like before. The most notable difference will be in the white and black buttons. I remember how annoying it was to have to reach all the way to the top of the controller in an odd fashion to hit one of those buttons. They are now on the bottom of the controller, and it takes geting used to, but you will find they are much easier to reach and work way better in the new spot. All the buttons on the controller are more accessible and the control sitcks are easier to use. The blue color on this one is just cool and since it is the same price why not go for it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the original XBox controller, October 24, 2004
This review is from: Xbox Controller S-Black (Video Game)
Those who bought an XBox when it first came out remember the monstrously oversized controller that came with it. Fans complained, and Microsoft created the Controller S ("S" for "small") to alleviate the cramped hands and aggravation the original controller caused. The control layout may take some getting used to, as many games require the use of all of the buttons, and reaching the small black and white buttons near the bottom of the controller can be risky in heavy combat (such as switching grenade types while battling an Elite in Halo). Otherwise, this controller is great. It's just the right size for most people, although if you're buying a controller for someone with small hands (like a child, for example) then I suggest the Mad Catz MicroCon, perfectly suited for smaller hands. The Controller S is also available in green and blue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect color for the XBox, November 19, 2004
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Those who bought an XBox when it first came out remember the monstrously oversized controller that came with it. Fans complained, and Microsoft created the Controller S ("S" for "small") to alleviate the cramped hands and aggravation the original controller caused. The control layout may take some getting used to, as many games require the use of all of the buttons, and reaching the small black and white buttons near the bottom of the controller can be risky in heavy combat (such as switching grenade types while battling an Elite in Halo). Otherwise, this controller is great. It's just the right size for most people, although if you're buying a controller for someone with small hands (like a child, for example) then I suggest the Mad Catz MicroCon, perfectly suited for smaller hands. This semi-tranparent green controller goes well with the black and green Xbox. The Controller S is also available in black and blue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uber Green, February 24, 2004
This controller is great. I've owned it for about two months and no problems. The 'S' design is great. I mostly play Halo, PGR, and Top Spin for hours straight and I'm not sure why, but my hands dont sweat as much with this controller as with a PS2 controller. And the clear green makes it look awesome. And another feature that's very much overlooked is the detatchable cord that comes apart when you trip over the cord, this way your console stays safely on the shelf. I've tripped over the PS2 controller a few times and it comes tumbling down onto my foot. And the end of the controller easily snaps into the port. XBOX Rules.

5.0 out of 5 stars The $30 is worth it, July 8, 2004
I know they have cheaper Xbox controllers out there, but most of them suck. I remember when I got a $20 controller, and shortly, it started working like crap. I know $30 is a little pricey for a controller, but I'd rather spend $30 for a good controller than spend $20 for a crappy controller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Controller. GREAT SIZE, November 15, 2004
This review is from: Xbox Controller S-Black (Video Game)
This controller is the perfect all around controller. I am 17 years old 6'6" and I have pretty large hands. I love this controller especially for the new release of Halo 2. I have had my Xbox for just over a year and I could not wait to get new controllers after I got my Xbox because the Xbox came with "D" controllers. I felt like the "D" controllers (I got two for my birthday) were very uncomfortable and i envied my friends for having the "S" controllers, which have a much more convenient button layout and more comfortable mold. I am going to sell my two "D" controllers and purchase four new "S" controllers to replace them. The only thing that could make this controller better was if there was a headphone/headset jack on the controller so that it is compatible with the newer Xbox Live headsets, instead of having to buy a memory slot adapter.

When compared to the third party (accessories not made by Microsoft) controllers I would say that it is a no-brainer to buy this model and not a third party controller mainly because of quality. I have been an avid video-gamer for 13 years now and I have never bought a third party controller for any console that I have owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Controller Out There, September 18, 2004
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I received this controller when I purchased the special edition Halo Xbox system. Unless you have huge hands this is the best controller out there. It fits perfectly into my hands making it so that you don't have to move your hands around too much when you play. Lots of other third party companies try to duplicate the S controller with both wired and unwired versions but don't buy them. All of the third party ones slightly mess up the details. I personally don't like them even though I own 2 third party wireless controllers simply for having the convenience of wireless. However if you don't need to have wireless controllers buy the Microsoft S controller because it feels better and is well worth the extra 5 bucks when compared to a third party controller

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a licking and keeps on ticking, August 25, 2005
Smyrna T. Y. Brewley (British Virgin Islands) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After buying the cheaper no brand controllers and having them last less than a month i finally invested in the real controller. I was not disappointed because my 4 year old is very tempermental so whenever he loses which is very often he slams the controller to the floor. I am happy to say that after months of this abuse the controller is still hanging in tough and working 100%.

4.0 out of 5 stars FINE FOR CASUAL GAMERS, January 29, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Xbox Controller S-Black (Video Game)
Okay, so you have your Xbox ready to play. You are putting the giant "Bigfoot" controller in your hands. You are sitting on the couch wondering if your hands will ever be able to fit around this monsterous controller. Well, now they will thanks to the new Controller S from Microsoft. This controller is perfectly sized for small and large hands. You can move it around easily, and it is more compact than the original Xbox controller. It has wires, but they are very long so they can reach to your sofa or easychair. When I got my Xbox, I bought "Project Gotham Racing" with it. It came with a basic "S" controller, and I was very happy. Even better, It is less confusing to use than that of the PS2. Even though the PS2's controller is nice, it has very odd button placement and the buttons are close together, so you can't really get a grip on the controller. The Controller S is very well designed with smaller children in mind. The only flaw that this controller has is that when you play a game with a lot of vibration, the little spinners that make the controller vibrate, get loud and annoying. I think that this may only be a problem in my Controller S but maybe it is a flaw in a load of them. The price is reasonable for a wired controller, but for an extra ten dollars, you could get a Logitech Wireless controller. They are very good also, but you have to push down on the A, B, Y, and X buttons for them to work properly.

BOTTOM LINE: This is a great controller for casual gamers, but not really for pros. I would recomend this product if you don't care if the vibraters whir loudly. The price is reasonable, but for a few more dollars, you could go wireless.

Xbox Controller S-Black
Xbox Controller S-Black by Microsoft Software (Xbox)
$72.49