5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little scanner
In our business, we scan a lot of federal documents - and these sheet fed scanners are absolutely indispensable. Over the last year, we've used the Xerox DocuMate 3125, Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500, Epson WorkForce GT-S50, and the Fujitsu fi-6130Z sheet-fed scanners.

Published on June 24, 2012 by D. Matheny

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent scanner
Published 18 months ago by SteveB

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little scanner, June 24, 2012
This review is from: Xerox XDM31255M-WU DocuMate 3125 Color Sheetfed Scanner for Documents and Plastic Cards converting them to Digital Files, 25ppm and 44ipm with One Touch Technology (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

For us, the fi-6130z was the clear winner for various reasons; but, this Xerox DocuMate will definitely appeal to many people.

Here are the things I liked about the DocuMate 3125:

- The Software was easy to install and configure. It did take some time to set up all the functions how we wanted them - but that's true with most of these models.

- The hardware is excellent. It's as fast as any of the other models we tested - and it handles multiple sheets of paper well. It doesn't separate sheets as well as the 6130z - but it costs half as much, so I wouldn't expect it to.

- I like the configuration options on the scanner itself. This is one area where the Xerox actually bests the 6130z, simply for the reason that we can select simplex or duplex scans by pressing a single button.

- It supports both TWAIN & ISIS drivers. (I still can't believe that the Fujitsu Scan Snap doesn't support TWAIN!)

- It is very compact. This is true of all the models I mentioned above; but, I figured I should mention it anyway.

If I were to rank all the scanners we've been using, the results would depend on the user type.

For business users, I would rank it like this:
1) Fujitsu 6130z
2) Xerox DocuMate 3125 (I only ranked this above the Scan Snap because of its TWAIN support. If you don't care about TWAIN, I would reverse these two.)
3) Fujitsu Scan Snap
4) Epson GT-50

For someone who just wants the convenience of a sheet fed scanner (including business users who don't use it as part of a larger system):
1) Fujitsu Scan Snap or Xerox DocuMate 3125
2) Fujitsu 6130z
3) Epson GT-50

Overall, if you're looking for a capable and highly configurable sheet-fed scanner, I think you could do a lot worse than this DocuMate. Especially when considering the cost, I think the DocuMate is an excellent value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hardware, OK software. Compared to Snapscan and Cannon., May 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a Fujitsu Snapscan Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet-Fed Scanner for PC, a Canon imageFORMULA DR-C125 Canon imageFORMULA DR-C125 Document Scanner, and this Xerox.

The Fujitsu is the leader of the pack and is the product to beat. Although the Cannon and the Xerox come close, they fall short.

The common things between all three are a very fast, double sided scan, that can produce high quality scans. The major difference between the 3 are the software that comes with each model. The Fujitsu uses a very good organizing software bundled with Adobe Acrobat while the Cannon and the Xerox use a product set from Nuance software.

The software that is bundled from Fujitsu is just simple to use and is very productive (easy to organize). While the Nuance set up with Omnipage and Paperport are functional, they simply have a learning curve that is not where I want to spend my time. Especially with the ease of the Fujitsu product - and all scanners are at the same price point.

The bottom line is, all 3 scanners work equally well in the hardware department, but the software is what really keeps the Fujitsu ahead.

If you do choose another model other than the snap scan : here are some other points to consider:

1. The cannon has a weird paper path
2. The Xerox has a nice feature where you can set your scanning preferences right on the scanner, which is nice if you scan lots of different documents that need different settings. You normally have to access the software on the computer to change - not hard or laborious, but this is a nice simple feature
3. Tha cannon does mac and pc (fujitsu has a different model for each)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with this scanner, June 17, 2012
I've scanned small thin gas station receipts, plastic insurance cards, photos, and letter-size documents. Everything feeds fine, and the quality is very good. The supplied software works fine. The default scanner modes are configured to scan to email, to Word (OCR), to your printer, to searchable PDF, etc. and you can select these, plus a few more modes from the front panel on the scanner, without having to launch any software. I like the fact that the scanner can create and automatically name the scanned files, and it stores them in the directory you specify. Very easy and convenient to go paperless and stay on top of your receipts, bills, etc.

