5.0 out of 5 stars The Xotic Xpander
Published on July 15, 2011 by geargeek

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but seems noisy
I bought this boost to use in one specific situation. When playing a lead line with my bridge pick up with the tone knob all the way down, my volume drops quite dramatically. This boost does what it says it will do to remedy that, but it also seems to add a lot of noise. When the boost is off, my super high gain Fryette Deliverance 120 is very quiet when I just hold my...
Published 12 months ago by wishbone73

5.0 out of 5 stars The Xotic Xpander, July 15, 2011
I bought this pedal a two months ago mainly for use in the studio. I have used it on a quiet a few sessions so far and absolutely love what this pedal does for my tone. I would not buy this pedal if you were expecting it to only be a squeaky clean machine. In my opinion this pedal is a warming and thickening booster. I basically keep it on all of the time. If you turn on the pedal your amp will get louder, even at it's lowest setting. If (without the pedal) I turn the volume knob of a given amp up louder, I will not get the same sound as I would using the EP Booster. As you probably know...the EP Booster derived from the preamp section of an Echoplex. Most of the time I use the pedal after my Overdrive/Distortion pedals. I love the way it enlarges/thickens and cleans things up that way. If I use the pedal before my Overdrive pedals I still dig the sound, however I feel that it pushes more the sound of the Overdrive in front of it and I hear the EP Booster's effect slightly less. I would and have recommended this pedal to other studio cats and fellow musicians. It's a great deal for a small box that brings so much to the table. I play pop, rock, blues, country and jazz... and find it very effective for all of these styles. Just a little side not. I personally never really turn up the booster past about 2-3 O'clock. I found that I became slightly too aggressive for what I wanted to use it for (maybe that's because of the way it's pushing the amp????).

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and useful., May 2, 2011
I currently have two of these on my pedal board serving different functions in the signal chain. One is in factory settings and is placed before several over drive pedals. In this role it functions purely as a volume boost to drive the various overdrive pedals. The result is an overdrive tone that is much thicker, creamier and has more "punch" than what is produced without the booster in front. Great for boosting the volume output of single coil pickups in this role.

The second EP is in vintage mode (treble is rolled off a bit) after the overdrive pedals. In this role it cleans up the over drive and produces a tone that is difficult for me to describe. Still overdriven, but smooth and very warm. It is possible to achieve a tone that doesn't sound highly saturated but still has the sustain and mild compression associated with highly overdriven signals. There are videos to be found online that do a much better job of describing the tone than I can using words. Point a search engine at "Allen Hinds EP booster".

The EP is the only pedal I can think of where it is worth having two on the board at all times. I should stress that one or both of these pedals are on all the time while I am playing. They don't function for me as a boost in the literal sense, I'm not engaging them to boost my signal during leads. They function as permanent tone shapers in the same way that an eq pedal would. I use other pedals to boost leads (though I am quite certain the EP would do a great job in this role). Further more, I agree with other reviews that describe the EP booster as a way to make mass produced tube amps sound "boutique". This is a pedal I would recommend to any guitar player of any style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pedal, September 11, 2011
Gator (Planet Earth) - See all my reviews
Built like a tank, quality is excellent.... No need for volume pedal... You could also call this an expander. It adds fullness to your sound.....my setup goes like this: Tele to pedal board to Xoitic booster to 65 reissue Princeton amp. The pedal gives the correct boost for solos..... The dip switches give the vintage or added sparkle I need. This is the pedal that Bret Mason (Nashville session guitarist) uses..... See the Youtube demo.....you'll be convinced after that. It performs as advertised .... Great addition to my setup!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixie dust for your guitar, September 21, 2012
A. Bromage (Kirkland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
If you look up reviews for this pedal around the web, you'll hear so many superlatives you may be led to believe that if you peeked inside the pedal, you'd find transistors made from unicorn horn in there. Well, maybe they are. This pedal is that good. I bought other boost pedals, thinking that they must be better since there are more knobs on them. That was a silly (and expensive) mistake. It doesn't seem to matter what guitar or amp you're using. This pedal adds that extra element that brings out the best from your gear and your hands. It works fabulously at feeding a bigger, stronger signal to the front of your amp, but even if you turn the knob all the way down, you still get the magic. It's like in the Wizard of Oz, when the movie turns from black and white to color. You won't ever want to turn it off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just might do the trick..., January 2, 2013
Diyjon (Eastern US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xotic EP Booster Mini EQ Effect Pedal (Electronics)
The EP is a well made little box that fattens up the 'already really nice sounding' signal from the single coils in my strat-- giving my other effects some new-found juice, and allowing me some headroom to use the guitar's volume knob to dial in the sound I want without losing presence at '7'.

