I went on a 2 week quest to find the perfect scanner for my mobile notary business. There were a few requirements. First, I need to be able to scan legal sized documents. Secondly, I need to be able to scan to my Android Phone or Tablet. Third, I need to do it fast and as easily as possible.

The first scanner I ordered was the Zerox Mobile Scanner. I unpacked...
Published on September 7, 2012 by Debra L. Oatman

2.0 out of 5 stars what a mess to set this up
Published 20 months ago by Wolf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent scanner for a Mobile Notary or any mobile Professional, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)

The first scanner I ordered was the Zerox Mobile Scanner. I unpacked it and saw that the documentation stated that the largest paper size it can scan it 85 x 11. I packed it up and sent it right back after I called Zerox customer service and was told that the instructions were correct and their web site incorrectly stated that it could scan legal size. I was not happy. Thankfully, Amazon took it back and refunded my money in full.

Then I tried one of those handheld wand things that wouldn't even scan at all.

Then I tried one of those scanners that you power with your usb on your tablet or computer. My tablet couldn't power it and I would need to use a powered USB HUB, which meant I had to have a power outlet anyway, so I returned that.

Then I got to Doxie Go. It actually worked out OK and would have been acceptable even though it wasn't able to scan to my Android devices as PDF files. I needed a thrid party app to convert them and group them into one PDF file that I could email out. It scans everythinng as a photo, rather than as a document like the ZMS can do. The converted (via 3rd party app) PDF document file came through looking like a photo of the document because it was. It was not bad, but it wasn't the professional PDF looking file I was hoping for. The Doxie Go was also a little slow transferring via Eye-Fi to my device.

I was miffed that the Zerox wasn't able to scan legal because I was exactly what I needed other than that. I called them again because I noticed they did not revise their web site to reflect the correct info about the maximum scan size. This time, I got a nice young man who informed me that it could scan legal sized documents, they just didn't change this on the instructions that came with it. Well DANG! So, I ordered another one.

Guess what? It DOES scan legal size and it does it beautifully. I paired the Eye-Fi to both my Android tablet and phone and I can switch back and forth between the two depending on which one I am using.

The scanned documents come out very good. Being able to scan several pages and have it appear almost instantly on my device as a clear, professional looking PDFfile is exactly what I needed.I found it to be pretty fast scanning documents. One thing that took a while to get the hang of was making a multipage PDF file. After the first page goes through, the light next to your scan setting will flash. You have to stick on the next page when it starts flashing. If you try to put it in too soon, you disrupt it and have to start over. If you don't stick in the next page within 10 seconds of the last one, it disrupts it and you have to start over. Once I got the hang of it, it worked well.

I can also attach the included cable directly to my phone and scan to it that way, but honestly the Eye-Fi transfer is so fast that I see no reason to use a cable.

Additionally, you can scan to an SD card or flash drive and transfer that way. But again, the speed of the Eye-fi transfer makes it the easiest, fastest way for me.

So, will I be returning the Doxie Go? No way. It scans such beautiful photos and works great for home use. I will use the ZMS for business and the Doxie Go for personal use. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Scanner, May 7, 2012
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
Did not buy at Amazon but at Frys electronics. Scans are fast and have great detail even though it only scans at 300dpi. Must charge up via wall outlet or via USB on a computer. Instructions are very specific about not using it while plugged in. It states it can scan up to 300 times on one charge so it shouldn't be a problem. Have not tried the wireless option yet since I just scan with a USB flash disk in the device then move the flash disk to the computer to transfer the files. Also has the option to scan multiple pages to one file.

5.0 out of 5 stars Price, Eye-Fi, Searchable PDF, Evernote, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
I was looking for a low maintenance, low profile scanner that would help me reduce my paper clutter from receipts and mail. The scanner also had to make it easy to stay organize, otherwise I'd get tired of it. I eventually chose to go with the Xerox Mobile Scanner because of its price, it included Eye-Fi, it included software that automatically create searchable PDF files, and it did all that wirelessly. In this review I will compare the XMS to other scanners I was looking at. You will see my thought process and how I came to make a decision to choose the XMS. Then I will describe how I use the XMS to stay organized.

COMPARISON

I was looking for a small, low profile scanner. At first I used my smartphone as a scanner because there was no extra expense involved and it's as low profile as a scanner gets. I realized that I didn't want pictures of a bunch of receipts and documents in my phone. I also got tired of the hassle of moving scans to my computer. I wanted something more automatic, wireless, and had more controllable features.

Then I looked at handheld scanners. They were definitely low profile, portable, and budget friendly. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one with wireless features I could accept. Some handheld scanners had WIFI, but to connect to it involved disconnecting from the network when transferring files wirelessly. Then I looked at handheld scanners with Bluetooth. Although they didn't involve disconnecting from a WIFI network, files could not be transferred automatically.