Ths software supplied with the scanner appears to be generic, and the resolution and brightness settings are clearly not optimized "out of the box". A few minutes adjusting these settings will yield improved OCR performance. I read another reviewer's complaint abouut poor OCR performance, and I'd have probably agreed if I hadn't tweaked the brightness setting. 70% brightness seems to be the sweet spot, instead of the default 50% (higher brightness number = lighter scan). I also changed the resolution from 200 dpi to 300 dpi when scanning to searchable PDFs. You can configure the scanner settings for each scan mode. The software is powerful and very configurable, but you do have to spend some time learning it if you want to get the most out of the scanner.

Although I wish I could have tried a ScanSnap to compare it with the Xerox before making a decision between the two, I chose the Xerox because it's is a newer design, using an LED light source rather than the ScanSnap's fluorescent. I also like the convenience of the front panel buttons on the Xerox. At a duty cycle of 3000 pages/day, I believe the Xerox should also be reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Product Worthy of 5 Stars in Every Way., June 8, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First let me say that I decided a year and a half ago to go all digital. You know the boxes start to pile up in the basement or attic of how many years do you really need to go back with your records? The answer to that is vague no matter what source you try. So I thought why not digitize everything, and do regular backups, even to an outbound device such as a removable hard drive/USB drive for safe keeping. So for the past two years I have been using the Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4540 Wireless All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, Fax (C11CB33201) and delighted that I can stack up a year's worth of for example credit card statements and it will scan all of them, and convert to PDF files. The only problem is the amount of time it takes in order to do that. So the dream of being able to go through all of the old boxes, and completely shred them after scanning had this major obstacle of the amount of time it would take to do all of that. It was fine when working in the current year, but going through the archives is a job I have been putting on hold.

Then along comes this Xerox DocuMate 3125 that scans 25 pages per minute, or 44 pages per minute in duplex, in black and white, grayscale, or color. You just set it up the way you want it, hit one button and Wow everything just flies through. At the factory default 200 dpi setting it allows for some shadows on the scan, but just by increasing this to 300 dpi you get no shadows and an all original level of quality. The speed at the 300 dpi setting doesn't seem to be affected.

So with the 50 page automatic document feeder capability you can load in a whole year worth of statements, and scan them both sides all automatically, and in a flash. The advantage of this is in the filing system. I just have them scanned directly into that accounts folder. So let's say I have a Citibank Folder, and then I create a sub-folder with just the last 4 digits of the account number, and then they year becomes a sub folder to that. So it looks like this for example, Citibank\5138\2012. So the entire years worth of scans goes right into the 2012 folder for that account, and yes each page is a separate PDF, so if you want you can go back in and rename them for each month, or just let it be, and if you sorted them according to date, the proper month would be easy to find.

I noticed the comments about a learning curve for the software. Doesn't every feature rich software contain a certain amount of a learning curve to it? Xerox wrote the book on scanning and the software suite included with this scanner is second to none. Just because someone doesn't want to become familiar with it and would rather use the old tried and true that they are already familiar with is no reason to bash this incredible software suite. Xerox knows how to produce a Mickey Mouse version for toddler to use but they are the king of office scan, print, sort, organize. Yes I spent a little time learning the tricks to get it to do what I wanted it to specifically, but fortunately every option was there. Yes there are four different software suites to load. Is that a problem? With today's hard drive capacity for such a little bit of money you would think everyone would be delighted at having so much functionality.

The other big advantage to this is it is so small, and the bottom tray flips up, and the top folds down making it such a compact unit that it sits conveniently on your desk. You could sum it up in two words, small and powerful. Due to the incredibly small footprint enabling you to keep it desktop you don't need a big LCD screen on the unit with a lot of outbound programming functions, it all happens on the PC right alongside it. Can you tell I love this thing? There are several function buttons on it, one allows you to select numerically 1 of 9 pre-sets on a well lit up blue numerical indicator area with a simple up and down arrow on it, as well as having a "Simplex" and "Duplex" buttons and a power on-off switch. Everything else is done through the PC.

So you can fine tune the way you prefer to scan on the PC, and save up to 9 user presets, and access them right from the control panel with a simple up and down arrow, with a large well lit numeric number and then hit one button for your scan. So the idea of not having a big control panel on the outbound unit so you can do custom programming work while standing up is a mute one.
You may think okay this thing flies and after reading my comment about the 200 dpi setting you may think this is a super duty fast industrial grade scanner, but what I also want to emphasize is that with the software package that is included you have a lot more features, and this thing will scan documents at high resolutions and overall sizes as well; however while it is recording every little nuance on a micro-scale it takes time to do that as well. That requires a lot of passes on the scanning head. So yes it does the super critical stuff as well.