Having tried a couple of other boost/pre pedals and I appreciate that the EP doesn't (in my rig at least) add hum or hiss -- and doesn't (as I'm using it) add a 'drive' characteristic to the sound-- it just provides more of what I like. I have the internal switches set to 'bright' mode, and the character of the sound is sweet and plucky. Currently I have it at the head of my signal chain - and always on.

I can't say enough about how much better my other effects sound having a solid signal to work with - it may not be the solution to every problem, but trying out an EP just might make you a believer.

- J

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best thing for any amp, August 30, 2012
REBECCA BARRETT (ROCK HILL, SC, US) - See all my reviews
I don't know how I've played for 25 years without this.... of course it wasn't made back then but still... it's amazing. Something this small and so subtle makes a huge impact on tone. When it is off... you know it's off. They should put the circuit from this thing directly into amps at the plug. Or even have it as an active effect in a guitar why not? It's always gonna be on anyway! It warms everything up and adds a sparkle with the bright switch on. Default is 3+ gain and bright switch on, but I switch both off to keep it at unity in "vintage mode" and when I turn the pedal off, that in your face sounds falls away. Turn it back on and it makes your amp jump out like your head is inside the cabinet. Turn it off and your amp sounds miles away like it did before you plugged into the pedal! I've always been a straight to the amp person but this thing definitely changed my mind a bit. It's like crack! Once you plug into it you can't go back. No matter what amp you are using... cheap or thousands... this thing will make a difference for the better in either. Ya can't go wrong. I'm thinking of buying another for the beginning of my chain as a buffer with bright switch engaged ...or as a volume boost in my effects loop. Hell I may end up having 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars EP Boster, November 23, 2012
not just a booster......creates warmth and exquisite tone.......I'm thinking of getting another one.....just wish they had the pib switches on the outside........

5.0 out of 5 stars Xotic EP Booster, September 7, 2010
If I could give this pedal 6 stars, I would have. Plug in your guitar, step on the foot switch, and your tone simply gets way better. I don't use the gain setting past 8:00, as I don't want my front end of my amp hit hard, to preserve my clean tone, but it does that well too. I got mine before it won an Editors Pick Award from Guitar Player Magazine, and it's one of the few times I really agree with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Boost for Humbuckers, December 28, 2012
This is a very simple boost with a small footprint that fits nicely on the pedal board ... I like the simplicity and the ability to set the dip switches to my liking ... I find that with humbucker pickups it adds just the right, very slight tone coloration that both fattens up the sound and gives it just the right sparkle ... I don't use it much with single coils since they don't seem to benefit as much from the coloration or the treble boost ... it is a good pedal to have on board when you need that little something extra to get the right tone ... built solid ... a quality pedal that should hold up well ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Pedal, April 11, 2011
I'm not into pedals all that much anymore. I'm more into playing directly into a great overdriven tube amp and using the volume nob on my guitar to control the drive. But that being said, the Xotic EP booster is a great pedal. The EP booster has become a pedal that I can't live without. It does a great job of balancing the low end and boosting the highs in a way that will make your tone cut through the mix. Jimmi Page, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Johnson have all used the vintage echo plex eq circuit to enhance their tone. This pedal does a great job of recreating that circuit. It does a great job of taking an overdriven vox or peavey (which can sound a little dark)and exciting the right frequencies to make the overdrive in your amp shine. If you're trying to achieve a clean tone from your amp the added break up that this pedal may produce might not be desirable. But on the overdrive channel of an amp like a stock Fender Deluxe 4X10 or Peavey Classic 50, it sounds great. Well anyway, enough said. If you want a boutique amp but your stuck with your stock fender hot rod for the time being this is a great way to enhance it's tone at an affordable price.

Xotic EP Booster Mini EQ Effect Pedal