During my search for a scanner, I stumbled upon the Eye-Fi SD card. I saw that practically any scanner with an SD card slot could use it. I bought the 4gb Eye-Fi Connect X2 for about $30 and gave it a try. I was satisfied with its many wireless and automatic file transfer features.

Later, I learned that the Eye-Fi card I bought wirelessly transferred only videos and pictures. It didn't do that for documents like PDFs. It was the Pro X2 that had that feature and its cheapest price was around $60. I decided to use the Eye-Fi card for my wife's Nikkon camera instead, which I set up to automatically transfer her pictures and videos to her Samsung tablet. My wife was very satisfied with the wireless, hassle free, file transfer process. Happy wife, happy life.

I liked Eye-Fi, so now I had to find a scanner that could use it. I compared the Visioneer Mobility, Doxie Go, and Xerox Mobile Scanner because they were all similar in size and claimed compatibility with Eye-Fi cards. I started at the top with Doxie Go. It had many great features, like 600 DPI scans, but I saw that it lacked the ability to automatically create multi-page scans. It was also priced the highest at around $180 WITHOUT an Eye-Fi card.

The cheapest was Visioneer Mobility at around $100. It had the ability to automatically create multi-page scans. It maxed out at 300 DPI scans, but I could live with the lower DPI. I'd mostly be scanning receipts and other documents, for which 300 DPI is sufficient. For pictures, I'd use my printer's scanner which has higher DPI. No biggie. What I didn't like about the Visioneer Mobility was its design for the SD card slot. The SD card sticks out of the back instead of completely inserting into the scanner. I wouldn't want an Eye-Fi card exposed like that.

Finally, there's the Xerox Mobile Scanner which I purchased on Black Friday for around $165 from Fry's Electronics who did a price match with Best Buy. The XMS comes with a custom 4gb Eye-Fi card that can wirelessly and automatically transfer pictures and PDF files. The XMS can automatically create multi-page scans. The XMS can automatically scan to black & white or colored documents. The XMS comes with useful scanning software... etc...

MY XMS SETUP

Here I will describe I how I set up the XMS, Eye-Fi, Omnipage, and Evernote to organize searchable PDF files. When I scan a document with the XMS, it creates a PDF file which Eye-Fi automatically copies to my computer into my Scanned Documents folder. The XMS comes with the software Omnipage Professional 17 with which I created a workflow and batch job that monitors the Scanned Documents folder. When a file is placed into it, Omnipage automatically processes the file into a searchable PDF and places it into the Processed Documents folder. I use the Import Folder feature from Evernote, which is free software, to monitor the Processed Documents folder. When a file is placed into it, Evernote attaches the file to a note. The note, along with the PDF file, is fully searchable and the contents of each PDF file are readily visible from Evernote. Then from within Evernote, I manually organize the notes.

It takes some time to set up the XMS, Eye-Fi, Omnipage, and Evernote to work together, but when it's done, scanning and staying organized is a more pleasant experience. All I do is scan a document and then a couple of minutes later it's automatically in Evernote. If the setup I have doesn't work for you, Omnipage has other features you might like. Additionaly, the XMS came with the software Paperport 12, which I use to re-order pages in PDF files and to convert PDFs to JPG.

Of course, the setup could be simplified by subscribing to Evernote's premium service, which automatically makes all PDFs searchable. All you'd have to do is set up Eye-Fi to send scans directly to Evernote.

UPDATE:
The scanner also includes Nuance PDF Converter Professional 7. I use it mainly to print directly to PDF. If the software is missing, contact Xerox for a free replacement copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars great portable scanner without the need of hooking up to PC, June 15, 2012
gbpac007 (wisconsin,wi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
setup was breeze.this is a great portable scanner. it doesn't need to be hooked up to a PC at all.can be easily configured to store the documents in NAS with the EYE-FI card.

i'm giving it only 4 stars because eye-fi card has it's shortcomings(no fault of xerox).some times scans appear instantly,some times you have to reebot the computer or the scanner for the scans to appear. you cannot blame xerox for it.the best option would be store it on a sd card or on a USB stick.

the biggest and the most irritating drawback of this scanner is, even when it's connected to the wall outlet, it doesn't stay on all the time. it goes to the sleep mode roughly 2 mins after no use.to wake this thing back, you have to hold the power button down for about 3-5 seconds.when this sort of thing happens in battery mode, it makes sense but not when operating on A.C power. I primarily use this scanner for business purpose, so i would like to keep it on all the time. i called XEROX about it, they said, they are aware of the problem and might issue an update at some time.

