4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy But Not Perfect
Published on December 24, 2012 by Tim

Published 16 months ago by Luke P.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy But Not Perfect, December 24, 2012
Tim (Central Coast California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
I am really happy with the item and it's high quality build. The item is much bigger than I erected as the XMark website put it at just over 7 feet tall, but it is actually just under 8 feet where the punching bag hangs. (the 7 feet is actually where the pull up bars are. Once it is installed and all 50 some odd bolts are tightened the unit stands pretty strong and can handle a 200lb man do any exercise with little movement. You need 17mm and 14mm for the installation and I recommend the use of a ratchet. I will say that the unit is cheaper than purchasing all the items separately and takes up a lot smaller foot print which is nice for a home gym.
I do not however like the fact that the front feet jump up a half-inch or so when I am hitting the bag. I have a 100lb bag on it and although the unit would never tip over and it doesn't really move around, I would prefer if it stayed solid on the ground when the bag is swinging. The weight plate pegs are on the back where the punching bag is. You could put small plates on here, but anything large would get in the way of accessing your punching bag.

Pros
+Strong and Sturdy (except punching bag)
+Affordable and versatile

Cons
-Lifts during use of 100lb bag
-Long assembly
-Weight storage is pretty much useless

Overall, I do recommend this item and I am very happy with my purchase, but I think there is room for improvement. Maybe putting the push up bars on the back and moving the weight pegs to the front could eliminate all my issues, but I am sure someone else would find issues with that.

3.0 out of 5 stars I got my money's worth, but would have liked to have gotten more, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
The whole 'some assembly required' thing aside, this isn't a bad piece of equipment. I'm not a small person, so some things just don't line up for me. I can do pull-ups, but the bars curve on the inside too much so chin-ups are out. The back pad is a little low compared to the arm rest for leg raises, and the arms could be a little farther apart for dips. The sit-up attachment at the bottom might as well go in the trash, but i prefer planks anyway. Most of these wouldn't be a problem for someone that doesn't shop the big-and-tall store, but I also don't recommend a 100lb bag on it. I've added a few hundred pounds to the pegs at the bottom and still have a problem with it walking across the floor, but now where near as bad as without any weight. Consider getting a heavy duty mat to put it on to help distribute the friction and keep it stationary, or if dips and chin-ups aren't important to you, just hang a bag from a ceiling joist.

5.0 out of 5 stars XM-2842 is a great alternative to wall-mounted heavy bag setups and provides additional stations for different workout regimen, September 5, 2014
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
For a tower with a heavy bag attachment and the price I got it for, I have to say it's an excellent investment.

First off I'm 5'7" and a trim (size 32) 176 pounds so I don't have to squeeze into anything on this and the pull-up/chin-up bars are more than adequate enough for me. If your waist line is pushing 40 you might have issues fitting in between the dip bars yet alone getting to the pull-up bar, because the dip bars kind of get in the way.

I initially wanted a wall-mounted bracket for my "banana" bag. I found an X-mark "industrial" heavy bag bracket that would have sufficed, but didn't really feel like installing some cross-members to widen the surface just to fit it. However, I stumbled into this product as an alternative. And the more I thought about it the more I liked the idea of doing some sort of circuit-type workout or drills along with the bag (e.g., 30 pull-ups then hit the bag for a minute straight, then 30 lunges then hit the bag for another minute and so on). Plus it would have to fit in an empty slot in my garage which may need to be moved in case I needed that space (I rigged up some gizmo with heavy duty casters I can use on the floor supports and the middle section that I could place under this equipment so I can roll it away if need be).

Anyway, my Pros about this product:
1. The cost for me was $253 from Wayfair through Amazon, with free shipping (it's hard to beat that).
2. Instructions were easy for me to follow and thus the build was easy, albeit it could be tedious if you don't like having to build a bunch of parts together like an Ikea piece of furniture or something. I like to put things together myself so I'm more intimate with the equipment. So, for me, it was enjoyable just putting it together. Plus I used it to teach my son about using tools.
3. Construction material is of very good quality and the wield work were also very well done. The bolts, washers and nuts are actually of very good quality and are all powder-coated black. Granted, I believe equipment that is wielded together is still better than equipment that is held together by bolts, but for a DIY home workout equipment, it-really is well-constructed; it's no cheap Everlast equipment at Sports Authority, Dicks or something.
4. I like how there is no specific left or right side of it, because the pre-drilled holes and threads can go either way.
5. It has adapters for weight plates so you can use Olympic plates to weigh it down.
6. Again, you can use it for multiple types of exercises; in my case I use it for drills to wear myself out and see how much I have left to still punch and kick a bag.
7. Because this is a separate unit that is not attached to any part of the house/structure, you won't transmit the impact to the walls causing things to shake or something. So, it's quieter. My son's room is directly above the garage area where this sits and he can't hear a thing when I'm hitting away at it.

