1,348 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The only must-have accessory for the Xbox One
Published 12 months ago by Vdub

2.0 out of 5 stars Had issues with both gamepads, going to return them.
I bought the gamepad for my PC and was excited when it arrived. It looked good and the size was just nice for my small hands. However, upon using it, I realised the analog sticks do not recenter at the same spot. They get released approximately 5% to 10% of the way away from middle depending on which direction it was when you released the analog stick. This was more...
Published 4 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars The only must-have accessory for the Xbox One, November 22, 2013
Vdub (Saratoga Springs, UT, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Though your Xbox One controller runs on AA batteries and includes one pair of them, it's so much nicer to have the Play and Charge Kit rather than burning through costly AA batteries. Even rechargeable AA batteries aren't as good, they don't last quite as long per discharge, and you have to remove them to recharge them. It's much easier to just plug in the charging cable when your juice is low.

These rechargeable batteries seem a little smaller than the Xbox 360 ones, but worked great all through my Xbox One's launch night. The only very minor downside is it takes a few seconds longer to swap these batteries out than it did to swap out an Xbox 360 battery, but I like the tradeoff of having the Xbox One controller be slimmer and sleeker since there isn't a big battery jutting out the back. The swap time doesn't really matter anyway since you use the cable to recharge it, where on the 360 I usually swapped one out of my Quick Charge kit (Microsoft hasn't yet released a similar product for the Xbox One yet).

The charging cable is sufficiently long to play from my couch (8 feet away from my TV). Took an hour or so for the initial charging to finish from whatever capacity percentage these come from the factory. Don't bother with the third-party junk batteries. While the cable is just a basic micro USB and interchangeable, off-brand rechargeable batteries are rarely worth bothering with for the small difference in price. The cable itself seems pretty high quality too though, it snaps in and has a very solid connection, which I like.

My only complaint isn't about this product, but about the Xbox One design. The single USB port is on the console's left side instead of how the Xbox 360 has two ports on the front. This makes it not reach quite as far, and is also more risky in the event of someone tripping over the cable. Instead of it just yanking out, it might tug the cord in a bad way and damage the cable or the USB port.

I recommend buying the bundle with the controller for a $10 discount though ($75 instead of $60+$25=$85), unless you only ever plan on having one controller I suppose. Amazon is sold out of those at the time of this review, but my local Best Buy and Walmart still had stacks of them, so you may want to try a local store.

Update 2013.11.24: I've gotten at least about 20 hours of on-time without the battery dying since I got my Xbox One. I didn't go until it died before plugging in the cable, but it seems to have about as much life in it as the old Xbox 360 rechargeables. Maybe even a little bit more since all my 360 ones are aging and gradually losing their charge, though this one will probably do the same over time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lithium Ion battery pack makes this the only charge kit worth buying so far., November 28, 2013
John E. Pombrio (Manchester, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I would recommend these over the charging kits and stands only for one reason, the battery pack is a lithium ion pack rather than a NiMH battery pack. Yes, having to plug in the cable to recharge is a pain and there is no way to recharge outside of the controller. I will accept all that becuase I have found Lithium-Ion batteries in my power tools so much superior than the old NiMH batteries. the "shelf life" ( how long they can sit and still hold a charge) is amazing with L-I batteries and they last much longer in use.
I have now drained the pack enough to recharge the controller and it has been used close to 20 hours.
One star off for not having a charge station (yet) where you could plug in and charge the controllers by using the charging station rather than having to plug in each controller individually to a USB cable. The 360 controller battery pack charging station is a terrific idea and ZI would like to see one for the One also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Controller, December 4, 2013
This review is from: Xbox One Wireless Controller (Video Game)
I really enjoy the design and feel of the Xbox One controller. It has all the ease of use as the Xbox 360 controller, and feels about the same if not better in your hands. Its weird the first time you play a game that utilizes the rumble in the trigger and it goes off. Pretty cool.

Only thing that i had to get use to while utilizing the control is the LB and RB buttons have a complete different feel in order to hit them, but once you get use to it you will not have a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly flawless controller, good value with P&C bundle, November 22, 2013
Vdub (Saratoga Springs, UT, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am verrry glad Microsoft didn't change the successful controller formula they came up with many years ago. This is a fantastic controller. It feels like a tiny bit of a better fit in my hands than the 360 controller, and I like the new ridges on the thumbsticks.

