Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on January 12, 2012
I ordered this for my wife who very much enjoys cooking and frequently cooks with leafy vegetables. Her previous method of rinsing the leaves and using paper towels to dry them off was time consuming, wasteful, and a hassle that she dreaded. This spinner has made her very happy.

Size:
This is larger than I was expecting which is a good thing. It's just me and the Mrs. here right now, but she likes to cook as if we were a large Italian family. The size of the basket easily holds enough for three or four dinner-sized salads. She rinsed a head of kale earlier this week, and was able to get all of it through in two batches. For two or four people, this is a great size.

The Basket:
The basket doubles as a nice colander. The openings are narrow and it is sturdy. We use it to rinse the veggies before spinning them dry. It also rinses easily and dries quickly.

The Bowl:
The bowl is large and may end up doubling as a mixing bowl for extra-large batches of pancakes. It has three rubber feet on the bottom that do a surprisingly nice job of keeping it in place, even at high spinning speeds. When they get wet they slide around the counter, but on a dry counter top, the bowl really sticks in place.

The Lid:
The lid is heavy (in a good way) and uses two clasps to lock it to the bowl. The top part shown in the picture is attached to an interior lid made of the same plastic as the basket and has holes like the strainer to make it a colander that can be turned completely upside down. The interior lid fits easily without any wiggling or adjusting necessary, and there is a hole in the lid to allow for pouring off the spun-out water while everything is still locked down. The lid also houses the spinner.

The Spinner:
The spinner is constructed very well. I did some load testing to see how it would hold up, and was surprised by how solid it felt. I filled the bowl completely up with water, then started to spin it. It took a little bit to get going, but I was able to get it up to full speed and nothing felt like it was coming apart. I also tested it with a full basket of potatoes, but it was off balance enough that I had to abandon the attempt at about half speed. The mechanism moves easily and lets the basket get to speed very quickly. The knob is hefty, fits nicely in the hand, and is big enough to grip well.

The Brake:
There is no brake. Once it gets going, just let go of the knob and it'll stop eventually. It could have benefited from a a brake.

Overall, the size, form, and function meet our needs and surely exceeded our expectations.
on July 9, 2010
I looked for a while to find the best made salad spinner. I guessed correctly, this is the one. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Large handle
Large strainer
Lid locking tabs
Great value for the price!
The part on the bottom of the lid that clamps down on the strainer is detachable after you unscrew a small knob. This makes for truly easy cleaning. You can get to any leaves that get stuck up in there easily.

I bought two.
55 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2012
For a long, long time I was eyeballing the OXO Good Grips Salad Spinner, but I was having a hard time reconciling spending thirty dollars when there are many other salad spinners that are less expensive. I am usually quite pleased with OXO products.

But I came across this and decided I might like it better because it has a crank handle, rather than the push button the OXO has. When I bought this, I was having problems with aches in my forearms, and I thought the crank might be a little easier on my muscles.

I am far from disappointed. I love this baby! The crank is very easy to work. There are feet on the bottom that keep the spinner firmly planted on the counter while I spin my greens, but those feet don't get stuck to the counter or leave any marks. I'm not sure how many RPM's this will reach, but it will go pretty darn fast. Water passes through the slits in the inner container to the outer container. I can do a head of romaine in about two minutes, without rushing, and most of the water I washed it in comes off. It's big enough to spin a lot of greens at a time, too.

You can also dress your salad with it, by spinning your salad s-l-o-w-l-y, and pouring salad dressing through the pouring hole in the lid.

When I finish, I hand wash and dry it, and reassemble it. After over a year of regular use, it looks and operates like new! This is one of the best kitchen items I've ever bought, anywhere.
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2010
My Son is an Ex-Manager of a Fast Food Restaurant. At home he has destroyed three Salad Spinners in 18 Months. He loves this one so much because of its sturdy, effective construction that he is even spinning Fruit in it. I expect his Shoes will be next.
22 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2010
Very nice product. Very sturdy construction and well manufactured. It definitely does the job well!. My only concernis wih the hard plastic bowl. I amafraid if i were to accidently drop it the wrong way, it would crack or break. I also hand wash it as even if it is dish wqasher safe, I do think it would deteriorate quicker.
on April 10, 2011
This salad spinner looked great when I took it out of the box and it was easy to use (spinning the knob was easy); however when I locked the lid and then tried to open it, one of the latches broke. A plastic dowel snapped right off. I requested a replacement and was sent another spinner within days. Would you believe it? The exact same thing happened with the new spinner. Needless to say, I then requested a refund.
on December 20, 2012
I have purchased 3 salad spinners from Amazon thus far, and this one is close to perfect - if it weren't for plastic shreds that develop when turning the handle.

Maybe I have a bad unit, but when closed and locked the basket grinds against the lid, actually carving grooves into the lid and shredding the basket rim (see pictures). The result is that after every use I have to carefully check the salad and remove these plastic shreds (most of which accumulate on the basket rim). I am not an engineer, but it appears that the basket is too tall and thus leaves no gap between its spinning rim and the stationary lid, causing the two units to rub together.

Update Jan 2013: The company that sells these salad spinners has not yet replied to my product evaluation and concerns about the plastic particles; does this mean that the shredding is a known defect?
review image review image
on September 6, 2010
I bought this salad spinner a few weeks ago and loved it! It gets the job done, and is well built.
on October 10, 2011
Sturdy, well designed and effective. Made you know where, which put me on guard, but this spinner is the best I've had, following a few Oxo and Zyliss spinners that failed over time. My only somewhat negative comment is that this bowl is taller than wide, requiring more water to fill it when first washing such as lettuce. The spinning action is very good. There is a meshed port to pour out the water while keeping the lid on, and also a hole where you can fill with water from a faucet while the lid is on. The lid also has a very secure locking mechanism.
on December 31, 2011
Purchased this spinner through Amazon Prime. Do I need to say how much I love Amazon Prime? The spinner gets 5 stars, not because it's love ( really; it's a salad spinner ) but because it is just what it should be: effective, large enough to handle the job, sturdy, easy to use, easy to clean and priced right. I have had an OXO, and I like this every bit as much.