1,761
Style Name: StandardChange
Price:$49.97 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 22, 2013
Style Name: Controller + Play and Charge Kit
I am verrry glad Microsoft didn't change the successful controller formula they came up with many years ago. This is a fantastic controller. It feels like a tiny bit of a better fit in my hands than the 360 controller, and I like the new ridges on the thumbsticks.

There were only two things I ever really thought they needed to change from the 360 controller, and they did both: Fix the crappy D-pad (it is much better now), and move the guide/dashboard button. I like how it is higher up on the controller now so you won't ever accidentally hit it when going for the start/back buttons.

Speaking of which, I guess that's my only very minor complaint. They should have stuck with "Start" and "Back" as the names for those two center buttons. It sounds a lot less cool to read "Press the menu button to begin" on the Killer Instinct main screen, rather than the classic "Press Start". But, not a big deal.

The rechargeable batteries seem a little smaller than the Xbox 360 ones, but worked great all through my Xbox One's launch night. The only very minor downside is it takes a few seconds longer to swap these batteries out than it did to swap out an Xbox 360 battery, but I like the tradeoff of having the Xbox One controller be slimmer and sleeker since there isn't a big battery jutting out the back.

The charging cable is sufficiently long to play from my couch (8 feet away from my TV). Took an hour or so for the initial charging to finish from whatever capacity percentage these come from the factory. Don't bother with the third-party junk batteries. While the cable is just a basic micro USB and interchangeable, off-brand rechargeable batteries are rarely worth bothering with for the small difference in price.

FYI: While amazon is sold out of these bundles at the moment, I saw stacks of them at my local Best Buy and Walmarts, so you may want to check there. It is definitely worth getting this bundle since it's $10 cheaper than buying both items separately.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 22, 2013
Style Name: Controller + Play and Charge KitVerified Purchase
We all know that the xbox 360's controller was very close to a perfect controller and it was universally liked and it was hard to improve on top of it but Microsoft still did it. They managed to create an even better version of their controller and this is my experience so far.

Good:
Trigger improvements: Microsoft included what they called `Impulse triggers" under the triggers for a very unique result while playing games such as Forza 5
Better D-Pad: The main complaint with the past controller was the squishy D-Pad it had which was not very precise and hard to press. All those bad things are gone with the new buttons.
Analog sticks accuracy has improved considerably and their grippy texture feels amazing. You'll notice the difference especially if you have sweaty hands
Battery life is impressive. I've yet to deplete the duracell included AA batteries after a more than 6-7 hours, which is the time it took my PS4 controller to die. The space to put the batteries in the back is not as prominent as the 360's controller reducing the bulkiness appearance. Even after your batteries die, you will be able to use the controller with a wired connection using the micro USB port.
According to what I read, the Xbox uses the Kinect to know when you've put the controller down, to watch TV for example, and puts it in a state which consumes less power than usual.

So-So:
Analog sticks are smaller and you might like that and you might not depending on your hand size I guess. For me, I wouldn't mind them being a little bit bigger, but it's not really a bad thing, just wanted to mention it

Bad:
The bumpers have changed and I wouldn't say it's a deal breaker with this controller but if I had to say something bad about it, it's this. They are more difficult to press/click than the 360's version so depending on the game you're playing, if it has heavy use of the bumpers you might need some extra time to get used to them.
It doesn't come with a rechargeable battery out of the box so you need to buy it separately (like in this item you're reading) but as I mentioned before you won't need to do this very often.
on November 19, 2013
Style Name: Standard
Ok, first, let me get one thing out of the way.
The xbox 360 controller was probably one of the best, if not the best, gaming pads I have ever had the privilege to use. Even after all these years on market, it never gets old.

Now, the X1 controller is, without a doubt, a new standard in the xbox's line-up of controllers. I have bought this one from gamestop and it's in my home, ready to be played with the xbox one, so this review is a summary of using the controller from all of the events that I have attended (xbox one tours, microsoft store xbox one events, e3, gamescom, etc.) so I have had a fairly lengthy time using the controller. The ergonomics are simply brilliant as the controller fits snugly in your hand and it is a bit smaller and tighter so all the buttons are more easily reachable.

One of the best things about the new controller is the impulse triggers feature. Oh, man. These things are just great. They said that they integrated a whole bunch of tiny rumble parts so that when you shoot a weapon, drive a car, run in a game, etc.- whatever you do in a game will match the action to the rumble feedback for more realism. I tried this out with forza and man, this is a world of difference. This feature alone would warrant this controller 5 stars, but the improved grip on the thumbsticks, the more fluid trigger-to-button layout, and the removal of the battery pack bulge on the back add even more value to this controller.

Now, the last thing I have to mention. The D-pad has been finally fixed. It now rests in a depressed setting at the same location as the x360 controller, but now the D-pad is designed to work flawlessly with fighting games and other games that rely more on the D-pad. I tried this out with killer instinct at one of the events and it worked wonders. Huge, huge improvement over the xbox 360 D-pad (which was just awkward).

Overall, the Xbox One controller is brilliant, already piling more improvements and features on top of an already awesome xbox 360 controller.
The improved D-pad, innovative impulse-triggers feedback mechanism, insanely comfortable grip and ergonomics, and other tiny little things make the Xbox One controller a great new addition to the Xbox family of controllers.
Oh, and that sweet looking Xbox logo at the top looks slick as ever.

Hopefully, my impressions/review helped any of you guys and gals out.
Peace and game on.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2013
Style Name: StandardVerified Purchase
I really enjoy the design and feel of the Xbox One controller. It has all the ease of use as the Xbox 360 controller, and feels about the same if not better in your hands. Its weird the first time you play a game that utilizes the rumble in the trigger and it goes off. Pretty cool.