Cons (sort of):
1. Because it is top-heavy it will somewhat wiggle around as you punch/kick away at a heavy bag. I have rubber mats under this unit so it doesn't really "travel" even if it sometimes sways a bit; it is, after all, compartmentalized with pieces you have to attach to each other, so you'd expect the "wiggling" would come from where two pieces connect regardless of how tight the bolts are. However, where the parts connect, it is quite snug. The stance is wide enough that it would take a tremendous force to knock this thing down; maybe a car hitting it or something. Plus I have a bag anchor so the bag doesn't sway as much causing shifts in weight distribution, thus mitigating the tendency for the unit's legs to sometimes rise a few millimeters.
2. This takes a little bit of time to assemble (it took me a little over 2 hours with layout, inventory, cleanup and my son "helping") and weighs about 120-something pounds in the package. So make sure you coordinate with the delivery person where you want them to drop this off. Otherwise, it's your back. Or you could just open it and bring a chunk of pieces at a time to wherever you're going to place it.
3. Because it's heavy, I expected the package to be somewhat chewed up by the time it got to me. And sure enough it was. However, the distributor or whoever packaged it, the original box was inside another exterior box that absorbed all the thrashing and dragging by the delivery folks. Not to say that's how yours will arrive, but that's how mine came. Although the package looked like I was going to find scratched and missing parts, the actual package was in one piece and all the parts were well-packaged and protected so no damage occurred and no parts were lost. I put the weight as a negative because it is to me even if it's unavoidable. The weight of the product by no means affects my perception of it negatively.
4. I'm not a fan of the cheesy plastic chrome-colored end-caps for the sit-up bar. They should've made that black, in my opinion. The mirror-shine surface of the plastic piece, to me, sort of cheapens the unit.
5. The bars to where the weight plates go will get in the way if you're into "attacking" the bag at all different angles. Basically you can only use the bag effectively while directly in front of it, because if you're standing on either side, you're going to have to watch your feet as they will probably be hindered by the support legs, weight bars on either side and the weight plates you put on there if you so choose. Saying that, it really doesn't bug me.

Tools I used:
Socket wrench with 14mm and 17mm sockets, 14mm ratcheting combination wrench (for the tight spots like the arm pads) and a 17mm open box end wrench to hold the nuts while I tighten the bolts...and a cordless driver for certain spots where I was too lazy to drive bolts manually. If you use something else outside anything that is "ratcheting", like pliers or just an open-box end wrench (adjustable or otherwise), it's going to be bit frustrating and if you're like me you're probably not going to like the scratches you make, as you constantly have to release and engage, on your shiny new black bolt heads.

Bag I'm using for the heavy bag hanger:
KO Fightgear 6-foot (90" with the chains), 100-pound Muay Thai Kickboxing heavy bag (I love this bag! Simple, no-bling bag, but outstandingly hand-constructed.). Distance from hook of heavy bag hanger to floor is 94"; be sure to add a few more inches to that to account for the thread of the hook at the very top if the space you're thinking of placing this is less than the standard ceiling height of 8' (like in a basement or something). I didn't use the carabiner that came with the unit because it was already low enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old School Workout Wins, July 7, 2014
christy (san antonio, tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
My husband loves this stand. We sold a much nicer workout station with weights and pulleys and the works that never got used and replaced it with this simple tower. Perfect for wide pullups for the hubby, but regular old pullups are a little hard for me. When you're used to a pullup bar, this takes a little getting used to. Leg lifts are easy with the handles and padded back, as well as dips. We have a heavy bag on this, and it definitely needs weights to hold it down when the hubs hits it, but it's sturdy and well-made. It's getting used much more than the $2000 machine, but even if it weren't, it wouldn't be such a big deal at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid machinery., February 24, 2014
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
Solid decent stand. Tends to travel when placed on carpet. However, very great for working out and happy with purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good stuff except some bolts and locknuts do not match, September 29, 2014
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
This power tower is awesome.
However, I got a issue in installing it. When I started to install it, I found that the bolt #40 and locknut #17 do not match very well. Cuz there is a half inch gap in the middle for each which makes it unstable. I called and emailed them to send the right bolts and locknuts. But, they probably didnt understand me. They sent me the exact same bolts and lokcnuts as previous.
Finally, I bought a box of washer to fill the gaps by myself. I hv to use 3 washers for each.
But to be honest, this is a very good stuff after I installed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great product, February 2, 2014
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
Good sturdy materials. Has everything one would need. Would have been 5 stars if it didn't rock when the bag is hit. Still a good workout though.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for the price, January 27, 2014
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
Could not believe they shipped a 125lbs. package from Louisiana to WI for free. Packaging was a little beat up on delivery, but it was double packed so everything was fine. Assembly was quick and easy using an impact driver. The unit itself is pretty sturdy. Have a 70lbs. heavy bag on it and it holds up fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the punching bag, November 4, 2014
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
squeaks, moves, too noisey. the pull up bar is in an awkward position. I like the punching bag. but again, the noise.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's very good for workout, September 6, 2014
This review is from: Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand (Sports)
it's very good for workout, but i wish u can give me a spanner for set up this. after i set up this my hand is swelling

Xmark Deluxe Power Tower and Heavy Bag Stand
$449.00 $316.00
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.