There were only two things I ever really thought they needed to change from the 360 controller, and they did both: Fix the crappy D-pad (it is much better now), and move the guide/dashboard button. I like how it is higher up on the controller now so you won't ever accidentally hit it when going for the start/back buttons.

Speaking of which, I guess that's my only very minor complaint. They should have stuck with "Start" and "Back" as the names for those two center buttons. It sounds a lot less cool to read "Press the menu button to begin" on the Killer Instinct main screen, rather than the classic "Press Start". But, not a big deal.

The rechargeable batteries seem a little smaller than the Xbox 360 ones, but worked great all through my Xbox One's launch night. The only very minor downside is it takes a few seconds longer to swap these batteries out than it did to swap out an Xbox 360 battery, but I like the tradeoff of having the Xbox One controller be slimmer and sleeker since there isn't a big battery jutting out the back.

FYI: While amazon is sold out of these bundles at the moment, I saw stacks of them at my local Best Buy and Walmarts, so you may want to check there. It is definitely worth getting this bundle since it's $10 cheaper than buying both items separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much the best controller out there, November 22, 2013
ceLeon (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 2:01 Mins

We all know that the xbox 360's controller was very close to a perfect controller and it was universally liked and it was hard to improve on top of it but Microsoft still did it. They managed to create an even better version of their controller and this is my experience so far.

Good:
Trigger improvements: Microsoft included what they called `Impulse triggers" under the triggers for a very unique result while playing games such as Forza 5
Better D-Pad: The main complaint with the past controller was the squishy D-Pad it had which was not very precise and hard to press. All those bad things are gone with the new buttons.
Analog sticks accuracy has improved considerably and their grippy texture feels amazing. You'll notice the difference especially if you have sweaty hands
Battery life is impressive. I've yet to deplete the duracell included AA batteries after a more than 6-7 hours, which is the time it took my PS4 controller to die. The space to put the batteries in the back is not as prominent as the 360's controller reducing the bulkiness appearance. Even after your batteries die, you will be able to use the controller with a wired connection using the micro USB port.
According to what I read, the Xbox uses the Kinect to know when you've put the controller down, to watch TV for example, and puts it in a state which consumes less power than usual.

So-So:
Analog sticks are smaller and you might like that and you might not depending on your hand size I guess. For me, I wouldn't mind them being a little bit bigger, but it's not really a bad thing, just wanted to mention it

Bad:
The bumpers have changed and I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker with this controller but if I had to say something bad about it, it's this. They are more difficult to press/click than the 360's version so depending on the game you're playing, if it has heavy use of the bumpers you might need some extra time to get used to them.
It doesn't come with a rechargeable battery out of the box so you need to buy it separately (like in this item you're reading) but as I mentioned before you won't need to do this very often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant improvement- Upgraded D-pad, Impulse triggers, and ridiculously and comfortably slick, November 18, 2013
This review is from: Xbox One Wireless Controller (Video Game)
Ok, first, let me get one thing out of the way.
The xbox 360 controller was probably one of the best, if not the best, gaming pads I have ever had the privilege to use. Even after all these years on market, it never gets old.

Now, the X1 controller is, without a doubt, a new standard in the xbox's line-up of controllers. I have bought this one from gamestop and it's in my home, ready to be played with the xbox one, so this review is a summary of using the controller from all of the events that I have attended (xbox one tours, microsoft store xbox one events, e3, gamescom, etc.) so I have had a fairly lengthy time using the controller. The ergonomics are simply brilliant as the controller fits snugly in your hand and it is a bit smaller and tighter so all the buttons are more easily reachable.

One of the best things about the new controller is the impulse triggers feature. Oh, man. These things are just great. They said that they integrated a whole bunch of tiny rumble parts so that when you shoot a weapon, drive a car, run in a game, etc.- whatever you do in a game will match the action to the rumble feedback for more realism. I tried this out with forza and man, this is a world of difference. This feature alone would warrant this controller 5 stars, but the improved grip on the thumbsticks, the more fluid trigger-to-button layout, and the removal of the battery pack bulge on the back add even more value to this controller.

Now, the last thing I have to mention. The D-pad has been finally fixed. It now rests in a depressed setting at the same location as the x360 controller, but now the D-pad is designed to work flawlessly with fighting games and other games that rely more on the D-pad. I tried this out with killer instinct at one of the events and it worked wonders. Huge, huge improvement over the xbox 360 D-pad (which was just awkward).