overall, i'm satisfied with the product and definitely would recommend it to someone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a scanner that is made for me!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
I had always wanted a reliable mobile scanner, for the past two years I was stuck using the "VuPoint" magic Wand. -Its crap and just sits in my draw. (Reason: When you try to scan something with it, its always, almost always impossible to get a straight scan, it always comes out crooked. With this scanner, because of the automatic feeder, you get a clear, straight scan always. Its the best mobile scanner I've owned. *I also like the option that I can scan many docs and make one big PDF file, for example, I had 10 documents I want to combine into one PDF file, with the scanner, I just continuously feed and it automatically makes one easy-to-use PDF file, Instead of having 10 separate files, I have 1 PDF file with the 10 docs I scanned. -Its amazing! Whats also amazing is with the "eyeFye" Wifi Card is that my scanned pics and docs automatically get sent to my computer.....its super easy! -Best scanner for me!

2.0 out of 5 stars what a mess to set this up, January 12, 2013
Wolf (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
I understand now, why many people have problems to get this to work. The Xerox Mobile Scanner works well and fast. It's the transfer method that is pretty sketchy. It uses a completely different product/service called EYE-FI. This SD type memory card will accept the scan and then, if configured correctly, move the scans to the cloud (the Eye-Fi Center), from where it will go to your mobile device or your laptop. To do that you need a WiFi link that allows free access. You can also buy a premium service and connect to Hot-Spots if you have an account. If there is no WiFi, you can plug the Eye-Fi card directly in your computer (if is has an SD slot) and establish an ad hoc network. For that you need to change your network settings and add a WPA2 password. You can also just open the memory card and drag files over to your computer. Remember this is NOT bluetooth!
All these "options" are difficult to understand and configure. Some help is on the web site for Eye-Fi [...] - Check there first if you are interested in this product. You might feel as I do: the scanner is nice but the whole Eye-Fi set up is too complicated. Eye-Fi Connect X2 4 GB Class 6 SDHC Wireless Flash Memory Card EYE-FI-4CN

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portable scanner with extra goodies!, September 16, 2013
Darren Moore (VENICE, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
This little scanner is great for my needs because it allows me to just carry this devise only. I've also found it useful in uploading to my phone, then emailing or texting from there using the eye-fi card. The eye-fi card is great because it can also be put into a camera that uses SD cards and then uploaded wirelessly through the free iphone or android app.
The portable case is good and protects the scanner well. The included wall power to usb adapter is another bonus, it has all the international plugs included in a nice compact package...you can use the usb adapter to charge your phone or other usb powered electronics with that same adapter! shhhwing!
The eye-fi card software is on the card itself. I noticed that other people had problems setting this up, so I was a little bit prepared when I set mine up. Here's what you do, plug the scanner in and copy the files off of the SD card or download the software from here instead of futzing around with the disc: http://support.eye.fi/downloads/ select your operating system. Once the software is installed, the Eye-Fi helper icon should be live at the top of the menu bar. Next, plug in the scanner to your computer's usb port and to the back of the scanner with the supplied usb cord. Then, power up the scanner and be sure the blue indicators flash, this tells you it is on. Now, go back to the eye-fi icon and hold your mouse over it, it should should prompt you to setup an eye-fi account. Use an email address and password to create your own login. Go back to your phone app and login with this same information. All the other instructions are prompted and pretty straight forward. Once you have it setup you are good to go and don't need to fiddle with it from there.
This is allowing me to do without a fax and flat bed scanner while allowing me to be much more mobile. It's rated at 300 scans on the battery alone so I'm good to go off the grid as well!

3.0 out of 5 stars Complexity is problematic, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
Complex compared to the previous Visonair unit I was using. Windows 8 would not recognize that unit. I will simply have to work through the learning curve. I suspect when I become competent with the system I will be satisfied

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable but not small, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
The wi-fi ability is great! Images from scanning are better than average but not great. Pricey unless you can get it at a discount. The overall size is not small and will fit only in a sturdy briefcase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for mobile business professionals, July 31, 2012
This review is from: Xerox Mobile Wi-fi Scanner (Office Product)
I just received this item 2 days ago and already had to use it in a fully mobile environment with a client. It was wonderful to have something that worked without a clunky laptop attached. It scanned paper, ID's and what not without a hitch.

The only gripe I would have is that if you have documents that have ANY crinkles around the leading edges, it doesn't tend to feed straight. But just reversing the document solved that problem lickety split.

I initialized the eyefi card, then decided NOT to use it due to personal reasons. Scanning to the included card and then downloading was not at all a hassle.

Then when I got back to my office, I plugged it in and in a flash there were all my documents and identification in a snap! Definitely a great product but limited in that it only scans one side at a time.

Being as I want to be able to be TRULY mobile without being tied to a laptop, that suits me just fine!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›