In order to emphasize all that this does with the included software suite, and since it is not placed on this Amazon page as of the day of this review, I want to copy and paste what Zerox displays as their individual software functions. Believe me with all of these kinds of capabilities I don't mind spending an extra 15 minutes loading the software which it all does automatically for you. Check this out:
Visioneer®
OneTouch
OneTouch is an easy-to-use utility that connects the DocuMate® scanner with a powerful set of scanner settings to greatly improve the efficiency of your workflow -- so that with one touch the document is scanned automatically to email, Microsoft® Word, your printer, a file folder, or to one of many cloud destinations.
Acuity
Acuity enables your scanner to instantly improve the visual clarity of every document that you scan. Using advanced algorithms and dynamic thresholding Acuity will intelligently correct documents containing imperfections, improve quality of scanned images for archiving, increase OCR accuracy, and save time.
DriverPLUS
DriverPLUS is a new generation of driver technology that is based on TWAIN(tm) 2.1 specifications that provides advanced features and greater reliability for both users and system integrators. DriverPLUS combines the features of advanced 32- and 64-bit native Windows®-based TWAIN and WIA drivers PLUS new Acuity optimization software and a sophisticated user interface.
Nuance® PaperPort®
Millions of professionals rely on PaperPort to save time and money by transforming paper documents into searchable digital documents. PaperPort combines the efficiency of document management, the convenience of superbly scanned documents and the power of creating PDF files, to bring a new level of operational proficiency to your organization.
OmniPage® Pro
OmniPage Pro provides a precise OCR and layout retention solution, quickly turning scanned documents into editable, formatted text. The text can then be used in virtually any word processing, desktop publishing or web publishing program.
Text Searchable PDF
Transform volumes of paper or photos into organized digital files that can be quickly found, used and shared. In searchable PDF format, the user can instantly search documents for keywords or phrases. This provides additional archival benefits beyond traditional storage, and the widely accepted PDF format lets everyone view and print documents -- on any computer.

So that about says it all. I didn't want you to be swayed by those who think loading superlative programs into their computer is a waste of time, nor do they want to learn how to use all of those features to dissuade you away from something that does such a marvelous job. So if you are looking for compress all of those boxes of tax records before throwing them out, knowing you would like to have access to anything at any time with just a few clicks, or have a business with tons of filing cabinets loaded with papers and records that would serve you a lot better if they were all digitized, then this is the model that will do all of that for you, and do it so quickly you will be amazed at how fast the papers fly out. JUST BE SURE TO BACKUP the scanned files before shredding or tossing them. Having searchable PDF documents is worth its weight in gold alone. So clean up the clutter, take advantage of the digital age, and have everything at the touch of a finger, neatly organized on your hard drive; no having to get up and sort through records to find one like you do with filing cabinets. You can dream of doing this with a flat bed scanner, but the time you save with this Documate 3125 makes it not only practical, but doable. Need a record from 10 years ago; it is at your fingertips. Highly, highly recommended piece of equipment.

I have this 3125 sitting on my side desk, and under that desk I have the Powershred MS-460Cs Safe Sense 10 sheet Confetti Cut Shredder so it stick out enough (just the front section with the shredder slot and on-off button, so I am ready to process any junk mail or documents all of the time with no effort. So the idea is scan and shred, and clean up the clutter. Neat, clean and organized is just another way of saying I feel good. I love it, and you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xerox 3125 is fast and quiet, October 24, 2013
A nice small-ish compact scanner, this scanner, about the size of an old inkjet printer, works really well for scanning documents.
I can use it for scanning documents and it turns things into PDFs and recognizes the text.

What I really like is that this is one touch, just like my old flatbed scanner, but it's much quicker and quieter and I don't have to go in and scan each page individually. This takes a stack and goes though the whole thing by itself. And there's no conversions to do afterwards.