Overall, the Xbox One controller is brilliant, already piling more improvements and features on top of an already awesome xbox 360 controller.
The improved D-pad, innovative impulse-triggers feedback mechanism, insanely comfortable grip and ergonomics, and other tiny little things make the Xbox One controller a great new addition to the Xbox family of controllers.
Oh, and that sweet looking Xbox logo at the top looks slick as ever.

Hopefully, my impressions/review helped any of you guys and gals out.
Peace and game on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the 360's rechargable bat, November 25, 2013
Lightweight and durable. This charges fast and i havent had to charge it all weekend long. Easy to install GAME ON!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't fumble with batteries., May 12, 2014
Harry B (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
The play and charge kit is a must. Comes with a rechargeable battery and usb cord. The usb can be plugged into the xbox unit so it'll charge while playing. You can also use a USB adapter (any will do, even the ones you get with an iPad), and charge it directly from an outlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Controller for PC Users, July 25, 2014
I don't own an Xbox One, so this review is mainly aimed at PC gamers:

First of all, Microsoft released official PC drivers that allow you to connect an Xbox One controller (they're all both wireless and wired) to a PC using a micro-USB 2.0 cable. The drivers are on Windows Update at the time of this writing (July 2014), and using the USB cable seems to turn it into a pure, no-batteries-needed wired controller. It is also said to be compatible with all existing games that work with the Xbox 360 controller.

From a speedrunner's perspective, the reduced dead zones on the joysticks, the wired responsiveness (I used to use wireless 360 controllers), and the more comfortable grip are awesome features of the Xbox One's controller. Oh, and the D-Pad. The D-Pad is amazing, wonderful, and a huge improvement over the 360's, especially if you're fond of Nintendo's D-Pads (they're very similar).

I'd recommend trying one of these at a local game shop before buying here (Amazon's price is notably lower) to make sure you like it. It feels different from an Xbox 360 controller, so if you're coming from that it might be feel a bit weird at first. For me, the Xbox One controller is definitely more comfortable than its predecessor, and I only wish it were backwards compatible on console!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a HUGE change, but it never needed to be., November 18, 2013
This review is from: Xbox One Wireless Controller (Video Game)
The upgrade from the 360 controller to the XB1 controller isn't as significant as the upgrade from the DS3 to the DS4 controller, but it doesn't need to be. So when people say the DS4 is a better improvement than the XB1 controller is, please take that with a grain of salt - because the changes between the 360 and the XB1 controller didn't need to be that drastic.

I had the ultimate pleasure of playing with the Xbox One at E3, and I have also been playing with it in Microsoft Stores around my area. I simply love the controller. The XB1 controller feels even more natural than the 360 controller, and at one point I completely forgot I was using a new controller because of how naturally fitting it was in my hands - a good thing, I must say.

Thank god the d-pad is better now.. in that it's easier to use. I feel like the d-pad is really cheaply built, though.. which makes me sad. The XB1 controller feels lighter than the 360 controller, and it's probably made of materials that weren't as expensive to mass-produce (yes, I'm saying the 360 controller feels a lot more sturdy than the XB1 controller, but that's also just entirely my opinion, as is this whole "review").

The actual analog sticks feel a BIT smaller than the Xbox 360 ones. I don't know if it's true or not - maybe my fingers got fatter these past few months.

At the end of the day, the controller is very, very comfortable to use. There's no "learning curve," no "adjustment period," no change you need to get used to. Pick it up, turn on your Xbox One, and get going. That's the beauty of it. It didn't NEED any revolutionary changes. The changes it did need to make, however, have finally been made!

Enjoy, everyone! :)

EDIT: 12/16/2014

I've become a bit frustrated with the left and right bumpers on the controller. I have big hands, and my fingers almost always rest on TOP of the left and right shoulder buttons. So you can imagine my disappointment when I try pressing them, only to find out I CANNOT press on them from the top. Only being able to click for shoulder buttons from the sides is a huge bummer, and a pretty significant step backwards. I wish this wasn't the case. Docking half a point. 4.5/5

Xbox One Wireless Controller
Xbox One Wireless Controller by Microsoft Software (Xbox One)
$59.99 $59.00