Only thing that i had to get use to while utilizing the control is the LB and RB buttons have a complete different feel in order to hit them, but once you get use to it you will not have a problem.
on July 25, 2014
I don't own an Xbox One, so this review is mainly aimed at PC gamers:

First of all, Microsoft released official PC drivers that allow you to connect an Xbox One controller (they're all both wireless and wired) to a PC using a micro-USB 2.0 cable. The drivers are on Windows Update at the time of this writing (July 2014), and using the USB cable seems to turn it into a pure, no-batteries-needed wired controller. It is also said to be compatible with all existing games that work with the Xbox 360 controller.

From a speedrunner's perspective, the reduced dead zones on the joysticks, the wired responsiveness (I used to use wireless 360 controllers), and the more comfortable grip are awesome features of the Xbox One's controller. Oh, and the D-Pad. The D-Pad is amazing, wonderful, and a huge improvement over the 360's, especially if you're fond of Nintendo's D-Pads (they're very similar).

I'd recommend trying one of these at a local game shop before buying here (Amazon's price is notably lower) to make sure you like it. It feels different from an Xbox 360 controller, so if you're coming from that it might be feel a bit weird at first. For me, the Xbox One controller is definitely more comfortable than its predecessor, and I only wish it were backwards compatible on console!
on November 26, 2013
Style Name: StandardVerified Purchase
When I heard that the one had a redesigned controller, I cringed. While I had never loved the 360 controller, I had grown very accustomed to it. I was very worried that this new controller would feel awkward in my hands.

I am glad to report that the new controller is different in good ways, and the same in all the right ways.

The new triggers and bumpers have a great feel and are slightly more ergonomic. The edge of the trigger has been eased where your finger wraps around making it a bit more comfortable for extended game sessions. The trigger has slightly less resistance than the old trigger, which I found acceptable, my son is not as big a fan. The sticks feel a bit more precise, but more than anything they feel the same which is a good thing in my book.

The most obvious change to the controller is the battery pack. The battery pack has been replaced with a AA battery compartment. No longer is there a wart on the backside of the controller, which makes it a bit more comfortable. The batteries are a bit more awkward to swap in a rush than a battery pack was, but it is still very manageable.

The new controller is very slightly heavier at 9 7/8 oz vs 9 1/2 oz.

The dpad is now recessed, but feels right.

The location of the X, back and start buttons is a little awkward if you are used to the old controller. Thankfully these are not often used in the heat of the moment and they are generally close enough to where they were to find them by feel.

Checkout my pictures to see the difference in the trigger.
review image
on November 29, 2014
Style Name: StandardVerified Purchase
After 6 months of heavy FPS use, the right thumbstick gets stuck in a slightly forward position causing a slow drift towards the sky when not touching the controller. I'm now on to my 3rd controller since launch. Very disappointed in the durability of these controllers compared to the Xbox 360.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 18, 2013
Style Name: Standard
The upgrade from the 360 controller to the XB1 controller isn't as significant as the upgrade from the DS3 to the DS4 controller, but it doesn't need to be. So when people say the DS4 is a better improvement than the XB1 controller is, please take that with a grain of salt - because the changes between the 360 and the XB1 controller didn't need to be that drastic.

I had the ultimate pleasure of playing with the Xbox One at E3, and I have also been playing with it in Microsoft Stores around my area. I simply love the controller. The XB1 controller feels even more natural than the 360 controller, and at one point I completely forgot I was using a new controller because of how naturally fitting it was in my hands - a good thing, I must say.

Thank god the d-pad is better now.. in that it's easier to use. I feel like the d-pad is really cheaply built, though.. which makes me sad. The XB1 controller feels lighter than the 360 controller, and it's probably made of materials that weren't as expensive to mass-produce (yes, I'm saying the 360 controller feels a lot more sturdy than the XB1 controller, but that's also just entirely my opinion, as is this whole "review").

The actual analog sticks feel a BIT smaller than the Xbox 360 ones. I don't know if it's true or not - maybe my fingers got fatter these past few months.

At the end of the day, the controller is very, very comfortable to use. There's no "learning curve," no "adjustment period," no change you need to get used to. Pick it up, turn on your Xbox One, and get going. That's the beauty of it. It didn't NEED any revolutionary changes. The changes it did need to make, however, have finally been made!

Enjoy, everyone! :)

EDIT: 12/16/2014

I've become a bit frustrated with the left and right bumpers on the controller. I have big hands, and my fingers almost always rest on TOP of the left and right shoulder buttons. So you can imagine my disappointment when I try pressing them, only to find out I CANNOT press on them from the top. Only being able to click for shoulder buttons from the sides is a huge bummer, and a pretty significant step backwards. I wish this wasn't the case. Docking half a point. 4.5/5
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2014
Style Name: StandardVerified Purchase
Using it with my PC for certain PC games. Windows 7 discovered it, installed drivers automatically.
Unfortunately I can not use it wireless, its plugged in via Micro USB cable.
Works great with most of my games that are Controller compatible.
Most FPS games I prefer to use Keyboard/mouse - better control/precision (for me at least).
But some games like Trine 2, Lego games, Assassin's Creed games, Batman games - the keyboard moues controls feel bad, and the console controls feel better.
If the wireless part of the controller can work with PC (using adapter, or something). This will be 5 star!
on December 6, 2013
Style Name: Controller + Play and Charge Kit
Ok, first, let me get one thing out of the way.

Oh, and that sweet looking Xbox logo at the top looks slick as ever.

Hopefully, my impressions/review helped any of you guys and gals out.
Peace and game on.