It does color or black text, which is great for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars created free paperless scan software, October 1, 2012
I purchased the Xerox DocuMate 3125 through amazon and received it two days later thanks to Prime. I was torn between the xerox and the fujitsu. To me it seemed the Fujitsu had better software but the Xerox had better hardware. I am very glad I picked the Xerox. For me I am doing simple filing so the one touch buttons were all I needed (1 for black and white searchable pdf's going to my cans in waiting folder and 2 color with same settings).

The only thing I found lacking was an easy utility to get my scans from their default "scans in waiting" folder to their respect folders in my virtual filing cabinet. So I wrote a program to do it for me. It was written in Java so it will work with mac or windows. It is free and you can download it here where I go over my going paperless experience:
stupid amazon won't let me post hyperlink so I will spell it out...
L337Tech dot com forward slash apps

The program renames the file, adding a date and timestamp, then places the file in its appropriate folder. With the combination of the Xerox DocuMate 3125 and my program Quick Jobs, I can file stuff way quicker than I could manually using a manual filing cabinet. And the best part is that all my documents are now "searchable" using adobe's file indexer installed on windows 7. So if I need something I just use the search bar in my virtual filing cabinet. awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but excellent and efficient, December 19, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using this scanner since last 6 months and found it to be a great addition to my home office.

Set-up and installation:
Super easy and quick with the included CD and on-screen instructions. Had to call customer service to set up a little tab correctly in order to enable correct movement of paper inside and scan.

Scan & Save:
Works perfectly with the included Nuance Paper Port software. This software is very quick and fast to scan documents and save them to a user specified (or default) location in My Documents. You can set up per your convenience and set the desired format like jpeg, pdf etc.

Scanner options:
A quick one button scan with single and duplex options are available right on the scanner.

Size:
It looks very elegant with silver-gray and black color tones and is a nice addition to any set-up.
IT folds nicely to a reasonably small size and takes about 11"x5" space (when folded).

Scanning speed:
Very fast as advertised in product description. I was able to convert lot of older document stacks to electronic format within minutes.

Overall, this product is highly recommended if scanning (especially in bulk) documents is your primary need, and your budget allows to spend this much.
IT is definitely a pricey item, but worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast document scanner - easy to set up and use!, November 11, 2013
Length:: 1:37 Mins

I scan contracts all day and needed a quick and easy scanner. This more than meets my needs! I choose it because of the size - I wanted something that doesn't take up a lot of space. The set up was so easy and with the toolbar option for my computer it gives me scanning capability at a seconds notice. I like that you can control it manually or via the computer. It scans very quickly and immediately saves the files to where I need them.

One feature I'm really excited about is that it does handle double sided scanning. Not many scanners out there can do this. This is probably the easiest scanner and the best quality I've seen in a long time. This is the best office purchase I have made all year.

If you are looking for a quick scanner that doesn't take up too much room and easily saves files to your computer - this is the scanner for you. Couldn't be happier with this purchase!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent scanner, July 31, 2013
Works as advertised. Has paper jams more often than I like but not so often I am sorry I bought it....... so far. The PaperPort software that comes with it does not support scanning within PaperPort with Windows 8 but if you contact Xerox within 30 days of purchase you can get the version of PaperPort software that does work with Windows 8 for free. But you don't really need the PaperPort software. The Xerox software provides all the options you need for 1 button scanning.

5.0 out of 5 stars XEROX DOCUMATE 3125, October 19, 2013
I purchased this scanner to help me in my house mainly. It was hard to keep track of all my papers and try to keep them organized. It was easy to set up I just had to install the disc and then it was ready. It was smaller than I thought and I was able to put it anywhere because of its size. I was able to stack multiple papers and just select the button and it ran. It does 25 pages per minute so that's pretty fast. I have always had a scanner that was black and white but decided this time to buy a color scanner. The colors are great and now I have the option of how my documents will scan.

The scanner is also able to detect if there's a staple and lets you know so it won't get stuck and ruin your papers. It also has a great feature called ACUITY that improves clarity and improves imperfections in documents. I saw how it works on a car dealership invoice. It made it very clear to understand when it was scanned because usually the background makes it hard to be scanned. So far I really like the way this scanner is working and I will recommend it to anyone looking for a great scanner.

It had pre-programmed formats too so that I can easily choose what type of format I want my scan on. So I can send it by email make a PDF or other options by just selecting that option.